closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 273 of 354 FirstFirst ... 173223263271272273274275283323 ... LastLast
Results 13,601 to 13,650 of 17673

Thread: More bike related stuff

Had a nice ride to a couple of local(ish) cafes; brew in one, bacon butty and a brew in the other:

Last edited by Stanford; 17th September 2022 at 18:27.

Don't know about the cafe but the bike is very tasty looking!

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Don't know about the cafe but the bike is very tasty looking!
    The cafe is actually really good; the bike is too, but really needs more open roads than the SE can provide, on a Saturday, to be able to appreciate what it can do

Went out on the bike this afternoon and it was earily quiet on two fronts - the high pressure over UK at the moment producing one of those very still, calm no wind early autumn days where you can hear everything for miles and the very obvious lack of traffic on the roads due to folk watching something on telly.

A lot of petrol stations were closed - nearly caused cause for concern but thanks to my local knowlege knew where to head for after passing three which were shut so found fuel without any of that `i`m getting a bit worried, now` feeling and using a smidgeon of throttle whilst doing 30 mph everywhere to eek out every last drop....

Did have one bit of drama though when i hit a pheasant at low speed - there seemed to be far more birds on the road today than i have ever noticed before, either due to the lack of aforementioned traffic or just because of the country roads and back lanes i was bimbling about on.
    The bird hit the nearside front indicator and bent it back and from where i was sat i expected it to be broken and £90 out of pocket (probably) but was happy to see it was just dislodged out of place. BMW indicators can snap like a carrot just by breathing on them....

Next week, Salisbury plain green laning...

Anybody else out today making the most of the unusual day?

Coombe Gibbet/Inkpen Beacon;

Master
    Yeh just an hour out after a 26 mile cycle
    Popped down the front for a coffee- beautiful morning
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Had a nice ride to a couple of local(ish) cafes; brew in one, bacon butty and a brew in the other:

Had a brew at the 1066 this morning (well a couple actually), there were quite a few bikes out. Passed the Butcher’s Hook on the way home but it was shut first thing (about 9.30am).

One of the more interesting parts of today's lengthy broadcast was a game of top trumps to identify the bikes ridden by the police outriders from the abbey.

BMW R1250 RS, 18 and 19 plate, all with SEG suffix.

A more practical choice for low speed support duties when compared with the RT.
    Last edited by W124; 19th September 2022 at 16:44.

I’ve said goodbye to my Honda Monkey after three enjoyable months and passing the DAS.

So the time has come to take the next step, so I’m now looking for my first ‘big bike’.

As I went through the vast internet and YouTube reviews, I’ve found myself chopping and changing the shortlist endlessly, which in the end has resulted in some mental fatigue.

And so I’m asking for some advice from the guys here, who have some real world experience of the first big bike conundrum.

Shortlist has the following bikes in no order of preference:

Triumph Street Twin (probably the most sensible option given it’s modest power compared with the others, love the looks but I really don’t want to be in a situation where I’d be wanting to upgrade after a short time)

Triumph Speed Twin (if I got the street twin, then the speed twin would always linger as the one I should have got)

Honda CB650R (can’t think of any real negatives for this one, but maybe doesn’t have the X factor of some of the other options)

BMW RnineT (like the styling if not the sound of the boxer twin, yes I am partial to a nice sounding motorcycle)

Kawasaki z900RS (my current favourite, gorgeous looks and a great in-line 4 sound. I would definitely have to get the low seat option and maybe even a lowering link, as the standard 835mm seat height seems a step too far for my 29inch inseam)

My local dealer recommended a Yamaha MT-07, to be honest the bike sounds nice with the cross plane parallel twin, other than that I think the styling is meh and it doesn’t really do it for me.

If anyone has any ownership experience of the bikes above or any others they could recommend, please chime in.

Master
    Well if you read the thread the OP, LTF, bought a Street Twin and kept it for about five minutes 🤣. Seriously I think you'd find you grow out of it very quickly.

I have owned a Speed twin and loved it, only sold it because I didn't use it enough to justify the amount of cash in it.

I'll always recommend a Street Triple though, another I have owned, in that case for over ten years. TBH somewhat regret selling it.

