closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 World Cup, anyone interested?

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I thought they would go ahead anyhow and risk the captain booking or all 9 nations would threaten to pull out and derail the tournament.
    Disappointed that they didn't show some unity and take this stand together...they/ we hold the negotiating power as no Capt./teams then no football and Fifa/Qatar can either swallow it OR be remembered forever as a very expensive farce and disaster...It's just Football there'll be more later.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Disappointed that they didn't show some unity and take this stand together...they/ we hold the negotiating power as no Capt./teams then no football and Fifa/Qatar can either swallow it OR be remembered forever as a very expensive farce and disaster...It's just Football there'll be more later.
    Indeed. I wonder if someone will break it and screw orders from their home FA. Or maybe a flash a T-shirt when they score a goal.

Or maybe at the end of the day footballers are not interested in these political things at all and just do as they are told
    Last edited by kultschar; 21st November 2022 at 11:34.

Time to breakaway and form an alternative to FIFA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ISTM this is more about FIFA control rather than the host nation - remember the poppy ban? - but at least this time they are offering several 'approved' armbands. Simple solution would be to ban all/any promotional armbands.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Not even 24 hours in and it's a total PR disaster for Qatar and FIFA. Also the spineless FAs of the countries who were going to wear the rainbow armbands. I find it all very very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Time to breakaway and form an alternative to FIFA.

Agreed, its full of corruption and power hungry people who are only interested in fattening their pockets, bit like our government haha (I know, I know, it should stay in the BP)...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I liked the World Cup when It was held in the Far East as there is at least interest in the game there
    Well, certainly not in South Africa (2010) again where Dutch female fans were arrested and jailed for wearing branded clothing of a beer that was not the WC's sponsor (Budweiser). They were charged and convicted on the Trade and Merchandise Practice Act that was conveniently enforced within the Fans Zone near the stadiums.

https://www.marketingweek.com/fifa-h...rketing-stunt/

Italy 90, USA 94 and Germany 2006 have been the best World Cups I can remember, i actually went to the opening ceremony in Germany 2006 (Germany v Costa Rica) what a amazing few days that was...

Blog Entries
    Now, the One Love band with the rainbow colours is not allowed on a captain's arm. If a captain appears on the pitch with that band, he'll receive a yellow card. I'll be curious to know what will happen to the England squad when they are on one knee before the game this afternoon...

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Not even 24 hours in and it's a total PR disaster for Qatar and FIFA. Also the spineless FAs of the countries who were going to wear the rainbow armbands. I find it all very very sad.
    Just like the beer in the stadiums, this was obviously the plan all along. FIFA will always do FIFA things, if there's money they'll stick their hand out.

My real criticism is to the teams. The nations competing have made it clear now that all this supposed outrage about human rights and solidarity with LGBT folk was all just empty virtue signalling. If it meant ANYTHING at all they'd wear the armbands and take the consequences en masse. They aren't prepared to put their principles before their own pride and glory.

This competition is dead for me, I'm not watching it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Italy 90, USA 94 and Germany 2006 have been the best World Cups I can remember, i actually went to the opening ceremony in Germany 2006 (Germany v Costa Rica) what a amazing few days that was...
    You know what Germans say? "The 2006 WC period was the best-ever for postwar Germany: no traffic jams on the Autobahns. No roadworks. Everything was smooth as silk during that period!"

1994 was a good tournament as well. My local watering hole had a long row of then, normally unobtainable beer brands: Bud, Coors etc. The first time I drank Corona!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Just like the beer in the stadiums, this was obviously the plan all along. FIFA will always do FIFA things, if there's money they'll stick their hand out.

My real criticism is to the teams. The nations competing have made it clear now that all this supposed outrage about human rights and solidarity with LGBT folk was all just empty virtue signalling. If it meant ANYTHING at all they'd wear the armbands and take the consequences en masse. They aren't prepared to put their principles before their own pride and glory.

Hopefully we get a surprise by a few players.

2022 World Cup, anyone interested?

Fans living World Cup dream.

https://youtu.be/3mk8VnlTpbo

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    66 was the bestest ever!

Jumpers for goalposts…
    74, 78 and 94 weren’t bad either - no joy, but no suffering.

Last edited by BillyCasper; 21st November 2022 at 12:43.

Euro 2020, the games in England were the best tournament ever. Didn't matter if you were black, white, asian, gay, straight whatever, you could get beaten sh*tless by drunken England yobs regardless. And the way England fans commiserated with their black players who missed penalties means we absolutely have the moral right here.....

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post

it's just money and marketing, there's no glory left in this.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    For players it’s the pinnacle of their sport and, for many a lifetime ambition. Whilst Kane and the others should be applauded for their intentions they are ultimately there to win the tournament and wouldn’t risk anything that would jeopardise their chances. I don’t have any criticism of them for putting football first in the circumstances.

It’s clear that Infantino and Qatar are fed up of criticism and, rather than take a pragmatic approach, are doubling down and determined to call all the shots. FIFA have demonstrated time and time again that they are oblivious to anything apart from money and it should be them that are shamed.

