TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: REVIEW: Zenith Defy Extreme Diver 42.5mm 95.9601.3620/51.I301

Blog Entries

REVIEW: Zenith Defy Extreme Diver 42.5mm 95.9601.3620/51.I301

Manufacture: Zenith
    Model Name: Defy Extreme Diver
    Model Number: 95.9601.3620/51.I301

Pre-amble:
    Zenith introduced this at WoW Geneva 2024. I think it is one of the best releases from that fair. Apparently it is the reintroduction of modern dive watches from Zenith, not done since the 1969. They have been produced re-releases including the A3648, but the Defy Extreme Diver is a newly created watch.

Characteristics:
    Case is Grade 5 titanium alloy (titanium, aluminium and vanadium) with angular brushed and polished finish. There is an unusual dodecahedron section in between the bezel and crystal.

The ceramic bezel is fully lumed on numerics and triangular 12 o´clock marker. The oversized hands are also lumed as well as all indices and the second hand tip. An orange rehaute and orange skeleton hands with the edge of the second hand tip - is a nod back to the fully orange A3648 and really makes the watch face pop. Bezel is 120 click with ridges making it easy to operate even with gloves.

I think the wider case compared to the revival piece it balances the 15.5mm thickness (which could be attributed partly to the included integral helium escape valve, as well as the thicker display case back).

This watch is designed to professional dive standards as follows so I am comfortable wearing this into the pool and a bit of snorkelling:

What appeals to me is the very short lugs

Compared to dial diameter - (quoted case diameter is 42.5mm)

A comparison:
    Compared to my Omega SMP 300 Bond SE Ti I present a few pictures. You can see the case width is almost identical and the Omega is a little wider lug-lug

Here you can see the case depth shows the Zenith is quite a bit thicker and a more complex form.

The Zenith has an automatic He escape valve in the case the Omega a manual one - more marketing than practicality, but present nevertheless.

Faces show that the dial sizes are very similar, the bezel on the Omega is wider than the Zenith, though the Zenith seems to be more easy to read.

Strap / bracelets / clasps:
    The Zenith is provided 3. An excellent rubber strap colour matched to the watch face - with deployant clasp. Bracelet is full Ti to match the case, but is the double screw head fixture and I haven't been able to resize it - I think the screws are locked in so will try applying some heat to loosen them. The provided Nato is attached with the included 2 fixtures that provide feed through loops for any Nato (I think 20mm but will check) - very clever. The case has an easy change system - just press the button and this releases the strap / bracelet.

Here it is on wrist compared to my Omega:

Comparing the Defy Extreme Diver to another Zenith release this year - the Skyline Chronograph which looks very similar to a AP RO? I think the Diver is more interesting but others may think otherwise.

Movement:
    Its movement is the El Primero 3620 SC running at 36'000 Vph with a 60h power reserve. It is somewhat unusual to have a 3 hander with an El Primero movement but that is what we have here. The same movement is in the Skyline range. It is viewable from the crystal case back and has the star shaped winding weight. While wearing it is running within better than COSC timings.

From Worn&Wound review:
    [/IMG]https://wornandwound.com/library/uploads/2024/08/Zenith_Defy-Extreme_5.jpg[/IMG]

Thoughts and conclusions:
    This watch may not suit everyone, but it suites me. Its styling is a bit "left field" and is on the side of casual rather than formal. Some describe it as a "summer watch", but where I live it is summer for 9 months of the year so fits in well. I was looking for a rugged, high quality, something different watch, not too big but not small (goldilocks size). I am very happy with this. I think this will stay in my little collection for a while.

Being Ti it wears very comfortably and is easy to wear on both Nato and rubber straps. The bracelet does not have any micro adjust which is my gripe along with the double screw fixtures make it a pain to alter. This means I have not tried the bracelet on yet. TBH I find the rubber so comfortable I'm not sure if I will wear it on anything else.

I'll get some pictures on the provided Nato soon but meanwhile here is one last shot

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 23rd August 2024 at 22:28.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG