closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 364 of 367 FirstFirst ... 264314354362363364365366 ... LastLast
Results 18,151 to 18,200 of 18336

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Congrats Tony, must feel great to be back out there!
    Yes indeed!

Had a nice ride out to The Kingsley cafe yesterday for a coffee and called in at the Red Lion in Cassington on the way home. Coming home through Cumnor we had an unscheduled stop as I felt the back end start to slide, we pulled in at a handy pub to find my rear tyre completely flat. No nails or screws evident in the tyre so I assume the tube gave up the ghost. Had to wait a couple of hours for recovery but I can think of a lot worse places to break down than a nice country pub on a sunny day, especially as I could drown my sorrows as I wouldn't be doing any more riding that day. My mate stayed with me until the AA arrived which was good of him considering he could only drink coffee!
    That was very lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    You have to remember journalists may say it’s underpowered but what’s that against? They ride so many bikes it’s are they just into the modern frame of mind and think everything should be 150hp.
    My filter for UK journalists and YouTubers is already nicely developed

I like watching reviews/demos from India - over there they're much better at assessing a bike within its own aspirations, and can do a head to head of a Classic 350 with a Speed 400 or CB350 H'ness without feeling the need to drone on about them being underpowered and undersized toys only suitable for beginners / retirees / going to the shops. Even the tremendously bland Mark Pulling gets flustered when trying to work out who might actually buy a CB500.

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    What you need to do is to go and test ride them all if you can, taking a week or so trawling round the dealers going for a ride will save you heartache later. You have to remember journalists may say it’s underpowered but what’s that against? They ride so many bikes it’s are they just into the modern frame of mind and think everything should be 150hp.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    This really.

Remember, you’re going from 12bhp (is that still the learner limit) to 60bhp, it’s quite a step up and certainly won’t feel underpowered. The speed twin 1200 is possibly a step too far and, truth be told, the smaller bike is perfect for most UK roads.

We don’t actually need all the power most bikes produce these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Remember, you’re going from 12bhp (is that still the learner limit)
    The reason I got a brand new CB125R was that they had only recently bumped the engine up from 13bhp to the maximum 14.8bhp

Obviously, I'm having a great time with that bike, but I would like to find it easier getting up to speed on busy single carriageway roads, not find hills and headwinds slowing me down, and not get blown about so much by headwinds. So that takes me up to the CB500s.

Looking at these other bikes, and settling on the Street Twin was about finding something with similar capabilities but with a specific character that might suit my style of riding more. Not wanting to go faster, just want to be more chilled doing it.

Comparing the prices of low mileage 1st and 2nd gen Street Twins, there's not many extra £££ needed for something 2 or 3 years younger and with that extra poke for specific moments. The one thing that put me off the very nice Z650RS was that the extra poke seemed to be there all the time, wanting to be used. With the 2019 Street Twin, it seems to be in reserve, available when needed, but not insistent.

Anyway, enough words from me recently, and I've got housework to be getting on with.

One more day, allegedly!

Mind you, the lawn will need some work afterwards!

I reckon I could get half a dozen bikes in there at a push
    Last edited by learningtofly; 26th May 2024 at 10:55.

Master
    Looks great Tony

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I've been going through Autotrader ads for Speed Twin 900 aka Street Twin. Here are a few prices. There was a significant upgrade in 2019, so that's my cut-off. There was another upgrade in 2021.

£8,800 - New
    £8,500 - 500 miles, '23
    £8,000 - 2,200 miles, '23
    £7,500 - 1,400 miles, '21
    £7,300 - 4,000 miles, '23
    £7,000 - 645 miles, '19
    £6,500 - 5,000 miles, '19
    £6,000 - 9,000 miles, '20

I get that low mileage is worth paying for, but to me, but to me they all look pretty low. The one at £6,500 stands out to me (mostly because it's red, local, and around the same price as a new CB500). It is worth paying another £500 for something the same age which has scarcely been ridden?

Is there a point when very low mileage over several years actually becomes a concern, do bikes mind sitting about, inert?

My bike at coming on to 80,000 miles is in far better condition than than many ive seen at less than 10,000.

