closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Masks

Masks

We went to Freeport in Braintree yesterday, it’s the first non food shopping place we have been to since before Christmas 2019. We were still wearing masks but were easily in the minority, most people weren’t wearing them, in and out of the shops, in most stores the staff weren’t wearing them.

At work we have decided not to change anything yet.

Should we be wearing as we were a month ago or not?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    We went to Freeport in Braintree yesterday, it’s the first non food shopping place we have been to since before Christmas 2019. We were still wearing masks but were easily in the minority, most people weren’t wearing them, in and out of the shops, in most stores the staff weren’t wearing them.

At work we have decided not to change anything yet.

Should we be wearing as we were a month ago or not?
    What's the government advice? It isn't compulsory aside from where mandated by the premises and transport ie TFL say mandatory.

So you will see people wearing them and not wearing them.

There's very little point getting in a twist about it because people will and people won't wear them. I see it as a bit like Brexit in respect of however people endlessly argue on about the merits no one will be changing their opinion.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We still wear masks at work and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
    I consider it my responsibility to my customers and my team.

Most customers follow suit and everything transaction wise is still done out in an open garage bay so it’s as safe as I can make it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    What's the government advice? It isn't compulsory aside from where mandated by the premises and transport ie TFL say mandatory.

So you will see people wearing them and not wearing them.

There's very little point getting in a twist about it because people will and people won't wear them. I see it as a bit like Brexit in respect of however people endlessly argue on about the merits no one will be changing their opinion.
    But leaving the EU won’t kill my gran.

Master
    I'll still be wearing a face covering in shops and similar indoor spaces for the time being. I went round Tesco at Ashby on Thursday evening and was pleasantly surprised to see that about 75% of customers and nearly all of the supermarket staff were wearing them. I don't find comparisons to Brexit very logical or helpful, myself.

The government advice to businesses is to carry out a risk assessment and based on that make the decision, as I said earlier we decided to keep them as we have some narrow corridors that we can’t one way.

I’m going to continue to wear a mask for the foreseeable future.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    We still wear masks at work and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
    I consider it my responsibility to my customers and my team.

Most customers follow suit and everything transaction wise is still done out in an open garage bay so it’s as safe as I can make it.

- - - Updated - - -

But leaving the EU won’t kill my gran.
    Thank you,I have been voting with my feet no masks in shop I leave and I wont use them again even if it all goes away.

I am sorry but I am being very judgemental for all the right reasons,this pandemic has brought out the worst in some people.

Very few people have the relevant medical or scientific training to be able to appraise the evidence base for masks as a method of suppressing transmission. Even those that do still have to abide by the legislation (when it applies) or guidance (likewise).

The issue has been confounded by some of the hard hitting public health messages that were used earlier in the year, which to my mind crossed the line into sowing fear, rather than a heightened sense of caution, into the population.

I have to wear one at work because my employer mandates it. Where I have a choice, I choose not to. I do not judge others for wearing a mask in those settings and I hope this is reciprocated. So far it seems to be, at least in my experience this week so far.

Maybe to be expected to be in Freeport Braintree.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the number of people still wearing masks in our local Tesco.

Blog Entries
    Nothing charges as my workplace fully masked up unless in your work area with no one about , touch point wiped down and fogging at the end of shift , i see maskes as you wear a mask to protect others if you have COVID or if you don’t no you have it , that’s the way I see things anyway but we all see things in different ways I suppose

Journeyman
    I have decided that wearing the masks helps me and my family as well as stopping us spreading the virus to others around us. Its not that difficult to wear a mask when in public, so we are still doing this. We have had staff at shops telling us "Take it off we cant hear you" etc and are often the minority in a shop.

I have noticed that 95% of people still seem to be wearing masks in shops and crowded areas where I live in Norfolk, and I continue to wear one. Apart from anything else I think they serve as a visual reminder to give each other a bit more space and that the virus hasn’t gone away. There are a fair number of elderly people where I live and I think it’s important to think of the community at large. I have to admit I don’t find wearing a mask irritating or difficult in any way, plus the fact I’ve not had a sniffle or cold since the start of the pandemic suggests they have a positive effect! - Tbh even after the pandemic I will wear a mask when travelling on eg the tube - seems sensible imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_Singh View Post
    I have decided that wearing the masks helps me and my family as well as stopping us spreading the virus to others around us. Its not that difficult to wear a mask when in public, so we are still doing this. We have had staff at shops telling us "Take it off we cant hear you" etc and are often the minority in a shop.
    That would be the last time I used the shop. Disgraceful.

We have a skeleton crew in most of our offices at present, and still have social distancing and mask wearing in place. However, I'm also planning for the return to the office of some 8000 people next month and there are some interesting conversations relating to COVID measures taking place, to put it mildly.

IMO we should still be wearing masks where possible. My wife and I wear masks when we go out and avoid shops that are overly busy or have lots people without masks inside.

