closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Financial Times article

Craftsman

Financial Times article

Hi All,

This FT.com article on the watch market is pretty interesting, especially on Rolex values and China. I've linked below ->

https://on.ft.com/3HvWg5n

(Edited with updated link. Hopefully this one works better. )
    Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bonny Marco; 25th January 2023 at 19:05.

I’m sure it’s a good article but it’s just “choose your subscription” for me.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    You need a subscription...or a 12ft ladder.

Master
    Gist of the article is about resale prices on 49 brands. tRolex was the worst performer, with the average listing price down 15 per cent. Tudor, Rolex’s junior brand, is the second biggest loser with a fall of 11.5 per cent.

watch prices are falling faster than luxury spending in general.

partly China, where high-end pawn shops did brisk business last year as Covid lockdowns forced HNWIs to raise cash.

Some of the price distortion arose from crypto enthusiasts moving their wealth to other assets.

There’s also a bit of distortion stemming from Rolex’s launch in December of an official resale channel. (Rolex official certification is worth a 39 per cent premium, WatchCharts finds.)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Thanks Catch21. I've updated the link so you should be able to view it now.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Rolex official certification is worth a 39 per cent premium, WatchCharts finds.
    The market has yet to decide what it is worth, but I’ll bet it won’t be anything like that much.

As I tell a dealer or private individual every day, the ASKING prices of UNSOLD watches do not establish market value.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    The market has yet to decide what it is worth, but I’ll bet it won’t be anything like that much.

As I tell a dealer or private individual every day, the ASKING prices of UNSOLD watches do not establish market value.
    Tapatalk didn’t allow me to use a quote or italics, the quote is from the FT article, not my opinion. My opinion is it’s too soon to assess the premium and I doubt Id pay one.

Here’s the pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qdiqriwx8c...Times.pdf?dl=0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Yes blah blah all backward looking stuff, China has since reopened look at Hang Seng index YTD. Anyway, FT is always invariably wrong.

The sooner we get back to wearing and enjoying watches vs financial speculation the better, I blame Covid and nothing better to do.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Yes blah blah all backward looking stuff, China has since reopened look at Hang Seng index YTD. Anyway, FT is always invariably wrong.

The sooner we get back to wearing and enjoying watches vs financial speculation the better, I blame Covid and nothing better to do.
    Agree but this is linked to that statement. If people stop using watches as assets to make money, they will be more available and we can start to get back to enjoying what we can actually buy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking72 View Post
    Here’s the pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qdiqriwx8c...Times.pdf?dl=0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Viking

Master
    You can't blame anyone who bought a Rolex in the last few years as a bit of an investment but in return they can't expect any sympathy when prices dip.

If you have to squawk when an investment dips, you are a dipstick.

So used Rolex prices have dropped in the secondary market, while exports of expensive watches to China have actually increased, but overall figures are down.

I don’t think that’s going to affect the Rolex, Omega, Patek, AP etc market just that badly by the sounds of it.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

Thank you. This hits the nail on the head.

Any comment on the sub dial index? They have proprietary software apparently that can value watches.

Blog Entries
    How awful that Rolex AD’s may have to moderate their greedy arrogant restrictive practices and stop looking down their noses at prospective purchasers! My heart is brimful of sympathy for them, NOT!!!