Year and mileage is only a pointer.

You are best of with an unmolested bike unless you know and trust whoever has done the changes as I found out on my last purchase.
    I had to rectify all the mistakes (some dangerous).

A bike left standing can have parts siezed and petrol gone off causing problems.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Thats the best path into a shed/garage ive ever seen, even got a wall to sit on and put your bike gear down on.

As I said its going to make your life a lot easier have you got electricity into it?

Mine hasnt the quotes I got where outrageous, so I use solar lights and lights connected to a jump starter.

I can also run a lead in for other lights ive fitted and a heater if I need to do any bigger jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Looks great Tony
    Cheers Lewie.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Thats the best path into a shed/garage ive ever seen, even got a wall to sit on and put your bike gear down on.

As I said its going to make your life a lot easier have you got electricity into it?

Mine hasnt the quotes I got where outrageous, so I use solar lights and lights connected to a jump starter.

I can also run a lead in for other lights ive fitted and a heater if I need to do any bigger jobs.
    Thanks very much! Yes, the electrics are being finished tomorrow, but I have 4 double sockets and two LED striplights being installed. I also have a messenger pipe for any future requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I like it. Reminds me of my Street Bob, which might not have been your cup of tea also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had a Streetbob and then a Fatbob a few years back... Been a Triumph man ever since with a few Bonnevilles and now the Bobber. I really need a touring bike as well though, went to a rally a few weeks back and had the tent and everything else in a rucksack on my back. Not ideal!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    I had a Streetbob and then a Fatbob a few years back... Been a Triumph man ever since with a few Bonnevilles and now the Bobber. I really need a touring bike as well though, went to a rally a few weeks back and had the tent and everything else in a rucksack on my back. Not ideal!
    Not always - my made did ok on his HD last summer over Europe
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

It had been a week since I was last able to get out, so I looked at the forecast and cheerfully thought sod it, and headed into the Dales. I got a soaking just before Leyburn, but the skies were kind with me as I went up Wensleydale on the slow road through Redmire and Askrigg.

Just before the road descends into Redmire is one of the great views, so much laid out ahead of you in a single sweep.

Edit: also got rained on from Hawes to Garsdale Head and over the Coal Road into Dentdale .... but through the rain I could see Dentdale bathed in sunshine, it was lovely dropping down from the rainy moor into the sunny dale :)
    Last edited by Der Amf; 27th May 2024 at 17:59.

Well, I guess it's job done! The path is finished, the damaged lawn has been replaced with topsoil and grass seed, and the electrics have been installed, tested, and certificated.

I did have a few issues and it was very lucky I was at home today, but all in all I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

Bike looks very lonely in that big garage

Bike looks very lonely in that big garage
    Unfortunately I've got a fair bit of stuff to go in there!

It’s a garage, not a place to store what you don’t use anymore. Trust me on that one, or you’ll regret it.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It’s a garage, not a place to store what you don’t use anymore. Trust me on that one, or you’ll regret it.
    Don’t worry, Marc, I’ve already had that conversation with the other half. This is my stuff and there’ll still be room for another bike or two!

Lol. Best of luck Tony, it’s a good looking shelter for your wheels.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Shed.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Bike shed looks great Tony.
    Do you have enough room to turn the bikes around?
    Can't see from your pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Bike shed looks great Tony.
    Do you have enough room to turn the bikes around?
    Can't see from your pics.
    Yes, although it requires a three point turn. The garage is 12’ wide.

Well, I guess it's job done! The path is finished, the damaged lawn has been replaced with topsoil and grass seed, and the electrics have been installed, tested, and certificated.

I did have a few issues and it was very lucky I was at home today, but all in all I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

Looks the mutts nuts Tony, congratulations. That's a purchase you'll never regret!

Master
    Don’t worry, Marc, I’ve already had that conversation with the other half. This is my stuff and there’ll still be room for another bike or three !
    Fixed it for you T :)

Looks the mutts nuts Tony, congratulations. That's a purchase you'll never regret!
    I'm sure you're right, Duncan. Just sitting here knowing the bike is on charge and will be unaffected by the next few days of rain is a relief.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Fixed it for you T :)
    I wish

You could comfortably get another two in there Tony. :D

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Be rude not to....

