closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: They've made a mockery of first class post

They've made a mockery of first class post

It isn't very often that I post a letter from home, today I needed to, the Royal Mail have changed all of the post boxes near me to 9:30 the following day, the only way to achieve next day is to go to the post office, pay to park and pass it over the counter, most people don't post letters first thing in the morning, I remember when you timed letters to beat the last post. It's another nail in their coffin

Its nonsense.

They still collect at the same time (here anyway), but it gives them the freedom to change their routes and collect earlier if they want to without being 'wrong'.

Our collection time (on the box) has changed to 9.30am but still gets collected at 12.30 - 13.00 every day.

Master
    Just check the day tab

Don't think they ever change the day tag on ours.

No change to collections here (Bedford) they just can't be bothered to deliver anything. We regularly get large mail dumps (as in a weeks worth in one go) on a Sunday. Sometimes these get dumped in other house letterboxes and the neighbour has to bring it over. In one case a neighbour had his mail dumped over the fence into his garden.
    On Sunday I didn't receive any Father's Day cards, they arrived on Monday. Both posted first class, one on Thursday, the other a week ago on Tuesday.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    No change to collections here (Bedford) they just can't be bothered to deliver anything. We regularly get large mail dumps (as in a weeks worth in one go) on a Sunday. Sometimes these get dumped in other house letterboxes and the neighbour has to bring it over. In one case a neighbour had his mail dumped over the fence into his garden.
    On Sunday I didn't receive any Father's Day cards, they arrived on Monday. Both posted first class, one on Thursday, the other a week ago on Tuesday.
    Yeap, major staff shortages , rounds that are too big. A Royal mess if there ever was one !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember many moons ago, you could almost set your watch to the postman delivering at 7.30am without fail. That over the years has given way to sometime in the afternoon.

Our post was delivered at 4:45 yesterday.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

9:30, you're lucky - here they are 9am. If I miss 9am, I walk to my PO. For those who can't, just as well other options are available.

[As for my local postie, very reliable late morning delivery and with a smile - great service.]

Master
    Its of our own making, we piled into E mail big time and wreaked havoc on there business. Other factors to, i used to post 30 cheques a month for my accounts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post

[As for my local postie, very reliable late morning delivery and with a smile - great service.]

Yes up until a few months ago, we had a regular reliable postie, then it all went to pot. She disappeared and postmen we have never seen before turn up at all times and days. Never see the same one twice now. The layout of the estate does confuse them so the sight of a bewildered lost-looking postman is the norm.
    We see post vans driving round the estate on Sunday, delivering parcels. From what I have read they are prioritising parcels and have no-one left to deliver the mail due to staff shortages. This seemed to happen all of a sudden though.

Yes agree with above.

There’s just no way multiple deliveries (and everyone by 10am) or collections is viable with the lower volumes of mail posted.

Master
    Hasn’t a foreign spiv just bought the Royal Mail just wait when that kicks in and a first class letter takes a month to arrive and a second class stamp goes up to £20 you will be longing for the service you have now

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

They've made a mockery of first class post

Virtually little to no post during the week but get a fair bit of a weekend even on a Sunday!

B

Master
    Ahhh I remember a nap on the sofa at 08:30 inbetween 1st and 2nd delivery

Craftsman
    They’ve done the same near us which is a bit defeatist.

At the same time, I really like the free parcel collection service, works very well but must be costing them a fortune

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post

At the same time, I really like the free parcel collection service, works very well but must be costing them a fortune

A postie will be near your address at some point during the day, and somebody would have to collect it from the post office anyway, so the real cost is time.

That’s why deliveries have shifted later and later, that and changes to the distribution network and removal of ‘2nd deliveries’ which turned out was a ‘mop up’ service anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post

The odd thing is the charge you £0.20 if you deliver it to the post office yourself

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    The odd thing is the charge you £0.20 if you deliver it to the post office yourself
    Because they are separate companies- I think you’ll find it’s cheaper via the app but using the post office to drop it off will cost you 20p - presumably their fee

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post

I'm in Mid-Beds, and it's not much better.

All the local post boxes now have a single 9am collection. You have to travel a mile or two to a post-office to send anything after that point.

I also find that if I am sending virtually anything of importance or value even if it is just a few quid, I have to pay for tracking otherwise it's complete pot luck if it will be delivered.

Twice in the past couple of months I have sent valuable items by Express 24 and it has taken seven and nine days respectively for them to be delivered, during which the "tracking" system on their website indicated they were lost.

I went in to the post-office yesterday to send a standard size paperback book to two seperate friends in the USA. Royal Mail are now charging £20 for each package. ie twice the price of the book to send it.

I was not prepared to pay forty quid to send two books, so I ordered them from Amazon to be delivered to them. Delivery cost was therefore £2 per book.

