closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How a 9K watch of mine vanished.

Hybrid View

Master

How a 9K watch of mine vanished.

On the 9th July a chap had arranged collection of a cd player I’d sold him by DPD. Same day a watch was to be collected also but by DHL.
    The DPD driver scanned both parcels and took them away.It wasn’t until the afternoon that a DHL chap arrived and I realised that DPD had taken it.
    DPD didn’t want to discuss it with me as I wasn’t the “account holder”.
    I asked the account holder ( the chap who arranged the cd collection to contact DPD who admitted they had the package containing the watch (the driver had photo’s both packages in my doorway) but couldn’t locate it as it was a DHL barcode. Other than an acknowledgment to the account holder that they were looking for it - they had a clear photo of the package with the DHL label - I’ve heard nowt.
    This other chap is stuck in the middle of a dispute between DPD and myself.
    Anyone an idea of how long it takes until they agree it’s lost? Or should I start taking up the legal advice on my house insurance pdq. I’m sure getting the compensation will be like getting blood from a stone.
    However they scanned and accepted a parcel without authorisation.
    I’m not too happy…..

Master
    If they can’t scan it because it’s not their bar code how were they able to accept it into their process?

Sorry to hear of the situation.

Much sympathy; we have all been there etc; but who handed a parcel destined for DHL to a DPD operative?

Master
    Sorry to hear of that situation. Good luck with resolving it too.

Easy mistake to make I guess, but would have thought they should have spotted it wasn't their label when they scanned it.

This does not make sense, one does not simply hand a £9000 parcel to the wrong company. Company scans a parcel that is not theirs and then loses it. This sounds really dodgy to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Much sympathy; we have all been there etc; but who handed a parcel destined for DHL to a DPD operative?
    Muggins ie me. However the scanner should have rejected it as they did in the warehouse.

Master
    I would have thought the DPD driver would have been sent to collect 1 and no 2 parcels -

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Muggins ie me. However the scanner should have rejected it as they did in the warehouse.
    Yeah, that's where the much sympathy kicks in. I dare say we have all done something that was the result of a moment's thoughtlessness that we lived to regret.
    Still this one should hopefully be resolveable. It should come down to an interrogation of the operative (and his scanner) who wrongly accepted it, and the failure of the scanning system to identify that it was not for them to collect.

Driver scans it, realises it's not for him but the customer doesn't see that status so decides it can easily be "lost in the system", and walzes off with it to try his luck?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Driver scans it, realises it's not for him but the customer doesn't see that status so decides it can easily be "lost in the system", and walzes off with it to try his luck?
    I do hope you’re wrong but you may have just hit the nail on the head

Would the package have some sort of declaration as to contents or value easily seen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Tbh, that’s the only scenario that makes any sense. However, it seems to have been declared in some way by the driver given that DPD have acknowledged it’s existence. It’s a real puzzle.

Sorry to hear of the loss.

I would visit your local office, speak to someone who may be able to help locate it and mention there is a decent reward if they do.

The couriers all have different bar codes and as far as I know don’t work across systems. My guess would be that the driver scanned the DPD parcel, that registered, scanned the second without looking, didn’t check to see if it registered and took both thinking they were both for DPD. It will have got as far as your local depot and will now be sat there as it can’t go through the system with an incorrect bar code. Ordinarily I would say take a trip to your local depot and collect it from them with proof of ID including the destination address. However I have a feeling that DPD, until recently at least, don’t allow public access to their sites where as DHL do.
    P.s. don’t rely on any courier customer service phone line conversations, the vast majority are rubbish - personal experience.

I was supposed to receive a laptop from work via DHL the other month.. instead 2 sets of breast implants arrived.. still no sign of the laptop and no one wants these implants back..

Best of luck with recovering the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by rapid View Post
    I was supposed to receive a laptop from work via DHL the other month.. instead 2 sets of breast implants arrived.. still no sign of the laptop and no one wants these implants back..
    PM sent 🤣

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    PM sent 🤣
    Biggest lol of the day.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Was the Watch insured with DHL .for the full 9k or with a third party ie Securus, if so I cannot see you getting anywhere with a claim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Was the Watch insured with DHL .for the full 9k or with a third party ie Securus, if so I cannot see you getting anywhere with a claim.
    The watch was fully insured with DHL. DPD took it unauthorised.

Master
    DPD took it unauthorised.
    To be fair you gave it to them

The watch was fully insured with DHL.
    Since the watch was gone before DHL arrived, I think that's not going to be much good to you.

The watch was fully insured with DHL. DPD took it unauthorised.
    Didn’t realise they would insure such a watch.

Master
    Sorry to sound naive as I don’t think I’ve ever had a DHL parcel collected, but are the couriers not in DHL uniforms? Usually DPD couriers wear their own uniforms and have DPD vans. Only international courier I’ve used before is UPS and I know they always have couriers with their uniform on.

Good luck OP

Master
    Two issues seem pertinent -

1) How to maximise the chance that DPD will locate the item at their depot when it's not been scanned and tracked in their system. Possibly letting the depot manager know that there a £500 reward for the finder?

2) Which insurer, if any, carries the liability for the loss. On the face of things, the OPs household insurer would be on the hook, but they may claim the OP was negligent in not taking ‘reasonable care’ of the watch.
    Last edited by J J Carter; 22nd July 2023 at 18:35.

