closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Supermarket Food Prices

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Hear, hear...Ryan/ anyone could easily save himself/ themselves 50 quid a week so around 200 pounds a month, making his/ their own sarnies...2500 gbp p.a. cost of living crisis what cost of living crisis! Pretty sure that's more than the NIC reduction tax cut...
    This. I’ve made my lunches for most of my working life and will continue to do so! The idea of giving someone £6 and up for a sarnie i’m more than capable of making, using ingredients i’m 100% certain are first class doesn’t compute.
    Can spend the money i save towards going out for a nice meal at the weekend!

When I was living in Spain P, the menu del dia was €5 or less and usually included a drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    When I was living in Spain P, the menu del dia was €5 or less and usually included a drink.
    Can't buck inflation Dave, not even here, it's global, universal...death, taxes and inflation...it was a tenner when we first came, think always was drink included... if you were a couple and wanted the same colour wine we'd get the whole bottle, certainly at one oft visited place for sure...mind you that was early 2000's...exchange rate then was gratifying also.
    Last edited by Passenger; 23rd May 2024 at 18:29.

Grand Master
    Christ on a bike, when was that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Christ on a bike, when was that?

I lived there from 2006 to 2008 so a little while ago now.

During the week many restaurants, cafes here offer a 3 course meal, sometimes a choice of starter, main, desert, may/may not include a drink, wine, beer or soft for around 12 to 14 euros. Eat like that 5 days a week if you're not labouring in some sense, I'd be a blimp....we usually go out for one most weeks now, more frequently in the early days...then skip tea/ dinner or just make do with a sarnie, leftovers. Last weekend there was a book sale and a couple of other stalls in the square by the church, mrs P was on the stand, there was also a giant paella, 5 euros for a generous plate with a hunk of good bread...visitor numbers were low, so the diners were invited to another helping on the house, bless her she brought me another whole portion home, lovely bit of bread!

As an eating enthusiast I feel lucky to live here.

Obvs we're in the boonies here not Madrid in fairness.
    I spent 10 days in Madrid a few weeks ago - paella lunch for 2 with a bottle of water was 20 euros
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I spent 10 days in Madrid a few weeks ago - paella lunch for 2 with a bottle of water was 20 euros
    Hard to beat it Chris.

Grand Master
    I lived there from 2006 to 2008 so a little while ago now.
    Ah that makes sense, phew.

About 2014 was my last time being in Nerja after many visits over the years. I want to go back as used to love it, but reading it is now a very popular place puts me off from it being swarmed with IG folk.

Hard to beat it Chris.
    It was lovely - I really liked Madrid, first time there and we will be back!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

PDO Kalamata Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1L £11.99

Last edited by classics; 27th July 2024 at 00:43.

Thanks for that, it's a really great deal so will grab some today. Cheers.

Ordered one too so +thanks from me.

Ok based on some of the posts here I tried out Aldi as supposedly it is as good as the M&S stuff, just cheaper.

Absolutely it is NOT better lol - the M&S standard eggs are far superior with orange yolks as opposed to the insipid pale yolks of the Aldi eggs. The meat is much better at M&S as well. Veggies there isn't that much difference.

I can save money by cooking my food instead of take aways but I'll not be getting the ingredients from Aldi as there is a marked difference there.

I don’t rate M&S eggs. Dutchy organic for eggs and unhomogenised full fat milk here.

We dont do the weekly shop in Waitrose but I do go in for two those. Always worth it.

Supermarket Food Prices

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Ok based on some of the posts here I tried out Aldi as supposedly it is as good as the M&S stuff, just cheaper.

Absolutely it is NOT better lol - the M&S standard eggs are far superior with orange yolks as opposed to the insipid pale yolks of the Aldi eggs. The meat is much better at M&S as well. Veggies there isn't that much difference.

I can save money by cooking my food instead of take aways but I'll not be getting the ingredients from Aldi as there is a marked difference there.
    There is no law that you have to go to one supermarket for your weekly shop.

