closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Verticals, grails or impulse?

Verticals, grails or impulse?

Having fallen back into WISness after a long hiatus, I have been buying watches. Not really with any particular focus, just things that caught my eye or looked like value. Some new, mostly used, occasionally at auction. I'm back up to 14 watches and still checking WC, C24, Sales Corner, WF etc regularly. However, I think I may now have an actual plan.

By accident, I've ended up with a three watch vertical in IWC - the Aquatimer Cousteau, the Pilot Spitfire Chrono and a Portugieser perpetual calendar. This has sparked the idea of aiming for verticals - dive watch, pilot/sports chrono, dress watch - in other brands. I'm thinking:

GO SeaQ, Seventies Chrono and Senator Cosmopolite - I have the last of these already
    JLC Polaris Mariner Memovox, Master Geographic and Ultra-thin PC (I do already have a Reverso, but manual wind doesn't count)
    Patek Nautilus (probably the AC Moonphase), Pilot Travel Time and 5296G-001 WG sector dial Calatrava (not super-complicated but has always been my favourite)

If I'm going to be purist about it, then most of the extraneous watches* should probably go, but that will help fund the project. Including the Pateks in there does rather bulge the budget compared to the other brands.

This approach has the advantage of focusing my search and stopping me from acquiring random things (most recently a lovely Zenith CP2 from SC that I really didn't need) but it also risks being restrictive and formulaic. None of my current list is hard to find (the Mariner Memovox being the only one not currently available from a UK seller) so it also becomes largely an exercise in allocating funds and looking for well-priced examples, rather than hunting high and low or following my nose down rabbit holes (like the Horage on WC last week that I managed to restrain myself from bidding on and then regretted).

The point of this of course being that I will end up with a large-ish number of nice-ish watches that collectively add up to enough money to have bought something truly special. Should I stop buying volume, thin the herd much more aggressively and try for just a daily and a grail?

* PAM132, Heuer Monza, Zenith CP2, 216570, Xeric Triptych, Emergency, Capeland. I also have a Reverso Duo, a Carrera original re-edition (how is that a thing?) and an Oysterdate, but these are sentimental and are staying. Or do I just keep 'em all and buy more slowly?

I'm mostly sharing this because who the hell else am I going to tell (certainly not my long-suffering wife!) but also to see if anyone else thinks this way.

I have the Spitfire Chrono and the GST Aquatimer 2000m in Ti.
    Do I now need a Portugueser???

I’d never thought of it at all before.. but now I seem so close that it would be mad not to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Also I think a grail watch is a hiding to nothing.
    As soon as you get it, it looses its status and becomes just another watch you own.

Blog Entries
    With those parameters I don’t think you would be satisfied with one grail only watch. If I had a grail it would be one I could wear 24x7 not one tucked away for special occasions.

I am intrigued by your Patek Philippe vertical collection. I’d probably go for a simple and timeless two handed Calatrava for the dress watch not three hander, though the sector dial is rather special.

You could end up with a LOT of watches with those criteria. I would concentrate on the higher end marcs include Patek, VC, AP - that should soak up your budget!
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 27th December 2023 at 20:53.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    I have the Spitfire Chrono and the GST Aquatimer 2000m in Ti.
    Do I now need a Portugueser???

I’d never thought of it at all before.. but now I seem so close that it would be mad not to!

You do. And I'd go for the 500715 automatic (the Panda). That was one of several things I've recently not bought while mulling this attempt to impose order on whimsy.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    With those parameters I don’t think you would be satisfied with one grail only watch. If I had a grail it would be one I could wear 24x7 not one tucked away for special occasions.

I am intrigued by your Patek Philippe vertical collection. I’d probably go for a simple and timeless two handed Calatrava for the dress watch not three hander, though the sector dial is rather special.

You could end up with a LOT of watches with those criteria. I would concentrate on the higher end marcs include Patek, VC, AP - that should soak up your budget!
    I'm not sure ending up with a lot of watches is intrinsically a bad thing...

I'm pretty fixed on the PPs, apart from the Nautilus, which could be an Aquanaut; the complication is to compensate for wanting the three-hand Calatrava. (Whisper it, but I don't like the clous de Paris). It would be the most expensive watch in the list, and there's a lot of other things one could get for one's £65k or so. The rest are all under £30k; in fact many are under £10k.
    I'm not seeing it in AP - I'm neutral on the Royal Oak and really dislike the Offshore, so it would need to be Jules Audemars: 26100BC.OO.D002CR.01 chrono, 26090PT.OO.D028CR.01 travel time, and 26003BC.OO.D002CR.01 PC equation of time. VC is definitely a danger: Overseas Dual Time (the older one with a proper second time zone subdial), Historiques Cornes de Vaches or American (just for variety), Patrimony 31-Day Retrograde. The other candidate is Lange - I have a real hankering for a Lange 1, so you go Lange 1 Timezone 116.025, 1815 Chronograph/Odysseus and Zeitwerk/Langematik PC/302.025 Anniversary - the rule of course being that you may only choose three.

I like ze Chermans, as you can see. It's GO that has really got me thinking this way. I'm almost certainly going to pick up the SeaQ and Seventies Chrono in the next few days unless I get the answer I'm hoping for on a PTT, which will result in the PP train leaving the station and a distinct slowing down in the rate of acquisition due to ticket size.

The Cosmopolite deserves a thread of it's own. Spectacular watch, which I've not seen featured on TZ before.