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Be rude not to....
    All things in good time

After a year with the BMW F650GS, and barely getting out due to fairly serious (ongoing) illness (I won’t bore you with the details), I bit the bullet and had some test rides of more modern bikes and ended up buying a brand new Tiger Sport 660, which has just been delivered today.

Just been out for the first 20 miles of running in, and very nice it is too. It came with panniers and heated grips as part of the deal, and I also added a quick shifter for later.

Here’s a quick pic

Cheers

Foggy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Foggy; 29th May 2024 at 17:05.

Nice one Foggy and glad to hear you’re feeling well enough to get out on it.

Master
    All things in good time
    That really looks fantastic for your bikes.

I think if I had a path built through the garden that is my wife’s pride, joy & hobby, I’d be living in the bike store with all my belongings though!!

Rather unhappy post, I'll try not to be too un-brief. I got back from work yesterday and discovered my bike gone. I reported it to the police and searched my neighbourhood. Three hours later a CSO came to take me to where it had been found. Someone had reported it abandoned, and the VIN matched that I had reported. The bike had been hauled away. Once out of sight, the steering column was wrenched to break the steering lock, and various other bits of destruction - screwdriver into the keyhole, headlight ripped off to reveal wiring etc - got the bike running. After they had had they're fun with it, they vandalised it and dumped it. The side lights were still on The bars and front wheel are no longer aligned. Front brake still works, but the clutch, gears and rear brake don't. Lots of surface destruction. I wheeled it the half mile home. I spoke with Miles Kingsport at one point today, wanting to hear a friendly non-official voice. They reckoned that it would be deemed a non-economical repair. Just now, my insurers are expecting much the same. They're going to send an engineer to evaluate it. If you're wondering, no, I hadn't considered this possibility when working out what might happen to it. Yes, I am feeling educated. If the bike isn't repaired, I'm not sure what I'll do. Perhaps not bother buying another 125, take my DA course, and then buy something completely different. Which will take a while. I had just booked my theory test for mid-June. Once that's under my belt, I'll book the course. An unhappy tale, but many unhappy bike tales are also painful tales, so I won't be grumbling. Before it was found, I was supposing that it had been stolen for financial gain (which perplexed me, as there can't be much margin in a hot 125, surely?) and feeling very despondent - I know from working in retail that thieves and robbers always return for more. The thought of the possibility of bikeless future made me miserable, my little bike has made me so happy. I'll save you having to see a grim photo of it.

Master
    Sorry to hear this new - toe rags
    Years ago I had the same bike stolen twice (IT 200)
    Last edited by lewie; 29th May 2024 at 18:22.

Rather unhappy post, I'll try not to be too un-brief. I got back from work yesterday and discovered my bike gone.
    Sorry to read this ☹️

Foggy

Master
    Very sorry to hear this.

B@stards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    That really looks fantastic for your bikes.

I think if I had a path built through the garden that is my wife’s pride, joy & hobby, I’d be living in the bike store with all my belongings though!!
    Bea actually loves how it’s turned out. I just need to do a bit of natural planting now.

Rather unhappy post, I'll try not to be too un-brief. I got back from work yesterday and discovered my bike gone. I reported it to the police and searched my neighbourhood. Three hours later a CSO came to take me to where it had been found. Someone had reported it abandoned, and the VIN matched that I had reported. The bike had been hauled away. Once out of sight, the steering column was wrenched to break the steering lock, and various other bits of destruction - screwdriver into the keyhole, headlight ripped off to reveal wiring etc - got the bike running. After they had had their fun with it, they vandalised it and dumped it. The side lights were still on The bars and front wheel are no longer aligned. Front brake still works, but the clutch, gears and rear brake don't. Lots of surface destruction. I wheeled it the half mile home. I spoke with Miles Kingsport at one point today, wanting to hear a friendly non-official voice. They reckoned that it would be deemed a non-economical repair. Just now, my insurers are expecting much the same. They're going to send an engineer to evaluate it. If you're wondering, no, I hadn't considered this possibility when working out what might happen to it. Yes, I am feeling educated. If the bike isn't repaired, I'm not sure what I'll do. Perhaps not bother buying another 125, take my DA course, and then buy something completely different. Which will take a while. I had just booked my theory test for mid-June. Once that's under my belt, I'll book the course. An unhappy tale, but many unhappy bike tales are also painful tales, so I won't be grumbling. Before it was found, I was supposing that it had been stolen for financial gain (which perplexed me, as there can't be much margin in a hot 125, surely?) and feeling very despondent - I know from working in retail that thieves and robbers always return for more. The thought of the possibility of bikeless future made me miserable, my little bike has made me so happy. I'll save you having to see a grim photo of it.
    Really sorry to hear this. Exactly the same thing happened to my son… such utter scum.

