closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 363 of 367 FirstFirst ... 263313353361362363364365 ... LastLast
Results 18,101 to 18,150 of 18333

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    We're getting there, slowly but surely. The new fencing wasn't planned but the old panels all fell apart when the two sheds were taken down (I should probably have realised it would happen as they'd been up for about 25 years). Still got to have the path/ramp from the patio to the garage built, and the slab is also going to be surrounded by 18" of gravel on each side. Then we're going to do a bit of planting.

Oh, and yes - there are two ground anchors

Been up since 4am this morning! A bit stressed as the general building work is a few days behind schedule but the garage is in the process of going up today and will be finished by mid-afternoon. Allegedly, all of the other building work should be finished by Saturday.

Oh, and I'm picking the bike up tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    All great roads, I grew up in Calder valley and lived at Blackshaw Head so it’s bringing back memories. The road up through Cragg Vale is good once you get out of the top of the valley and Blackstone Edge road down into Littleborough is fast but tricky on a big bike but should be fine on a smaller bike. If you fancy doing an extra loop, I’d suggest not turning off to Widdop first time round but continuing towards Heptonstall and following the road round to the left to bypass the village, dropping down into the valley and turning right at Mytholm taking you back up to Blackshaw Head. It’s steep and twisty but doable on a 125 (I used to do it on a TY50). It’s well worth doing if you’re in the area.

Have fun and take some pictures please.
    All this talk of the Calder valley, hope everyone there is safe as they were flood warnings yesterday
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Been up since 4am this morning! A bit stressed as the general building work is a few days behind schedule but the garage is in the process of going up today and will be finished by mid-afternoon. Allegedly, all of the other building work should be finished by Saturday.

Oh, and I'm picking the bike up tomorrow!
    Looking good Tony, it'll be great to see some photos of it when it's complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    All this talk of the Calder valley, hope everyone there is safe as they were flood warnings yesterday
    The River Calder used to flood at least once a year but further up the valley at Charlestown where there were no buildings. It did particularly block the road though.

Due to a lack of river maintenance (dredging etc), the flooding now happens in the centre of Hebden Bridge where the Colden,Hebden and Elphin rivers meet and also a little further down in Mytholroyd.

Hopefully they will have avoided it this time round.

Like a catwalk

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Looking good Tony, it'll be great to see some photos of it when it's complete.
    It's getting there, Duncan...

I'll post a photo when the rest of the work is also finished, though, likely on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Like a catwalk
    Don't put ideas in my head!

Master
    Looks v good

The train of thought that started with the Classic 350 and has trundled through the Interceptor 650, the Z650RS, the W800, the T100 etc took me to the local Triumph dealership, where they very helpfully have a 2019 Street Twin in stock. I spent a short while sitting on it. Seat wasn't too low, ground wasn't too close, handlebars seemed in a natural position, extra inch on front wheel didn't alarm.

A low mileage 2019 model is around the same price as a 2024 CB500. So now I've two distinct choices to keep in mind. One is rather more characterful than the other. I have to decide if that's correct for me or just correct for some very pleasant daydreams. A decision best made after the experience of doing my training. Had best get cracking with that.

I'll post a photo when the rest of the work is also finished, though, likely on Saturday.

Don't put ideas in my head!
    Looking good Tony!

The train of thought that started with the Classic 350 and has trundled through the Interceptor 650, the Z650RS, the W800, the T100 etc took me to the local Triumph dealership, where they very helpfully have a 2019 Street Twin in stock. I spent a short while sitting on it. Seat wasn't too low, ground wasn't too close, handlebars seemed in a natural position, extra inch on front wheel didn't alarm.

A low mileage 2019 model is around the same price as a 2024 CB500. So now I've two distinct choices to keep in mind. One is rather more characterful than the other. I have to decide if that's correct for me or just correct for some very pleasant daydreams. A decision best made after the experience of doing my training. Had best get cracking with that.

The Triumph will probably suit you equally as well as the Honda and I would think you’d be less likely to be looking for something new so soon (unless you’re Tony’s twin!).

Looks plenty big enough Tony, you'd be amazed at how many bikes you could cram in there, I'd guess at 4 to 6 depending on the bike!

The Triumph will probably suit you equally as well as the Honda
    I knew I was onto something when I read some speed queen calling it weedy.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Looks v good
    Cheers!

