closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a bargain vintage chrono and what lurks beneath :)

Buying a bargain vintage chrono and what lurks beneath :)

This “bargain” buy has reminded me why I had stopped buying vintage autos the last couple of years  the seller/Gregs description was good and honest.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...eeds-some-love

After giving it a quick once over it was obvious it needed a service so I sent it to Simon Wilkinson who IMO is one of the best when it comes to servicing vintage chronos (and others).
    Simon received the 6138 on the 30th April and it is now ready to return 22cd May, great turn round.

Simons first thoughts on receiving the 6138:
    The movement is in fair to good condition and when serviced I'd expect it to run very nicely. I can see a little rust on the barrel bridge (near the levers that are driven by the pushers - indicating water ingress via the pushers/crown. Hopefully there isn't anymore - these 6138's do often suffer rust on the chrono levers dial side complication.
    Its going to need a case stripdown and clean, new gaskets, and a full service
    The dial is a bit 'dirty' but should clean up well. This model doesn't have lumed dial batons (or lumed H/M hands).
    The chrono sub dial hands are wrong.
    The hour counter hand is VERY wrong and I'm pretty sure whoever fitted it also fitted the H hand in place of the M hand (you can see from the pictures that the 6pm sub dial M hand is too short).
    Stefan is still selling NOS hands.

I also sent a pair of NOS pushers that I had in my spares draw, I love the piston style pushers on these.

I told Simon to do what ever needed as at this stage in for a penny in for a few quid 
    Simon then stripped the 6138 and below are his observations:

My observations are:
    1 - I can see why the chrono hour hand that was fitted is incorrect - the tip of the chrono hour wheel is snapped off. We will need to replace this. I will need to see if I have a spare - from memory I used my last one a while back (for the same reason - snapped off tip).
    2 - there is quite bad rust under the chrono levers on the barrel bridge. I can clean this up to an extent, but the rust is worse on the underside and in particular around the studs which holds the lever to the bridge. This will only get worse over time. Ideally we ought to replace the bridge. I think I have spares (NOS or used but will need to check).
    3 - the mainspring is badly deformed (in the vertical plane) - indicating that whoever last worked on this watch was a bodger (they probably snapped the tip off the chrono hour wheel). Ideally we ought to replace the mainspring as the twist will cause it to rub on the barrel lid/bottom. I have spares (used).

At this point I told Simon too do whatever was needed and then had a little cry 
    Simon contacted me May 22cd to let me know it was ready to come home and his service charge.

My charges are:

£175 - full 6138B movement service
    £15 - full case stripdown & clean
    £10 - new gaskets (crown, caseback)
    £35 - new crystal (Sternkreuz)
    £30 - replacement hour wheel (original - tip snapped off)
    £20 - replacement barrel bridge (original - badly rusted)
    £10 - replacement mainspring (original - badly deformed)
    £21 - replacement chrono hands
    £10 - return p&p
    total - £326

I now have a nice 6138 with age related wabi which will more than likely last longer than me which in total has cost about £450.
    It just goes to show how much a recent service is worth on a vintage watch.

Ps: Did I want a 6138 in my collection having sold the ones I had? no but I couldn’t resist a bargain  

Has bought.

Ready to strip.

Stripped.

Figures having run for a day.

Ready to come home (note photo shows servicing crown still in place).

Blog Entries
    Oh man... sorry that you've had to put some outlay into this... truly.

I'm glad now that I described it as I did... and priced it as I did.

I'd be eternally mortified if I had put it up for more than that and it needed all that. That doesn't makes up for it all, but at least you didn't collect it for say £200 - £250... more.

Gutted mate. But fair play on seeing it out and getting the work done.

Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Oh man... sorry that you've had to put some outlay into this... truly.

I'm glad now that I described it as I did... and priced it as I did.

I'd be eternally mortified if I had put it up for more than that and it needed all that. That doesn't makes up for it all, but at least you didn't collect it for say £200 - £250... more.

Gutted mate. But fair play on seeing it out and getting the work done.

Greg.
    Nothing to be sorry about Greg, you sold a vintage watch honestly and it was what it was.

For £426 you have got a really nice classic Seiko, with service history, which is going to give years of pleasure before it needs anything further doing. I've taken deeper baths on vintage watches. I'd be happy with that outcome

Master
    I guess that's just a consequence of vintage watches at a price point where such costs are a significant percentage of the watch's value, compared with more expensive models. Fair play for saving it and I hope you get commensurate pleasure from wearing it.

Great post and pics. Are you going to wear it on bracelet or a strap? I think it would look great on a racing strap.

Good for you for seeing it through and ending up with a very nice chrono. The investment may have been more than initially planned, but personally I generally get more enjoyment out of tired/broken watches brought back to life than out of watches that were mint to begin with.

I like that a lot - for £450 you've done incredibly well.
    "A man of little significance"

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thats very nice, love the orange highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryb View Post
    Great post and pics. Are you going to wear it on bracelet or a strap? I think it would look great on a racing strap.
    I do like bracelets but i'm thinking of looking for a nice black leather for it.

this is the watch that started this crazy game for me many years ago followed by the seiko bullheads , great watches

Hi John, another great piece resurrected well done for getting the work done.

It does make us appreciate the valuable work and skill that Simon and a few others can do to help breathe life back into these timepieces.

Derek

Master
    Great read and a good outcome John

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Seconded, a lovely watch that will last for another 50 years. You will enjoy the watch long after the money is forgotten.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Great looking watch and now fully cleaned and serviced for the price, seems a happy ending all in to be honest.

Seconded. Looking at the parts and prices list I immediately thought it was good value, dare I say quite cheap. I think you've got a stunning and reasonably rare Seiko in perfect working order for £450. I'd say well done :)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post

Craftsman
    I do like that!

This is really a hobby after all and, a bit like classic cars (albeit, in a different price bracket!), what you have done appeals to me - I just wish I had the skills to restore stuff like this!

A nice interesting watch and now restored should give you much pleasure in wearing.

Lovely watch.

Vintage watches (especially Seiko's) can be a can of worms at times.

Master
    If it’s any consolation, OP, I had a slightly larger repair bill for a Seiko navigator bought on eBay. It was running but clearly hadn’t had any attention for years. I knew it would need a service but the known unknown was whether some parts would need replacing, which they did.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    If it’s any consolation, OP, I had a slightly larger repair bill for a Seiko navigator bought on eBay. It was running but clearly hadn’t had any attention for years. I knew it would need a service but the known unknown was whether some parts would need replacing, which they did.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Its a costly game thats for sure, I think I still have quite a few spares knocking about for that model, looks good.

The 6138 arrived back today (thanks Simon) and it really does look superb, the ugly duckling is now a swan :)

That looks really awesome 🤩

Craftsman
    Love it and for me well worth it. Plus it gives a real personal connection to a watch which I think adds to the liking of it perhaps. I bought a Seiko H558 Arnie years ago (cheaply ha!) which had water ingress and a difficult search ensued for a movement which was eventually identified. It’s cost far more than a minter and will never be mint but because of all that I don’t think I’d ever get rid of it.

Craftsman
    That’s a good looking watch. Simon’s prices look very reasonable too. Would you mind PM’ing his contact details to me?

Does Simon do other brands? Breitling 1806?

Quote Originally Posted by YCymro View Post
    That’s a good looking watch. Simon’s prices look very reasonable too. Would you mind PM’ing his contact details to me?

pm sent.

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    Does Simon do other brands? Breitling 1806?
    I've sent you his email, ask him ?