closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Bremont - what have they done?

Quote Originally Posted by gasgasbones View Post
    The compass design is just so generic. There are loads of versions in a similar vein, just Google 'compass logo design'
    It puzzles me why they went for this as it has no specific identity, unlike their prop logo.
    Probably the best they could come up with that covers “Air, Sea and Land” which is core to the new identity.

Master
    Finally got to see what all the fuss is about today. Certainly not the worst watches I’ve ever seen, if a bit bland and uninspiring. The 2 larger Terra Nova’s aren’t bad, and the bracelets pretty decent (and not the Breitling rip off it first appeared to be) The smaller Terra Nova and Supermarine are tiny (for my tastes) and wouldn’t get a look in.
    I’ve owned 3 Supermarines up to now, and loved each of them. How they have put that name on that little thing is beyond me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the real life pics. I’m now even more convinced the designs really don’t work, case shape could be Mido or Tissot or some or other micro brand in the lower echelons. It just doesn’t look its price.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Good to see real life pictures, still look bloody awful. IMO of course.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Having now seen those real life photos I think they're even more horrendous than I expected. They're just a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Having now seen those real life photos I think they're even more horrendous than I expected. They're just a mess.
    Agree...the renders definitely look better than the real life photos.

I quite like the look of the green one but it's a £4-600 microbrand look.

The quality might be off the scale but twenty minutes spent on Google would see something very similar looking for a fraction of the price bremont are asking.

I don't think you could accuse any of their older models of the same thing, they were distinctive.

Perhaps the bolder looks were putting buyers off and there is a cohort of buyers ready to drop a few grand on a well made Microbrand style watch.

Edited for weird emoji
    Last edited by kace; 28th May 2024 at 11:49.

I agree.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

That looks like dogshit to be honest - I like citizen but to be honest looks like a mashed together cheap citizen of the sorts you see in low-end shops.

That's quite disrespectful to Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    That looks like dogshit to be honest - I like citizen but to be honest looks like a mashed together cheap citizen of the sorts you see in low-end shops.

They look . . . cheap.

Was the inspiration behind them was T K Maxx or some t.v. shopping channel?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I agree.
    Seconded (fifththed?)

That's quite disrespectful to Citizen
    It's just that there is a very specific £80 citizen that it seems be a knock-off of... will try and find it...

These are especially let-down by the dial designs! While I do like lume-block hour markers, the crude, disconnected and frankly jarring minute tracks really pile-on the poundshop vibe. The crass, lumpen fonts make things worse.

Each watch seems to be taking a stab at a vintage feel - but has no coherent sense of which particular vintage. Instead, someone's kid's O-level Technical Drawing project has resulted in a handful of vague, unconnected influences.

Everyone thinks they're a Designer - until they try: and you end up with gash like this...

And I passionately hate the bezel on the chrono - which is otherwise the best of a bad bunch.

Be interesting to see what The Normies make of all this...

Agree with the others. They look even worse. I actually thought the older models were quite nice, and the old brand/logo was pretty cool. They might be different in the hand, but they look cheap.

They were so close to a decent design with the chrono and then ruined it with that abomination of a bezel.

Today I was working on some watches from Vertex. As I was admiring the well engineered cases and thoughtful designs it struck me that anyone wanting to buy into a British brand, who likes the military look, would be mad to buy a Bremont. Vertex has a real history that was re-ignited by the great-grandson of the original owner, after their collapse during the quartz crisis in the early 70's. Oh and they're a fair bit more affordable too.

Picture courtesy of Fratello Watches

Cheers,
    Gary
    Last edited by Omegary; 28th May 2024 at 19:59.

^^^^Cant disagree with that Gary 👍🏻

Crumbs, what a dog's dinner of a collection.

