closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ocean 2000 homage

Master

Ocean 2000 homage

Well it was only a matter of time;

http://cgi.ebay.it/OROLOGIO-TCM-SEA-FIR ... 5001r11011

Also sold by Tempusrei but they only have a graphic.

Shame about the dial, hands and date window not quite looking right together. Might have got onto the wish list otherwise.

Re: Ocean 2000 homage

Bit of an insult to the genuine article for me............
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

i cant make it out from the pic, another classic piss poor fleabay tactic :evil:

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff
    i cant make it out from the pic, another classic piss poor fleabay tactic :evil:

Click on the small photos in the gallery and they become more than big enough :)

Quote Originally Posted by NJH
    Well it was only a matter of time;

Shame about the dial, hands and date window not quite looking right together. Might have got onto the wish list otherwise.
    I'm surprised in a way that it has taken this long, but not surprised that it is a pretty poor effort - I agree the dial and hands are just dreadful....
    and it's not particularly cheap either :!:

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff

Click on the small photos in the gallery and they become more than big enough :)
    so they do, cheers mate

I thought that whole idea of a homage is that it should be of a higher spec than the original ...

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Master

Yes it is pretty poor, I don't think it would have to have a higher spec but it should at least have something the original didn't have. Porsche Design did this themselves with their own Eterna made take on a modern Ocean 2000 with a much more conventional bezel but I don't like the target cross dial on that one. They occasionally turn up in fleabay auctions at very tempting prices but have an equally nonsensical RRP to this Italian mess.

IMHO an Ocean 2000 homage would have to start from the look of the bundeswehr ones rather then the civvie one, so much cooler looking.

More of an insult, than a homage IMHO
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford
    I'm surprised in a way that it has taken this long, but not surprised that it is a pretty poor effort - I agree the dial and hands are just dreadful....
    and it's not particularly cheap either :!:
    I appreciate to effort... A little overdue IMO - just me being a little tired of the classical submariner style watches :wink:

I had hoped that someone - possibly Bill Yao from MkIIWatches - would have considered a Ocean Bund case & dial homage. Even a matte steel version would be sufficent for my taste IF it had the "exact" same design, dimensions and appearance of the original.

Well, just have to keep one's fingers crossed that someone else will do a better job at a proper homage :bounce:

Merry christmas,

That is truly ugly. I had to close the page immediately!

I agree that any homage needs to be of the Bund version, but think it should be done in Ti. One of the most attractive characteristics of the original is that it is so compact, light and comfortable on the wrist. Steel wouldn't give you anything like the wrist feel of Ti.

Apprentice

Don't get me wrong, I prefer titanium over steel any day.
    My point being, a titanium version would be the optimal homage.

However, a matte steel or PVD homage would be better than no homage at all. You have to take the production costs and possible manufacturing difficulties of titanium into account. If titanium is feasible then great. If not, I'll still keep my fingers crossed for a future homage in any kind of metal.

It all comes down to retail price. If the price is reasonable and the design kept exactly as the original, I would buy 2-3 PD/IWC Ocean Bund homage watches in a heartbeat.