closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Back tracking on electric cars and consequences for the car industry

Hybrid View

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    God, you're so right! And that recycling stuff - so lame, everyone knows (at least a bloke I met in the pub) that it all goes to landfill anyway after you've bothered sorting it into boxes.

Let's just carry on doing what we're doing. All that global warming is MSM rubbish, and even if it's true, who want to leave a planet for our grandchildren?

If it's hard, I say we should just ignore the problem or make up statistics to prove that the best thing is to keep consuming at all costs.
    Who said anything is wrong with recycling??

Who said climate change wasn’t happening??

EVs aren’t a sustainable option. We haven’t got the means to generate enough electricity as it is, without millions of EVs adding to the load. They aren’t affordable and secondhand values have plummeted because anyone who buys one is probably going to need a new battery after 5/7 years.
    IMO hybrid is the way to go and within the next 10 years that’s what I’ll buy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post

EVs aren’t a sustainable option. We haven’t got the means to generate enough electricity as it is, without millions of EVs adding to the load. They aren’t affordable and secondhand values have plummeted because anyone who buys one is probably going to need a new battery after 5/7 years.
    Where’s my EV Discussion Bingo card?! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Where’s my EV Discussion Bingo card?! :-D
    Got to be getting close to the full house now!

Back tracking on electric cars and consequences for the car industry

The energy supply companies have never mentioned generating enough electricity to meet demand as being a problem. Presumably, they know best so I wouldn’t worry about that.

As for affordability, I think we covered that a page or so back.

And as for batteries, you appear to be way out, battery packs can outlive the rest of the car before going on to be used for other purposes. My 65,000 mile EV is over eight years old with about 95% of its original range; hardly in need of replacement.

But if you prefer to go hybrid then that’s your decision and a step in the right direction
    Last edited by Dave+63; 22nd September 2023 at 17:16.

Master

Where to begin?

I know, why not come and drive my really boring Nissan Leaf? The one that has 93% of its battery life, at nearly 7 years old. Oh, and which you could now buy on the secondhand market for around £6k.

Apart from that, 100% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Where to begin?

I know, why not come and drive my really boring Nissan Leaf? The one that has 93% of its battery life, at nearly 7 years old. Oh, and which you could now buy on the secondhand market for around £6k.

Apart from that, 100% correct.
    DONT FEED THE TROLL

Master
    I don't think that there has been any "back-tracking" - electric vehicle sales will still be significant and nothing that the PM has done with stop this.

The economic situation has changed and there is nothing wrong with making changes to ANY policy if circumstances suggest that this is needed.

Another "storm in a tea cup" seated for political confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I don't think that there has been any "back-tracking" - electric vehicle sales will still be significant and nothing that the PM has done with stop this.

The economic situation has changed and there is nothing wrong with making changes to ANY policy if circumstances suggest that this is needed.

Another "storm in a tea cup" seated for political confusion.
    Hasn't there been a five year 'back track'?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Hasn't there been a five year 'back track'?

On the banning of sales of new 100% ICE passenger cars yes, but not a delay on the sale of new EVs.

This is the reason manufacturers will need to press on, if they want to sell in Europe (Incl the UK) anyway.

Firms still forced to sell more electric cars despite petrol ban delay https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66875554

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    On the banning of sales of new 100% ICE passenger cars yes, but not a delay on the sale of new EVs.

This is the reason manufacturers will need to press on, if they want to sell in Europe (Incl the UK) anyway.

Firms still forced to sell more electric cars despite petrol ban delay https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66875554
    Thanks for the clarification. I think the downside? is that private individuals can delay their potential switch. We have a hybrid Lexus and this suits us fine at the moment and I can't see that changing in the foreseeable future (for right or wrong).