I get if you're wearing masks all day long at work it's not ideal or comfortable. Likewise if you wear glasses it's really annoying. I've considered getting contacts.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I do not judge others for wearing a mask in those settings and I hope this is reciprocated.
    Sorry, but I find this to be a nonsensical comment. What sort of negative "judgement" could you apply to someone wearing a mask? What possible harm does it do? I wear one primarily so that more vulnerable people will feel more comfortable in public spaces and so that other non-vulnerable people like myself will feel more comfortable to do as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Maybe to be expected to be in Freeport Braintree
    Maybe, we did toss up between there, Lakeside and Bluewater and decided there would be less people there.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I’m going to continue to wear a mask for the foreseeable future.
    Me too. It's no big deal and it's got to help in the fight to diminish the impact of this virus.

Very few people have the relevant medical or scientific training to be able to appraise the evidence base for masks as a method of suppressing transmission. Even those that do still have to abide by the legislation (when it applies) or guidance (likewise).

The issue has been confounded by some of the hard hitting public health messages that were used earlier in the year, which to my mind crossed the line into sowing fear, rather than a heightened sense of caution, into the population.

I have to wear one at work because my employer mandates it. Where I have a choice, I choose not to. I do not judge others for wearing a mask in those settings and I hope this is reciprocated. So far it seems to be, at least in my experience this week so far.
    Not sure that this makes sense. How could you judge someone negatively for wearing a mask that's primarily for the protection and benefit of other people? Strange comment.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Not sure that this makes sense. How could you judge someone negatively for wearing a mask that's primarily for the protection and benefit of other people? Strange comment.
    Not really. I picked up a curry not long ago and two guys were sat eating at the front nearby - I heard one say "look at this twat with his mask. Just stay home if you're that much of a pussy". Charming.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Not really. I picked up a curry not long ago and two guys were sat eating at the front nearby - I heard one say "look at this twat with his mask. Just stay home if you're that much of a pussy". Charming.
    You couldn't make it up.

You couldn't make it up.
    Honestly, it took me a few mins to comprehend. It was so wild that I thought I must have imagined it or misheard. Last curry I got from that place and delivery from elsewhere since.

You couldn't make it up.
    And yet they did, or at least this is predictably what has emerged from the messaging.

Doesn't take much for mask wearing to be interpreted as cowering...not my view.
    Last edited by Passenger; 25th July 2021 at 12:05.

Common sense will tell you to help protect yourself and others.... yes wear one.
    I'm pleased everyone is wearing them in Aldi and other shops I've been in.
    It's the ignorant who are driving this Covid by not complying.

I've been around doing a bit of shopping since the rule change and it's very much some do and some don't here. I've decided to continue to wear a mask whilst indoors in a shop or transport environment. During lockdown and when it was compulsory it was like a swiss cheese anyway, you could have gone out and had a dozen arguments a day about non wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I'll still be wearing a face covering in shops and similar indoor spaces for the time being. I went round Tesco at Ashby on Thursday evening and was pleasantly surprised to see that about 75% of customers and nearly all of the supermarket staff were wearing them. I don't find comparisons to Brexit very logical or helpful, myself.
    Literally one mile from my house! Most people and places round Ashby do seem to be continuing using masks, as are my wife and me. I've no idea if its due to a relatively small population or not. I've no idea what its like on a night as we've not been to the pubs / ate out yet. Maybe we will a week monday after our 2nd jab. Where are you located?

In this case judgement lies on a spectrum: I could be judged as being cavalier for choosing not to wear a mask where it is mandated, with a lack of concern for the health of those around me. I may also judge others who wear masks as being the opposite, full of misplaced anxiety and concern and engaging in behaviour that is unlikely to make a significant difference in the spread of illness.

I want to be clear that I the above is an example, not that I do judge others by those standards.

In this case judgement lies on a spectrum: I could be judged as being cavalier for choosing not to wear a mask where it is mandated, with a lack of concern for the health of those around me. I may also judge others who wear masks as being the opposite, full of misplaced anxiety and concern and engaging in behaviour that is unlikely to make a significant difference in the spread of illness.

I want to be clear that I the above is an example, not that I do judge others by those standards.
    The fact remains that one cohort could be argued to be putting others at risk; and the other is clearly acting in a way to ensure that it doesn't. You can rationalise it any way that you wish, but it's still a nonsensical position to take given the circumstances.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 25th July 2021 at 13:15.

You'd think that Tony but my experience is different and can only see it getting worse for a while. There are many, many people who are prepared to tell you that you're some kind of soft shite for wearing a mask as they were a) never needed anyway because b) COVID was never real and c) it's the Government trying to control us.

We're also on our return to work journey for 60,000 employees, 8000 of which are on my site. The conversations have been really positive up to now generally because the message is that your return will be tailored to your requirements as much as is possible. Our sites are fully compliant with social distancing and sanitising guidance / expectations and that's been great when sites have been 5% occupied but it's going to take significant planning and implementation to get that anywhere near 50% occupancy.

I'll continue to wear a mask for as long as want to. I know the information out there is that they protect others rather than the wearer but our experience is that none of us in our house have had a cough, cold, virus or flu since the pandemic began so we really feel well protected by masks.

When I read about relaxing the rules on masks I presumed it meant we could all wear them below our noses, like the yoof.