Not too many sportsmen with the determination of Colin Kaepernick. Him taking a stand (by kneeling) cost him his career in sports but gave him a whole different legacy.

A brave move after the years of dedication to the sport but ultimately picked the moral high ground over the sporting (and financial) gains makes him a rare individual.

I find it impossible to judge those in their position as the effort and commitment to get to the top of any sport is extraordinary and to give it away on moral grounds is a tough decision I doubt we could ever comprehend.

I'm sure if we're all totally honest we come across situations in our professional and personal lives that might not totally align with our morals but we get it done as it puts food on the table etc etc so I'm not so quick to judge a bunch of sportballers or actors etc for wanting to get a trophy or a paycheck.

I'll just happily turn my back and vote with my feet and wallet as the outcome of a football match is inconsequential.

I find there's plenty of others in the world that we should look to as role models and are in positions that do have consequence to put my energy into.

Craftsman
    I am just glad Scotland decided to boycott this World Cup.

Just noticed the BBC have shortened Iran to IRN .

This is not enjoyable as a spectacle. England doing well but Christ the lack of atmosphere- it’s like a game behind closed doors. Awful

Blog Entries
    This is not enjoyable as a spectacle. England doing well but Christ the lack of atmosphere- it’s like a game behind closed doors. Awful
    If that bad suggest you stop watching it entirely.

Luckily our balanced media are highly likely to play down the England thrashing of Iran and dampen expectations.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Luckily our balanced media are highly likely to play down the England thrashing of Iran and dampen expectations.
    You mean it’s not coming home?

How that Uruguayan VAR bloke ignored Maguire being dragged down and yet gave a very innocuous looking pen to Iran shows what money can buy.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

No I am not!

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    If that bad suggest you stop watching it entirely.
    Do you think it’s good? Doesn’t feel like a football atmosphere to me?

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Just noticed the BBC have shortened Iran to IRN .
    What a pity they're not playing Burundi.

We could have IRN BRU
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Absolutely, very sterile.

Blog Entries
    Do you think it’s good? Doesn’t feel like a football atmosphere to me?
    I'm not watching it and want nothing to do with it. It all sems sordid to me and I am saddened that anyone at all is watching it. Ideally imo it should be completely boycotted in every respect.

(Nothing to do with it -- other than commenting in this thread!)

Seems to me that those who aren't into football are doing a very good job of virtue signalling; and those who are (edit: genuinely, like the regular contributors to the various football threads on here) into football are watching it. Exactly as expected, then.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 21st November 2022 at 18:29.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Seems to me that those who aren't into football are doing a very good job of virtue signalling; and those who are into football are watching it. Exactly as expected, then.
    Well it seems you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Well it seems you're wrong.
    Yes, of course I am

Craftsman
    Yes, of course I am
    Damn, missed that one.

Must do better :)

It shouldn't be in Qatar but then again you shouldn't fly Etihad, buy anything made in China, go on holiday to Dubai etc.

But you do because whilst you are excellent at virtue signalling you're in reality just venting about something you had no intention of watching anyway plus intrinsically you don't like Muslims and this is an excellent 'non-racist' way of doing it if everyone else is.

I was in a hotel last week with the Serbian team - that is the start and end of my interest.

I'll keep an eye on the results and probably watch the final if it involves England, France or Germany but that's about it.

Seems to me that those who aren't into football are doing a very good job of virtue signalling; and those who are (edit: genuinely, like the regular contributors to the various football threads on here) into football are watching it. Exactly as expected, then.
    I’m not particularly interested in it but not for any of the reasons mentioned.
    I just think international football is bobbins.
    Righto, off to watch USAWAL or is it WALUSA

What is wrong with you naysayers, it's the football world cup, like other world cups and the Olympics, it happens every 4 years and politics has very often played a part in the support for the competition.

Forget your sensitivities and get behind your country..

I'm Welsh, on tenterhooks just waiting for kick off.

Fantastic result for England earlier, awesome effort all round.

Good luck to both teams...

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

That was bloody emotional! Come on Wales!!!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    66 was the bestest ever!

Jumpers for goalposts…
    Don't forget that homosexuality was illegal here at that time, and eventually England will be retrospectively disqualified.

Master
    That was bloody emotional! Come on Wales!!!!!
    I love the Welsh and I've had some lovely times in that country. But in the football context I can't ever see past this.

USA! USA!

etc

The septics are looking very lively.

Master
    Get in!!

Welsh game has some atmosphere at least

Master
    Blog Entries
    Welsh game has some atmosphere at least

But still lacking the noise we in the UK are used to

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    But still lacking the noise we in the UK are used to
    Yep, I didn't hear any of the non-English anthems booed whatsoever so absolutely nothing like being in Blighty.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Yep, I didn't hear anything whatsoever so absolutely nothing like being in Blighty.
    FTFY

Yep ,me too. USA! USA!

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I love the Welsh and I've had some lovely times in that country. But in the football context I can't ever see past this.

USA! USA!

etc

Gareth Bale looking like a faded force. What a waste of a career - he let himself go at Madrid