closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What state of repair are the roads in your area ?

What state of repair are the roads in your area ?

Most of the time I keep within a radius of about 10 miles of Leicester and I find all the roads be they motorway A or B roads to be pretty good, there is the occasional pot hole but it seems to get sorted quick, in fact quite impressive.

My son in law came back from a few days up in Edinborough today site seeing with the family, loved the place but he said the condition of the roads was unreal BAD, he drives a day van and says it feels as though it has been shook to bits, never experienced roads as bad, he said the state of the roads really kept his speed down, worked better than speed bumps :)

Plenty of (potentially wheel wrecking) potholes near where I live.

If there's anywhere worse than Glasgow then I'd hate to see it.

I live a in rural farmer type area, the roads are so bad that they cant even be classed as roads and they are covered in farm muck and huge pot holes.

What state of repair are the roads in your area ?

Anything not the absolute main drag - A road and motorway (and even that sometimes) are in rag order everywhere, IMO.
    I live in Notts, but visit projects all over England and everywhere is noticeably worse than I recall at any other time.

The worst that springs to mind is around Weybridge and Brooklands racecourse. Seems every road I take in and out of there is just an assault on the suspension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    Quite a few roads in my area (lancs) look like the RAF have cluster bombed them.

Can't complain...sure some of the back roads have a few pot holes, to be expected really, we've a fair amount of agribusiness in this region. But all the main roads and highways are generally in terrific condition.

Local town roads my way aren't good at all, the two weeks or so of freezing weather we had a month or two back made a tangible difference.

I live on the South Bucks/Hillingdon border and the difference is incredible. Entering S.Bucks is like leaving the highway system, one collapsed drain is slowly being filled with parts of broken traffic cones, no actual attempt has been made to fix it.

I'm not saying Hillingdon is great...

Master
    The roads in my area are a disgrace and have been for many years.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As above crap.

We have had two months of chaos where Staffordshire County Council took two months to install 150 meters of Cycle lane which everyone even Cyclists say what a waste of money. That money would have been better spent on the potholes in a mile of the new Cycle lane.

Abysmal until I cross the border into Powys then they are like a billiard table.

I live in Essex, stupid question

Blog Entries
    Really bad in South Herts and surrounding areas - it's been bad for a while but the freezing weather in the last couple of months has really exacerbated it. Some real tyre shredding, suspension breaking potholes out there now - and no repairs in sight!

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Really bad in South Herts and surrounding areas - it's been bad for a while but the freezing weather in the last couple of months has really exacerbated it. Some real tyre shredding, suspension breaking potholes out there now - and no repairs in sight!
    This will not surprise you, I live on the Essex Herts border by the A1184, the road has literally disintegrated, Essex have repaired their half after being bombarded with complaints, Herts have done nothing

Master
    When I last went to Brighton they were bad, the worst damage which I see a lot and is very dangerous is where the side of roads that border grass verges start to disintegrate making the road narrower and leaving a 6inch deep drop from a nasty jagged edge I ripped the sidewall out of a tyre and nearly spun the car trying to get out of the way of a lorrry a couple of years ago when he back wheel dropped of the edge into one of these holes

Craftsman
    Check out these quality repairs...this road has been like this for years now

Potholes down here in Hastings and surrounding areas have cost me a wheel repair and two sets of front tyres. More recently, the cones around an area of road being repaired cost me a new front tyre and wheel repair when I was forced into driving over the edge of one because a numpty in an Audi Q3 pulled out in front of me. If I could I would drive my car into the sea and walk and cycle everywhere, the roads are so bad.

Master
    Dreadful in Surrey and a lot of London that I drive around.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I live a in rural farmer type area, the roads are so bad that they cant even be classed as roads and they are covered in farm muck and huge pot holes.
    I drove from Gloucester to Ledbury yesterday on A roads that were so full of pot holes (and what look like big uneven gauges out of the tarmac) that it was positively dangerous.

The road into my village developed a dozen massive potholes over winter. The council were quick to mark them and one day 2-3 weeks ago a yellow truck and 3 men spent the day filling them all in.

Less than a week later, most of them had opened up again and now they’re all just the same size as they were before they got repaired.

I have no idea wtf the repair guys did, but they all need a bloody good lesson in doing their job properly. What a ridiculous waste of money!

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Me too. Smashed to bits and covered in crap.

Master
    I don’t get the patch mentality, watched a program from Germany & they have huge machines that chew up add fresh & relay while always moving forward.

It’s not just the surface but the sub levels that are wrecked, so patching is just a waste.

Craftsman
    My poor car has taken an absolute battering thanks to the condition of the roads in my area. I’m pretty sure my suspension is on the way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    One word: Ruined.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    Quite a few roads in my area (lancs) look like the RAF have cluster bombed them.
    Can confirm lancs is atrocious from visiting the folks recently.

Also a lot of Norfolk and Suffolk roads resemble cart tracks. The M12 and A14 aren't much better

Master
    Absolute disgrace up in Liverpool.

The country is genuinely falling apart.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Most of the time I keep within a radius of about 10 miles of Leicester and I find all the roads be they motorway A or B roads to be pretty good, there is the occasional pot hole but it seems to get sorted quick, in fact quite impressive.

My son in law came back from a few days up in Edinborough today site seeing with the family, loved the place but he said the condition of the roads was unreal BAD, he drives a day van and says it feels as though it has been shook to bits, never experienced roads as bad, he said the state of the roads really kept his speed down, worked better than speed bumps :)
    Where are you based Tiger

Some nasty pot holes here in Colchester, such that you have to weave around them. I'm fully expecting to get pulled over for not driving erratically.

