closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: OK Another can of worms!

OK Another can of worms!

Having recently opened a can of worms regarding the "Rolex Myth"!! What in your opinion is the world best watch and why?

Re: OK Another can of worms!

Best in what sense? :D

Quote Originally Posted by shadowninja
    Best in what sense? :D
    In any way you like! 8)

OK - I choose VFM. Seiko SKX007J on oyster, or one of Eddie's creations, probably the SBIII.

Master

Accuracy, ruggedness, function and bang for the buck? Probably a G-Shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol
    OK - I choose VFM. Seiko SKX007J on oyster, or one of Eddie's creations, probably the SBIII.

Yeh, I have a lot of respect for Seiko stuff, had quite a few myself. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by outstretchedhands
    Accuracy, ruggedness, function and bang for the buck? Probably a G-Shock.

They seem to be quite a hit with squaddies these days, I guess they can take the knocks in Basra, well so my mates soldier son in law tells me.

In a game of watch conkers, a metal G-shock. :twisted:

Quote Originally Posted by shadowninja
    In a game of watch conkers, a metal G-shock. :twisted:

MMMMMM ! :)

Master

IMHO there can be no best... all watches have some form of usp or intended use that makes them different. Hence why probably every member on here has more than one.

If you want to ask whats the best watch, a wrist watch that is a device that goes on your wrist and tells the time and serves no purpose other than that, probably a simple face radio controlled or quartz one... (dare I say it, a bit like mobile phones I suppose everything else is outwith/inaddition to the intended purpose)

My 2p... must be up to about 10 or 12p on here now...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by BigD
    IMHO there can be no best... all watches have some form of usp or intended use that makes them different. Hence why probably every member on here has more than one.

If you want to ask whats the best watch, a wrist watch that is a device that goes on your wrist and tells the time and serves no purpose other than that, probably a simple face radio controlled or quartz one... (dare I say it, a bit like mobile phones I suppose everything else is outwith/inaddition to the intended purpose)

My 2p... must be up to about 10 or 12p on here now...

Dave
    Very well said Dave! I know exactly what you mean there mate!! :wink:

Thomas Reid

Nary a worm in sight.

They certainly aren't the best against any reasonable criterion, but the watches I wear most often are the ones I put together myself. For me, the technologically most interesting are fly back, rattrapante timers, that sing (repeaters). The most beautiful, have cylinder shaped cases, very subtle enamel dials, blue shaped hands, and cases with very subtle patterns around the cylinder.[1]

1. Too often artisans making dials and cases want to show off their virtuosity rather than do what's best for the dial or case. The watch also looks more expensive when they do this, so marketing folks like it.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper
    What in your opinion is the world best watch and why?
    What is the point, it's all so subjective.
    Ask 50 different members and you'll likely get 50 different watches.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales

Dave

Yeh spot on Dave! Thats the whole point of the excercise. To see what different people "see" as the best and "why" they see it like they do. It is VERY subjective!

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    Nary a worm in sight.

They certainly aren't the best against any reasonable criterion, but the watches I wear most often are the ones I put together myself. For me, the technologically most interesting are fly back, rattrapante timers, that sing (repeaters). The most beautiful, have cylinder shaped cases, very subtle enamel dials, blue shaped hands, and cases with very subtle patterns around the cylinder.[1]

1. Too often artisans making dials and cases want to show off their virtuosity rather than do what's best for the dial or case. The watch also looks more expensive when they do this, so marketing folks like it.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    The FF 96 I looks great, well done!

OK lets make it a bit easier! To some the functions of a particular watch may make it the best, to others it may be the appearance of the thing. There may be others who value a particular brand name above all else, some may have more complex reasons for thinking that a watch is the best.
    So how about saying "if you could only own one watch, what would it be"?
    That should simplify things somewhat!! 8)

For me it would be a Patek Philippe 5960P. Amazing watch and right on the limit of what I would actually wear and not keep tucked away in a vault :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiSmyZ7nO6s

Banned

Dave
    +1. Absolutely spot on.

Move on :lol:

Craftsman

Good grief, Im not sure I could put my finger on which watch I would crown the bets in the world.....there are so many!