Yes still wearing a mask when shopping and avoiding crowded places - but then I've never seen the point in gambling.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

In my experience the overwhelming cohort of below the nose wearers are those over pension age.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    When I read about relaxing the rules on masks I presumed it meant we could all wear them below our noses, like the yoof.

Master
    Was watching some scientific professor doing a demonstration a couple of days ago and he said you’d need 15 masks on for it to be effective to stop the particles in the aerosol and even then it would still fly out of all the gaps where it doesn’t seal.

I only go in my local shop a couple of times a week and occasionally travel by bus. Both are generally empty and staff and drivers are behind screens so I'm going to stop wearing one, but if I ever go somewhere that's very busy I'd probably wear one again.
    I'm also curious to know why so few people wear FFP3 masks when they appear to be the only type that offer any significant protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Was watching some scientific professor doing a demonstration a couple of days ago and he said you’d need 15 masks on for it to be effective to stop the particles in the aerosol and even then it would still fly out of all the gaps where it doesn’t seal.
    Well, it obviously depends on what you're trying to achieve, and what mask you're wearing. For example compare the properties of an FFP3 mask to one of those cheap 3-ply jobbies... totally different.

I had a conversation with one of my team the other day, who was commenting on how he would continue to mask up because he was so concerned about passing anything on to others. His mask had an exhalation valve

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    In my experience the overwhelming cohort of below the nose wearers are those over pension age.

Totally agree with this, the majority of mask free people I've seen have been pensioners, now it's fair to say that as I was shopping off peak I was likely to see more 60+ people but the bulk of the 20-60 age group had kept theirs on.

Think being double jabbed has emboldened quite a few.

Master
    I went to the local supermarket yesterday and only saw one person not wearing a mask. I just walked around him at a distance from him to ensure that he noticed but he didn't give a damn. The social distancing seems to have gone for a burton.

However at Church this morning everyone sat apart, wore masks and disinfected their hands.

Master
    I continue to wear a mask, I can't afford not to.
    If I self need to self isolate then it's SSP for me, that doesn't pay the bills and a couple of sessions of isolation so far plus having time off when the youngest was off school have depleted my savings.

The company I work for is small and an outbreak would close the business, if closed for ten days would it open again? I don't know. But we've all decided to keep wearing masks and taking as many precautions as we can.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

We went to Freeport in Braintree yesterday

I'm so sorry, it must have been awful for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    It's the ignorant who are driving this Covid by not complying.
    Not complying with what? The government has made the wearing of masks voluntary in all settings. There is nothing to comply with so perhaps it's the government who are " … driving this Covid …"?

I’m continuing to wear a mask indoors as long as is recommended. it’s not exactly any kind of hardship, and is good courtesy to others if nothing else. Can’t understand people that don’t think they serve any purpose. You can argue all day over how MUCH difference they make, but they have to make some difference - they cover your mouth and nose ffs!

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Not complying with what? The government has made the wearing of masks voluntary in all settings. There is nothing to comply with so perhaps it's the government who are " … driving this Covid …"?
    Thought someone would have a pop.
    The government/ medical advisers, have said that it still advices people to wear them in crowded places, shops, or anywhere where crowds gather.... that is what I meant by complying... Not too difficult to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    That isn’t correct, the government have moved responsibility to business owners to decide, it is also up to the business owners if they wish to allow non mask wearers on their premises

Master
    That isn’t correct, the government have moved responsibility to business owners to decide, it is also up to the business owners if they wish to allow non mask wearers on their premises
    But local business owners CANT stop non mask wearers going into their premises. This has been the case since masks became mandatory.
    At the start of this pandemic I was still a taxi driver and I had very many people who didn’t wear a mask and when asked to put one on, said they were exempt. I wasn’t legally allowed to refuse them a trip though.
    I lost a taxi driving colleague to covid due to this.

I was in my local (very large) Tesco Extra on Friday and I would estimate that easily 95% of customers, including me, were wearing masks. I can't recall seeing any any advice that wearing a mask is a bad thing. Every little helps.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    But local business owners CANT stop non mask wearers going into their premises. This has been the case since masks became mandatory.
    At the start of this pandemic I was still a taxi driver and I had very many people who didn’t wear a mask and when asked to put one on, said they were exempt. I wasn’t legally allowed to refuse them a trip though.
    Sorry to hear about your colleague. awful.

I think you'll find that businesses can indeed determine who they allow onto their premises, though, provided that any refusal is not on grounds of sex, race, disability, gender, sexual orientation or religious belief. Whether they choose to or not is another matter, and it's possible that refusing entry to a non-mask wearer could be deemed disability discrimination should that person fall within the mask exemption criteria.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 25th July 2021 at 14:17.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Business owners can stop anyone they want going into their premises, just as shops can refuse to sell to anyone they want

Business owners can stop anyone they want going into their premises, just as shops can refuse to sell to anyone they want
    Not quite, but in principle you're correct (see above).

Months from now the government will claim that the people should have taken their advice...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Just back from a trip to Aldi and we, along with (almost) everyone else, had masks on.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I wonder if the place we went to was so bad because it was non food,