closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Almost a full five months in and I'm still clean.

Just one thing though, just checking before I do something silly: G-Shocks don't count, am I right?

There's only one category that's exempt - wrist computers...

Master
    Only 2 outgoing so far, the white dial Seamaster & Rolex 116610LV. No incomings as yet, the Panerai recently listed on SC nearly tipped me over the edge but luckily it sold to another member.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Check the small print of the Abstinence Agreement, there may be a dispensation for low BPM.
    I used the same justification for buying a UX.

I'm out.

Is it possible to join this club at this point or did members have to be signed up on 1st Jan?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Is it possible to join this club at this point or did members have to be signed up on 1st Jan?
    Suppose it depends on this year's purchase history ? :-)

The doors of Watchaholics Anonymous are always open, our telephone helplines are always manned - All are welcome at any time: pull up a chair and tell us about your addiction, and how you are beating it

Thank you very much. I've pulled up my chair.

My addiction is well known by most around these parts. I am a serial buyer and seller. Now, that's been fantastic as a hobby as I've been able to own and try literally hundreds of watches I'd otherwise never have experienced and I've taken a massive amount of pleasure from that.

In recent months I've done, and am still doing, a lot of soul searching in many areas of my life. I assume it's an age thing as I'm thinking and planning what the next chapter will be. I want to downsize the house and be mortgage free for example. Work, career and pension are all sorted.

When I've reflected on my journey I've concluded that I was always looking for 'the one'. Before I came here I had what I thought was 'the one'. An Omega Seamaster 2264.50 that I'd coveted for years until taking the plunge and buying one from an AD. I wore it every day and for everything for 5 or 6 years, it was my pride and joy. Until I discovered TZ and realised how boring it was :(

So now I'm here and I'd like to thank all those members who have provided their help, support and generosity, namely (but definitely not restricted to) David (j111dja), Tony (Learningtofly), Lee (thegoat) and Duncan (thewatchbloke).

I had a few hours to kill the other day so went watch window shopping. Buying at the moment isn't an option while I sort a few things out, I just wanted to see if there was anything I really lusted after. Honestly, there wasn't. A grand for a Hamilton Expedition that's nice but....meh. £1800 for a TAG quartz that's so oversized as to be ridiculous. Over £2k now for a Rado Captain Cook. Fugly Breitlings (and I'm a fan of the brand) for multiple thousands and as for Rolex I saw many, many watches available to buy and all were used and at least double their RRPs.

Which brings me to this thread. I now own three low value watches (total used value of less than £500) and one that's a family heirloom. I now acknowledge that 'the one' doesn't exist for me. I want to stick with these for the rest of 2024. That's something I've not done in almost 15 years.

So, here's the statement: I won't buy another watch in 2024. Even writing that sounds ridiculous and that's the problem I guess.

This will sound dramatic but it'll be one day at a time and with the help of this thread.

See you at our next WA session folks.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    The doors of Watchaholics Anonymous are always open, our telephone helplines are always manned - All are welcome at any time: pull up a chair and tell us about your addiction, and how you are beating it
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 27th May 2024 at 13:48.

... So, here's the statement: I won't buy another watch in 2024. Even writing that sounds ridiculous and that's the problem I guess. ...
    Thanks for sharing!

Let's face it, a great many of us can tell a similar tale...

Watch Abstinence Club keeps the rules to a minimum - may I be so bold as to suggest these:

1. The only requirement for WAC membership is a desire to stop buying more watches.

2. We admit we are powerless over watches.

3. We will make a searching and fearless inventory of our watches (even the broken ones at the back of the drawer).

4. You may start the Abstinence Clock at any time - but once started, it never stops.

5. One in = one out. No exceptions - not even gifts from loved ones.

6. If you relapse: you confess - you will be absolved and forgiven. You will probably also be ridiculed.

7. WAC doesn't judge - but you may be mocked and chided.

8. There is always hope - you can beat this!

9. No secrets - we're in this together.

10. Wrist computers are not watches, and do not count. (...but you still only need one!)

11. Straps are a gateway drug - stop it!

12. If you're reading this - you have a problem.
    Oh yes you do!

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    That’s understandable what a bargain cheaper than a Helson clone,
    I’ve definitely slowed down a lot this year and had more outgoing than incoming but hats off to those still hanging in, next years going to be my year

My sanctuary for unloved/mistreated Seikos is about to have another inpatient thanks to SC. I'm going to replace the crystal and inevitably want to keep it, but i should send it back out into the real world to live its life in the wild. Its only my 5th rescued SKX007 so I clearly don't have an issue...