To be fair to the local council though, they have got a crew going round repainting the road markings, including in the pot holes.

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK
    Mostly good around The Woodlands Texas however the I45 has some brutal gaps opened up 4-5 inches wide I wouldn’t want to navigate on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Come east Sir! Edinburgh is chuffing awful.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by gshort67 View Post
    Where are you based Tiger

Just off the A50 between Groby and Markfield.

Overall, very poor. Huge wheel breaking potholes and disintegrating surfaces. Pretty much a metaphor for the country right now.

What has also become a major safety issue in my opinion is worn out and often practically invisible road markings. Often you genuinely can’t see them at junctions and roundabouts now - very dangerous.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    You'd need to have a death wish to be a cyclist. So many potholes within a few feet of the kerb.

Master
    Currently I have a BMW M123d, which is a cracking little car. I was going to change it for an M140i later this year, but I can no longer stomach the firm ride with the roads as they are (and let's face it, they're never going to improve).

Instead I'm going to go for a big X model with fat, squishy tyres and long suspension travel. I can see why off-roaders are so popular for on-road use these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Currently I have a BMW M123d, which is a cracking little car. I was going to change it for an M140i later this year, but I can no longer stomach the firm ride with the roads as they are (and let's face it, they're never going to improve).

Instead I'm going to go for a big X model with fat, squishy tyres and long suspension travel. I can see why off-roaders are so popular for on-road use these days.
    I feel your pain. I had a 3 Series Touring in M-Sport trim with the permanent m-sport suspension and low profile tyres. Hard doesn't even begin to describe the ride. It's a good job it was on a short term lease cos there is no way I could live with it long term even on reasonable roads. The last straw was going over a speed bump (slowly!!) on way out of Oxford services at 3 in the morning causing my fresh cup of coffee to jump out of the cup holder and in to my lap.

Had an X3 MSport after that and the ride was still firm but much less harsh. Audi s-line A4 Avant was even better ride wise. I can't afford nice cars right now but if I had another BMW it would have to have adaptive suspension.

Just off the A50 between Groby and Markfield.
    I work in Bardon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I feel your pain. I had a 3 Series Touring in M-Sport trim with the permanent m-sport suspension and low profile tyres. Hard doesn't even begin to describe the ride. It's a good job it was on a short term lease cos there is no way I could live with it long term even on reasonable roads. The last straw was going over a speed bump (slowly!!) on way out of Oxford services at 3 in the morning causing my fresh cup of coffee to jump out of the cup holder and in to my lap.

Had an X3 MSport after that and the ride was still firm but much less harsh. Audi s-line A4 Avant was even better ride wise. I can't afford nice cars right now but if I had another BMW it would have to have adaptive suspension.
    I've done everything I can with mine to get it as pliable a ride as is legally possible, but the last six months have been a case of scouring the road surface and driving around bumps, potholes, drain covers etc. It's exasperating as I do around 200 miles a day all on local roads.

I miss my Citröen. It was like a magic carpet.

Reported May 2022 (deleted) reported again October 2022 reply : we will carry out further investigation.

Looking for a new car currently and for the 1st time in my life one of my top considerations is suspension travel and deep sidewalls having destroyed an alloy in an unseen crater.

even the local celebs are getting fed up with it

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...t-car-25892031

Last edited by TKH; 25th February 2023 at 13:46.

Where’s that? Absolutely diabolical.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    In one image, this describes Britain...

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I've done everything I can with mine to get it as pliable a ride as is legally possible, but the last six months have been a case of scouring the road surface and driving around bumps, potholes, drain covers etc. It's exasperating as I do around 200 miles a day all on local roads.

I miss my Citröen. It was like a magic carpet.
    Yep I get that. Trying to miss the potholes is a pain but it's better than simply ploughing through them, even in my wallowey yawnsville 2010 Tiguan.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Was in Glasgow and did notice this on the short drive between the hotel and airport every day.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Where’s that? Absolutely diabolical.
    West Lancs near Burscough

just checked on progress they have changed reporting method - and apparently unless its over 40mm deep (road) or 25mm deep (pavement) its NFA ! even if concrete exposed.

now need to re-report through : "lovecleanstreets' but why bother eh !

Master

Can confirm Edinburgh is pretty horrendous. Actually try to drive with a huge gap to the vehicle in front, as it's the only way to see the holes and have enough time to avoid them before they swallow your wheel.

Edinburgh has never been great in that respect, I've had three punctures over the years due to a sudden hole swallowing a wheel, and the impact causing a flat. But this year really does seem exceptionally bad.

Craftsman
    Another good one near me well over 2 years now they had a go at a 'repair' lasted about 10 days.

Ah 'Heady Days' 2015 George has it sorted

West Kent/Surrey/Sussex border.

Most roads are utterly dreadful. Collecting friends from Gatwick is actually embarrassing, and to a man, they remake on the state of the roads.

Even the repairs are bad - lumpy and uneven and break up after a year or so.

Just generally a bit shoddy round here. Some are properly terrible, some are just not great. I don't think there's anything round me (I'm just outside Buckingham) which I'd say is actually in good repair. Everything is just a bit knackered.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Clearly, the county councils need to pay themselves more, so they can attract and retain the talent needed to manage this situation.