closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 368 of 369 FirstFirst ... 268318358366367368369 LastLast
Results 18,351 to 18,400 of 18405

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thank you, but I'm pretty sure there are some free spaces in the harbour car park - I just can't seem to find them via Google.
    Haven't been to Whitstable for a while but from memory it's neither a fun drive/ride from Canterbury and through the town because of the traffic, nor an easy place to park. The harbour is either empty or full, hardly anything in between. Don't remember any free spaces as everything was subject to a ticket machine; be careful not to park where on the left after the entrance as it's the RNLI station (wasn't obvious a few years ago unless you knew).
    The harbour was not a bad place to be (we used to have a stall there), for a bite or to have a stroll on the beach but I'd suggest you'll be happy to drop the bike even if you have to pay when you find a space.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Looking at Google Street View, there's a round red-bordered No Motorcycles sign outside the Gorrell Tank car park with text underneath that seems to say "Motorcycle Parking at Whitstable Harbour".

The sign on the Harbour Car Park does have a picture of a motorcycle, but the text is to small to be read.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I found the 850 incredibly tall and unwieldy. In fact, a low 1250GS is a far more manageable bike, despite its on-paper specs.
    I’m sure I’ll also find that to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Wouldn't that ruin the engine?
    lolz

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    There a site that shows free spaces in car parks but it’s showing none at all in Whitstable
    https://bikebays.io/places/england/canterbury/
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Haven't been to Whitstable for a while but from memory it's neither a fun drive/ride from Canterbury and through the town because of the traffic, nor an easy place to park. The harbour is either empty or full, hardly anything in between. Don't remember any free spaces as everything was subject to a ticket machine; be careful not to park where on the left after the entrance as it's the RNLI station (wasn't obvious a few years ago unless you knew).
    The harbour was not a bad place to be (we used to have a stall there), for a bite or to have a stroll on the beach but I'd suggest you'll be happy to drop the bike even if you have to pay when you find a space.
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Looking at Google Street View, there's a round red-bordered No Motorcycles sign outside the Gorrell Tank car park with text underneath that seems to say "Motorcycle Parking at Whitstable Harbour".

The sign on the Harbour Car Park does have a picture of a motorcycle, but the text is too small to be read.
    Thanks all. I’m staying in Seasalter, which appears to be about a 2 mile walk from the harbour… I guess walking it is, then.

That's my fear, Ian - I only have a 30" inseam so may find that I can't even test it.
    You lanky buggers always have to rub my nose in it with your ridiculously long legs, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    You lanky buggers always have to rub my nose in it with your ridiculously long legs, don't you?
    You don’t have short legs, you have improved balance thanks to a low centre of gravity.

Master
    I’m sure I’ll also find that to be the case.

lolz

Thanks all. I’m staying in Seasalter, which appears to be about a 2 mile walk from the harbour… I guess walking it is, then.
    When are you visiting Tony

Motorcycle parking used to be available here (very limited space) 51°21'46.2"N 1°01'33.4"E (put in Google maps).

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Motorcycle parking used to be available here (very limited space) 51°21'46.2"N 1°01'33.4"E (put in Google maps).
    photo of spot

Went for a spin on these naughty boys:

The 990 was surprisingly light and nimble; and has a pretty comfortable riding position.
    Its big brother is the beast

You don’t have short legs, you have improved balance thanks to a low centre of gravity.
    If only that was true.

Thanks, both!

When are you visiting Tony
    Going down Sunday morning, and heading home Tuesday afternoon. Happy to hook up for a ride if you’re around!

At the dealership selling me the 2019 Street Twin, I was asking about top box, centre stand, and mudguard extender options.

I was told that if I got them fitted at the same time as they do the pre-delivery service / MOT, then I would save on labour charges. And, obvs, it gets it all done and dusted.

Is there reason to shy away from the official Triumph options for those three things? The bracket for the top box isn't too high / back / or big, so doesn't look awful when the top box isn't on.

The prices do look quite sensible (at least to eyes that had been looking official Honda equivalents recently)

At the dealership selling me the 2019 Street Twin, I was asking about top box, centre stand, and mudguard extender options.

I was told that if I got them fitted at the same time as they do the pre-delivery service / MOT, then I would save on labour charges. And, obvs, it gets it all done and dusted.