And to compare M&S with Aldi is just ridiculous.

Nobody does their weekly shop in M&S, and even they know that. That is why there are barely any trolleys; just baskets.

It is for skimming some of the nice quality stuff they have as add ons to the weekly shop.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

Nobody does their weekly shop in M&S, and even they know that. That is why there are barely any trolleys; just baskets.

It is for skimming some of the nice quality stuff they have as add ons to the weekly shop.
    Should have clarified I used Ocado.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I don’t rate M&S eggs. Dutchy organic for eggs and unhomogenised full fat milk here.

We dont do the weekly shop in Waitrose but I do go in for two those. Always worth it.
    I don't actually rate Waitrose that much- I don't see any significant step up in quality vs Sainsbury's for example.

Eggs wise I really like the Burford Browns but they are very spendy these days and we go through at least a dozen a day here.

Master
    I'd disagree Ryan.
    I think the Aldi's meat is pretty good but it's their Veg I find crap.
    Buy my olive oil there too.
    M&S for Deli stuff.
    I think the orange yolk with eggs is just down to what foodstuffs the chickens eat.
    I think it's an urban myth that they are somehow superior.
    Happy to be corrected of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I'd disagree Ryan.
    M&S for Deli stuff.
    I think the orange yolk with eggs is just down to what foodstuffs the chickens eat.
    They feed the hens paprika

https://www.clarencecourt.co.uk/faqs/

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

You have no idea how people shop, you are basing this on how you shop, which is with a calculator; your flat bread / yeast bread pizza says all we need to know about how tight you are.

You skim reduced items like you do in Waitrose for Gail’s. Pikey.

Should have clarified I used Ocado.
    The best option of them all, match to Tesco & the best delivery / logistics out there. I’m a huge fan, having used them all.

Oooh. Interesting.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Blog Entries
    I don't actually rate Waitrose that much- I don't see any significant step up in quality vs Sainsbury's for example.

Eggs wise I really like the Burford Browns but they are very spendy these days and we go through at least a dozen a day here.
    A dozen a day? Hucking fell, I like eggs, but the morning wood would kill me ;)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

That would bung you up for a week.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Oooh. Interesting.
    I feel cheated with this information. Paprika just feels wrong for some reason, turmeric would at least have given the hens some potential health benefits lol.

I feel cheated with this information. Paprika just feels wrong for some reason, turmeric would at least have given the hens some potential health benefits lol.
    I saw a farmer before on instagram say birds/hens can’t taste/notice spice so an organic way of deworming is just to load up the feed with all kinds of spices which kill the parasites.

In nature the yolk colour depends on diet and is darker when eating insects and worms. The same farmer had a lamb which didn’t make it and gave the guts to the chickens and the next week the yolks intense.

It also works if you put cayenne pepper on the seeds you fill the bird feeder with if you have squirrels raiding it. The birds don’t mind, squirrels do.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I saw a farmer before on instagram say birds/hens can’t taste/notice spice so an organic way of deworming is just to load up the feed with all kinds of spices which kill the parasites.

In nature the yolk colour depends on diet and is darker when eating insects and worms. The same farmer had a lamb which didn’t make it and gave the guts to the chickens and the next week the yolks intense.
    Wow, that's horrible!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Grand Master

Interesting. A friend keeps chickens & he did the insect feeding for them, the intensity of the yolk colour was amazing. I’m now craving a couple of boiled eggs & soldiers to kick the day off.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It also works if you put cayenne pepper on the seeds you fill the bird feeder with if you have squirrels raiding it. The birds don’t mind, squirrels do.

Birds will actively eat the hottest chilis (Reapers etc) as people discover when they leave the plants in open air in summer.

Craftsman
    I appreciate it’s very subjective and this is not meant to be in any way controversial so can I ask: are Aldi and Lidl any cheaper nowadays and is their food as good as or any better than the likes of Sainsbury’s/Tesco/Waitrose/M&S?