Absolute tw@ts.
    They're vile, just vile.

Don't lose the faith....in a years time you'll look back on this as a distant memory...get another asap.
    You owe it to yourself.

Craftsman
    Rather unhappy post, I'll try not to be too un-brief. I got back from work yesterday and discovered my bike gone. I reported it to the police and searched my neighbourhood. Three hours later a CSO came to take me to where it had been found. Someone had reported it abandoned, and the VIN matched that I had reported. The bike had been hauled away. Once out of sight, the steering column was wrenched to break the steering lock, and various other bits of destruction - screwdriver into the keyhole, headlight ripped off to reveal wiring etc - got the bike running. After they had had they're fun with it, they vandalised it and dumped it. The side lights were still on The bars and front wheel are no longer aligned. Front brake still works, but the clutch, gears and rear brake don't. Lots of surface destruction. I wheeled it the half mile home. I spoke with Miles Kingsport at one point today, wanting to hear a friendly non-official voice. They reckoned that it would be deemed a non-economical repair. Just now, my insurers are expecting much the same. They're going to send an engineer to evaluate it. If you're wondering, no, I hadn't considered this possibility when working out what might happen to it. Yes, I am feeling educated. If the bike isn't repaired, I'm not sure what I'll do. Perhaps not bother buying another 125, take my DA course, and then buy something completely different. Which will take a while. I had just booked my theory test for mid-June. Once that's under my belt, I'll book the course. An unhappy tale, but many unhappy bike tales are also painful tales, so I won't be grumbling. Before it was found, I was supposing that it had been stolen for financial gain (which perplexed me, as there can't be much margin in a hot 125, surely?) and feeling very despondent - I know from working in retail that thieves and robbers always return for more. The thought of the possibility of bikeless future made me miserable, my little bike has made me so happy. I'll save you having to see a grim photo of it.
    So So sorry to read this, judging by the number of days out and routes (puts some of us to shame) you seemed to be really enjoying biking and the Little Honda. As others have said perhaps get another (if you can) or go for the full access and then ponder your choice, whatever you do I'll miss those mini ride reports. Good Luck, Cheers, John B4

I bought this a few weeks ago & I F**ing Love it.

Last edited by gasgasbones; 30th May 2024 at 06:45.

Damn! Sorry to read of this. You're starting all over again with insurance - so is there any worth in hanging back, waiting to pass your test - and get a 500cc machine after?

New policy, a chance to get some 'hopefully' competitive quotes? A 500 will open up a whole new horizon for you.

Utter scum out there, so sorry to hear about the theft Der Amf. Still, it seems you are looking at this as an opportunity to pass your test sooner and get on to something bigger a little earlier than planned.

Lovely bike Gasgasbones, the Thruxton R and Speed Twin always make me consider swapping the XJR1300 out for one. It won’t happen but it is tempting.

Utter barstewards Der Amf, hope you get sorted soon.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    very sorry to hear this,i read of your travels and think theres a man enjoying his bike.i hope something really nasty happens to the scumbags who did this.lets hope this sorts itself out to your satisfaction.
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 30th May 2024 at 08:25.

Craftsman
    Rather unhappy post, .
    That's bad news.

Like someone said earlier, I've enjoyed reading your enthusiasm for riding your bike and highlights how much fun can be had even on small bikes - it reminds me of how I was when I first started riding and, shamefully, my bike now languishes idle in the garage.