Is there reason to shy away from the official Triumph options for those three things? The bracket for the top box isn't too high / back / or big, so doesn't look awful when the top box isn't on.

The prices do look quite sensible (at least to eyes that had been looking official Honda equivalents recently)
    Always think you're better off with OEM parts, especially the centre stand.

Master
    Any reason for a centre stand ?
    I know on my T7 they weigh a ton-
    Not a fan of a top box either but I must say it was quite hard when I was away in Tenerife riding - I prefer a tail pack or some soft panniers

Blast out to the Viking ship this morning- fantastic weather
    https://www.visitkent.co.uk/attracti...ip-hugin-2824/
    Last edited by lewie; 21st June 2024 at 13:27.

Any reason for a centre stand ?
    I know on my T7 they weigh a ton-
    Not a fan of a top box either but I must say it was quite hard when I was away in Tenerife riding - I prefer a tail pack or some soft panniers

Blast out to the Viking ship this morning- fantastic weather
    https://www.visitkent.co.uk/attracti...ip-hugin-2824/
    Chain maintenance for starters.

The centre stand on that bike is superb - very easy to use (both on and off it).

Decided to get around the parking issue by staying in Whitstable itself (booked one of the Fisherman's Huts, right on the beach)!

Master
    Chain maintenance for starters.

The centre stand on that bike is superb - very easy to use (both on and off it).
    I opted for a paddock stand

Yes, that works too, of course… can’t take it with you though

Not much good if you're out on the road or tracks for a week..

Definitely worth getting the centre stand fitted by the dealership.

I don't think Triumph do a mudguard extender, so that would be aftermarket, but again worth getting the dealer to do it as it likely involves drilling the original mudguard & makes them responsible if Mr Cockup comes to town.

The Triumph rack is good and solid and a decent choice, and takes about 5 minutes to fit or remove. Get the dealer to give you the original mounting bolts in case you decide to take it off; some just bin them. Note that the design is specifically for the top box mounting plate, so you can't use it like a traditional rack if the top box is removed. Likely not a problem, but worth knowing just in case. The mounting plate and box are Givi and adhere to their Monolock system, so you could choose to use a different box instead of the Triumph one. There are 60 for sale used on eBay at the moment and a quick look at sold prices suggests you can get a good one for under £40.

I've been trying to understand the Givi system - am I understanding right that the base looks like a nice luggage rack...

...and then this removable interface...

...joins that to the top box?

Having that rack-like Givi base rather than the Triumph base would both look nicer and also be more useful if I wanted to use my rollbag rather than the topbox. The upside of the Triumph would be one key for ignition / fixing the box to the rack / locking the box, right?

Both the Triumph and the Givi base seem to be at the same height as the pillion seat, which looks nice.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 22nd June 2024 at 08:34.

the hard case usually comes with a base plate that fits to the rack system you have shown

I've been trying to understand the Givi system - am I understanding right that the base looks like a nice luggage rack...
    Not the way Triumph have done it.

Triumph sell 2 different racks for the bike, one that looks like the one you showed and one specifically made for the top box fitting.

Have a look at this:- https://www.triumphinstructions.com/...9758366-EN.pdf

The way triumph do it, the mounting plate comes with the rack and it bolts neatly to the 4 mounting holes, the box comes without a mounting plate. The more generic way of doing it is to buy a rack (which won't come with a mounting plate) and a top box (which might).

Typically Givi Monolock style boxes (lighter construction) do come with a universal mounting plate. Their Monokey range of boxes (heavier construction) don't and you have to buy one separately.

The mounting plate you showed was a Monokey plate.

Having that rack-like Givi base rather than the Triumph base would both look nicer and also be more useful if I wanted to use my rollbag rather than the topbox. The upside of the Triumph would be one key for ignition / fixing the box to the rack / locking the box, right?

Both the Triumph and the Givi base seem to be at the same height as the pillion seat, which looks nice.
    The nice thing about the Triumph rack design is that the plate bolts on directly rather than using universal clamps and it isn't too far back. Often when fitting a top box to racks like the non-top-box-mounting Triumph one (A9758341), the plate has to be mounted further back because of the position of the grabrail.

I don't think the Triumph top box comes with a matched key. I think it's a straightforward Givi key, but might be Triumph branded.

