closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Urban Gentry?

One of TGV's other channels... it will give you some better understanding of where he is coming from...

Something Fishy
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCisR10cvUZTZE6rr7BAGPyw
    Last edited by abraxas; 30th January 2019 at 12:26.

Quote Originally Posted by neilF183 View Post
    I sometimes feel tgv gives off a false sense of Britishness and plays on it. The earlier videos were better in my opinion
    Whenever I've watched him he seems more passionate about his Italian heritage than British. Haven't watched him in ages mind you, liked him for a while but his presentation style got on my nerves pretty quick.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    Off the back of this thread I watched a few of archie luxury's videos. I found his videos quite hard to watch. I felt the quality of his videos and his general persona left a lot to be desired.
    Archie got fired from his job in the IT industry a few years ago. Up until then, he acted normally, was very knowledgeable and informative. Because he had more time on his hands, after the sacking, he suddenly started to issue one video after another where he swore like a trooper and went off topic.

I genuinely feel sorry for the guy, his life appears to be a mess and he spends most his time making cringeworthy videos that further ruins his reputation.

I just hope that he ups his game and starts to use the knowledge that he undoutedly has.

Archie seems like a sex pest. I'm not sure what is an act and what isn't, either way I need a wash after watching him.
    TGV is on the whole fine, but the whole "Ciao", schtick is pompous at best. He seems to have a love of watches though, can't fault him for that.
    Producer Michael is pretty good, his recent Rolls purchase is nice, the watch he's wearing in the video is worth twice the amount of the car. He seems a nice guy though. But yeah his dress sense is absolutely terrifying.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    But yeah his dress sense is absolutely terrifying.
    He markets his clothing on theUrbanGentry instagram channel! Posts a pic of him out for dinner and someone inevitably asks "cool jacket bro, where can i get it?" to which the answer usually is "check out Amazon page!

Craftsman
    Both TGE and Archie are utterly bizarre blokes.

IN terms of watch YouTubing i like Bark & Jack, Watch & Listen, Watchfinder, Theo & Harris (i know), Teddy Baldassarre..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Indeed. Genuinely screaming wealth. One of his many watches cost $1M (Jacob and Co) and he recently bought another. Crazy expensive wardrobe (that by the way gets given away and completely replaced every 6 months) including rows and rows of pairs of unworn shoes at $5k a pop. I watched a video last night where he casually bought a pair of cufflinks for $25k. Amazingly he manages to do it all with a degree of humility and I kind of like him. That may or may not be a factor in how successful he is.
    I remember when he said he gives his unworn clothes and shoes away... I had visions of some tramp swigging from a bottle, staggering about in bright orange, pointed croc shoes and a diamond studded ostrich jacket.

Master
    I find TGV a bit hit and miss. I like Watchbox but I find WF&Co to be the best by far for information and production quality.

Apprentice
    Producer Michael is pretty good, his recent Rolls purchase is nice, the watch he's wearing in the video is worth twice the amount of the car. He seems a nice guy though. But yeah his dress sense is absolutely terrifying.
    I feel absolutety the same about Michael. Sounds and behaves like a really nice dude, no bollocks, no showoff and so on. No clue why he dresses like a pimp from 80s movie. Also his taste in watches is on the bling bling side.\

And on topic. Watchinder&Co and Watchbox are my favorites. I like the narative tone and overall they sound like pros.
    Archie is bloody awful. Might have all the knowledge in the world, talking like a drunk hobo makes me close youtube after 20-30 seconds.
    Last edited by HABEEB; 30th January 2019 at 18:01.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    I really enjoy Bark and Jack despite not owning a Rolex - he talks sense & I like the style of the videos.
    Yeah i like Adrian's videos and i think he's a genuine guy (that doesn't mind a bit of piss taking as well). Also his videos are not over long as i think the likes of Archie Luxury's are (as my understanding is they get paid more by Google for stringing the videos out).

TGV i've followed from the start and i like his style, enthusiasm (and collection!). Hope he's ok as i know he's had health problems but he did say in his end-of-2018 video that he's working on something big, so hopefully that explains his radio silence.

Quite like Federico too but would love to know how he and TGV fell out (never did find out). Armand the Watch Guy i quite like sometimes, especially if i have a hangover as his voice is calming.

