closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Applecare?

Applecare?

All,

For once I've splashed out on a new IPhone 15 Pro and I'm considering buying Applecare. Just wondering if it's worth it or not. And if so, what Tier to go for.

I'd welcome any thoughts of others who've got it.

Best,

Ben

Depends how clumsy you are really - I believe if you pay monthly then it can last beyond 2 years.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Hello

I'm usually pretty careful, but I suppose it's like all insurance. You don't need it until you do. And normally I have preowned phones / Ipads / Macbooks etc. And I carry my phone with me more than the others.

Good to know you can pay monthly though.

Master
    No idea but this might be useful for comparison purposes:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/in...one-insurance/

Hello

Thanks both

Alternatively your home insurance may be enough.
    I am a huge Apple fan and the list of Apple products in our household would be rather lengthy. But I don’t remember taking AppleCare, even the latest purchase (AirPods Max in January) didn’t make it compelling.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

My son had it on a 15 pro max and a few months into ownership - having gone for a paddle only to discover the pocket his phone was in on his shorts was submerged - killed the phone. A short trip to the Apple Store and about £60 later he had a brand new phone - not refurbished, brand new with no quibbling. For a £1200+ device carried everywhere I think it’s worth it but ymmv.

How long did your son paddle? The 15 range can resist immersion up to 6m for 30 minutes.
    In other words, it did not live up to its specs and you probably had a case that the phone was faulty to start with.

Salt water or fresh water? The sea kills apples

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Salt water or fresh water? The sea kills apples

If fresh water doesn’t get in salt water won’t either. IP 68 doesn’t differentiate.

Applecare?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    How long did your son paddle? The 15 range can resist immersion up to 6m for 30 minutes.
    In other words, it did not live up to its specs and you probably had a case that the phone was faulty to start with.
    I agree - and I argued about the £60 but they weren’t having any of it. Apparently water damage isn’t covered which makes a bit of a farce of the alleged water resistance. It was a freshwater river so no idea why it killed it - it was totally undamaged prior to the incident. I was mighty relieved he had AppleCare though due to the price of the phone. He had decided to cover it himself - I wasn’t involved in the purchase, must be the first sensible decision he’d made in ages!
    Last edited by RobDad; 26th May 2024 at 22:32.

That is absolutely true. £60 is a cheap price to pay for keeping one’s blood pressure at a reasonable level.
    Still, I’d have had a conversation with a few managers, and probably their manager as well.

Applecare?

That is absolutely true. £60 is a cheap price to pay for keeping one’s blood pressure at a reasonable level.
    Still, I’d have had a conversation with a few managers, and probably their manager as well.
    Believe you me I did! - but my son was so relieved I just gave up in the end - water damage isn’t covered, I guess they assume it was immersed for longer than the specs cover, and I wasn’t 100% sure of my sons version of events tbh! - it was actually a 14 pro max if that makes a difference, looked at my diary and it was the year before
    Last edited by RobDad; 26th May 2024 at 22:38.

Blog Entries
    I’d get it if your phone is not covered All Risks in your house contents insurance away from home. Else it’s really an extension to the manufacturers warranty. The AppleCare+ does give replacement repair for damage loss or theft though, with an excess. Saying that ~ an iPhone 14 or 15 should be able to take a dunking (as mentioned).

I don’t have AppleCare or AppleCare+ for my iPhone 15 pro but I do have a separate all risks policy and will add it to my house insurance when it comes up for renewal. Conversely my sister always buys AppleCare for peace of mind.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 26th May 2024 at 23:30.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

If fresh water doesn’t get in salt water won’t either. IP 68 doesn’t differentiate.
    You would think, sadly my experience was different!

Just buy a decent case, and don't subsidise the feckless.

Hello

Thanks all,

I had a look at my home insurance policy. I can add an optional mobile devices bit. So that will cover the IPhone and Ipad at home and Worldwide. Which is handy as I'm off to India in June. And it was less than Applecare.

Will still exercise caution though. I always try and look after my gear.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    You would think, sadly my experience was different!

Consequences worse, that's all.

I've never thought Applecare particularly attractive for phones or ipads and have generally taken the view that they would find a get-out clause for any issues I might have. I've recently upgraded my iPad and, after much hemming and hawing, also went with the Magic Keyboard - previously I had a Logitech keyboard case and that had a number of issues with keys falling off etc. I'm slowly coming round to paying for Applecare as there will be automatic coverage of the case.

I've seen Applecare work with a colleague's Macbook a few years ago - he booked himself an appointment at the Apple store a week before it ended and he had every niggle fixed. Based on that experience it's a step up on a Dixons extended warranty.

Just check the terms, I have it for my phone and took it out against a new MacBook Air I’d bought, doesn’t cover you for liquid spills in the laptops (it used to) and as that’s the main risk I cancelled and returned the MacBook. As other ls have said, for accidental damage you’re better off with the home insurance.

I only buy it for laptops as if one part goes it’s 2-3k down the drain

For iOS and accessories never for me personally but perhaps for kids

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I only buy it for laptops as if one part goes it’s 2-3k down the drain

For iOS and accessories never for me personally but perhaps for kids
    Yep, only insure what you can't afford to lose.

Accidental insurance is generally bit of a con IMO. I look back at any electrical item I, the wife or the kids have accidentally broken over the last 20 years.

My wife reversed over the kids phone that had fallen out of his pocket while getting out of the car (£100) and we dropped old iPad and cracked the screen, maybe another £100. The excess would have made each claim pointless.

I would never insure at <£1k and personally significantly above that