I currently have a '98 Fireblade which I love but when the back can't take it any more I think I will get another Striple.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Well if you read the thread the OP, LTF, bought a Street Twin and kept it for about five minutes 🤣. Seriously I think you'd find you grow out of it very quickly.

I have owned a Speed twin and loved it, only sold it because I didn't use it enough to justify the amount of cash in it.

I'll always recommend a Street Triple though, another I have owned, in that case for over ten years. TBH somewhat regret selling it.

I currently have a '98 Fireblade which I love but when the back can't take it any more I think I will get another Striple.
    I threw a leg over the street triple at my local triumph dealership. It probably felt a little too aggressive in its riding position to be honest. That may well have been because I have never really experienced that kind of set up before.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Went out on the bike this afternoon and it was earily quiet on two fronts - the high pressure over UK at the moment producing one of those very still, calm no wind early autumn days where you can hear everything for miles and the very obvious lack of traffic on the roads due to folk watching something on telly.

A lot of petrol stations were closed - nearly caused cause for concern but thanks to my local knowlege knew where to head for after passing three which were shut so found fuel without any of that `i`m getting a bit worried, now` feeling and using a smidgeon of throttle whilst doing 30 mph everywhere to eek out every last drop....

Did have one bit of drama though when i hit a pheasant at low speed - there seemed to be far more birds on the road today than i have ever noticed before, either due to the lack of aforementioned traffic or just because of the country roads and back lanes i was bimbling about on.
    The bird hit the nearside front indicator and bent it back and from where i was sat i expected it to be broken and £90 out of pocket (probably) but was happy to see it was just dislodged out of place. BMW indicators can snap like a carrot just by breathing on them....

Next week, Salisbury plain green laning...

Anybody else out today making the most of the unusual day?

Coombe Gibbet/Inkpen Beacon;

My neck of the woods (although I usually do Combe without an engine 😬 ).

I did get out briefly on the Blade and I know what you mean re the conditions...headed out on the B4494 to Wantage over Chain Hill which is fabulous and highly recommended (you have Saddleback Farm Cafe if you want a brew) and back up the A338 towards Hungerford (nice but basic cafe at Letcombe Regis) and back round via Boxford. Lovely roads, but yes there were a few Pheasants out today, in fact hit one in the MX-5 on the same route a week or so back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    I threw a leg over the street triple at my local triumph dealership. It probably felt a little too aggressive in its riding position to be honest. That may well have been because I have never really experienced that kind of set up before.
    It's a little more feet back than you might be used to I guess but makes complete sense when on the move...the motor is epic, but grunty enough low down you can grow into it as your experience gets better.

Master
    Namzo what about heading over to the Bike supermarket Macclesfied

https://superbikefactory.co.uk/?utm_...RoC_MMQAvD_BwE

They claim to have 2000 bikes in stock, probably more than will be displayed at the NE C in Nov.

It will give you an opportunity to see in the steel the bikes you have been researching on line.

Having enjoyed the Monkey I would be going for a bike with a bit of soul Guzzi / Ducati or Aprillia. Leave the super fast bikes for a few more years. Guzzi V7’s Ducati scramblers Aprillia 660 , even a Triumph Trident 660 will all sit in the 70 to 90 bhp range. Plenty of power to use realistically on todays roads.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Namzo what about heading over to the Bike supermarket Macclesfied

https://superbikefactory.co.uk/?utm_...RoC_MMQAvD_BwE

They claim to have 2000 bikes in stock, probably more than will be displayed at the NE C in Nov.

It will give you an opportunity to see in the steel the bikes you have been researching on line.

Having enjoyed the Monkey I would be going for a bike with a bit of soul Guzzi / Ducati or Aprillia. Leave the super fast bikes for a few more years. Guzzi V7’s Ducati scramblers Aprillia 660 , even a Triumph Trident 660 will all sit in the 70 to 90 bhp range. Plenty of power to use realistically on todays roads.
    That’s a great idea, I will try and find some time next weekend to pay them a visit.

I’m not in a rush and just want to make the right decision.

I was also looking at the BMW f900r and as soon as I sat on one at the bmw dealer, I felt it wasn’t the bike for me due to ergonomics.