What's the vertical block to the right of the Terra Nova date window about?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Today I was working on some watches from Vertex. As I was admiring the well engineered cases and thoughtful designs it struck me that anyone wanting to buy into a British brand, who likes the military look, would be mad to buy a Bremont. Vertex has a real history that was re-ignited by the great-grandson of the original owner, after their collapse during the quartz crisis in the early 70's. Oh and they're a fair bit more affordable too.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Lovely watch Gary, I’d wear that any day.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Picture courtesy of Fratello Watches

Cheers,
    Gary
    I'd heard of them but never really paid much attention. After having read their story, you are absolutely correct...they seem a lot more authentic.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Crumbs, what a dog's dinner of a collection.

What's the vertical block to the right of the Terra Nova date window about?
    I guess when they were looking for more ideas to throw into the stew of that design they took the less-than-popular small lume blob at 3 from the revised Seiko SPB143s

Cheers,
    Gary
    Reminds me I need to get this looked at.

Cheers,
    Gary
    I'd love to, but after their initial run, it seems that they can't be bothered to make any more non-date Aqualions, so that's me out.

The M60 has an interesting and clever caseback arrangement Dave. Essentially it's a two piece design. The centre section, with the aqualion emblem, has two sturdy pins which lock into the movement holder and a gasket. Then the outer section rotates around the centre, compresses the gasket and seals the caseback. All of which means the emblem is in the perfect position on every single watch despite being a screw down caseback. I thought it was an ingenious solution and an insight into the attention to detail that's gone into the design. Oh and it has an anti-magnetic cap over the movement too.

Sorry I'm going off topic here!

Cheers,
    Gary

I really like the Vertex Aqualion, but I would as it has heavy influence from the Precista issued dive watches.
    I would like to see one in the metal.

They have a little boutique in Shepherds Market W1J 7PH, I'm pretty sure they'll have some on display.

Cheers,
    Gary

They have a little boutique in Shepherds Market W1J 7PH, I'm pretty sure they'll have some on display.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Cheers, that’s handy I work the other end of Bond Street and use Green Park almost daily. I will take a detour.

They came to a RedBar Bristol event, with the full range. They really do stand up to closer inspection.
    And they were also kind enough to give me a nice UV torch for setting lume aglow.

Master
    Bremont at its best IMHO.
    Sad to see the demise of a wonderful case design with great dial options.
    The Alt-P, Alt-1Z, (GMT), great watches, and hopefully one day I will add another from this era.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Bremont at its best IMHO.
    Sad to see the demise of a wonderful case design with great dial options.
    The Alt-P, Alt-1Z, (GMT), great watches, and hopefully one day I will add another from this era.

Oh, & 'strap monsters' too.
    I do have the Bremont bracelet as well but no pics at this time.

I really like these, need to find one on the used market at a sensible price.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Reminds me I need to get this looked at.
    I had one of those. Good old British firm.

I still have this vintage combination, I would guess from the '50's - early '60's - Vertex Revue.

Not quite sure what went on there.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Up until 2023 I would have disagreed. Vertex certainly have the history and by the looks of things, some nice watches but they're manufactured in Switzerland and the only British relevance now is that the founders great grandson is using the brand name to sell watches. A lot of Bremont owners were buying into the brand as the founders had the intention of bringing medium scale watch manufacturing back to Great Britain. Of course since late 2023 (or possibly before?) that's now changed and I completely agree, given the choice between a Vertex and a new model Bremont, I (and many others) would be hard pushed to settle on a Bremont.

Was just catching up on coverage of the TT and saw Peter Hickman win his 14th title in the super bike race 1. I only mention because I saw bremont sponsored him, and on his helmet was the old bremont logo. You’d think given the publicity and coverage the TT gets that they’d make sure it was up to date.

Bremont did sponsor him but he's no longer listed as an ambassador on their website so may be that sponsorship has ended?

The other option might be that Bremont produced two IOM TT watches which are still on their website with the old logo so may be they see no reason to update it for the TT?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Was just catching up on coverage of the TT and saw Peter Hickman win his 14th title in the super bike race 1. I only mention because I saw bremont sponsored him, and on his helmet was the old bremont logo. You’d think given the publicity and coverage the TT gets that they’d make sure it was up to date.
    I saw/noticed that too,
    Old logo or not, the name is there so I guess good publicity regardless
    Top step for Hicky was a stroke of luck but still well deserved, those boys are mental!