Very clear and fair, thanks. My inventory:

Wolbrook World Timer Skin Diver

Proxima ‘Tuna’

Seestern ‘Doxa’

Seiko 7000-8000 heirloom

Thanks for sharing!

Watch Abstinence Club keeps the rules to a minimum - may I be so bold as to suggest these:

1. The only requirement for WAC membership is a desire to stop buying more watches.

3. We will make a searching and fearless inventory of our watches (even the broken ones at the back of the drawer).

4. You may start the Abstinence Clock at any time - but once started, it never stops.

6. If you relapse: you confess - you will be absolved and forgiven. You will probably also be ridiculed.

10. Wrist computers are not watches, and do not count. (...but you still only need one!)

Oh yes you do!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing!

Oh yes you do!

Oh my... "one in, one out" makes it okay?

Do I have a loophole now?

Having bought 4 watches in the last two months... THREE in the last fortnight... I thought I had blown it.

However, I have gotten rid of, on here and the bay... about eight, nine.. perhaps more in the last two months.

So officially I am in postive equity with regards to my abstinence? Nine out, four in... so I am not doing as bad as I thought?

Streamlining the collection is okay right? I beg... tell me it is hahahaha.

It was the manner of which I did it.. all the outgoings made the consecutive incomings feel dirty. But really.. I am five watches less. That's a positive I guess?:D

All I can say is that's how I've always looked at it. So long as I'm shrinking the collection, I'm making progress.

I guess I'm not a 'cold turkey' man...

Point taken though - it's not 'abstinence'.

Do we need to start a 'Watch Restraint Club' - though that sounds a bit like a tory-politician's peccadillo...

'Watchwatchers'?

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Oh my... "one in, one out" makes it okay?

Do I have a loophole now?

Having bought 4 watches in the last two months... THREE in the last fortnight... I thought I had blown it.

However, I have gotten rid of, on here and the bay... about eight, nine.. perhaps more in the last two months.

So officially I am in postive equity with regards to my abstinence? Nine out, four in... so I am not doing as bad as I thought?

Streamlining the collection is okay right? I beg... tell me it is hahahaha.

It was the manner of which I did it.. all the outgoings made the consecutive incomings feel dirty. But really.. I am five watches less. That's a positive I guess?:D

I started this year (and this thread) fully intending to abstain. I haven't.

However, the number of incomings has matched the number of outgoings.

I have one more watch on order and I'm hopeful that it will be my final purchase of 2024.

Congrats and keep doing great work Sir :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    I started this year (and this thread) fully intending to abstain. I haven't.

However, the number of incomings has matched the number of outgoings.

I have one more watch on order and I'm hopeful that it will be my final purchase of 2024.

Well, my intentions have once again been hijacked by temptation.

I couldn't resist picking up a fun watch from the Mr Jones sale.

So my watch abstinence will now be starting from June (tomorrow)...
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 31st May 2024 at 09:49.

I am now up to my self imposed maximum of ten watches, I WILL NOT buy any more watches in 2024. Unless I sell a few, then I might.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries

Proxima ‘Tuna’

I do love the segmented waffle dial on that.. is it a direct 'lift' from a Seiko or their own adaptation?

Not that it matters as I now don't buy watches anymore. *rolls eyes*

Zero purchases this year so far as we approach the half way mark

Master
    Two permanent in, many many out this year. I have three "proper" watches, a Casio for anything that yields imminent watch destruction, and an Apple Watch (for exercise only) which so infrequently adorns my wrist that it probably won't even charge now - which is fine as I completely hate it.

Despite having a WTB up (an unlikely one TBH), I'm saving myself this year from purchases. Next year though, I'm off the wagon and on the hunt for a Grand Seiko with a Spring Drive movement.

Master
    Still holding fast here. Only incoming has been the bronze IWC… BUT I only did that as part of a deal with Watchfinder when selling them my gold IWC (with cash my way).
    I’ve also moved my Super-Kontiki on.
    So net 1 down, and a couple of grand released back to the bank account.