Looking good Tony!

The Triumph will probably suit you equally as well as the Honda and I would think you’d be less likely to be looking for something new so soon (unless you’re Tony’s twin!).
    Errr...

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Looks plenty big enough Tony, you'd be amazed at how many bikes you could cram in there, I'd guess at 4 to 6 depending on the bike!
    It seems huge inside

Well, it's not for me to try to influence you. (Street Twin every day of the week!!)

Well, it's not for me to try to influence you. (Street Twin every day of the week!!)
    I was aware of how uncontroversial a suggestion it would be in this thread

Master
    Friend of mine has a 2022 CB500. He's about to swap it for a Speed Twin 900...

When travelling around on my 125, I'm using 3rd to 6th all the time, up and down, up and down, which I rather enjoy, it's very engaging. Reviews of the CB500s often say that that engine also needs endlessly careful gear selection, and previously I've thought, well I wouldn't be complaining about that. However, when I'm out for 8 or 9 hours, I begin to remind myself of Jaap Stam's description of the Neville Bros.

When I was leaving the Triumph dealership, I did worry that I had been cheating on Miles Kingsport in Hull. Tut tut.

Master
    When travelling around on my 125, I'm using 3rd to 6th all the time, up and down, up and down, which I rather enjoy, it's very engaging. Reviews of the CB500s often say that that engine also needs endlessly careful gear selection, and previously I've thought, well I wouldn't be complaining about that. However, when I'm out for 8 or 9 hours, I begin to remind myself of Jaap Stam's description of the Neville Bros.

When I was leaving the Triumph dealership, I did worry that I had been cheating on Miles Kingsport in Hull. Tut tut.
    8-9 hours - make sure that seats comfortable- it’s definitely not a given

Craftsman

With more space in the garage at last. it was inevitable...

Just bought the bike in the middle of this photo, will get it in a week or so when its registered.. My first brand new bike since 1999.. Too wet today to take a demo out for a ride. But it was sold when I fired it up.. surprisingly loud for a new bike, each one is SVA'd, so don't have to meet Euro regulations.. Hope I don't live to regret it..

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Just back from a pre bike meet bike meet with friends from up North,I took them to Caffeine and Machine.

They are staying in Long Compton for the night to get to the bike meet early Saturday then ride back.

I am putting on a bike meet tommorow (I do 2 a year now, season start and finnish).

I invited Alen Millyard who said he would come if its not raining, hopefully on his magnificent Z6, Henry cole has been invited as well.

The weather looks perfect should be a good turn out.

Big crowd,some people travelling from far stayed overnight to make it a easier journey and make a weekend of it.

I took some of them overnighting from up North to caffeine and machine the night before.

Neither Allen (we have some engineers he might have found interesting to talk technical) nor Henry turned up,no cameras maybe the reason.

The next one will be in August which I am working around the IOM so regulars to my meets can make it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We're getting there, slowly but surely. The new fencing wasn't planned but the old panels all fell apart when the two sheds were taken down (I should probably have realised it would happen as they'd been up for about 25 years). Still got to have the path/ramp from the patio to the garage built, and the slab is also going to be surrounded by 18" of gravel on each side. Then we're going to do a bit of planting.

Oh, and yes - there are two ground anchors

Thats a good start,I dont know what layout you have in mind.

With mine I off set my door so I could easy swoop in and then put all my racking on the other side.

That way I could also push the bike straight out without manoeuvering.

EDIT I see the garage is up now very nice,it will make life easier for you.
    Last edited by bwest76; 23rd May 2024 at 19:12.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Be careful out there guys. Straight road, dry, hot, sunny.
    Tank slapper saw the end of this bike today.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
    Sheesh, Sorry to see this I hope you get well soon.

Master
    Just back from a couple of days in the Lakes. We had planned to do six passes (Wrynose, Hardknott, Honister, Whinlatter, Newlands and Kirkstone). Everything was right - except the weather, which was horrible, so the plan went out of the window.

This was a typical view, with the low cloud:

However, it brightened up a little and we even had a brief glimpse of blue sky at the top of Kirkstone.

Bike collection day...

It's been months since I've ridden, and I'm stupidly excited.

thats a 3 bike garage you are having built , you can have one for distance one for blasting and one for sunday best :)

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    thats a 3 bike garage you are having built , you can have one for distance one for blasting and one for sunday best :)
    Yeah, it's going to require a lot of self control.