The bloke from Theo & Harris (whatever his name is) irritates me to hell, and i found Archie entertaining to start with but his bulls**t just grated with me in the end so haven't watched any of his for about two years.

EDIT sorry Teddy it wasn't you.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 30th January 2019 at 19:04.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WillHarris2306 View Post
    Yeah i like Adrian's videos and i think he's a genuine guy (that doesn't mind a bit of piss taking as well). Also his videos are not over long as i think the likes of Archie Luxury's are (as my understanding is they get paid more by Google for stringing the videos out).

TGV i've followed from the start and i like his style, enthusiasm (and collection!). Hope he's ok as i know he's had health problems but he did say in his end-of-2018 video that he's working on something big, so hopefully that explains his radio silence.

Quite like Federico too but would love to know how he and TGV fell out (never did find out). Armand the Watch Guy i quite like sometimes, especially if i have a hangover as his voice is calming.

The bloke from Theo & Harris (whatever his name is) irritates me to hell, and i found Archie entertaining to start with but his bulls**t just grated with me in the end so haven't watched any of his for about two years.

EDIT sorry Teddy it wasn't you.
    Echo this. Adrian is doing it right and the chap from Theo and Harris seems so far up his own arse he doesn't know if it is night or day!

Adrian compared to archie, TGV etc is just a modern youtuber you gets what makes an interesting and entertaining video, whether about watches or not. It is 10mins, good production, good image quality, nice voice over. I hope he does well and keeps making videos.

as per willharris, I too like Armand the Watch Guy , young guy , knows his stuff, does basic watches as well, and his voice does not make my ears bleed like archies ( when he shouts!) , also Armand just talks its not about look at me me me .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch1956 View Post
    as per willharris, I too like Armand the Watch Guy , young guy , knows his stuff, does basic watches as well, and his voice does not make my ears bleed like archies ( when he shouts!) , also Armand just talks its not about look at me me me .
    I agree mitch. I've heard comments in the past that his videos are just a narrative with stock photos, but for me that's the whole charm. Simple but works, and long may he continue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Archie has had his say, in his erm, usual style.

https://youtu.be/UNaTYWJkxl4

More...

https://youtu.be/sjBPotX5Z-I

Master
    Archie has had his say, in his erm, usual style.

https://youtu.be/UNaTYWJkxl4

More...

https://youtu.be/sjBPotX5Z-I
    "you gotta eat a sh1t sandwich"

"This is poo Tube not uTube"
    Last edited by BillN; 31st January 2019 at 13:06.

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but his Grand Seiko video has gone missing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blog Entries
    I'll be honest I've noticed the normal layout of videos that appeared when you click the urban gentry has sort of changed.

Sent via smoke signal using Tapatalk

Archie strikes me as somewhere between Dame Edna and the Pub Landlord. Both of which I found more entertaining.
    TVG takes quite a while to state the obvious. That said you could do worse.
    Tim Mosso I find hit and miss - the hits are worth the twaddle in between.

its all very subjective - best just to keep the info flowing - It is up to individuals to apply their own bullshit filters to all the media guff !

A couple of years old but nevertheless still interesting.

HOW MUCH DO I MAKE FROM YOUTUBE ? International YouTuber ArchieLuxury reveals
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OZdlSmc7o

Enough of the negativity. A youtube channel I thoroughly enjoy is Bill Sanders'... Here is a taste:

#27 Grandmasters Pick 'Affordable' Watches
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ehJP2Oz7hgs

Master
    When I first came across The Urban Gentry channel I really did not want to like TGV but I found myself watching more and more of his videos; call it morbid curiosity. That was then, now [as a subscriber] I'm disappointed every time I login to YouTube to find Tristano hasn't uploaded any new content.

That aside, some top tips in this thread in terms of recommendations. Should keep me occupied!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    When I first came across The Urban Gentry channel I really did not want to like TGV but I found myself watching more and more of his videos; call it morbid curiosity. That was then, now [as a subscriber] I'm disappointed every time I login to YouTube to find Tristano hasn't uploaded any new content.