What watch is it out of interest?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    What watch is it out of interest?
    JLC Polaris Boutique Edition. March 23.
    Last edited by Slamdoor; 22nd July 2023 at 20:47.

Jesus! I'd be crying if I realised I handed over a £20 and only received change for a fiver after a night out.

Good luck OP but the courier network blackhole is a powerful force.

JLC Polaris Boutique Edition. March 23.
    I love that watch. Sorry to hear about your troubles OP and hope it gets resolved.

Superb news, I think you were very lucky to get it back and big praise for the guy on here who helped you out.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Two issues seem pertinent -

1) Possibly letting the depot manager know that there a £500 reward for the finder?
    that's the last thing I would do. Immediately lets the depot know that the item is valuable and usually more likely to go missing.

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Sorry to sound naive as I don’t think I’ve ever had a DHL parcel collected, but are the couriers not in DHL uniforms?
    Bizarrely, no. It's often the case, in my area at least, that drivers are subcontracted through a third party. We've had DHL collections at work by people in casual clothing and in rusty hire vans. Usually we have a regular driver but when theirs stand ins, it can be unsettling. Without fail we check the tracking on an evening to make sure that the parcels have been scanned in at the local depot. This applies across the board with every courier we use, not just DHL.

If dpd accept that they have it and their scanner wouldnt accept it then surely a quick call to the police telling them they are refusing to return your property. Good luck with it .

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    If dpd accept that they have it and their scanner wouldnt accept it then surely a quick call to the police telling them they are refusing to return your property. Good luck with it .
    999: "And did they take it from you by force or steal it when you weren't looking?"

OP: "No I gave it to them by accident. Whoopsie."

999: *hangs up*

A letter to a director at DPD? This requires somebody with common sense to look at it. Failing that, a lawyer is in order.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman
    Sorry to hear this OP.

Like many others have said, I would go to the depo, if that is where the picked up parcels go for onward distribution.

I appreciate they might not have a customer service point, but I would try and find someone to help. I would imagine where it’s not been recognised by the system, it’s sitting in a pile of similar parcels waiting for a manager to decide what to do with them.

There will always be a chance that someone has recognised the parcel should not have been picked up and taken it for a walk, but I doubt it will be the driver as he knows there is digital proof he picked it up.

I’ve personally found contacting DPD a nightmare but good luck and I hope it turns up.

Master
    Many thanks for all the encouragement folks. I haven’t given up so watch this space!

Master
    Blog Entries
    (the driver had photo’s both packages in my doorway)

I dont get why you dont use this, surely this proves it to the manager that they have your watch.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    (the driver had photo’s both packages in my doorway)

I dont get why you dont use this, surely this proves it to the manager that they have your watch.
    Though if they then lose it they won't be liable for the 9k.

Master
    A shot of the parcels in your door do not prove that the driver left with them, he could have taken the pic before scanning, and then rejecting the incorrect parcel, when I worked auto parts we used various couriers dependent on destination or supplier, drivers could could tell if parcels were for them by the label style although we used a lot of company supplied labels. Why he would uplift two packages when his instructions would be for one, I couldn’t get drivers to take extra packages if not on their list, Hollywood style “if it’s not on the list, it’s not getting in” , this could be a long tale before being resolved.
    A visit to the depot should be high on the list, one local courier could/would not guarantee early delivery of parts so we just went daily to the depot to collect, always someone there to supervise.

Master
    Great news, happy endings do happen. Which, by coincidence, is something you should arrange for the member who helped you........

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Great news, happy endings do happen. Which, by coincidence, is something you should arrange for the member who helped you........

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk
    Absolutely and being sorted.

That’s fantastic news I’ve been following this thread with dread on your behalf, this must feel like a lottery win! Thank goodness for the TZ member.

Journeyman
    Amazing! So happy that you were able to get this back. and really nice to know that a fellow member helped you sort this all out.

Great news you've got it back. Massive pat on the back and (hopefully) a nice bottle of something to the forum member who helped.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

That's great news!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Awesome. What a relief and fair play to TZUK!!

Absolutely delighted for you. It must be such a relief. Kudos to your forum angel too

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Phew. I'm relieved for you! This tale gave me anxiety by proxy.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Silly question, but sometimes they're the ones to ask:

Did the package have your FULL name and address on the outside as a sender? To me, that's the backstop, that's the safeguard against something going into a black hole, but it never ceases to amaze me how folks post things out and fail to include this, I receive stuff all the time that hasn`t got a full senders details on the outside.

Glad you got it back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Silly question, but sometimes they're the ones to ask:

Did the package have your FULL name and address on the outside as a sender? To me, that's the backstop, that's the safeguard against something going into a black hole, but it never ceases to amaze me how folks post things out and fail to include this, I receive stuff all the time that hasn`t got a full senders details on the outside.

Glad you got it back.
    Yes it did as part of the DHL label on the parcel.
    However, in their infinite wisdom they removed the packaging and cut open the outer box despite it having a drop-down side and taped it up. Go figure and no doubt will affect the resale value but hey - I’m happy.
    Last edited by Slamdoor; 27th July 2023 at 18:40. Reason: Add info.

Master
    That’s good news - hopefully the collection drivers ears will stop burning soon !