Mind you, if I do ever get a call about either Rolex I’ve had my name down for, then I likely will fall at that fence !!

I don’t believe Seiko ever did a dial like this, it’s why I liked it so much as it’s not a copy / homage dial even though the watch is.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    I do love the segmented waffle dial on that.. is it a direct 'lift' from a Seiko or their own adaptation?

Not that it matters as I now don't buy watches anymore. *rolls eyes*

Blog Entries
    I don’t believe Seiko ever did a dial like this, it’s why I liked it so much as it’s not a copy / homage dial even though the watch is.
    Indeed.

It's unique to my eyes. Lovely little piece.

Master
    Into the second half of the year and have been good and purchase free so far. I am one less than at the start of the year having moved on a BB58.

Wavered a couple of times but held firm to date

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was going so well ... Until the manga gshock reared it's head. Oh well.

I expect Sundays WWW drop will also claim a few others.

Sent from my CPH2415 using Tapatalk

I've been doing well for a couple of years - last purchase a Casio G-Shock Square GW-M5610U-1ER in March 2022!

I now have a collection of 38 but am trying to reduce as I wear a number infrequently. Must be good in terms of new purchases although any visit to TZ-UK always makes it difficult!

Master
    I managed to get to 3rd June without a single 2024 purchase. Then I went to Las Vegas, got married, got drunk and woke up with the new ocean grey-dialled JLC Polaris... So that's torn it.

In my hubris I didn't even feel the need to post in this thread initially. I don't need a club in the same way someone who doesn't have a problem with alcohol doesn't need AA.

Anyway, 6 months in and I bought a BB58 Blue. I feel I sort of fell for more luxury watch nonsense as it's a watch I want but the every rising RRP made me think I should get one now rather than later. I bought a Black Bay Pro in 2022, my first expensive automatic watch and have sort of resolved never to spend that kind of money (£3K) on a watch again. So I have sort of made good on that but my wallet remains lighter than desired.

Anyway, yesterday, I sold a watch I've been meaning to for ages. A Rado Integral which I've never worn (it was a gift), so I feel that that has at least redressed the balance somewhat.

As things stand:

Black Bay Pro
    Black Bay 58 Blue
    Grandad's Seiko 7t32 Chrono
    Seiko Samurai
    Tissot PRC100
    Versace fashion watch thing (also a gift that I don't wear and should probably sell but can't bring myself to as it will be for way under what the person who bought me it paid).
    G-Shock GA2100 - pilfered by my son and I don't think I'm getting it back

+- Apple Wrist Computer Ultra

No more. None shall pass. I am thinking about getting rid of the Versace and possibly the Seiko Samurai (that was the plan when buying the BB58 Blue, but now I am starting to get thoughts of them both having a place in the same collection )

I was actually doing ok and sticking to my pledge of only buying stuff that comes through from existing AD waiting list. I'm completely out of the game now having succumbed to the latest limited edition GShock tat.

Actually they are very cool.

Master
    Blog Entries
    So far so good,no watches bought this year.Im down to just one at the moment ,trying hard to resist temptation.

Master
    Bought a Damasko, so this happened...

Grand Master
    I thought I wasn't buying anymore!.

And now 3 G-Shocks added.And there will be an orange Seestern added when Aliexpress have their sale soon!.

Oh well there are worse things to spend money on......I think.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

I’ve traded a watch for another twice so far this year with the only cash outlay being postage, am
    I still allowed in the club?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’ve traded a watch for another twice so far this year with the only cash outlay being postage, am
    Confound him! How dare he?!

Grand Master
    The ideal way to do deals.

Sinned-against or sinning - all are welcome!

__

For once I've taken a small step in the right direction and sold another watch, this time to a chum I met up with last weekend.

Now three down on where I started the year

Trades don't count ; )

I have failed, but at least it’s Eddie’s fault for releasing the WWW.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    I have failed, but at least it’s Eddie’s fault for releasing the WWW.
    I can understand the temptation - there's a tremendous 'rightness' to that interpretation. I keep going back and looking...

Master
    As Brittney said, "Oops i did it again........."

Really must stop browsing SC

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk