closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch Strategy?

Watch Strategy?

With price rises seemingly happening every five minutes with some of the top brands I wondered whether It might be better to take a different approach to which I ask you opinions.

If I have 3k to spend instead of looking at the top brands and buying just one watch would I be better looking at buying three or four of the"lesser" branded watches but which are still excellent in their own right.

So I could buy:
    a)One vintage Rolex or:
    b)One Longines,One Seiko+One Baume&Mercier

I guess in the long term the Rolex would hold its value the best but I like the idea of having several different to choose from.
    If it was up to you guys which option would you take and if you chose 3 watches for three grand which would they be?

Re: Watch Strategy?

It's a no brainer. Buy several from SC and have a lot more fun looking and waiting and wearing. Without the depreciation! :D
    F.T.F.A.

It's an interesting one and I think most of us have been through the stage of buying several "cheaper" watches then selling them all and buying one expensive piece.

For me, I bought a few ~£500 pieces over some months then sold them to purchase one more expensive piece. Then buy some cheaper pieces over the following months. So it's kind of using the watches as a savings scheme to get to the special watch :) Only really works if you buy correctly though, so not new (too much depreciation) and in very very good second hand condition. Unlikely to make a profit in a short space of time but buy well and you can easily get your money back in a few months.

Hope that helps!

It certainly does help but any suggestions on watch makes to choose?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny
    It certainly does help but any suggestions on watch makes to choose?
    You won't get a truly helpful reply to this. It's all down to your taste and what you like the look of. This is where the fun starts, decisions, decisions! :wink:
    F.T.F.A.

Master

FWIW I'd go for one Rolex sports model( if you like them), and be done with it

Are you looking to buy a watch(es) with the aim of not losing any money or because you actually like them?

:?

Master

If you want a Rolex, get a Rolex.
    What's the point of buying other watches that-despite being very nice and all-are simply not what you want?

Alex

Alex you are probably right,the Rolex Submariner date it is then!!

Craftsman

I agree with the buy it if its what you want, especially if you can afford it... For some of us we buy other watches simply because the watch we want is still out of reach (and we are bad at saving) and eventually sell them off to get the one we want when the sum of the resale value of all our other watches matches the watch we want...

other times its an availability issue... I buy other watches because the watch i do want is not available and I want to buy a watch...

Whatever it is, Good luck...

Master

Agree with others...much better to buy the watch you want, whether is be expensive or cheap. For me though having 3 x £1,000 watches doesn't equal 1 x £3,000 watch. If you're after a classic all purpose watch that won't deprecite much and goes as well with a suit than it does with jeans then you can't go wrong with a rolex sub.

You might find though that once you have one nice watch you'll start convincing yourself that you probably need another one....and another one....and another one...

Buy the one you really want, anything else is just delaying the inevitable.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day