Yeah, it's going to require a lot of self control.
    Where did self control ever get you?

Nope - the additional space will be filled with a hydraulic bike ramp, an old flat-screen TV for YouTube’s, and a small second-hand beer fridge. (And a camping seat).

Watch this space………….

Living where I live, and riding where I like to ride, if I had a garage I wound put a roof over the area immediately in front of it, so that if I finished a ride in the rain I could wash it and leave it to dry under shelter before taking it indoors.

This won't be everyone's cup of tea on here but I'm chuffed with my rebuild of the Triumph Bobber...

Got 75 miles under my belt since collecting the bike yesterday, and I have to say I felt quite awkward at first (it's been months since I've ridden, mind). Anyway, loved it and can actually change gear with my dodgy foot, albeit changing up requires some concentration!

Four people stopped to talk about the bike in Epping this morning, and one of them took a video!

Last edited by learningtofly; 25th May 2024 at 13:35.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    This won't be everyone's cup of tea on here but I'm chuffed with my rebuild of the Triumph Bobber...

Not my cup of tea but it looks like you’ve done a great job.

Great news Tony, no stopping you now!

Great news Tony, no stopping you now!
    Not so sure. I subtly mentioned another bike to Bea, and her response was "If you can afford another bike you can buy me a new car"!

Master
    Got 75 miles under my belt since collecting the bike yesterday, and I have to say I felt quite awkward at first (it's been months since I've ridden, mind). Anyway, loved it and can actually change gear with my dodgy foot, albeit changing up requires some concentration!

Four people stopped to talk about the bike in Epping this morning, and one of them took a video!
    Perfect for the roads I’ll be taking you on👍👍

Master
    Blog Entries

Nice, it looks like you have invented a new genre "The Chobber".

Well done Tony
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Perfect for the roads I’ll be taking you on
    Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Well done Tony
    Thanks Andy.

I've been going through Autotrader ads for Speed Twin 900 aka Street Twin. Here are a few prices. There was a significant upgrade in 2019, so that's my cut-off. There was another upgrade in 2021.

£8,800 - New
    £8,500 - 500 miles, '23
    £8,000 - 2,200 miles, '23
    £7,500 - 1,400 miles, '21
    £7,300 - 4,000 miles, '23
    £7,000 - 645 miles, '19
    £6,500 - 5,000 miles, '19
    £6,000 - 9,000 miles, '20

I get that low mileage is worth paying for, but to me, but to me they all look pretty low. The one at £6,500 stands out to me (mostly because it's red, local, and around the same price as a new CB500). It is worth paying another £500 for something the same age which has scarcely been ridden?

Is there a point when very low mileage over several years actually becomes a concern, do bikes mind sitting about, inert?

I've been going through Autotrader ads for Speed Twin 900 aka Street Twin. Here are a few prices. There was a significant upgrade in 2019, so that's my cut-off. There was another upgrade in 2021.

£8,800 - New
    £8,500 - 500 miles, '23
    £8,000 - 2,200 miles, '23
    £7,500 - 1,400 miles, '21
    £7,300 - 4,000 miles, '23
    £7,000 - 645 miles, '19
    £6,500 - 5,000 miles, '19
    £6,000 - 9,000 miles, '20

I get that low mileage is worth paying for, but to me, but to me they all look pretty low. The one at £6,500 stands out to me (mostly because it's red, local, and around the same price as a new CB500). It is worth paying another £500 for something the same age which has scarcely been ridden?

Is there a point when very low mileage over several years actually becomes a concern, do bikes mind sitting about, inert?
    A 2019 bike is right on the cusp, so you'd need to ensure that it isn't a late 2018 MY. Otherwise it's your choice (I'd pay the additional £500, all other things being equal, although I'd want to know whether it had been serviced at all as - if not - that might add to the cost differential).

i'd go for the speed twin over the street twin (a friend of mine owns a street twin and my washing machine has more power than it)

couple of things with triumph motorcycles ive noticed>

deprecation has been a lot less for me compared to other bikes (they hold there value well compared to other brands ive owned)
    the major service costs (valve clearances) are eye watering
    they are very well finished bikes and im sure i'll own another speed triple at some point (or a speed twin)
    Last edited by pugster; 26th May 2024 at 06:26.

