closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Backgammon

Backgammon

I’ve been enjoying Backgammon with my daughters over the holidays.

Does anyone here play?

Would love to hear / see your boards, tables etc….

It`s a cruel game, fortunes won or lost on the throw of a dice..

Don`t ever play online, you`d think that it would be simple to generate a genuinely random dice throw generator. Apparently not.

I’ve rediscovered the delights of Backgammon over the holidays too. It used to be a weekly fixture at my man’s when I was young so I knew roughly how to play. I’ve come to discover that a little knowledge is not such a good thing when playing my partner, who took great delight keeping one of my checkers on the bar for turn after turn, whilst she got her pieces out.

^ yes, I think the chance elements from the dice work beautifully to make it quite an equalising sort of game. We’ve been really enjoying it at JG Towers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    It`s a cruel game, fortunes won or lost on the throw of a dice..

Don`t ever play online, you`d think that it would be simple to generate a genuinely random dice throw generator. Apparently not.
    Fair enough - to be honest, I enjoy the social side of these games primarily, I imagine online play could become a bit of a rabbit hole…

I play, but prefer cribbage

Sent from my XQ-CQ54 using Tapatalk

Master
    Used to play against other family members often many years ago. I did play against random humans online occasionally years ago, but got frustrated by people giving up halfway through a game. Perhaps there's an online human vs computer site somewhere .. ah yes there is https://www.247backgammon.org/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Used to play against other family members often many years ago. I did play against random humans online occasionally years ago, but got frustrated by people giving up halfway through a game. Perhaps there's an online human vs computer site somewhere .. ah yes there is https://www.247backgammon.org/
    This is actually quite a nice implementation although the computer wanted to double when it was getting hammered, for some reason.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    I’ve rediscovered the delights of Backgammon over the holidays too. It used to be a weekly fixture at my man’s when I was young so I knew roughly how to play. I’ve come to discover that a little knowledge is not such a good thing when playing my partner, who took great delight keeping one of my checkers on the bar for turn after turn, whilst she got her pieces out.
    That sounds like a result to me.

Love a game of Backgammon. My Mum taught me when I was quite young.

It’s very popular out in the apres ski bars in ski resorts. I taught my pals to play when we used to go skiing a lot.

Now we have an ottoman tray in the snug that’s also a huge backgammon board with counters that are 2” round.

It’s a great game!

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Love a game of Backgammon. My Mum taught me when I was quite young.

It’s very popular out in the apres ski bars in ski resorts. I taught my pals to play when we used to go skiing a lot.

Now we have an ottoman tray in the snug that’s also a huge backgammon board with counters that are 2” round.

It’s a great game!

Really nice setup there, might have to steal that idea for the ottoman in one of our rooms.

That site is a bit clunky and requires too many mouse clicks for my liking to make for a quick game - especially if you`re proponent of the `shock and awe` fast play strategy.

I occasionally play here but there`s the computer programme issues i`ve already alluded to and as already mentioned too many clowns who give up half-way through a game or play the `waiting game` tactic when being annihilated and use every second of their allocated time to move their chequers to try and piss you off into resigning......

https://zone.msn.com/gameplayer/game...stance=default

There`s no substitute for playing `for real` as at least then you know that the dice rolls truly are random and if they are in your favour..........or not.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Really nice setup there, might have to steal that idea for the ottoman in one of our rooms.
    PM me if you can’t find one and I’ll ask the shop I bought it in for the details. I’m not sure who made it, certainly imported from far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    I play, but prefer cribbage

Sent from my XQ-CQ54 using Tapatalk
    Long time crib player here, it is the king of card games.

Also an old hand at backgammon too, the king of dice games.

If anyone ever fancies a game over the phones or online, let me know.

Backgammon is a superb game.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

I learnt how to play around 20 years back, a fellow backpacker taught me when I was in Oz. I haven't played a human properly in a while though I do have a backgammon app on my mobile, it's not quite the same though. I used the app to teach my 10yo niece how to play over Christmas, it'd be great to get a decent playing set.

I play it every day on my ipad against the program which to be honest plays like a amateur. Makes odd moves and wonder about the person who programmed it.

Also play cribbage on the ipad

Played back in collage in '78

My boxed board is now a strap holder, but I kept the Bakelite pieces

When your daughters are not around and you have any ipad. You can use it to practice with

Craftsman
    I found that a lot of IPad backgammon apps would only let you play against the computer, or someone online, whereas I just wanted to play in person against my wife, using the app as the board.

SydR
    I got taught how to play the game many years ago by an Iranian colleague at the time. It seems it’s big in that country.

