closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another newbie

Another newbie

Morning All I just wanted to say hi. Since the new 50 post before you can see SC rule, I have been encouraged to post more. I do think this is a good idea Eddie, but in the short term I am sure will be frustrated.
    Anyway, I am a 23 year old engineering PhD student (works on car engines) and I have an unhealthy interest in watches. I like collect both modern and vintage watches, normally with classic styling and which I consider to be technically interesting.

A shot of my everyday ‘beater’ to start with:

Regards, Ben

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Re: Another newbie

Hi Ben & welcome to the Forum.....that's a hell of a beater you've got-very nice indeed.Obviously the student grant are more generous than in my day! :D

Blog Entries

WElcome from Holland Ben.
    That's one hell of a beater :shock:
    For some of us that would be a lifetime achievement :)

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Hello and welcome from another new member - feel free to post some more pics of your collection :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    +1 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Welcome BEN :D
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by village
    Hi Ben & welcome to the Forum.....that's a hell of a beater you've got-very nice indeed.Obviously the student grant are more generous than in my day! :D
    LOL. A few years living on beans on toast and no heating to save up for that one! Yeah the Port Auto is my favourite. It is the perfect everyday watch, as the 7 day power reserve allows me to wear other watches whilst that is running down.

Journeyman

That's a beauty, Ben. Congratulations! Think I was still wearing a Swatch when I was 23 and only started repaying my student loan...

Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke
    Hello and welcome from another new member - feel free to post some more pics of your collection :-)
    I will have to get taking some more photos! Here is my very first mechanical watch:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

hello and welcome to THE forum

cheers
    mike :wink:

Craftsman

Wow that is your beater, what else do you own?

Quote Originally Posted by wotson
    That's a beauty, Ben. Congratulations! Think I was still wearing a Swatch when I was 23 and only started repaying my student loan...

Welcome to the forum!
    Being a student I get very little money (funding for my PhD), but when I get a plan in my head I will try really hard to achieve it. I saved for over ten years for one motorcycle, and that was from when I was 7 years old!

nice watch :)

how do they wear as they are quite big?

Not a typical student watch :D

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo
    Wow that is your beater, what else do you own?
    I need to start taking photos, but my other modern watches include a JLC Reverso Grande Automatique and a Speedbird 3. The vintage pieces include a GP Gyromatic, Omega, Longines, Swiss pocket watch plus a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny
    nice watch :)

how do they wear as they are quite big?

Not a typical student watch :D
    It wears very well, because the lugs curve down plenty. It is big and looks big (all dial), but even with my skinny wrists (must have been living off beans on toast!) it is fine.

Master

Hi Ben :wave:

What's the story behind the 'joepotts' username?

Great first post. Sounds like you have a potentially interesting career ahead of you :)

Craftsman

Hi Ben, welcome. Nice IWC.

Craftsman

Welcome to the forum from another relative newbie

Ian :)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM
    Hi Ben :wave:

What's the story behind the 'joepotts' username?

Great first post. Sounds like you have a potentially interesting career ahead of you :)
    The Joepotts username comes from a famous Scottish Engineer who made very quick racing motorcycles and cars. Joe entered some of the best motorcyclists of the 50's and 60's on his bikes and won many important races. Joepotts7 is the final Manx Norton engine that Joe made for Bob Mcintyre, and I am lucky enough to own. This is the bike I saved for 10 years for:

I should add that I am from the same wonderful city as our host - Sheffield. I am currently living in Nottingham. A shot that will mean something to anyone from Sheffield:

Grand Master

Hello & welcome to the forum .. nice IWC. As for a beater, hell all watches are beaters, after all they are made to be worn!
    /vince ..

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    Hello & welcome to the forum .. nice IWC. As for a beater, hell all watches are beaters, after all they are made to be worn!
    I completely agree.

Journeyman

Took me until I was 40 to get an IWC - then put was able to put two more in the cupboard in the following years.

But that is a cracker of a watch and one to keep and pass on once you get past being a "struggling" PhD student .

I particularly like to hear that younger guys are into the vintage kit - means the demand for service parts will continue and hopefully the manufacturers will see that and continue to support the collectors - well done.

Craftsman

Very nice beater!
    Not sure I would be brave enough.

Master

Welcome and that's a great looking beater you have.

Craftsman

Hi Ben. Nice watch but the Norton is truley sublime! :mrgreen: Enjoy the forum.
    Mark

Master

A warm welcome to you Ben. Lovely IWC btw :thumbright:

Quote Originally Posted by Karm
    Hi Ben. Nice watch but the Norton is truley sublime! :mrgreen: Enjoy the forum.
    Mark
    Cheers Mark. It took me a good few years to restore it (last time it ran was 1963). When I was in my late teens girls were never impressed by the Manx Norton engine in my bedroom!

Quote Originally Posted by zambo
    Took me until I was 40 to get an IWC - then put was able to put two more in the cupboard in the following years.

But that is a cracker of a watch and one to keep and pass on once you get past being a "struggling" PhD student .

