closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Explorer I alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    No criticism meant - but that’s precisely why companies spend so much on Marketing and branding. It’s virtually the same but brand x is better than brand y because we say so.
    Why do you mean, it’s virtually the same? Are you suggesting that in terms of quality because, if you are, you’ve just lost all credibility IMO.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 23rd February 2023 at 20:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I bought my first Rolex in January 2014. I walked into the shop and came out with a 39mm Explorer1 for £3,950.00 after I haggled £450.00 off the price as you could back in those days.

I dare say I could easily sell it for £5000.00 today quite easily if I so wished. So in effect I have been paid £1000.00 to wear a Rolex. You won't get that with an Everest.

Rolex is not expensive, in fact it is a give away.
    You are again Mick! Do show receipt then.

Explorer I alternatives?

I bought my first Rolex in January 2014. I walked into the shop and came out with a 39mm Explorer1 for £3,950.00 after I haggled £450.00 off the price as you could back in those days.

I dare say I could easily sell it for £5000.00 today quite easily if I so wished. So in effect I have been paid £1000.00 to wear a Rolex. You won't get that with an Everest.

It’s expensive if you get mugged for it!
    I bought a 5513 in 1988 for £750 that turned out to be NOS and sold it to David Duggan in about 1993 for £5000. It was the deposit on my first flat. Wouldn’t wear £5k on my wrist then and wouldn’t now!
    Last edited by RobDad; 23rd February 2023 at 20:37.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    You are again Mick! Do show receipt then.
    Ok you snide little man, how about a bet.

I will drive to your house with the Explorer plus all the paper work including the receipt.

You can then brag that I am a bloody liar inventing things online. Alternatively when you view the goodies you will publicly apologise for your miserable action of calling me a liar.

Also as you think I am a liar, we can have a bet. If I do not produce the goodies, I will place £1000 in the fundraiser. If, however, I do produce the goodies, you place £1000.00 into the fundraiser.

So are you prepared to take the bet. I can drive anywhere in the UK, so no excuses.

I am deadly serious on this and am prepared to raise the stake.
    Last edited by Mick P; 23rd February 2023 at 20:42.

Plenty of good watches mentioned here, but it comes down to whether you really want a Rolex Explorer (where the emphasis is on either word).

The Everest is a good watch, the Sinns and Omegas (and others) likewise, but if you're really wanting one particular watch (whether it be a Rolex Explorer, Smiths Everest or a Casio G-Shock of some ilk) you're probably going to end up, if not disappointed with your optional choice, at least still yearning for the watch you really wanted.

It happened to me (luckily on a more modest scale), with a Longines and a Seiko - The Seiko was a nice watch, but it only scratched the itch for a couple of weeks!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Ok you snide little man, how about a bet.

I will drive to your house with the Explorer plus all the paper work including the receipt.

You can then brag that I am a bloody liar inventing things online. Alternatively when you view the goodies you will publicly apologise for your miserable action of calling me a liar.

Also as you think I am a liar, we can have a bet. If I do not produce the goodies, I will place £1000 in the fundraiser. If, however, I do produce the goodies, you place £1000.00 into the fundraiser.

So are you prepared to take the bet. I can drive anywhere in the UK, so no excuses.

I am deadly serious on this and am prepared to raise the stake.
    I will sincerely apologies yes. Absolutely! Just upload a quick photo on here. Why do you need to bet on it?

Master
    I will sincerely apologies yes. Absolutely! Just upload a quick photo on here. Why do you need to bet on it?

The bet is to force your hand, you publicly called me a liar which is despicable.

I am not going to put my name and address on a forum, nobody would.

You know bloody well the accusation was false, so either go through with the bet or do the decent thing and apologise.

The bet is to force your hand, you publicly called me a liar which is despicable.

You know bloody well the accusation was false, so either go through with the bet or do the decent thing and apologise.
    You of all people are in no position to ask for an apology from anybody.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Crop it out. Google for tutorial if not sure how.

Master
    Crop it out. Google for tutorial if not sure how.
    I am not backing down on this, you have made a false accusation and are trying to wriggle out of it, either accept the bet or retract the statement and we can both delete these postings.

The ball is in your court.