That aside, some top tips in this thread in terms of recommendations. Should keep me occupied!
    apparently, rumour has it that he has breached copyright by using just a few instagram images, the person who took the images has registered a complaint with Tube and they have stopped him posting new content for a period of time, (I think that it maybe 3 months, but maybe longer), plus he has had to take down some content. Bound to happen as he posts so much stuff and presumably has always taken content and images from the web.

As I said just a rumour ...... maybe he will tell his subscribers one day what has happened

Pity really as he does produce some good stuff and I think earns his money from the quality and content of his videos, OK he is not always right, but is anybody

Master
    As best I can tell, this account stems from Archie Luxury , oozing malice. Shameful stuff.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    As best I can tell, this account stems from Archie Luxury , oozing malice. Shameful stuff.
    Im not following your statement.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sc-texas View Post
    Im not following your statement.

It’s simple. The stuff about TGV being shut-down is being spread over You-Tube by Archie, Take a look, you’l see.
    I have no fondness for TGV, but this stuff is nasty.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    It’s simple. All the stuff about TGV being shut-down is being spread over You-Tube by Archie, who, as I said, oozes malice against a more successful competitor. Take a look, you’l see.
    I have no fondness for TGV, but this stuff is nasty.
    Got it. But is urban shutdown? This may actually be driving more traffic to tgvs channel than ever before

Master
    Got it. But is urban shutdown? This may actually be driving more traffic to tgvs channel than ever before

Archie has done himself no favours at all with this stuff.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Truth

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Yeah, coz up until now he's been a model of diplomacy, restraint and respect.... ;-)

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Truth

It's all very childish.

Watching some of the early Archie videos it becomes clear that Archie was nice to him, gave him plenty of advice, and then TGV turned a bit nasty and ditched him. He built a similar relationship with Federico and then did something similar. It seems that he is viciously competitive and protects his own channel in terms of revenue. Frankly I find that the guy comes across as a bit of a snake, and he'll get no views from me. If he's off the air don't worry, you're only missing out on his 27th video about an SKX or trying to flog you a Squale.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    It's all very childish.

Watching some of the early Archie videos it becomes clear that Archie was nice to him, gave him plenty of advice, and then TGV turned a bit nasty and ditched him. He built a similar relationship with Federico and then did something similar. It seems that he is viciously competitive and protects his own channel in terms of revenue. Frankly I find that the guy comes across as a bit of a snake, and he'll get no views from me. If he's off the air don't worry, you're only missing out on his 27th video about an SKX or trying to flog you a Squale.

No love for the Lion Shark, then? you know thats an extra special Squale...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by matt109 View Post
    No love for the Lion Shark, then? you know thats an extra special Squale...
    Haha indeed! People are mad enough to buy them though still...

There is a Facebook group... "The Urban Gentry Defector Group". It reminded me when Eddie started TZ-UK after it became apparent that Timezone.com were not friendly...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Plus his aristo background. I stopped watching him because of your point, my point and his mid-atlantic accent grates greatly.
    Ha what's all this mid-atlantic accent business? I thought he was predominantly British but with a few yankee-isms thrown in for good measure.

Sent via smoke signal using Tapatalk

Journeyman

Urban Gentry?

Well all I know is that I posted a polite question on TGV’s Instagram asking whether he would tell us about the video silence. It was deleted after 2 days. 99% of the comments are arselicking or from friends so I imagine that any comments not wholly positive are deleted as well.

There is something very sinister about the Urban Gentry, I mean in a Scientology kind of way. I’ve heard that people get banned from the FB group very easily, for not towing the line. He is trying to establish a cult of personality and this is why I unsubscribed.

I don’t like nasty manipulating snakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Urban Gentry Is back!

He's back folks!

Master
    Good. He's an enthusiast regardless of any perceived WIS crimes he's accused of.

Master
    oooh prs-25 dissing and Rolex on Everest content... let battle commence...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    oooh prs-25 dissing and Rolex on Everest content... let battle commence...
    "Nowadays they're made by.. ..I believe they're called Timefactors?"

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    "Nowadays they're made by.. ..I believe they're called Timefactors?"
    He knows who it's made by, it's all part of his schtick.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D View Post
    I wasn't sure if he was patronising me on Instagram about the Rolex Vs Smith's debate on which was first up Everest. Anyway he responded that he bought a Smith's !