Fingers crossed that the insurance comes good and that can help you can plan for your next bike and adventures!

The final stats for my red CB125R

owned for 30 weeks (Mon 30 Oct to Mon 27 May)
    cleaned 14 times
    travelled 5,607 miles
    made 54 trips
    days inc. the Dales NP: 18
    days inc. the Moors NP: 8
    days inc. Hull: 8
    days seeing the sea: 6
    longest day: 201 miles
    longest trip: 333 miles over 4 days
    hit 50.0 gallons and 5,300 miles simultaneous. so 106mpg
    top indicated speed 78mph on the Malton bypass, despite being ever so slightly uphill - I think the prevailing wind gets helpfully funnelled between a couple of hills there
    top actual speed: 70-71mph, that speedo talked nonsense
    counties visited: North Yorks, West Yorks, East Riding, Durham, Northumberland, Cumbria, Lancashire

mileage by month:
    Oct 49
    Nov 479
    Dec 365
    Jan 589
    Feb 849
    Mar 1203
    Apr 948
    May 1125

The perimeter of my journeying:

Most easterly point - Flamborough Head
    Most southerly point - going under the Humber Bridge
    Most northerly point - just north of Allendale Town, following a diversion
    Most westerly point - Jubilee Tower on the edge of the Bowland Fells, overlooking Lancaster and Morecambe Bay

Quote Originally Posted by gasgasbones View Post

Lovely bikes these, can’t wait to pick mine up Saturday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More bike related stuff

The final stats for my red CB125R

owned for 30 weeks (Mon 30 Oct to Mon 27 May)
    cleaned 14 times
    travelled 5,607 miles
    made 54 trips
    days inc. the Dales NP: 18
    days inc. the Moors NP: 8
    days inc. Hull: 8
    days seeing the sea: 6
    longest day: 201 miles
    longest trip: 333 miles over 4 days
    hit 50.0 gallons and 5,300 miles simultaneous. so 106mpg
    top indicated speed 78mph on the Malton bypass, despite being ever so slightly uphill - I think the prevailing wind gets helpfully funnelled between a couple of hills there
    top actual speed: 70-71mph, that speedo talked nonsense
    counties visited: North Yorks, West Yorks, East Riding, Durham, Northumberland, Cumbria, Lancashire

mileage by month:
    Oct 49
    Nov 479
    Dec 365
    Jan 589
    Feb 849
    Mar 1203
    Apr 948
    May 1125

The perimeter of my journeying:

Most easterly point - Flamborough Head
    Most southerly point - going under the Humber Bridge
    Most northerly point - just north of Allendale Town, following a diversion
    Most westerly point - Jubilee Tower on the edge of the Bowland Fells, overlooking Lancaster and Morecambe Bay
    Good effort.
    I have the blue version, 23plate, at the moment. Done about 500miles or so and am impressed with the way it can haul my 100kg’s up and over the Peak District without any flinching.

I should be testing for full licence in about 2weeks, and have a bigger bike on order from Honda - ETA end of June, but the CBR has and is still doing a wonderful job.
    Bags of confidence in the curves, feels solid and planted.

My only comment would be at nearly 6ft2, the riding position on it makes me feel like I have just entered a game of Quidditch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 30th May 2024 at 18:34.

Quote Originally Posted by gasgasbones View Post

Stunning, but don’t think my wrist or knees could cope with that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Stunning, but don’t think my wrist or knees could cope with that anymore.
    I didn’t find the riding position at all challenging, and I’m no spring chicken. It was definitely the most beautiful bike I’ve owned.

That's the way to think!

:-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    After a year with the BMW F650GS, and barely getting out due to fairly serious (ongoing) illness (I won’t bore you with the details), I bit the bullet and had some test rides of more modern bikes and ended up buying a brand new Tiger Sport 660, which has just been delivered today.

Just been out for the first 20 miles of running in, and very nice it is too. It came with panniers and heated grips as part of the deal, and I also added a quick shifter for later.

Here’s a quick pic

Cheers

Foggy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lovely bike and that triple engine is a peach. I particularly like the way the bike felt off the stand, balance seating position etc. its certainly a bike in my future considerations when looking to change from my F700gs.