The price of the Triumph top box rack is pretty good though; prices do fluctuate (I think I paid £35 for the ones I bought to cut up new from Triumph in 2020) but even at current prices the A9758366 is about half the price of the A9758341

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    the hard case usually comes with a base plate that fits to the rack system you have shown

** video **
    Thank you for that - getting from good-looking luggage rack to fitted top box is a little more faff than I had realised, very useful to see what I would be having to do if I was wanting to swap back and forth.

(which is probably more than I would be bothered with; knowing me, the top box will be on as good as permanently, as I really do fancy the thought of having somewhere to park my helmet when I'm off the bike - very bored of hauling it everywhere)

Not the way Triumph have done it.
    I wrote Givi rather Triumph because I was meaning the Givi branded products rather than the Triumph branded products.

Man in Dealership said it would be one key for ignition and top box, but will get confirmation.

Man In Dealership also said that there's a Triumph mudguard extender.

I'll probably go official stuff for all three.

Man In Dealership also said that there's a Triumph mudguard extender.
    Didn't realise that.

Master
    Blog Entries

I would opt for the centre stand it makes life easier.

Top box is a no for me I dont like them.

I always buy a fenda extenda (easy to fit) if the Triumph one is a fair price get it.

https://pyramidmoto.co.uk/collection...RoCldEQAvD_BwE

Master
    I can't seem to avoid making my bikes practical for day-to-day use, so I added a fly screen and a small rear bag to my Speed Twin 1200. The bag also serves as a tank bag on my GS so that was a low-cost solution. Wonder how long it will be before I get some panniers...

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by downer;6412979I Wonder how long it will be before I get some panniers...

[URL="https://postimg.cc/q6Tw720J"
    [/URL]
    Don’t do it!!!!!

If you have to carry stuff, use a rucksack.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Don’t do it!!!!!

You're right of course. Although carrying a rucksack demands an element of pre-planning...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Don’t do it!!!!!

Dont do it,use a tank bag.

You're right of course. Although carrying a rucksack demands an element of pre-planning...
    Store the rucksack in one of the panniers!

Master
    Store the rucksack in one of the panniers!
    Presumably I'd need to store the panniers in a tank bag?

This is confusing.

Presumably I'd need to store the panniers in a tank bag?

This is confusing.
    If they are soft panniers you can store them in the rucksack

You lot are useless!

You lot are useless!

Sorry Tony. I did say it had been a while I had been there, and the stuff in the background shows there might have been a few alterations but I can't remember it in any case.
    At least the weather seems to hold

Sorry Tony. I did say it had been a while I had been there, and the stuff in the background shows there might have been a few alterations but I can't remember it in any case.
    At least the weather seems to hold
    No worries, and yes - the weather is perfect.

Master
    Red hot today here on the S coast

Red hot today here on the S coast
    It’ll be the mesh jacket tomorrow!

Master
    It’ll be the mesh jacket tomorrow!
    Was my thoughts although I have a nice Rev’it bison

Master
    You lot are useless!

Haha brilliant!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Went to the Ace Cafe today, a few nice Hondas out and about.

You lot are useless!

Can you give the location?

Can you give the location?
    In front and slightly to the right of the RNLI.

Went for a spin on these naughty boys:

The 990 was surprisingly light and nimble; and has a pretty comfortable riding position.
    Its big brother is the beast
    Incredible performance, the 1290 is a bike and a half!
    A beast indeed. I very nearly bought one.
    The 'mantis' styling was the killer.
    Absolutely fantastic to ride, super economical, but not without their issues.

Got this off eBay for the GSMakes it so much easier to get the bike turned around rather than back & forwarding outside the garage in close proximity to the car.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Got this off eBay for the GSMakes it so much easier to get the bike turned around rather than back & forwarding outside the garage in close proximity to the car.
    Lazy Susan , they are brilliant for manoeuvring bikes in small spaces. :)

You lot are useless!

Click on this again, and then turn 120 degrees to the left....

Click on this again, and then turn 120 degrees to the left....
    Yep, that’s the one. The link also shows another 2/3 spaces adjacent to the RNLI as well.

Fitted my first ever tubes and tyres today, I even fitted the rear back in place before I realised I hadn’t fitted the rim strip!!!

So off they come again… another day.