closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Check your outside pipes

Master

Check your outside pipes

Just had a bit of a palaver with the CH condenser draining thingy on our Daughters system, which was highly inconvenient as She was supposed to be coming home from the hospital with our first Granchild. The hot water and heating failed on saturday due to the oulet pipe freezing. Luckily I have a plumber friend who diagnosed the fault over the phone then he came in on sunday just to check it and fit a supplementary indoor pipe. This sustained freezing temps is very bad for outdoor plumbing.
    It turned out there was no panic as the baby has had to stay in a couple extra days with jaundice.
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 12th December 2022 at 17:39. Reason: spurling

Aye, keep a kettle or three of boiling water on standby...

Master
    It’s properly cold, I returned from holiday and got the cars all warmed up and ice etc removed as it was so built up.

Hope the jaundice passes soon and he/she can be home soon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    It’s properly cold, I returned from holiday and got the cars all warmed up and ice etc removed as it was so built up.

Hope the jaundice passes soon and he/she can be home soon.
    Thanks, She is a bit premature and it's a common thing apparently.

Master
    Happens all the time. Not the greatest look but putting some foam insulation tube on the condensate drain pipe which runs outside normally stops it happening again

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I was by 3 weeks, and only really learned about the stress my parents went through as I was an adult. Hoping she can be home for her first magical Christmas.

(Even if this will be for the adults, as she won’t grasp gifts and unwrapping quite yet!)

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Happens all the time. Not the greatest look but putting some foam insulation tube on the condensate drain pipe which runs outside normally stops it happening again
    We did just that and it still froze in really cold weather. In the end I had a much larger diameter pipe fitted and that cured it

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    We did just that and it still froze in really cold weather. In the end I had a much larger diameter pipe fitted and that cured it

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Our brilliant plumber has tee-d off the internal pipe so that any condensate can dribble into a container if the outer pipe freezes again.

yep, had it with both my kids, one kid had the UV box at hospital the other stuck in front of the window!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I was by 3 weeks, and only really learned about the stress my parents went through as I was an adult. Hoping she can be home for her first magical Christmas.

(Even if this will be for the adults, as she won’t grasp gifts and unwrapping quite yet!)
    My Daughter, her Mum, was also 3 weeks early and 5lb 13oz. Little Sienna was scheduled to appear on or around xmas day but she popped out early last Tuesday and 5lb 3oz. That means two lots of presents of course.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Not sure that is the best treatment for jaundice in 2022?

Master
    My Daughter, her Mum, was also 3 weeks early and 5lb 13oz. Little Sienna was scheduled to appear on or around xmas day but she popped out early last Tuesday and 5lb 3oz. That means two lots of presents of course.
    Beautiful there is some history there! Two presents for sure, lucky Sienna. Enjoy being the best grandparent ever!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Yup, been through both of these...

Our outside condensate pipe was lagged when first installed, and (after me suffering too many trips outside at chilly breakfast time with a steaming kettle) about 12y ago our plumber re-arranged the pipe to run more steeply. The next winter confirmed that had done bu@@er all, so I took over and re-routed it through the wall into the garage and down to tap into the waste from a sink: problem solved ever since. My advice is never to run one of these outside unless maybe you live in the SW peninsula.

Our firstborn had jaundice for the first few days: we got some lovely photos of her in the UV exposure box in a nappy wearing tiny dark goggles (to protect the eyes from the UV), and 35y later she's rather proud of them
    The UV breaks down the bilirubin in the skin and prevents it harming the brain, especially important if the baby's a bit premature. They get let out once the bilirubin levels fall as they get over the traumas of birth and their liver picks up: as has been said, it's a very common temporary problem.

Master
    Congratulations Grandad👍👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Congratulations Grandad
    Thanks mate. It's nice to be one instead of just looking like one lol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    Yup, been through both of these...

Our outside condensate pipe was lagged when first installed, and (after me suffering too many trips outside at chilly breakfast time with a steaming kettle) about 12y ago our plumber re-arranged the pipe to run more steeply. The next winter confirmed that had done bu@@er all, so I took over and re-routed it through the wall into the garage and down to tap into the waste from a sink: problem solved ever since. My advice is never to run one of these outside unless maybe you live in the SW peninsula.

Our firstborn had jaundice for the first few days: we got some lovely photos of her in the UV exposure box in a nappy wearing tiny dark goggles (to protect the eyes from the UV), and 35y later she's rather proud of them
    The UV breaks down the bilirubin in the skin and prevents it harming the brain, especially important if the baby's a bit premature. They get let out once the bilirubin levels fall as they get over the traumas of birth and their liver picks up: as has been said, it's a very common temporary problem.
    The levels have come down now after uv treatment as you described so She came home today.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Ha ha ha

Congratulations!

Master
    Our brilliant plumber has tee-d off the internal pipe so that any condensate can dribble into a container if the outer pipe freezes again.
    The 'fix' worked. I checked today and there was about 200-300ml of liquid in the catch-container and the outside pipe had got a big icicle hanging off it at the top joint so completely frozen. If anyone wants a pic of this handy top-tip-mod let me know.

Master
    Ha ha! As others have said, congrats my friend. :)

Quite a timely thread! Just picked my mum up from a two week holiday and brought her home. It was an early flight so I stayed at hers for some breakfast and a nap.

First thing I did was turn on the central heating which kicked in fine. A little while later, I could hear a dripping and it was coming from the bottom of the boiler. The 90 degree elbow of the plastic pipe where the condenser flows to the outside waste seems to have failed. The central heating still works so I presume it’s just the joint that has failed. In any event, it needs looking at soon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Ha ha! As others have said, congrats my friend. :)
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 15th December 2022 at 00:27. Reason: And I've hit 4000 posts woopee

Master
    So today I decided to have a bit of a play with the outside pipes to see if I could redirect the flow of condensate so that it would not freeze and block so easily. I removed the 8 foot pipe running from the outlet to the nearest gutter downpipe and it was completely blocked with ice. No wonder the boiler quit in the first place, and the temperature hasn't gone up enough in the last week to melt it.
    I fitted a 32mm elbow/pipe/elbow/pipe to redirect the condensate straight down to a safe area and it immediately began to drip the stuff out.
    I left the internal failsafe in place (as in pic in other thread post #23), just incase it freezes up again.