The r1200r and r1200rs on the other hand felt a lot better, but may be just out of my price range for the age and mileage I’d want.

Just proved that you really need to sit and check a bike to see if it suits you before you buy.

Master
    Just proved that you really need to sit and check a bike to see if it suits you before you buy.
    Possibly true in terms of size, but trust me, the feel of a bike on the move versus stationary is completely different. Without wishing to harp on about it, my Fireblade would feel terrible to a lot of people, but once on the move it all makes perfect sense.

You need some test rides, much more fun!

Honestly, no, it doesn’t. What you think suits you now may not last more than 100miles.
    Again, read the thread from the start as LTF went through exactly the same process. I think the Harley is his 6th or 7th bike since then.
    Now I do not doubt that they were part of his learning curve, and I think he doesn’t regret getting any of them ( he even wishes he’d have the space to keep one or two more). But it is a relatively expensive path to tow.
    You will change bikes, of course. But if you give a little credit to the brands in making a coherent product, you’ll understand that the position of the commands are meant to suit the style of riding, not the styling. Therefore determine what you want to do with your next bike (commuting, cruising, touring, etc.) and choose in the category you have chosen. You get to try the bikes anyway, and that will tell you a lot more than a static leg over.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Honestly, no, it doesn’t. What you think suits you now may not last more than 100miles.
    Again, read the thread from the start as LTF went through exactly the same process. I think the Harley is his 6th or 7th bike since then.
    Now I do not doubt that they were part of his learning curve, and I think he doesn’t regret getting any of them ( he even wishes he’d have the space to keep one or two more). But it is a relatively expensive path to tow.
    You will change bikes, of course. But if you give a little credit to the brands in making a coherent product, you’ll understand that the position of the commands are meant to suit the style of riding, not the styling. Therefore determine what you want to do with your next bike (commuting, cruising, touring, etc.) and choose in the category you have chosen. You get to try the bikes anyway, and that will tell you a lot more than a static leg over.
    Thanks for your advice, I will take note.

Most of my riding will be for leisure so I’m not really looking for a pure performance bike.

I did also look at the last generation VFR800 but from what I’ve read it’s a very heavy bike. I guess I will need to take one for a test ride to truly appreciate whether it is suitable or not (at the moment).

It’s a near perfect bike - in fact, it might actually be perfect. Test one, and also test an R9T for a totally different riding experience from two bikes you won’t grow out of. Add the Speed Twin to the tests and if you buy one of those three you genuinely can’t go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    It’s a near perfect bike - in fact, it might actually be perfect. Test one, and also test an R9T for a totally different riding experience from two bikes you won’t grow out of. Add the Speed Twin to the tests and if you buy one of those three you genuinely can’t go wrong.
    Thanks Tony,

I appreciate you’re already a long way down this journey that I’m currently embarking on, so your advice is greatly valued.

The ergonomics of the street twin felt really comfortable, which I imagine was largely due to the lower seat height over the speed twin. I know that the ability to flat foot a bike is really not essential, it just gives you that feeling of confidence early on when you are moving up to the bigger bikes I suppose.

A close friend has just bought the r9t scrambler which really felt a little too high for me, whereas the plain r9t felt much better (again this was just at stand still).

This Kawasaki is my current favourite on looks alone, so if anyone has any experience of the Z900RS it would be great to hear.

i test rode one of the kawa 900rs , imo kawasaki have nailed it for the updated retro and it seems more sporty than any of the truimph retro models , if you want to try something 'newer' looking but more comfortable try an mt 09 - the latest model has every toy you could need (quickshifter/blipper/cruise control) and is a hoot to ride.

I have toyed with the idea of a speed twin or z900rs but they are in the same vein as my XJR1300 albeit newer and lighter. For me, I can’t justify the extra cost to change so I’m sticking with the XJR. I’m not recommending an XJR for you though, they are very big and heavy but a great bike for me.

Either bike would be excellent but don’t rule out the street twin or z650RS as the smaller bikes are better for inexperienced riders and, as you gain in confidence and experience, will be much more fun (thrashable) at lower speeds.

Big, fast bikes are great but at lower speeds they can feel dull because you have to ride them so far within their limits.