It's absolutely hopeless. Yet another national service and institution that is failing.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Yet another national service and institution that is failing.
    It was always doomed to fail, the daily delivery everywhere requirement is the problem as it’s just far too expensive to do. That and the lack of mail generating revenue through the system its never going to work. We’ve moved on from mass mail being the norm and is now seen as something quaint and old fashioned, I can see it in the future being something like Amazon drop boxes for drop off and collection through there system.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I'm in Mid-Beds, and it's not much better.

All the local post boxes now have a single 9am collection. You have to travel a mile or two to a post-office to send anything after that point.

I also find that if I am sending virtually anything of importance or value even if it is just a few quid, I have to pay for tracking otherwise it's complete pot luck if it will be delivered.

Twice in the past couple of months I have sent valuable items by Express 24 and it has taken seven and nine days respectively for them to be delivered, during which the "tracking" system on their website indicated they were lost.

I went in to the post-office yesterday to send a standard size paperback book to two seperate friends in the USA. Royal Mail are now charging £20 for each package. ie twice the price of the book to send it.

I was not prepared to pay forty quid to send two books, so I ordered them from Amazon to be delivered to them. Delivery cost was therefore £2 per book.

It's absolutely hopeless. Yet another national service and institution that is failing.
    Either that was an extremely heavy paperback or they were mistaken- international economy for a small parcel up to 250g is £7.50
    Even at 1/2kg it’s about £10

Master
    Posties are great round here.

The lad who delivers to my work knows I don’t work Fridays so gives my post the lad who comes to the house. And vice versa.

Or if something needs signed they’ll just leave it for me round the back. Prices always on the creep, but locally I have good service.

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    It was always doomed to fail, the daily delivery everywhere requirement is the problem as it’s just far too expensive to do. That and the lack of mail generating revenue through the system its never going to work. We’ve moved on from mass mail being the norm and is now seen as something quaint and old fashioned, I can see it in the future being something like Amazon drop boxes for drop off and collection through there system.

It's a self fulfilling prophecy, if the service is bad and expensive and most of the competition isn't it has to fail

Master
    Our posties are pretty good, ok delivery is rarely early morning but I don't get anything important often so even midday is fine, collections have shifted to around 4pm away from rush hour! between 4.30/5/30pm although last lift at local sorting office is 6.30. Never use 1st class since next day guarantee was dropped, 2nd is likely to be as quick.

Another successful privatisation.

Master
    I had a watch delivered by RMSD this week. Every previous time the postie has knocked and waited for me to answer, then asked me to sign. This time he dumped it on the doorstep, knocked once and walked off. Luckily I was watching for him and picked it up right away. I checked the website and there was a random squiggle showing for a signature.
    Very poor IMHO

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Master
    I applied for (and have been granted) a postal vote three weeks ago and, surprise surprise, it hasn’t arrived yet. Away for a week from Thursday so not entirely sure what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I applied for (and have been granted) a postal vote three weeks ago and, surprise surprise, it hasn’t arrived yet. Away for a week from Thursday so not entirely sure what to do.
    I had a similar issue in May, though if you've applied so recently I'm not too surprised you haven't received it yet.

Your Council should have a helpline for these kind of issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I applied for mine 7 days ago, received e-mail confirmation 3 days later, and my postal vote arrived in the post today. Excellent service. Hopefully yours is en route.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I had a similar issue in May, though if you've applied so recently I'm not too surprised you haven't received it yet.

Your Council should have a helpline for these kind of issues.
    I sent an email to the council yesterday and, to my great surprise, I actually heard back earlier today. They said they can arrange for another postal vote to be picked up from their office if the original doesn’t show

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I applied for mine 7 days ago, received e-mail confirmation 3 days later, and my postal vote arrived in the post today. Excellent service. Hopefully yours is en route.
    Given reports of postmen writing comments on election leaflets, if you've got any party stickers in your windows that the postie doesn't like it may 'get mislaid'.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Not sure if things are the same but not all postal votes are delivered by RM - in past elections some were delivered my local council employees

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Not sure if things are the same but not all postal votes are delivered by RM - in past elections some were delivered my local council employees
    Thanks Lewie that’s interesting. From the wording in the email I received I assume it was posted, but it’s not definitive.

Probably being old-fashioned here but anyone else walking to their polling station?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Probably being old-fashioned here but anyone else walking to their polling station?
    Wow that is a blast from the past!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, Shanks pony for me.

Master
    Not from Peru I’m not

Master
    With the village hall polling station being only 200m away from where I live, it would be a bit rude not to!

I posted eight small parcels 2nd class (with the optional 20p extra that is now available in main post offices that means the postman has to scan it on delivery) around midday on Monday.
    Two were marked as delivered Tuesday, and the rest Wednesday (today). Pretty good going I think.
    Other than at peak times like Christmas 1st class is a waste of money anyway, its not like they are going to put the 2nd class parcels on a shelf for a day simply because they are 2nd class.