closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I have de-wait listed myself ...

Hybrid View

Grand Master
    Well done that'll learn them
    RIAC

Master
    My dealer de-listed me for a steel SkyDweller after I turned down their offer of a yellow gold Sub!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Well done that'll learn them
    I'm sure it won't make a blind bit of difference all the time there is a long queue of people standing behind me willing to buy ...

My issue is not with the lack of availability it is with the poor service experienced.

For me being treated so poorly just puts a sour taste over the whole experience and so I no longer want the watch even if they offered me one now at a discount ... a watch for me is a significant purchase usually associated with some sort of personal milestone and becomes attached to that ... if the process of buying is so negative then the whole ownership experience is tainted so I'll pass on it.

I have pinged the CEO an email expressing my dissatisfaction over the poor service ... we will see if I get any response.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Smacks of a dairy farmer refusing to buy milk from Asda anymore because the checkout lad didnt engage him in a chat about cattle.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Smacks of a dairy farmer refusing to buy milk from Asda anymore because the checkout lad didnt engage him in a chat about cattle.
    Priceless C, just priceless

Steve

I'm off to buy a bag of nails tomorrow.
    Will I need to gen up on my joinery small talk for the sales staff?
    I'm starting to get a bit worried now.

These analogies are plain stupid. I understand exactly what the OP meant and he’s quite right.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 28th February 2024 at 20:51.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    These analogies are plain stupid. I understand exactly what the OP meant and he’s quite right.
    Agreed, with the OP on this. It’s lack of service / interest displayed by a lot of places rather than bad service IME.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprised people are championing crap service!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I see the OP point of view, but didn't seem like he was rude, more in a job he doesn't feel enthusiastic about on that day.

Grand Master
    Priceless, comedy genius! Love the analogy even though my opinion sways towards the OP’s point of view.

Spending £9k on a watch should involve more sense of occasion than buying milk at Asda, sadly some ADs are totally overlooking this and treating buyers with indifference.

I’ve come across car salesmen with a similar poor attitude towards customers, usually mid-late 20-somethings in ill-fitting suits who couldn’t afford to buy the stuff they’re selling.

Why would a dairy farmer be buying milk from ASDA?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Why would a dairy farmer be buying milk from ASDA?
    Because the supermarkets have screwed him so hard on price, it's actually cheaper for him?

EDIT: Or her
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 28th February 2024 at 21:32.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You may mock if you wish but buying a £9k watch to mark my impending retirement is a big deal for me and I expect a bit of effort from the vendor.

This view is based on the compound effect of 3 indifferent visits. Keep in mind that they requested I kept in touch during the wait even requiring me to visit with ID at one point.

Anyway, it’s sucked all the joy out of the process so I’m not playing the game any further.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    You may mock if you wish but buying a £9k watch to mark my impending retirement is a big deal for me and I expect a bit of effort from the vendor.

This view is based on the compound effect of 3 indifferent visits. Keep in mind that they requested I kept in touch during the wait even requiring me to visit with ID at one point.

Anyway, it’s sucked all the joy out of the process so I’m not playing the game any further.
    Get a barely used black Seamaster for £3k and feel just as rewarded. The extra £6k can be enjoyed in a myriad of ways. :-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Get a barely used black Seamaster for £3k and feel just as rewarded. The extra £6k can be enjoyed in a myriad of ways. :-)
    Like most here I don’t need any more watches so I’ll just stick with the nice ones I already have, although I do have an interest in a couple of Grand Seikos and I was very well looked after by them when I visited the boutique in London.

Grand Master
    Like most here I don’t need any more watches so I’ll just stick with the nice ones I already have, although I do have an interest in a couple of Grand Seikos and I was very well looked after by them when I visited the boutique in London.
    If you really want a Rolex Sub I suggest you keep your eye on the prize and keep chasing, don't be put off by the negative experience with the AD you dealt with. Whilst I accept that you're looking to enoy the buying experience, I don`t blame you for that, at the end of the day it's all about the watch.

Personally I`d buy the best used 5 digit Sub I could find, far nicer than the later versions in my opinion, but if your heart is set on the current model you should keep looking for one. Try another AD, try grey dealers, the market is moving in your favour and you may find you've got options in a few months time. Or maybe buy a nice Datejust instead?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Surprised people are championing crap service!
    I’m with these gentlemen and the OP. Simple transaction at the checkout counter has nothing to do with the scenario of walking in a store looking for service. If you like disinterested monosyllable answers to your questions that’s fine by me. I know I prefer friendly and helpful service.