The reason I ask is because I am repeatedly informed by some friends and relatives that Lidl is excellent and so much cheaper than Sainsbury’s, which is currently where I do the majority of my food shopping. I’d therefore be grateful for an impartial (informed) opinion.

When I have popped into Aldi or Lidl for the odd one or two things, I do check a few shelf labels and see that most things are on par price wise with Sainsbury’s but haven’t ever done a full shop there, mostly because I don’t want the inconvenience at the moment of having to learn a new supermarket layout if that makes sense. I’m also not totally convinced they’re any cheaper overall.

As well as only a few niceties in the hope to reduce my paunch, it’s often only the staples I buy such as bread, milk, cheese, fruit (good quality is important), pasta, meat and fish etc.

I’d be very grateful for anyone’s thoughts on this.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My view is Lidl have gone downhill, particularly stuff like fresh fruit and veg.

Waitrose essential stuff is better and doesn’t seem much more expensive.

Blog Entries
    For me it's not about the price, but the way it's produced, food that is.
    I'd rather eat less and have sustainably produced food.

Some prices are ludicrous, somewhere in the chain someone has to suffer, and it's not the supermarkets.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Interesting. A friend keeps chickens & he did the insect feeding for them, the intensity of the yolk colour was amazing. I’m now craving a couple of boiled eggs & soldiers to kick the day off.

I saw a TikTok yesterday of a guy who bought a load of minnows to put in his shallow pond for his chickens, they went mental for them.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I'd disagree Ryan.
    M&S for Deli stuff.
    The steaks are exceptional from Aldi and much better, and cheaper, than all the other supermarkets.

M&S can be very reasonable these days, for somethings

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    The steaks are exceptional from Aldi and much better, and cheaper, than all the other supermarkets.
    Was in Aldi today and picked up a filet steak for £4.99 as opposed to Marks at £8.00 for the Wife she only likes filet we will see the “ proof is in the pudding”
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Was in Aldi today and picked up a filet steak for £4.99 as opposed to Marks at £8.00 for the Wife she only likes filet we will see the “ proof is in the pudding”
    Had an Aldi filet steak for dinner this evening and it was very good - but not a patch on their ribeye tbh, they really are excellent

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Had an Aldi filet steak for dinner this evening and it was very good - but not a patch on their ribeye tbh, they really are excellent
    Filet steak is buttery smooth but not very tasty on its own (the old adage "the taste is in the fat" is true, and is why tournedos have a band of lard around them). Ideally you want to have a nice pepper or mustard sauce with them (or a slice of warm foie gras if you really feel self-indulgent).
    Ribeye, on the other hand, is one of the tastiest cuts of meat and almost on a par with filet for tenderness (is that the right word?)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    My view is Lidl have gone downhill, particularly stuff like fresh fruit and veg.

Waitrose essential stuff is better and doesn’t seem much more expensive.
    A few years ago I did some deliveries into Lidl shops from one of there distribution centres by artic. Let’s say I’ve never stepped foot into one of there shops since.

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    A few years ago I did some deliveries into Lidl shops from one of there distribution centres by artic. Let’s say I’ve never stepped foot into one of there shops since.

You make a powerful argument……..

Err……. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Filet steak is buttery smooth but not very tasty on its own (the old adage "the taste is in the fat" is true, and is why tournedos have a band of lard around them). Ideally you want to have a nice pepper or mustard sauce with them (or a slice of warm foie gras if you really feel self-indulgent).
    Ribeye, on the other hand, is one of the tastiest cuts of meat and almost on a par with filet for tenderness (is that the right word?)
    I found with a lot of their steaks, that they must have been par-frozen in a vertical sided shaper, then vac-packed in that shape.

When it came time to cook it - the shape was lost and the thickness was all over the place.

