closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tech help analogue thermo to Google nest thermostats

Blog Entries

Tech help analogue thermo to Google nest thermostats

So living in a house that still has a back boiler with water storage cylinder etc I’m wondering if I have a old (should be in a museum lol) analogue thermostat control , can the analogue control be changed for a nest google thermostat controller and if so would I just be able to turn on and off the heating and water or would their be any other functions I would be able to use on the apps etc

Pic off the controls for heater etc I have at the moment

Try looking here :-

https://store.google.com/us/category/nest_thermostats?hl=en-US#thermostat_compatibility

https://support.google.com/googlenes...ith-two-labels

I replaced my Hive thermostat that was bloody horrid with a Honeywell T6R, I however only had live, neutral, earth, common and heating on to deal with as I just have a combi.
    Last edited by Nogbad The Bad; 22nd February 2023 at 17:16.

You can identify the wires fairly easily - live, neutral, earth and then thermostat live "call to heat" so goes live when the thermostat is triggerd, will be similar when the water cylinder thermostat is triggered. There will likely be 3 cables coming out of your controller. Power in, DHW and heating. The wires will go to the zone valve.

At the thermostat will be live, neutral, earth and live return which goes live when the thermostat calls for heat.

You could keep the current programmer for your water and use your new thermostat for the heating which is where the smart controls are useful.

This is what I did with my old system - used a Netatmo and my current set up using heatmiser programmable thermostats. The heatmiser stuff is really nice and easy to install and as a thermostat upgrade I would recommend those and only cost about 70 but to make them smart needs an additional ethernet connected hub which adds about 180 to the cost so I expect something like Nest is more suitable unless need lots of thermostats and then the cost works out better, although they don't make smart radiator valves so better suited to UFH systems.