IWC 3714 is probably my favourite, but if it was the only watch I could own, would it be that one...I don't know.

BP FF is one of the classiest looking watches I have ever seen, and with some great heritage too.

Omega 2531.80 is probably the world's best buy in terms of looks, popularity and price.

Ulysse Nardin MMD ranks high on my list of divers, it's a true beauty, but then so does the Glashutte Sports Evo Pano Date

I really could go on, but listed above are the kinds of watches I would put into the ring with eachother to fight it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza
    For me it would be a Patek Philippe 5960P. Amazing watch and right on the limit of what I would actually wear and not keep tucked away in a vault :D

Nice, I like Pateks! 8)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza
    I love it, was even lucky enough to see one in the flesh at my AD. Pictures dont do it justice... A lot of loot...

Quote Originally Posted by JCowley
    Good grief, Im not sure I could put my finger on which watch I would crown the bets in the world.....there are so many!

IWC 3714 is probably my favourite, but if it was the only watch I could own, would it be that one...I don't know.

BP FF is one of the classiest looking watches I have ever seen, and with some great heritage too.

Omega 2531.80 is probably the world's best buy in terms of looks, popularity and price.

Ulysse Nardin MMD ranks high on my list of divers, it's a true beauty, but then so does the Glashutte Sports Evo Pano Date

I really could go on, but listed above are the kinds of watches I would put into the ring with eachother to fight it out.
    Well, some interesting stuff there mate!

As others have said all watches basically do the same thing-tell the time.I believe with Rolex it is about the perception that Rolex are a quality brand so there is also demand for their watches and why they fetch good prices.You could by a Rolex which is 40 years old but you could still pay 3k for it,how many other brands could you say that about.

If you took to someone who cares little about watches you could bet they would know Rolex as an elite brand.

Its like saying why do BMW cars keep their value and that is because there is a perception of quality even though many of us would scratch are heads and wonder why!

Johnny

Master

Piece of cake.

I want to get laid. The best watch is therefore a yellow gold Rolex.

Cheers
    /john

Quote Originally Posted by johnny
    As others have said all watches basically do the same thing-tell the time.I believe with Rolex it is about the perception that Rolex are a quality brand so there is also demand for their watches and why they fetch good prices.You could by a Rolex which is 40 years old but you could still pay 3k for it,how many other brands could you say that about.

If you took to someone who cares little about watches you could bet they would know Rolex as an elite brand.

Its like saying why do BMW cars keep their value and that is because there is a perception of quality even though many of us would scratch are heads and wonder why!

Johnny
    I know exactly what you mean, I drove BMW's for about 12 years. I must say that I no longer drive one as they seemed to lose the plot about seven our eight years ago. Yes an elite brand indeed, just like Rolex!
    So if we view Rolex as an investment, not as superior engineering, then they do make sense. But so does IWC and Patek! And most chavs do not have a Patek or an IWC, but they may have a Rolex (or fake) and maybe a BMW too!
    BMW and Rolex do not generally seem to have the panache which they once had.
    :(

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede
    Piece of cake.

I want to get laid. The best watch is therefore a yellow gold Rolex.

Cheers
    /john

:lol: :lol: 8)

Dave
    Thus, enabling one to make 50 different replies and 50 different posts. Genius! Why didn't I think of that. :wink: :lol:

Another Dave.

Well if I had to choose just one watch only, for me it would have to be a Citizen Skyhawk AT, why? Because it keeps great time, has loads of functions, decent lume, solar powered, self adjusts via atomic clocks in most parts of the world etc. It looks fairly good, even if it is rather complicated, considering all what it does, it is very reasonably priced too.
    Yes I have far more costly watches, but for me the Skyhawk just ticks all the boxes.
    I doubt if anyone else will share my view, but that's life and I'm used to it! 8)

[quote=millie-mail]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dave in Wales":10b98ugr

Dave
    Thus, enabling one to make 50 different replies and 50 different posts. Genius! Why didn't I think of that. :wink: :lol:

Another Dave.[/quote:10b98ugr]

He He :lol: :lol: :lol:

nothing

but Rolex

[quote=millie-mail]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dave in Wales":1780mese

Dave

Another Dave.[/quote:1780mese]

Why would you want to think of it? :?:

[quote=millie-mail]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dave in Wales":1gjv3p0e

Dave

Another Dave.[/quote:1gjv3p0e]

You beat me to it. But don't worry, we'll all be watching SC!! :wink:

[quote=Skipper]
    Quote Originally Posted by millie-mail
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dave in Wales":168fkmmw

Dave

Another Dave.
    He He :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote:168fkmmw]
    Maybe, youv'e answered your own question?