I've had a couple of Bremont's in the past. It was their distinctive case design that made them interesting.

These new ones above could be by anyone. There is nothing exceptional or interesting about them.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I also appreciated the fact that he said the race was “ gifted” to him by the issues that Todd & Dunlop had. Even though he is a legend out there and overall lap record holder , he still retains s his modesty, chapeau Hicky

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by matt74 View Post
    I really like these, need to find one on the used market at a sensible price.
    Think there is quite a few of us I reckon after seeing those pictures

Master
    Like many I'm not a fan of the new direction they have taken, never owned one but I was very close to buying the white S300 that was on SC a few months ago.
    My parents were over today and my old man had his MB2 on, which I tried and really liked.

Sent from my Pixel 8a using Tapatalk

I saw elsewhere someone expressed interest in a green dialled terra nova at an event Bremont put on and then received a call later in the week from Bremknt to say they could get a green one in if they paid the full price of the watch (£2.7K) up front.

I don’t even know what to make of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryb View Post
    I saw elsewhere someone expressed interest in a green dialled terra nova at an event Bremont put on and then received a call later in the week from Bremknt to say they could get a green one in if they paid the full price of the watch (£2.7K) up front.

I'd make of it that Bremont is operating like a microbrand that has to crowdfund its work...

Sounds feasible. If you look at Bremonts website, the green dialled Terra Nova with bracelet is shown as 'hand built to order, delivery time 4 to 6 weeks' and of course if you order through the website you have to pay in full up front. A very strange way to operate and completely at odds with how they used to operate.

Master
    Oh my gosh.... Where is my eye-bleach! I'm just returning to TZ-UK after a period of self-imposed abstinence and I'm genuinely aghast at what Bremont have done. I remember when they launched, they had some lovely pieces, though I did think there was a little of the 'Really Good Muffin Company' about how they branded themselves (which I said on here and caused a bit of a heated debate). At least then though, bits of old spitfire in the watch notwithstanding, they were classy and cohesive in design.

The new ones, as said far better by others, are just a complete non-starter. I wouldn't buy an 8-quid hiking compass with that logo on it, let alone an expensive watch.
    Last edited by andybee33; 5th June 2024 at 23:20. Reason: typo

What I don’t understand is whether “we can get one in if you pay the £2700 now” is a strange way of saying “you can buy this watch” or they would have refunded him if he had viewed it and not wanted it.

Totally mad either way.

What I don’t understand is whether “we can get one in if you pay the £2700 now” is a strange way of saying “you can buy this watch” or they would have refunded him if he had viewed it and not wanted it.
    what's needed is some context. Do you have a link to what you saw elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    Sounds feasible. If you look at Bremonts website, the green dialled Terra Nova with bracelet is shown as 'hand built to order, delivery time 4 to 6 weeks' and of course if you order through the website you have to pay in full up front. A very strange way to operate and completely at odds with how they used to operate.
    Yes, just seen that. Very odd way to operate unless it is purely a marketing ploy. I'd expect "hand built to order" at somewhere like Dornbluth where it is a limited number of workers in a small company. Bremont, however, is a manufacturer of relatively cheap, mass produced watches. I'd expect them to have a stock of models, so I assume this is purely a marketing strategy to make out limited supply like Rolex or an artisan manufacturer?

Master
    I used to have an alt1-zt which I foolishly sold a few years back.
    The new Bremont releases made me realise what a great watch it was and how I might not be able to get it back a few years down the line.
    A few eBay searches later and this arrived at a bargain price. No regrets here…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just seen this thread and looked at the logos and their offering....I am not so sure....if I like them or not....
    The logo looks like a marriage of Nato logo and Isle of Man flag.....

Maybe this is declaration of watch war against the Russian Восток watch ?