I am not backing down on this, you have made a false accusation and are trying to wriggle out of it, either accept the bet or retract the statement and we can both delete these postings.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I like the RailMaster but the name just says Train Spotter to me and ruins it.
    That’s a fair point, it’s not the best name but the main advertising pitch of the Explorer was the climbing of Everest Which is an out and out lie.
    At least the Railmaster was called so for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    That’s a fair point, it’s not the best name but the main advertising pitch of the Explorer was the climbing of Everest Which is an out and out lie.
    At least the Railmaster was called so for a reason.
    Absolutely. And today, you can set your watch on Swiss trains like you could when Omega created the Railmaster in 1957. While the magnetic resistance has become mostly irrelevant, I understand some people in this country fail to see the relevance of the link between timekeeping and railways.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

But now you are perceived as old and frail you don't dare wear it to the Sunday market any longer, man what a gift...

Man that 's gotta sting...good luck, gods bless.
    Last edited by Passenger; 23rd February 2023 at 22:03.

The bet is to force your hand, you publicly called me a liar which is despicable..
    Wishing a person you don’t know, but are happy having a meaningless argument with on a watch forum was dead is not despicable?
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 23rd February 2023 at 22:04.

Master
    Wishing a person you don’t know, but are happy having a meaningless argument with on a watch forum was dead is not despicable?
    You could argue two wrongs don't make a right.

All Toshk has to do is withdraw his comment and that is the end of it.

As regards to the death thing, I just cannot remember saying that to Saint-Just but I take his word that I did say it and obviously it was wrong, however there is a massive difference in saying something like "I hope you die a slow and agonising death" which I would never say and to use the old expression "drop dead", so without seeing the comment, I just cannot comment.

However Toshk as virtually already admitted his accusation was false so he knew it was wrong but has chosen not to admit his error in full.

You could argue two wrongs don't make a right.

All Toshk has to do is withdraw his comment and that is the end of it.

As regards to the death thing, I just cannot remember saying that to Saint-Just but I take his word that I did say it and obviously it was wrong, however there is a massive difference in saying something like "I hope you die a slow and agonising death" which I would never say and to use the old expression "drop dead", so without seeing the comment, I just cannot comment.

However Toshk as virtually already admitted his accusation was false so he knew it was wrong but has chosen not to admit his error in full.
    Have you ever offered an apology to the several members you have wished similar? It’s not just one.
    With regard never seeing the comment, they have been shown numerous times in the bear pit so how can you say you have never seen the quotes? It’s usually quoted directly at you to highlight your nastiness. Yet more selective memory?
    You say it was wrong but to my knowledge you have never apologised to the several members you have said similar to. Yet you want Toshk to offer an apology for calling you a liar? Double standards?
    My point being, to sit on your high horse because someone called you a liar is comical, you need to take a look closer to home. Maybe think before tapping out a reply.

Master
    Have you ever offered an apology to the several members you have wished similar? It’s not just one.
    With regard never seeing the comment, they have been shown numerous times in the bear pit so how can you say you have never seen the quotes? It’s usually quoted directly at you to highlight your nastiness. Yet more selective memory?
    You say it was wrong but to my knowledge you have never apologised to the several members you have said similar to. Yet you want Toshk to offer an apology for calling you a liar? Double standards?
    My point being, to sit on your high horse because someone called you a liar is comical, you need to take a look closer to home. Maybe think before tapping out a reply.
    I have never wished death on anyone other than RustyB in 2018 and possibly Saint-Just at a later date.

Please show me any other quotes.

I have never wished death on anyone other than RustyB in 2018 and possibly Saint-Just at a later date.

And me.

Wriggle all you want, but you seem to think that it's ok because it's only a few people.

It's not, ever, to any person.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 23rd February 2023 at 22:48.

So by your own admission it’s not 1 as stated, it’s 2. Selective memory again? Oh and Chris in the Uk. That’s 3.
    Mick for the love of god take a step back and think before you post.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 23rd February 2023 at 23:00.

I wish I could say that the thread derailment was unexpected….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    So by your own admission it’s not 1 as stated, it’s 2. Selective memory again? Oh and Chris in the Uk. That’s 3.
    Mick for the love of god take a step back and think before you post.
    I made a typo and quoted SJ when I should not have.

It was RustyB and Chris - just 2.

You lot honestly need to get out more. WGAFF. Keep your personal vendettas and handbags at dawn to the BP.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I wish I could say that the thread derailment was unexpected….