Thanks Tony,

I appreciate you’re already a long way down this journey that I’m currently embarking on, so your advice is greatly valued.

The ergonomics of the street twin felt really comfortable, which I imagine was largely due to the lower seat height over the speed twin. I know that the ability to flat foot a bike is really not essential, it just gives you that feeling of confidence early on when you are moving up to the bigger bikes I suppose.

A close friend has just bought the r9t scrambler which really felt a little too high for me, whereas the plain r9t felt much better (again this was just at stand still).

This Kawasaki is my current favourite on looks alone, so if anyone has any experience of the Z900RS it would be great to hear.
    I absolutely understand what you’re saying, and it’s precisely why I bought the Street Twin after my DAS. All I’ll say is that I took it in for its 500 mile service, tested the Street Triple while I was waiting, and swapped them over there and then. It was an expensive lesson.

The revised version of the Street Twin has a little more power, and it may indeed be enough for you. However, if you can flat foot the Street Twin you’ll be fine with the Speed Twin. You’ll also find the classic version of the R9T manageable, as it’s lower than both the Scrambler and the Urban GS and has its weight very low down.

Finally, seat height has always been a big issue for me too as I’m shorter than average. My inside leg is only 30” and I have to admit that the Street Triple was a slight challenge. I ended up buying the low version of the R model, but if I’d bought it a year later I’d almost certainly have gone for the standard height as I had a lot more confidence by then, and understood that flat footing is nice but not essential.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 20th September 2022 at 07:33.

This thread does seem to be heavily biased towards BMW and Triumph - on account of the ownership and quality of the bikes - but cast your net far and wide would be suggestion.

For example: my MV has generated little interest on this thread, which is surprising since it’s Italian exotica. It sounds fabulous, is easy to ride, reliable and is not something you see every day. Some watch parallels there for sure.

Whatever you choose, enjoy the test rides.

Thanks for all the valuable input guys.

Just went to see a CB650R not far from me. It was a 2020 model with a touch over 2500 miles. Unfortunately covered in rust and leaking oil. How a 2 year old bike ends up in such a state I’ve no idea.

I will keep you guys updated on how I go.

Try a BMW R1200R or R1250R - I really rate them as a bike to excite, but also great touring bikes.

Not as quirky as the R9t but a stonking bike nonetheless.

I’d like to think that either would save you from following in LTF’s tyre tracks where you are changing bikes every 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    This thread does seem to be heavily biased towards BMW and Triumph - on account of the ownership and quality of the bikes - but cast your net far and wide would be suggestion.

For example: my MV has generated little interest on this thread, which is surprising since it’s Italian exotica. It sounds fabulous, is easy to ride, reliable and is not something you see every day. Some watch parallels there for sure.

Whatever you choose, enjoy the test rides.
    MV have a fabulous sporting history with Giacomo but the first bikes they made when they restarted were both extremely sporty and not always that reliable (or to be more precise required the level of maintenance track bikes usually demand).

Things may have changed though, and your experience proves it.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Try a BMW R1200R or R1250R - I really rate them as a bike to excite, but also great touring bikes.

I’d like to think that either would save you from following in LTF’s tyre tracks where you are changing bikes every 6 months.
    They really do appeal to me and so they are earmarked for a test drive.

Master
    You can have a faulty bike anytime. I sold my new Triump daytona 675 after 4.000km. Many electric problems and left for dead on several trips. What a dump…

I had five Honda’s. Last one a blade. These never let me down.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    MV have a fabulous sporting history with Giacomo but the first bikes they made when they restarted were both extremely sporty and not always that reliable (or to be more precise required the level of maintenance track bikes usually demand).

Things may have changed though, and your experience proves it.
    I think that’s fair. In recent times they, like Ducati have sorted many of the issues which plagued their bikes, and which brands like Honda almost never experienced.

But now they’ve learnt from their mistakes and compete more equally. And about time.

This is a good watch: https://youtu.be/hqkdzwFOgMI

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    You can have a faulty bike anytime. I sold my new Triump daytona 675 after 4.000km. Many electric problems and left for dead on several trips. What a dump…

I had five Honda’s. Last one a blade. These never let me down.
    The last 2 times I’ve been with a Honda riding mate, both bikes broke down..