If you want Asda analogies imagine going in wanting help buying ingredients for a cake suitable for a guest with milk allergy. Employee stares at you blankly and says all they have is in the dairy section. The one at Lidl takes you to the approriate shelf, asks about the condition of your guest and locates several suitable products for you and explains the differences in a generally friendly and helpful way. Either store doesn’t offer coffees or headpatting at the checkout counter. Which one are you happy with?

Master
    I’d have thought he’d have wanted to have a chat if there was no one else in the shop. Must be boring as sin sitting waiting around all day.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

But you're not buying it, and you weren't buying it yesterday at 9.50am either.
    You went into a watch shop, knowing there was nothing for you to buy, to check that you were still on a "list" to buy something that wasn't available.

I know it's frustrating as a customer, but how frustrating do you think it is to have multiple visits per day from people exactly like you - who aren't in to buy anything bar the unobtainable.

I feel sorry for the salespeople.
    While some are absolutely delighted to chat watches and have a working knowledge - a lot of them in AD's haven't got a clue and dont give a rats about our trinkets. It's a job, and it must be a really boring one when the only thing that people are really hot about buying is the thing they cant walk out of store with.
    Yes, I'm sure we can say "well they should make an effort!" and yes, in an ideal world i'm sure they should but high street jewellers tend to be low wage, low incentive, and the daily grind is the same whether they're selling watches diamonds cars windows or milk.

I expect when you've seen the Rolex list routine ten times a day or more you learn the pavlovian response that there is little point in offering other watches when your visitors "drop by" to see if they've moved up the list for a Sub/GMT/Daytona.
    They're not interested in seeing Tags - you weren't interested in seeing Tags either but felt that you should have been offered some alternatives because you want to be fluffed and have an experience, while at the same time not spending any money - because the watch you want isn't there, and once it is there, it requires absolutely no effort to sell because that work has already been done by the brand and the hype.

TBH I think it's probably better if Rolex end up going boutique only as it would put a divide between the just dropping in about my Rolex non customers and people who are interested in other brands and might buy when they visit.

Alternatively - market prices are dropping, Subs are plentiful on the grey market and TZ, so if the AD experience has been less than attentive go grey or go SC - most of which are manned by people who actually love watches and are happy to shoot the breeze about them.

Ill add my own name to "irritated in goldsmiths the other week" - was dropping of a repair and it took two sales people to log it in, one says "umm what sort of movement is it?" the other one shrugs, I say "automatic" and the salesman gave me a really patronising laugh and said "well theyre all automatic" at which point the other one says "yes but is it manual automatic or quartz automatic"
    I decided not to assist further.
    These are the people who are expected to chat watches with customers

Master
    The longer that (enjoyable) post went on, verv, the more you seemed to be agreeing with the OP ...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    The longer that (enjoyable) post went on, verv, the more you seemed to be agreeing with the OP ...
    I absolutely agree with "don't like the service don't use the shop" but at the same time think that it's all a bit precious.

How, is the OP a watchmaker?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    How, is the OP a watchmaker?
    Yeah to me also that is the only way V's example 'works'...

Master
    I'm sure it won't make a blind bit of difference all the time there is a long queue of people standing behind me willing to buy ...

My issue is not with the lack of availability it is with the poor service experienced.

For me being treated so poorly just puts a sour taste over the whole experience and so I no longer want the watch even if they offered me one now at a discount ... a watch for me is a significant purchase usually associated with some sort of personal milestone and becomes attached to that ... if the process of buying is so negative then the whole ownership experience is tainted so I'll pass on it.

I have pinged the CEO an email expressing my dissatisfaction over the poor service ... we will see if I get any response.
    Was this WoS Group ?

Blog Entries

It's a shame you had a negative experience with them. I had to call in to the last week to collect a watch I sent in for repair and the staff were great as usual. I'm not a huge spender with them, but have bought a few watches from them inc Sub, GMT and EXP2. I think it can depend a lot on the AD and the staff there. The AD I use have always been helpful and seem to do their best with the stock they do get. And they seem to appreciate people who don't flip each watch they get.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.