Maybe more talk on the Railmaster can get us back on track.. (see what I did there) ;)

So, to summarise:

1. If you want an Explorer, save up and get an Explorer.

2. Mick P is a massive fecking bellend.

Anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    So, to summarise:

1. If you want an Explorer, save up and get an Explorer.

2. Mick P is a massive fecking bellend.

Anything else?
    Yes, he's also a charmless gobshite.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Poor old Mick, he overpaid.

September 2014 and my price included an extra link.

I'm sure he's telling the truth but the reaction is just unreal and typically unpleasant.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That’s not a bad shout, actually. They’re an alternative that might prove to be liveable with in the long term.
    Indeed as direct homages are just not quite the same…

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I believe him. Close to a decade ago you could get a bit of wiggle room on prices, and sports pieces were available and in the windows.

And more to the point, as per the explorer on SC going at 5750, his maths isn't wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    September 2014 and my price included an extra link.
    If only you'd waited 9 months, you could have saved £400. But, then, if I could predict FX movements, I wouldn't be spending any time on here!

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    If only you'd waited 9 months, you could have saved £400. But, then, if I could predict FX movements, I wouldn't be spending any time on here!
    Timing is all. :)

Master

Are you simply on here to troll? I don't think I've ever seen a post from you that has any intention other than to start an argument or make accusations.

Do you do that away from the internet with everyone you meet, or is it simply that you're a big, tough keyboard warrior?

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Personally, I believe him. Close to a decade ago you could get a bit of wiggle room on prices, and sports pieces were available and in the windows.

And more to the point, as per the explorer on SC going at 5750, his maths isn't wrong.
    Stupidly cheap, that one.

The quality of this is insane. Every bit as good as the Everest in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    The quality of this is insane. Every bit as good as the Everest in my opinion.

Shame about that terrible badge.

It’s fine when you’re wearing it. Better than being sterile.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Shame about that terrible badge.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    I currently own an Exp1 36mm and have owned every variant of 556.
    IMHO you would be best off either saving up and waiting for the watch you really want or spend a lot less and get a smiths PRS 25 36mm.
    Agree with this. I had an explorer 1 which I owned for about 10 years. Like you I decided the Rolex prices were nuts. Actually I preferred the thinness and wearing experience of the CWC Mellor. So one to consider.

I can't believe the op just asked for alternatives too the Explorer 1 not for everyone to go flaunting there explorers in a show thread!!!

Oh by the way here's mine

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Master
    Inspired by this thread, I tried the new Explorer today. Despite having what’s quite likely the slimmest wrist on the forum™, I found it wears surprisingly small. Of course it originally was a 36mm watch, and I have no objection to that - I love my 36mm DJ and have happily worn a 1018 that ended up with a 1016 dial, along with various others. But due to the tapering bracelet and measuring slightly under 36mm, it was one of those rare occasions where I wished a watch was a touch larger. Not as large as the old 39, but somewhere in between. So the alternative for me turns out to be the 16570 Explorer II, which the market seems to think is worth much the same amount, though I can’t see why, that’s not a trade I’d make. Though if I did it would be for an older version with a wider bracelet and maximum lume width on the 3-6-9 numerals. Otherwise I might be looking for an Oyster Perpetual 39 in black, slightly oversized for me personally, but a discontinued classic in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Inspired by this thread, I tried the new Explorer today. Despite having what’s quite likely the slimmest wrist on the forum™, I found it wears surprisingly small. Of course it originally was a 36mm watch, and I have no objection to that - I love my 36mm DJ and have happily worn a 1018 that ended up with a 1016 dial, along with various others. But due to the tapering bracelet and measuring slightly under 36mm, it was one of those rare occasions where I wished a watch was a touch larger. Not as large as the old 39, but somewhere in between. So the alternative for me turns out to be the 16570 Explorer II, which the market seems to think is worth much the same amount, though I can’t see why, that’s not a trade I’d make. Though if I did it would be for an older version with a wider bracelet and maximum lume width on the 3-6-9 numerals. Otherwise I might be looking for an Oyster Perpetual 39 in black, slightly oversized for me personally, but a discontinued classic in the making.
    Yes, I can completely relate to this. I traded my 39mm for the new 36mm a while back, and was surprised that it wore smaller than expected. I also think it’s the tapered bracelet that gives this impression, but tbh once I’ve been wearing it for an hour or so it looks and feels absolutely fine, at least to me.