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D View Post
    After watching his latest video , I'm a little disappointed with his remarks towards the PRS -25 . He won it in an auction and is clearly not impressed which is strange. He almost seems surprised also that it has a miyota movement.

I've got to say considering his affectation with all things British and horological I'd of thought he would be a little more positive. I think he damn well knows who owns Smiths and probably been on the forum

Although looking again I think he is confused as to why Smith's (being one of or the first watch up Everest depending on your viewpoint ) is bore on the PRS -25 . Maybe because it's an amalgamation of Rolex 1016 and the name of Sir Hilary's other watch it takes on a sort of double oxymoronic tone. To the average tz-er we totally get it and watched the development back when the first edition was released so it's DNA is justified and inspired. To the late comer being TGV he's missed the party and hasn't a clue what it represents.

I think if his pending review video disappointments in the MK1 range from case size, dial colour, hash markers and acrylic - someone needs to school him in the merits of the PRS -25 36mm . I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that the issue is was with what many others felt after the MK1, hence the revised version

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bond; 5th March 2019 at 21:17.

The AC3 livestream this Friday will be worth tuning in for.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    The AC3 livestream this Friday will be worth tuning in for.
    Indeed. I go through a cycle of finding him utterly banal so I unsubscribe for a while then I get drawn back in. I'm currently in the later stages of finding it oddly compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    After watching his latest video , I'm a little disappointed with his remarks towards the PRS -25 . He won it in an auction and is clearly not impressed which is strange. He almost seems surprised also that it has a miyota movement.......
    Please correct me if I am wrong but the way I understand it is that the 40mm PRS-25 with the long indices had an ETA movement whereas the current one with the short indices has the Miyota. If I am correct then the model TGV has (with the long indices) should have an ETA in it.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Please correct me if I am wrong but the way I understand it is that the 40mm PRS-25 with the long indices had an ETA movement whereas the current one with the short indices has the Miyota. If I am correct then the model TGV has (with the long indices) should have an ETA in it.
    The first version also uses a Miyota, the 9015.

https://www.watcharama.com/smiths-everest-prs-25/
    F.T.F.A.

OK thanks.

Craftsman
    There has been plenty of very positive posting from PRS-25 36mm owners on the Urban Gentry facebook page. If TGV is not aware of the differences to the original Everest, then I can only assume he can't be bothered to read any of the posts. I've lost a lot of respect for him for how he has dealt with his YouTube absence. The copyright thing is easily searchable on watchuseek, including participation in the thread of the guy who actually brought the action. The standard "one strike" punishment for infringement of copyright on YouTube is a 90 day ban, and lo and behold, TGV starts posting again after 90 days. Should have just fessed up, acknowledge that he made a mistake, apologise, update his videos accordingly, and move on. That would have been the gentlemanly thing to do. Instead we have all this crapola about sick relatives.

Journeyman
    Archie wasnt happy with the "rat" being back on youtube was he. lol!!!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    apparently, rumour has it that he has breached copyright by using just a few instagram images, the person who took the images has registered a complaint with Tube and they have stopped him posting new content for a period of time, (I think that it maybe 3 months, but maybe longer), plus he has had to take down some content. Bound to happen as he posts so much stuff and presumably has always taken content and images from the web.

As I said just a rumour ...... maybe he will tell his subscribers one day what has happened

Pity really as he does produce some good stuff and I think earns his money from the quality and content of his videos, OK he is not always right, but is anybody

Gerald-D (the photographer of the photo in question) is a member of WUS, he commented in their thread.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/urb...l#post48064001

It’s a long thread, people on both sides commented, but the link is to a page with a comment from Gerald and why he did it.

A Facebook page is commenting that UG is back on YouTube now and that he is saying he was on vacation and ill and that’s why he hasn’t put up a new video. They also say he is deleting their comments asking about Gerald’s picture. UG had a chance to admit he made a mistake and tell the truth, he didn’t. He chose to not address it and make it like it never happened. I didn’t mind UG’s videos much, he was a little better than the average YouTube, but after how he handled this, in my opinion he doesn’t walk upright like a man. The way he is handling it so far, the truth will never be told by UG.