I still play off and on when I can find someone to have a game with.

Master

Does anyone here play?

Played years ago. Something made me think about it last year and I tried to remember how to play. I still have a cheap set from way back somewhere. Board folds in half and looks like a couple of leather bound books on the bookshelf.

I love backgammon, I haven't played for a while but have fond memories of many evenings whiled away playing backgammon with friends and family.

Master
    I’m wondering how many of you play Egyptian rules where you can only have a maximum of 5 counters on a point?

This was how I was taught to play many years ago & for many years everyone I knew who played played these rules. I was extremely surprised/perplexed the first time I played someone who played normal rules.

Personally I think normal rules makes it a much easier game & removes a large degree of the skill / strategy.

I have played quite a lot over the years. It can be a fun social game air you can take it more seriously

Whilst an element of chance if I play a 100 games with my son he will win 75. That’s because he’s a data analyst and a maths wonder so calculates odds as he goes

We play with the doubling dice that makes it far more exciting

The size of the board, pieces and dice can surprisingly add to the experience. Playing on holiday at the moment with a small board and nasty magnetic pieces does not enhance the game. Some years ago I went into a chess board store in London and they had a decent choice of backgammon boards to try out. I think it was near Euston. No idea whether it is still there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

The size of the board, pieces and dice can surprisingly add to the experience. Playing on holiday at the moment with a small board and nasty magnetic pieces does not enhance the game. Some years ago I went into a chess board store in London and they had a decent choice of backgammon boards to try out. I think it was near Euston. No idea whether it is still there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good point ref the board and pieces, that's one of the reasons I don't enjoy the app experience as much as I'd like - there's simply no tactility to it and it dulls the interaction.

As a slight aside, and whilst I'm talking about tactility, Shobu is another great 2-player board game. It's looks and plays as if it's a heavily modified version of Checkers and uses pebbles as playing pieces, a great touch that adds to the feel of the game.

Does anyone here play?

I bought this board must be over 30 years ago whilst on holiday in Greece, Turkey or some similar place.

Thanks for the link. I don't know the rules or how the game works but I beat the computer on 'medium' difficulty.

^ those folding wooden ones look great, I like the way they can be put in a bookcase.

Here’s our setup from this evening’s game. Not dissimilar to mr noble’s, though it would be nice to be able to use the board as a drinks tray.

This set is from the 20s/30s, and the smell of the old leather is just sublime :)

It seems that the player from where the photo was taken is playing red and moving clockwise. I don't know if there is a rule, but I have always set up the board as a mirror to yours, moving anti-clockwise - with the home board on the bottom right.

Playing for 40 years +
    Best board game ever.
    Never play for money...you'll loose.

There used to be a really good (global players) free online version on WinXP.
    No longer available unfortunately. *sniff*

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Some years ago I went into a chess board store in London and they had a decent choice of backgammon boards to try out. I think it was near Euston. No idea whether it is still there
    I remember that place on Euston Rd past Warren St. Not sure it is there now. But there is "Chess and Bridge" on Baker St. Which may be the same company and seems to sell Backgammon stuff. Not been there mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    It seems that the player from where the photo was taken is playing red and moving clockwise. I don't know if there is a rule, but I have always set up the board as a mirror to yours, moving anti-clockwise - with the home board on the bottom right.
    Taken from Oswald Jacoby and John R. Crawford's The Backgammon Book underneath a diagram very similar to the one below but with an arrow indicating an anticlockwise movement of the pieces.

Red

White

Technically it does not matter in which direction you move your men, and the board could be set up in exactly the opposite way...
    There is no strategic advantage whatever to either setup; the more common setup evolved out of ancient custom that the inner board should be nearer the source of light...
    The alternate setup may be used if both players agree before setting up the game

From the diagram above, surely red starts from the lower right hand side of the board, moving clockwise and his home bed will be upper right.

Or have I been playing wrong all these years?

No, of course, red will move clockwise and white anticlockwise.

I see what you're saying bud.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nickyboyo; 1st January 2023 at 22:23.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I’m wondering how many of you play Egyptian rules where you can only have a maximum of 5 counters on a point?

This was how I was taught to play many years ago & for many years everyone I knew who played played these rules. I was extremely surprised/perplexed the first time I played someone who played normal rules.

Personally I think normal rules makes it a much easier game & removes a large degree of the skill / strategy.
    Funny you mentioned that - my dads side of the family always played backgammon at any family gathering (usually the uncles, husbands etc.) but my family business was tobacco and they spent a lot of time in Egypt and would sometimes play Egyptian rules which used to really raise tempers.