closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 103 of 103 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103
Results 5,101 to 5,117 of 5117

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Having driven both, I'd go for the older S
    If I didn’t buy the Model 3 brand new I think I’d be in an S already

My friend has a 2016 and has lots of problems but the sunroof alone puts it in a different league IMO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If I didn’t buy the Model 3 brand new I think I’d be in an S already

My friend has a 2016 and has lots of problems but the sunroof alone puts it in a different league IMO.
    Purely on the driving experience (and the fact that in the main the cars are reliable) I'd be happy with a, say, 2020 Model S vs a new 3. The suspension's a lot better and I really don't care about the speed or handling. Plus the the depreciation on the S will be lower so it makes more sense for a car that you're going to own for perhaps three years.

I absolutely detest Elon Musk, however, so until departs the company I'll not be buying a Tesla!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Too salty price wise and if I decide to take the long way to work - across the Dublin mountains, sally gap to Dublin I wouldn't have enough charge to get home again. Maybe when the sodium batteries take off.

The Energica's look nicer though.

My soul is with the Guzzi.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    That looks epic, congrats and enjoy.

Question is would you swap a newer 3 for an older S? That’s where it gets a bit tough for me.
    Firstly many thanks to you and all for your kind words.

So, the Model 3 is a great car and my Performance model was brutal. 3 happy years, no issues and it made me smile everyday I drove it. But, quality was shocking in places, a looker it ain’t and ride was jarring at best.

My circumstances are such that I have not had a car in the last seven months, sharing wifeys new MSport 1 Series but my new co is taking off and I need a car once again.

Getting back in an EV was a no brainier for me. Using an ICE car again has been tiresome and it is a massive step back, 200 miles to York and then back last weekend proved this even more. Unless you have spent time in an EV you simply won’t get this.

So to answer ya question. After 140 mile drive home on Thursday, a 160 mile round trip to Cambridge yesterday and the cars are night and day and I could not be happier with my decision to buy an older S. No, it’s not as brutally quick as the M3P but it has enough poke for me. In almost every other way it is just simple class, the looks and a far far nicer place to sit. The ultra white vegan even feels thicker in the S over the same in my 3.

Downsides - MCU1 is a little laggy but I will replace, the car doesn’t unlock and wake up on approaching it, this maybe just me and the previous owner had a dog so it is a bit stinky but again I can sort that. And I am sure there will be some unexpected bills.

The 100D seems more economical than the 3. 260 wh/mile yesterday but I think the environment makes me more relaxed and less urgent.

I cannot thank Martin enough on here who reached out when I was muting the purchase. You have been a fantastic help, thank you buddy.

To conclude, having thought this through a lot over many weeks the S is a nicer car than the 3 for me. I probably will also have another, it is proving so far probably the nicest car I have driven.

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Firstly many thanks to you and all for your kind words.

So, the Model 3 is a great car and my Performance model was brutal. 3 happy years, no issues and it made me smile everyday I drove it. But, quality was shocking in places, a looker it ain’t and ride was jarring at best.

My circumstances are such that I have not had a car in the last seven months, sharing wifeys new MSport 1 Series but my new co is taking off and I need a car once again.

Getting back in an EV was a no brainier for me. Using an ICE car again has been tiresome and it is a massive step back, 200 miles to York and then back last weekend proved this even more. Unless you have spent time in an EV you simply won’t get this.

So to answer ya question. After 140 mile drive home on Thursday, a 160 mile round trip to Cambridge yesterday and the cars are night and day and I could not be happier with my decision to buy an older S. No, it’s not as brutally quick as the M3P but it has enough poke for me. In almost every other way it is just simple class, the looks and a far far nicer place to sit. The ultra white vegan even feels thicker in the S over the same in my 3.

Downsides - MCU1 is a little laggy but I will replace, the car doesn’t unlock and wake up on approaching it, this maybe just me and the previous owner had a dog so it is a bit stinky but again I can sort that. And I am sure there will be some unexpected bills.