I particularly like to hear that younger guys are into the vintage kit - means the demand for service parts will continue and hopefully the manufacturers will see that and continue to support the collectors - well done.
    IWCs are great watches. I enjoy borrowing my dad's flieger chronograph (normally involves a swap for one of mine). Vintage watches are lovely. Beautifully made and at a sensible price (well the ones I can afford). I would like to do a watch repair course of some kind in the future.

Craftsman

Welcome Ben - great watch, great bike!!
    I work about 100 yards from the Henderson's Relish factory...smells fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by stifflersmom
    Welcome Ben - great watch, great bike!!
    I work about 100 yards from the Henderson's Relish factory...smells fantastic.
    Eye it does indeed. Where do you work? When I was taking that photo a couple of police guys stopped me to ask about the bike. I also took some shots down by Kelham Island (and naturally had to go to the Fat Cat for lunch).

Craftsman

Ben, just out of curiosity, has Lord March invited your bike to be entered into the Goodwood Revival Barry Sheene memorial trophy- with its provenance it looks like it should be a good entrant.

btw, I work in the Innovation Centre, midway between Hendersons and the Engineering faculty on Mappin St.

Hi Ben, I am going through the same 50 post rigmarole. Will be posting a few more banal comments soon!

Ben, just out of curiosity, has Lord March invited your bike to be entered into the Goodwood Revival Barry Sheene memorial trophy- with its provenance it looks like it should be a good entrant.

btw, I work in the Innovation Centre, midway between Hendersons and the Engineering faculty on Mappin St.
    JP7 would be perfect for Goodwood, but most of those machines are Replicas - and hence much faster than the originals. JP7 has done his real racing (in 1962 was once described as the fastest single cylinder bike in the world - made it 3rd fastest in the world after the two MVs), and has never done any classic racing. I will parade JP7, but I would not race him.

My dad works in Civil Engineering on Mappin Street.

Quote Originally Posted by biggyd
    Hi Ben, I am going through the same 50 post rigmarole. Will be posting a few more banal comments soon!
    LOL Mine have been banal comments with talk about motorbikes - I am clearly failing at this watch forum thing!

Craftsman

LOL Mine have been banal comments with talk about motorbikes - I am clearly failing at this watch forum thing!
    IMO this has been one of the most interesting introduction posts...the IWC is a great watch but people will have seen/heard of it before. The bikes also have history and a great backstory too. Following the discussion about SC, this thread epitomises why the lurkers should come out of hiding.

IMO this has been one of the most interesting introduction posts...the IWC is a great watch but people will have seen/heard of it before. The bikes also have history and a great backstory too. Following the discussion about SC, this thread epitomises why the lurkers should come out of hiding.
    Thank you. Well if it's classic racing bikes or cars you want to know about..... I have spent many years researching the full histores of my bikes/cars and the people who made them. It adds character to know all the race results and all the funny stories behind them. As well as making racing motorbikes Joe Potts also made some single seater racing cars in the early 1950's. Here is a rear shot of a JP:

A very warm welcome to you Ben.

Glad to see you illustrating how easy it is to make posts and get mutual enthusiasm going, and not just for watches either. Well done :)

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    A very warm welcome to you Ben.

Glad to see you illustrating how easy it is to make posts and get mutual enthusiasm going, and not just for watches either. Well done :)
    Cheers David.

Welcome to the forum. That's a rather nice IWC and motorbike combination and is probably one of the most engaging first posts I've seen for a bit.

Can one of our Northern brethren explain to me what Henderson's Relish tastes like - is it like Worcester sauce or am I barking up the wrong tree? I will have to see what the availability is like in this part of the world; London that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne
    Welcome to the forum. That's a rather nice IWC and motorbike combination and is probably one of the most engaging first posts I've seen for a bit.

Can one of our Northern brethren explain to me what Henderson's Relish tastes like - is it like Worcester sauce or am I barking up the wrong tree? I will have to see what the availability is like in this part of the world; London that is.
    You can't go round saying that Henderson's tastes like Worcester sauce! It is a very Sheffield specific product, and it is amazing on pies, Spag Bol, chips, crisps and just about anything! It is like Worcester sauce (I never said that :wink: ), but doesn't have anchovies (and is hence Veggie society approved)

Master

Only here can you get such an eclectic mix of conversation in one post :lol:

Surreal and yet very enjoyable. Keep it up Ben!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM
    Only here can you get such an eclectic mix of conversation in one post :lol:

Surreal and yet very enjoyable. Keep it up Ben!
    Really you don't want to encourage me :lol:

Master

Welcome :)

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by biggyd

And another, not being one for chat, I think I might struggle to get to 50 post,s :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON
    +1 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Welcome BEN :D
    +1....Just love it.

Dave

Welcome to the forum :)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

What a beautiful watch - my beater's an old Seiko quartz!

Be careful working on those engines!!

Quote Originally Posted by ctgent
    What a beautiful watch - my beater's an old Seiko quartz!

Be careful working on those engines!!
    I know! I have caught it on the engine during a rebuild before :cry:

Blog Entries

And, what a great Norton 8) 8)

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

And, what a great Norton 8) 8)

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Cheers Daddel. The Manx is my 'baby'.