1st one was a VFR800 that refused to restart after stopping to put waterproofs on. (Owner still hasn’t got to the bottom of the issue)

2nd one was a Fireblade that flattened its battery due to voltage regulator failure..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    The last 2 times I’ve been with a Honda riding mate, both bikes broke down..

1st one was a VFR800 that refused to restart after stopping to put waterproofs on. (Owner still hasn’t got to the bottom of the issue)

2nd one was a Fireblade that flattened its battery due to voltage regulator failure..
    Like i said; every bike can be faulty. You just need some luck with it.

The regulator thing is a known to be faulty sometimes.

I am about to change from a blade to a GS in about two years for work. Curious how that will be.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

It’s a bike every 12 months actually, which is a rate easily matched by many others on this thread. Not sure I need singling out, and in fact I’ve been more than happy trying many of the superb bikes out there just because I want to.

Master
    It’s a bike every 12 months actually, which is a rate easily matched by many others on this thread. Not sure I need singling out, and in fact I’ve been more than happy trying many of the superb bikes out there just because I want to.
    I take exception to that Tony , I have had two new to me bikes in the last 6 months :). :). Keep up at the back :)

I take exception to that Tony , I have had two new to me bikes in the last 6 months :). :). Keep up at the back :)
    Excellent work, Steve. I’m proud of you.

Master
    Pah… what a the pair of amateurs.浪浪

Going to collect my new Speedmaster tomorrow… Ron Haslam will be there
    Last edited by Enoch; 21st September 2022 at 10:42.

Master
    ^^^^ My mate has a Ducati Hyper thing for sale… he hates it.. not sure why, but he just hasn’t got on with it since he bought it…

Thought it’d be fun to list my bikes since I started riding again in 2018

Bobber Black bought used. Traded

Ducati XDiavel bought used. Traded

Ducati XDiavel ex demo 100 miles on the clock. Traded

Triumph Speedmaster bought new 2020. Traded after accident

Ended up looking like this

Bobber TFC Limited edition bought new 2020 but couldn’t get on with the riding position. Traded for Rocket

Rocket 3 bought new 2020. Traded for TMax as to heavy following accident

Ducati XDiavel bought new 2022

Honda Forza 350 bought new 2022. Sold privately

Yamaha T-Max Tech Max Bought new 2022

Triumph Speedmaster bought new 2022

Current set up is 22 XDiavel, 22 TMax, and 22 Speedmaster..
    Last edited by Enoch; 21st September 2022 at 13:05.

The Maxi scooters are immensely popular in Europe, but slightly false economics IMHO when the cost of the "obligatory" full Akro system is factored in. Since bikes can be ridden with restrictor kits, and in many cases cost less than the scooters, I guess the riding simplicity of a scooter trumps the possibilities a bike gives you.

Master
    The Maxi scooters are immensely popular in Europe, but slightly false economics IMHO when the cost of the "obligatory" full Akro system is factored in. Since bikes can be ridden with restrictor kits, and in many cases cost less than the scooters, I guess the riding simplicity of a scooter trumps the possibilities a bike gives you.
    I don’t think the Akro is obligatory, but I agree on the economics. The TMax was more expensive that the Speedmaster. Which is difficult to accept.

I’m going to SORN the bikes soon, and use just the scooter for the next few months. The heated seat and grips should help with winter riding..

I really meant that I see most fitted with them. They do sound good with them on, I'll give them that.

Roll on the HP Corse HydroTre which is on order for the MV. Should open up the bike's voice box a tad.

My ratio is a new bike about every 18 months, my problem is I rarely sell any on!

Master
    I really meant that I see most fitted with them. They do sound good with them on, I'll give them that.

Roll on the HP Corse HydroTre which is on order for the MV. Should open up the bike's voice box a tad.
    Best part of £2k for a TMax Akro.. outrageous for a bit of metal tube.

Master
    Advice please.

I've had a full licence for ever, have owned/ridden/trackdayed all sorts of sports bikes and have raced MX in my dim and distant past. Other than a day at the Yamaha Offroad Experience in Wales this year, however, I've not ridden a bike of any sort for the best part of a decade so I have no real idea of the market.