On balance I’m happy enough with the advantages of the current model, and I don’t imagine ever letting mine go now.

Traska are about to release some updated Summiteers...Explorer influenced and Commuters...OP influenced, as well as others in the line up... just thought I'd mention it, as affordable alternatives. The sterling silver dial variant of the Commuter looks pretty fly imho, they've reduced the case thickness to below 9 mm so it should wear really well and spiffed up the crystal to create a more acrylic warmth, tempting!

https://www.facebook.com/TraskaWatch/

i tried on the 39mm explorer side by side with 39mm OP at a dealer once (those were the days!), i found the OP wore larger because the bezel is more domed/pronounced. they're both great of course, but if you think 214270 is too big you'll likely feel the same about the OP.

i think there was a maxi case 36mm OP that wore large and have wondered if that might be the sweet spot for me.

Never really had watch regrets but the 39mm mk2 214270 sticks out as one I really should have kept.

Been keen to try replace it a few times but I sold mine to a friend for either 4k or 4.2k and can’t stomach the difference.

If the Armageddon is real I’ll go in for one and an OP41 Yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
    i tried on the 39mm explorer side by side with 39mm OP at a dealer once (those were the days!), i found the OP wore larger because the bezel is more domed/pronounced. they're both great of course, but if you think 214270 is too big you'll likely feel the same about the OP.

i think there was a maxi case 36mm OP that wore large and have wondered if that might be the sweet spot for me.
    I found it the other way myself. My mate has the 39mm Explorer MKII, I had the black dial OP39 and we compared a lot. I found my OP wore smaller on wrist, as the domed bezel made the dial visually smaller, whereas the flat bezel of the Explorer kind of added to its width. Ultimately I found that both of them were a shade or two oversized for the types of watches they are, I’d definitely go back in at 36mm if I ever wanted another.

Craftsman
    There is a version of the Omega Seamaster 120m that has a great Explorer vibe - reference 2511.53. Quite rare, but they do pop up every now and again, and have the added utility of being quartz and having a date, which some may find useful. They are usually south of a grand, so the price is decent for a nice "premium" Swiss brand alternative to Rolex. Thought it was worth adding as another option in the thread anyway :-)

The OEM bracelet is like that of the Goldeneye SMP300, but the Uncle Seiko US1171 bracelet (marketed for the Omega Speedmaster Reduced) also fits it perfectly if you want more of an "Explorer" style, albeit Presidential rather than Oyster.

Here is mine (on the aforementioned US1171) :

Craftsman
    Inspired by this thread, I tried the new Explorer today. Despite having what’s quite likely the slimmest wrist on the forum™, I found it wears surprisingly small. Of course it originally was a 36mm watch, and I have no objection to that - I love my 36mm DJ and have happily worn a 1018 that ended up with a 1016 dial, along with various others. But due to the tapering bracelet and measuring slightly under 36mm, it was one of those rare occasions where I wished a watch was a touch larger.
    For the first time ever, a complete stranger commented on my 36mm Explorer at the weekend. In a pub, a clearly inebriated chap on the table next door looked over and asked “why are you wearing a girls watch?!”
    Last edited by CaptainRockNRoll; 28th February 2023 at 00:18.

Really enjoyed this thread, having asked myself the same question. Also come up with much the same answer, which is the Explorer is so good at what it does that there really isn't an alternative. Tried PRS-25, and various others. Sold my Explorer long ago and wouldn't wear a Rolex now so I suspect that style of watch has gone for me.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

That seamaster 120m Is a nice looking watch. Not a model I've seen before.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    That seamaster 120m Is a nice looking watch. Not a model I've seen before.

The Seamaster 120m range had various dial options, and was produced from 1994 to 2003. It was then superseded by the Aqua Terra line.

I think this particular dial type might have been one for JDM only, but I'm not 100% on that. My reasoning is simply that most of the ones I've seen for sale on eBay over the last few years have been from Japanese sellers !

Quest update. Visited Covent Garden Tudor/Rolex shop and tried some watches for hands on research.

Tudor Ranger doesn’t work at all as the lume letters (sort of yellowish) take it away from Explorer territory. Nice watch though.

Surprised how the Black Bay 36mm wears a bit bigger than the 36mm Explorer I (tried both on) and frankly I like the Tudor better (!!!!). Going to sleep on it, but might have a winner.