I think Aldi/Lidl/Asda - it can be a bit hit or miss.

All the chickens in Aldi have burns on hock burn from living life sat in their own urine. Wouldn’t be my choice of supplier.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-e...t-68406398.amp

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I found with a lot of their steaks, that they must have been par-frozen in a vertical sided shaper, then vac-packed in that shape.

When it came time to cook it - the shape was lost and the thickness was all over the place.

I think Aldi/Lidl/Asda - it can be a bit hit or miss.
    I do not disagree. My comment was about the cuts of meat rather than the place where they were purchased.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    You make a powerful argument……..

Err……. Why?
    Let’s say the packing and loading left a lot to be desired, the pickers were given pallets to load and the stock fitted at the bottom and was like an ice cream cone towards the top before shrink wrapping, pallets are that size for a reason as they just fit on wagons so WD40 was used to lube the pallets to slide them in so lots of damages and general crap lying about. So after that I’ve never been to shop there. I don’t buy frozen turkey as I’ve been in a place where they killed plucked and froze 47,000 a day in the run up to Christmas, that was minging.

If you´re gonna have a Turkey for Xmas, for my money, personally speaking only get a fresh one. On the topic of Lidl, popped in and bought a Scottish single malt yesterday, just 11.99 euro a bottle, holy haggises!

All the chickens in Aldi have burns on hock burn from living life sat in their own urine. Wouldn’t be my choice of supplier.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-e...t-68406398.amp
    Unfortunately the inevitable drop in welfare standards is as a consequence of the drive for ever cheaper chicken (and meat generally). The broiler sheds these birds are reared in are overwhelmingly awful and that is definitely not limited to Aldi's supply chain alone. Even 'free range' sheds are often so huge that the birds in the middle never go outside as they have no idea the doors are even open as the sheds are so crowded.

It is the same story for pork and other meats too.

We all just need to wake up and buy better quality, slow grown, high welfare meat and accept the higher price that comes with it, and eat meat less often, particularly if funds are tight. Until that happens these horrific broiler sheds and indoor-only raised crated pig systems will continue to be used.
    The meat industry has become a race to the bottom and is a very sorry state of affairs, but is ultimately driven by consumer demand and corporate greed.
    A chicken should cost far more than a couple of £'s.

Sorry, rant over.

Lidl still do fantastic pastel de nata though
    https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/pastel-del-nata/p128974

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Unfortunately the inevitable drop in welfare standards is as a consequence of the drive for ever cheaper chicken (and meat generally). The broiler sheds these birds are reared in are overwhelmingly awful and that is definitely not limited to Aldi's supply chain alone. Even 'free range' sheds are often so huge that the birds in the middle never go outside as they have no idea the doors are even open as the sheds are so crowded.

It is the same story for pork and other meats too.

We all just need to wake up and buy better quality, slow grown, high welfare meat and accept the higher price that comes with it, and eat meat less often, particularly if funds are tight. Until that happens these horrific broiler sheds and indoor-only raised crated pig systems will continue to be used.
    The meat industry has become a race to the bottom and is a very sorry state of affairs, but is ultimately driven by consumer demand and corporate greed.
    A chicken should cost far more than a couple of £'s.

Sorry, rant over.
    Exactly this. Far better to spend the money on a properly reared bird and then use it properly - plenty of meat on the bones that is usually thrown away that can be picked off and used the next day in a stir fry etc so you can maximise the value. Plus it tastes much better than a £3 chicken.

Exactly this. Far better to spend the money on a properly reared bird and then use it properly - plenty of meat on the bones that is usually thrown away that can be picked off and used the next day in a stir fry etc so you can maximise the value. Plus it tastes much better than a £3 chicken.
    Gulp a 3 quid chicken , seriously? That can´t be a good one in any sense.

Gulp a 3 quid chicken , seriously? That can´t be a good one in any sense.
    £2.70 at Sainsbury's for a small bird

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/...g-7987004-p-44