Master
    Tony, great to see you back out on the bike after all the crap you have been through. Made my morning seeing this, hope you get back to feeling natural on it & have a great summer ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Tony, great to see you back out on the bike after all the crap you have been through. Made my morning seeing this, hope you get back to feeling natural on it & have a great summer ahead.
    Thanks Matt, really appreciate it!

i'd go for the speed twin over the street twin (a friend of mine owns a street twin and my washing machine has more power than it)
    Going through the reviews over the years, the improvements seem mostly to have come before the recent name change, the big one being for 2019. eg from MCN:

The old 900cc machine was a little gutless. However, that has been rectified thanks to an increase in power from 54bhp to 64bhp. The upgraded engine revs quicker and to 500rpm higher. The result is a 2019 model that pulls stronger in the mid-range and feels more alive underneath you. There’s significantly more torque throughout the rev range. Tap back one gear for a fast overtake and the new Street Twin delivers, whereas the old model was a little shy

I've watched demos from the various years, which bear this out. Since I know I would be perfectly happy with a post-2021 CB500F, which is £6200 brand new, I'm not keen on throwing money that I don't have to at a Street Twin.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 26th May 2024 at 08:44. Reason: layout

Going through the reviews over the years, the improvements seem mostly to have come before the recent name change, the big one being for 2019. Eg from MCN The old 900cc machine was a little gutless. However, that has been rectified thanks to an increase in power from 54bhp to 64bhp. The upgraded engine revs quicker and to 500rpm higher. The result is a 2019 model that pulls stronger in the mid-range and feels more alive underneath you. There’s significantly more torque throughout the rev range. Tap back one gear for a fast overtake and the new Street Twin delivers, whereas the old model was a little shy

I've watched demos from the various years, which bear this out. Since I know I would be perfectly happy with a post-2021 CB500F, which is £6200 brand new, I'm not keen on throwing money that I don't have to at a Street Twin.
    Yes, that's correct. The upgrade on the original Street Twin came before the name change, and the name change was just that.

Yes, that's correct. The upgrade on the original Street Twin came before the name change, and the name change was just that.
    Cheers

A 2019 bike is right on the cusp, so you'd need to ensure that it isn't a late 2018 MY.
    That particular one is at a Triumph dealership (and they've done all its servicing) so getting that clear should be straightforward. I am educating myself on the visual changes that have come with the upgrades. The 2019 came in a nice plain red, very me.

Edit: just noticed that the sod-all mileage for only £500 more was a private seller, I shouldn't have included that in the comparisons, obvs.

Something else I've been educating myself on is the reputation for SuperBike Factory. Blimey.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 26th May 2024 at 08:07.

Blog Entries

I like it. Reminds me of my Street Bob, which might not have been your cup of tea also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Congrats Tony, must feel great to be back out there!

Had a nice ride out to The Kingsley cafe yesterday for a coffee and called in at the Red Lion in Cassington on the way home. Coming home through Cumnor we had an unscheduled stop as I felt the back end start to slide, we pulled in at a handy pub to find my rear tyre completely flat. No nails or screws evident in the tyre so I assume the tube gave up the ghost. Had to wait a couple of hours for recovery but I can think of a lot worse places to break down than a nice country pub on a sunny day, especially as I could drown my sorrows as I wouldn't be doing any more riding that day. My mate stayed with me until the AA arrived which was good of him considering he could only drink coffee!

Master
    Going through the reviews over the years, the improvements seem mostly to have come before the recent name change, the big one being for 2019. eg from MCN:

The old 900cc machine was a little gutless. However, that has been rectified thanks to an increase in power from 54bhp to 64bhp. The upgraded engine revs quicker and to 500rpm higher. The result is a 2019 model that pulls stronger in the mid-range and feels more alive underneath you. There’s significantly more torque throughout the rev range. Tap back one gear for a fast overtake and the new Street Twin delivers, whereas the old model was a little shy

What you need to do is to go and test ride them all if you can, taking a week or so trawling round the dealers going for a ride will save you heartache later. You have to remember journalists may say it’s underpowered but what’s that against? They ride so many bikes it’s are they just into the modern frame of mind and think everything should be 150hp.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    that Vincent is one gorgeous motorcycle,as a life long dyed in the wool brit affectionado its the dogs danglies.