The 100D seems more economical than the 3. 260 wh/mile yesterday but I think the environment makes me more relaxed and less urgent.

I cannot thank Martin enough on here who reached out when I was muting the purchase. You have been a fantastic help, thank you buddy.

To conclude, having thought this through a lot over many weeks the S is a nicer car than the 3 for me. I probably will also have another, it is proving so far probably the nicest car I have driven.

Pitch
    Looks fab Pitch, I shall look out for you wafting around east anglia.

I came close to buying an 85D a couple of years ago, Tesla had a few in with warranties etc, but I couldn’t make the time to sort a test drive so ended up chopping the ID.3 in for the ID.4 (I needed something larger). 260 wh/mile (3.8 miles per kWh) is pretty good for such a large car, that’s 350+ miles of range by my maths?

I think 360PS is plenty in such a car, and really pleased you’re enjoying it so much. :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Looks fab Pitch, I shall look out for you wafting around east anglia.

I came close to buying an 85D a couple of years ago, Tesla had a few in with warranties etc, but I couldn’t make the time to sort a test drive so ended up chopping the ID.3 in for the ID.4 (I needed something larger). 260 wh/mile (3.8 miles per kWh) is pretty good for such a large car, that’s 350+ miles of range by my maths?

I think 360PS is plenty in such a car, and really pleased you’re enjoying it so much. :-)
    Cheers Tooks, we may head up to Stamford for a visit this weekend, any excuse to get out in the MS

I can’t get a deffo figure on the power, it feels way quicker than 360ps (wifey’s Golf R’s @ 300bhp where nowhere near as rapid). I’ve read 400 and something, 500 and something and EV database suggests 600 based on kw to bhp. It’s suggested 0-60 is 4.2 which is a second slower than my M3P and I can notice that, but rolling it doesn’t feel slower.

Cheers

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Predicted on my last 30 miles yesterday, DC and A roads.

Pretty happy with that.

Pitch

Master
    Update on the Mach-E, 1500 miles in. I got this because it was (a) immediately available (b) really cheap (a net monthly cost of £350 all-in). I was going to get a Nissan Ariya but that turned out to have a 6-9 month waiting list, so I got this without a test drive on the basis that it's a three year lease and I don't really have to love it!

Good news - everything works, the range has settled down to an honest 340 miles based on my usage, pretty much all of the electronics 'aids' can be turned off (and stay off), it's quiet/refined/fast. The 360 degree cameras are excellent and the driver interface has zero lag. The sound system is good as well. It's really well-made; fit and finish is the best I've ever seen on a Ford, albeit mine is in a lairy colour than still makes me wince a bit.

Bad news - it's not really all that much fun to drive; it reminds me very much of a Lexus LS400, which in many respects was better than the Mercedes S-Class it aped but felt sterile. The brakes are massively over-assisted and remind me of a Citroen CX; breathe on them and you stand the car on its nose. Final negative is that the ride when I got it was terrible; the front tyres were at 36psi and the rears at 40psi; dropping to 32/36 improves hugely, though it's still firmer than I'd like.

Would I buy one with my own money? It's not a car you fall in love with, but so long as the price was right - and bear in mind you can now buy a 72 plate for c.£20k - then you could absolutely do worse.

Would I buy one with my own money? It's not a car you fall in love with, but so long as the price was right - and bear in mind you can now buy a 72 plate for c.£20k - then you could absolutely do worse.
    From where?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    From where?
    You're right - I should have said 71 plate rather than 72. There are loads on AT for early £20s, none of which are exactly flying out of the showrooms, so a bit of a haggle and you're there for £20k. For what it is - a large, fast, well-equipped car that's cheap to run* - that's a bit of a bargain.

