closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Box and papers

Craftsman

Box and papers

This has probably been done to death but I own a number of s/s Rolex sports watches from the ‘70’s, DRSD, Exp II, Red Sub and a Pepsi GMT. None have original box and papers but they are all genuine, unmolested examples apart from the Exp II (replacement bracelet and second hand). Obviously cannot source papers but is it worth me embarking on now collecting the correct period boxes, manuals and anchors or is this not really worthwhile when contemplating selling a vintage piece, particularly in this forum ?

I look forward to your responses.

Craftsman
    Personally I wouldn’t bother , it’s always going to be an incomplete set without the papers.

At your rate of posting another 5-6 years before you can sell on this forum:-)
    Anyway experts here feel that they might add value ( not sure if incremental value ) but do not add to legitimacy of the watch or security for the buyer. Personally, if I were in your situation I wouldn’t bother. Sell them as they are. If they are genuine they will sell as they are.

Craftsman
    I agree with previous posts and wouldn't bother. If it's a SS Rolex, people will fall over themselves to get it pretty much regardless (for the moment at least).

Master
    There's no harm in having a look. If you're not spending mega daft money then it will make the watch more appealing and possibly fetch that wee bit more. Could be fun sourcing period boxes for them.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    No point if they don’t have papers

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    I agree with previous posts and wouldn't bother. If it's a SS Rolex, people will fall over themselves to get it pretty much regardless (for the moment at least).
    This is nice to know,Ill sell my subs watch and bracelet only, then sell the rest to the guy trying to make up a full set..........win win.

I remember a time when the answer was 'google is your friend' however it now appears to be Instagram,,

https://www.instagram.com/p/By32Zd5H...=10hqtc3jwtip8

BTW as others have said, I wouldn't bother.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by browjam View Post
    This has probably been done to death but I own a number of s/s Rolex sports watches from the ‘70’s, DRSD, Exp II, Red Sub and a Pepsi GMT. None have original box and papers but they are all genuine, unmolested examples apart from the Exp II (replacement bracelet and second hand). Obviously cannot source papers but is it worth me embarking on now collecting the correct period boxes, manuals and anchors or is this not really worthwhile when contemplating selling a vintage piece, particularly in this forum ?

All your watches will be absolutely worthless without box and papers, so you may as well cut your losses and sell them all to me :)

Joking aside - enjoy them for what they are, it sounds like you have a nice collection there and one which will no doubt increase in value regardless of whether you have the associated paperwork.

Mike

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Only worth doing if YOU place a value on having them or enjoy the hunt.
    Your older watches sound like they're from the days where box and papers weren't particularly valued and dumped in the attic never to return.
    If you wish to sell at a later point and add "provenance" a Rolex service card will do the trick for authenticity.

Craftsman

As others have mentioned I don't think this would be worthwhile, especially with the prices charged for all these bits.

They'll still never be completely original.

Do you plan to sell in the near future?

I have a Tudor Sub which doesn't have the bracelet or original hands. I would in an ideal world like to source a genuine bracelet and hands but I find the prices charged for these vintage parts are ridiculous.

I'll just enjoy the watch and probably never sell it or expect a bit less if I do ever sell.

I think beyond a certain age there is definitely less expectation of box/papers. Not sure what the cut off point is

Craftsman
    Thank you all for coming back on this one, fairly unanimous, probably not worth the aggravation for the incremental value.

Will post some pictures up soon .

Blog Entries

Thank you all for coming back on this one, fairly unanimous, probably not worth the aggravation for the incremental value.

Will post some pictures up soon .
    Love to see some Rolex from a period when they have not become bloated jewellery pieces. (Some of which I have succumbed too).

All the best.

Martyn.

Master
    I have a 1999 Rolex Daytona (16520 Zenith model) with no papers and non original period box.

Simple question, how much would it go up in value if it had an original receipt and box and the answer is probably around £1500. The simple truth is that many buyers are daft enough to pay over the odds for a full set and fake papers and boxes are easily available and they are damn good.

I am convinced that there are thousands of collectors with genuine watches packed in a fake box with a fake set of papers and they paid over the odds for the priveledge and what is even worse, is that they will innocently sell the full set on to some other gullible mug. It is an ongoing fraud.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have a 1999 Rolex Daytona (16520 Zenith model) with no papers and non original period box.

Simple question, how much would it go up in value if it had an original receipt and box and the answer is probably around £1500. The simple truth is that many buyers are daft enough to pay over the odds for a full set and fake papers and boxes are easily available and they are damn good.

I am convinced that there are thousands of collectors with genuine watches packed in a fake box with a fake set of papers and they paid over the odds for the priveledge and what is even worse, is that they will innocently sell the full set on to some other gullible mug. It is an ongoing fraud.
    Box and papers on your Zenith would add a lot more than £1500

As a collector of vintage, although box and papers is nice to have its not essential for me
    All of my watches don't have any boxes or papers and when I'm at antique fairs most traders will not sell there watches with the boxes!
    On this basis I have to agree with Mick p there must be loads of vintage watches sold without the correct boxes / papers !

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Box and papers on your Zenith would add a lot more than £1500
    I thought that too