Dave.

[quote=millie-mail][quote=Skipper]
    Quote Originally Posted by "millie-mail":1fmd6pne
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dave in Wales":1fmd6pne

Dave

Another Dave.
    He He :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote:1fmd6pne]
    Maybe, youv'e answered your own question?

Dave.[/quote:1fmd6pne]

8)

I'm going to put a filter in, banning posts like this. Has anyone noticed these posts only come from newbies? You might as well try to find the ideal woman.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Has anyone noticed these posts only come from newbies?
    One way to get to 50 posts I suppose :roll:
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

You might as well try to find the ideal woman.

Eddie
    Mrs Beard has read this and instructed me to inform you that her husband has already accomplished this. If I don't she will beat me (and not in a good way). :D

Master

I'm going to put a filter in, banning posts like this. Has anyone noticed these posts only come from newbies? You might as well try to find the ideal woman.
    Eddie
    Is it by definition something bad with these posts including general questions? Maybe someone found it interesting or maybe it could have been if more serious posts followed the initial one, instead of the humorous and or negative posts?
    Most of the watch world is based on subjective opinions IMO.
    And a lot of +1 and 8) seem to be produced from most members here including heavy posters and me.
    I think "newbies" in some cases really brightens the day and have noticed on this forum a sort of frown upon those "newbies" who doesn't immediately bow to the informal house rules.
    Anyways, I guess I'll be called a newbie (sub 1000 posts...) for writing this.

The 50 post rule before SC has created some dynamic posting from the "newbies" (a slightly condescending term I don't fully agree with), some good and some less good.

Cheers
    /john

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede
    Eddie
    Is it by definition something bad with these posts including general questions? Maybe someone found it interesting or maybe it could have been if more serious posts followed the initial one, instead of the humorous and or negative posts?
    Most of the watch world is based on subjective opinions IMO.
    And a lot of +1 and 8) seem to be produced from most members here including heavy posters and me.
    I think "newbies" in some cases really brightens the day and have noticed on this forum a sort of frown upon those "newbies" who doesn't immediately bow to the informal house rules.
    Anyways, I guess I'll be called a newbie (sub 1000 posts...) for writing this.

The 50 post rule before SC has created some dynamic posting from the "newbies" (a slightly condescending term I don't fully agree with), some good and some less good.

Cheers
    /john
    What a very enlightened reply, well done. Yes I am a newbie and I really could not care less about 50 posts. I have no intention of using SC. I just like to get opinions about some things,but in every walk of life you will find some for whom new equals a threat of some sort! A shame but there it is!
    I will admit to having a passion for a wind up though. And for using smilies too :lol:

[quote=rocket-roy]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dave in Wales":8org9xds

Dave
    +1. Absolutely spot on.

Move on :lol:[/quote:8org9xds]

+ 2

Master

Eddie
    A collection of watches is surely a lot easier to maintain than a collection of women... :wink:

I struggle with one... but dont tell her I said that :shock:

IS THIS WALI INCARNATION NO.4 !!!!!!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    CAN'T BE. HE can spell and use punctuation! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by jk103
    True, but remember Wali was pretty coherent until late at night when the pills came out to play !!!!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by jk103
    True, but remember Wali was pretty coherent until late at night when the pills came out to play !!!!
    :lol: :lol: Very True :lol: :lol:

Master
    Skipper, perhaps you haven't realised but you've already exceeded the 50 post requirement to access the sales corner.

Hence, there's no more need for these utterly pointless threads.

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by DeusIrae
    Skipper, perhaps you haven't realised but you've already exceeded the 50 post requirement to access the sales corner.

Hence, there's no more need for these utterly pointless threads.

Pointless may be your opinion! However I did not even know that one required 50 posts to get onto SC. I do not need to access SC anyway! Thanks for your input.