closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Replica watch stolen - just not worth it!

Replica watch stolen - just not worth it!

Ok, so no financial loss but it could have turned out a lot worse. You have to question the point of buying a replica, just wear a g-shock!

https://www.sussex.police.uk/news/su...usic-festival/

The strangest thing about that story is that police are investigating - there’s a first.

Master
    Why bother with a photo when it’s like that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Should it not say fake …

Replica watch stolen - just not worth it!

problem with wearing a fake is the complacency it gives the owner ,not realising that if it’s a good fake you are just as likely to be targeted in a robbery

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    You have to question the point of buying a replica, just wear a g-shock! ]
    No more than you have to question those who are on a waiting list for years for the genuine article. It's an exclusive club that a lot of people want to be a part of.

Master
    Ironically, the Ray-bans were probably worth more than the 'Rolex'. Presumably the thieves thought the watch was genuine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    No more than you have to question those who are on a waiting list for years for the genuine article. It's an exclusive club that a lot of people want to be a part of.
    I am in Spain which seems to attract more than its fair share of Rolex thefts and I am now wearing an old Omega Constellation Manhattan that I bought in the late 1980s. It is only 34mm dia, less than 7mm high and made of stainless steel. I had it serviced but did not have the exterior polished and most important of all, no one even gives it a second glance.

My wife and I go everywhere together and we are hardly ever apart. I quickly realised after the attempted theft of my Rolex that I had put my wife in serious danger and I was bloody selfish in putting her at risk. I am 73 and my wife is still recovering from a stroke and we were easy targets and I was a total dick not to realise that.

It took just a couple of weeks to adjust to wearing the Omega and I suspect the Rolex will now never see the light of day whilst I am alive.

Strangely enough I was a bit peeved having to wear the Omega at first but now it's no big deal.
    Last edited by Mick P; 25th October 2022 at 08:41.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    My wife and I go everywhere together and we are hardly ever apart. I quickly realised after the attempted theft of my Rolex that I had put my wife in serious danger and I was bloody selfish in putting her at risk. I am 73 and my wife is still recovering from a stroke and we were easy targets and I was a total dick not to realise that.
    Stop beating yourself up about that. It was not your fault.

Yes, live and learn and take action accordingly, but it wasn't your fault.

I suspect the Rolex will now never see the light of day whilst I am alive.
    You can still wear it at home!

As I've mentioned before, I live in north west London and I don't wear any slightly valuable watch out on the street with bare arms any more. It's a Casio or old Seiko beater for me when out on the street with a visible watch.

Perhaps the Ray-Bans were phoney as well
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I am in Spain which seems to attract more than its fair share of Rolex thefts….

Strangely enough I was a bit peeved having to wear the Omega at first but now it's no big deal.
    Mick
    As Mark says don’t beat yourself up, it was not your fault and it could happen to anyone.
    Live and learn. Etc.
    re the last part of your quote, can I ask why it peeved you? Was it the fact you have had to adjust your lifestyle? It’s understandable but again you can adjust, you don’t have to stick a watch in the safe, longer sleeves, careful where you wear it etc.
    Don’t let scummy bar-stewards put you off.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The strangest thing about that story is that police are investigating - there’s a first.
    I suspect it’s because it was stolen during an assault?

Master
    Theft is theft , assault is assault,

Master
    And a robbery is theft with an assault (or violence).

I wear my Rolex everywhere. If it might be a bit dodgey, I stick them on a nato. I like to think I can look after myself but if my life was in danger I’d simply hand it over.

Otherwise you may as well not own anything nice. Just my opinion on things.

They're no doubt investigating the assault, or should they not bother because the victim was wearing a fake watch?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    They're no doubt investigating the assault, or should they not bother because the victim was wearing a fake watch?
    I think you guys are missing the point of my comment here, with so many crimes including burglaries, assaults and even rapes attracting little or no interest from the Police I was surprised that this is being investigated.

In an ideal world every crime should be fully investigated, but how many times do we hear, here is your crime number, but we are marking this one as case closed.

I wasn’t passing an opinion on seriousness or otherwise of the crime or any reference at all to the status of the watch.

I think you guys are missing the point of my comment here, with so many crimes including burglaries, assaults and even rapes attracting little or no interest from the Police I was surprised that this is being investigated.

In an ideal world every crime should be fully investigated, but how many times do we hear, here is your crime number, but we are marking this one as case closed.

I wasn’t passing an opinion on seriousness or otherwise of the crime or any reference at all to the status of the watch.
    Fully clocked here, along with the irony.

Funny old world… (not funny at all)

It took just a couple of weeks to adjust to wearing the Omega and I suspect the Rolex will now never see the light of day whilst I am alive.
    You need to realise that you're not at fault here in the slightest.

The world around us constantly means that we have to change our habits. When we're younger we're all far more adaptable and change is second nature. As we get older, we cope with change less and less. In your particular case, you shouldn't have to choose what watch you wear based on personal safety but unfortunately that is the case. However, discretion is a good solution. You don't need to stop wearing the Rolex, just choose more appropriate times for wearing it. Wear it to dinner on an evening when you may be wearing a long sleeved shirt or wear it when you go to see friends or relatives. Just avoid wearing it in public places where undesirables might see it.

Your point was very clear. Not sure how it could be misconstrued

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Mick
    As Mark says don’t beat yourself up, it was not your fault and it could happen to anyone.
    Live and learn. Etc.
    re the last part of your quote, can I ask why it peeved you? Was it the fact you have had to adjust your lifestyle? It’s understandable but again you can adjust, you don’t have to stick a watch in the safe, longer sleeves, careful where you wear it etc.
    Don’t let scummy bar-stewards put you off.
    I enjoyed wearing a Rolex because I just did. The Omega I am now wearing is the complete opposite of the Rolex, it is small, thin and very understated and will attract no attention at all.

My point was that I now quite enjoy wearing a small understated watch, so I have adapted.

I have been toying with the idea of a JLC Reverso where I can just flip the watch over to reveal a plain metal base when walking around markets and tourist hotspots where the ringers are said to hang out.

I still can't decide if wearing the Explorer1 is safe or not. I sort of think it's safe but I was once told by a customs guy in a Spanish airport to take my Rolex off when going through the barrier. If he noticed it, so could a ringer.

Blog Entries
    I still can't decide if wearing the Explorer1 is safe or not. I sort of think it's safe but I was once told by a customs guy in a Spanish airport to take my Rolex off when going through the barrier. If he noticed it, so could a ringer.
    Personally I would say too risky. Any Rolex will be noticed, I reckon.