*If you can get reasonably priced insurance, that is

Master
    Update on the Mach-E, 1500 miles in. I got this because it was (a) immediately available (b) really cheap (a net monthly cost of £350 all-in). I was going to get a Nissan Ariya but that turned out to have a 6-9 month waiting list, so I got this without a test drive on the basis that it's a three year lease and I don't really have to love it!

Good news - everything works, the range has settled down to an honest 340 miles based on my usage, pretty much all of the electronics 'aids' can be turned off (and stay off), it's quiet/refined/fast. The 360 degree cameras are excellent and the driver interface has zero lag. The sound system is good as well. It's really well-made; fit and finish is the best I've ever seen on a Ford, albeit mine is in a lairy colour than still makes me wince a bit.

Bad news - it's not really all that much fun to drive; it reminds me very much of a Lexus LS400, which in many respects was better than the Mercedes S-Class it aped but felt sterile. The brakes are massively over-assisted and remind me of a Citroen CX; breathe on them and you stand the car on its nose. Final negative is that the ride when I got it was terrible; the front tyres were at 36psi and the rears at 40psi; dropping to 32/36 improves hugely, though it's still firmer than I'd like.

Is this your first ev? Just wondering if the brakes feeling is more regen maybe?

Master
    You're right - I should have said 71 plate rather than 72. There are loads on AT for early £20s, none of which are exactly flying out of the showrooms, so a bit of a haggle and you're there for £20k. For what it is - a large, fast, well-equipped car that's cheap to run* - that's a bit of a bargain.

*If you can get reasonably priced insurance, that is
    What’s the insurance like on these?

What warranty do you get just the standard 3?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    What’s the insurance like on these?

What warranty do you get just the standard 3?

Absolutely no idea I’m afraid - it’s on an all-inclusive lease!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    Is this your first ev? Just wondering if the brakes feeling is more regen maybe?

No, it’s my second EV - the brakes are less wooden than on my Nissan, just hugely overly assisted.

Interesting to see what the realistic range is on this new BYD PHEV that they claim does 1500 miles on a single charge/tank - not because I'm interested in the car itself but what it says about their technology platform.

I'm more and more wanting to get a car through my work's company salary sacrifice scheme. It seems very tax efficient and the prices seem depreciation beating.

They have some amazing deals on the Nissan Ariya, Lexus RZ450e, Jaguar iPace and Mercedes EQA.

Currently I'm in a 2000 Tesla Model 3, which I adore and my only complaint being that as a family of 4+dog, it's a bit small. I'd like to be back in an SUV.

The Jag is out, it's too expensive at £612 net a month. The EQA wasn't very nice inside quickly. For £450 net a month I can get the top of the range Ariya or the bottom of the range Lexus. Both big and fast, the Ariya has more range but the Lexus feels MUCH more premium.

I test drove the Lexus but it was very wallowy in the corners, but then I'm comparing it to the very planted Model 3. Wife simply didn't like the drive. Which leaves me with the Ariya. Does anyone own one?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post
    I'm more and more wanting to get a car through my work's company salary sacrifice scheme. It seems very tax efficient and the prices seem depreciation beating.

They have some amazing deals on the Nissan Ariya, Lexus RZ450e, Jaguar iPace and Mercedes EQA.

Currently I'm in a 2000 Tesla Model 3, which I adore and my only complaint being that as a family of 4+dog, it's a bit small. I'd like to be back in an SUV.

The Jag is out, it's too expensive at £612 net a month. The EQA wasn't very nice inside quickly. For £450 net a month I can get the top of the range Ariya or the bottom of the range Lexus. Both big and fast, the Ariya has more range but the Lexus feels MUCH more premium.

I test drove the Lexus but it was very wallowy in the corners, but then I'm comparing it to the very planted Model 3. Wife simply didn't like the drive. Which leaves me with the Ariya. Does anyone own one?
    I tried to get an Ariya but there was a huge waitlist. Very much liked it when I test drove the car, though try to abode the big wheels as it makes the car very crashy. I ended up with a Mustang Mach-E as (a) cheap (b) available (c) nice to drive.