I'm absolutely not interested in road riding, but I'm looking to do some pottering around on green lanes in the Surrey Hills. Looking for a 4-stroke, and I really don't need a lot of power, so a Husqvarna FE501/Yamaha WR450 etc, whilst fun, would be overkill to a massive level. I also want something reliable, electric start, with low maintenance (cos I'm lazy) so a 1992 DR650 or the like is ruled out because they're more bother than they're worth.

So far the Honda CRF300L (not the Rallye version) is standing out, either new or very lightly used. I know it's got pretty budget suspension, but that's easily sorted. Anyone got any opinions, or, better yet, riding impressions? Alternatives?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Best part of £2k for a TMax Akro.. outrageous for a bit of metal tube.
    The closes I got is an Akro hoody - I keep eyeing one up for my T7 but - do I need it? But at about £800 sound cheap compared to a Tmax one

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Advice please.

I've had a full licence for ever, have owned/ridden/trackdayed all sorts of sports bikes and have raced MX in my dim and distant past. Other than a day at the Yamaha Offroad Experience in Wales this year, however, I've not ridden a bike of any sort for the best part of a decade so I have no real idea of the market.

I'm absolutely not interested in road riding, but I'm looking to do some pottering around on green lanes in the Surrey Hills. Looking for a 4-stroke, and I really don't need a lot of power, so a Husqvarna FE501/Yamaha WR450 etc, whilst fun, would be overkill to a massive level. I also want something reliable, electric start, with low maintenance (cos I'm lazy) so a 1992 DR650 or the like is ruled out because they're more bother than they're worth.

So far the Honda CRF300L (not the Rallye version) is standing out, either new or very lightly used. I know it's got pretty budget suspension, but that's easily sorted. Anyone got any opinions, or, better yet, riding impressions? Alternatives?
    I’m quite interested in one of these to sit alongside my 1250gs
    Great reputation and mods quite cheap and easy
    Nice to be able to pretty much use all of its capabilities too- despite riding for 44 years I always felt my Husqvarna 701e was going to “get me” off road.
    What a beautiful machine on dry tarmac it was though…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I’m quite interested in one of these to sit alongside my 1250gs
    Great reputation and mods quite cheap and easy
    Nice to be able to pretty much use all of its capabilities too- despite riding for 44 years I always felt my Husqvarna 701e was going to “get me” off road.
    What a beautiful machine on dry tarmac it was though…
    I looked at the previous 250 before buying my T7

Advice please.

There's a very nice fully sorted CRF300L on UKGSer for sale.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    There's a very nice fully sorted CRF300L on UKGSer for sale.
    Sadly, I can’t see it despite registering. Presumably I need to have made a load of posts. A pity really.

Master

I was at the TT many years ago when we happened on a pub with an Italian night. Two 750S Classic MV owners decided to fire their bikes up and clear the tubes. They emptied the pub, everyone was outside to listen to the booming exhausts.

Journeyman
    Sadly, I can’t see it despite registering. Presumably I need to have made a load of posts. A pity really.
    PM sent
    Last edited by K-Z1R; 21st September 2022 at 21:13.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    I’ve said goodbye to my Honda Monkey after three enjoyable months and passing the DAS.

So the time has come to take the next step, so I’m now looking for my first ‘big bike’.

As I went through the vast internet and YouTube reviews, I’ve found myself chopping and changing the shortlist endlessly, which in the end has resulted in some mental fatigue.

And so I’m asking for some advice from the guys here, who have some real world experience of the first big bike conundrum.

Shortlist has the following bikes in no order of preference:

Triumph Street Twin (probably the most sensible option given it’s modest power compared with the others, love the looks but I really don’t want to be in a situation where I’d be wanting to upgrade after a short time)

Triumph Speed Twin (if I got the street twin, then the speed twin would always linger as the one I should have got)

Honda CB650R (can’t think of any real negatives for this one, but maybe doesn’t have the X factor of some of the other options)

BMW RnineT (like the styling if not the sound of the boxer twin, yes I am partial to a nice sounding motorcycle)

Kawasaki z900RS (my current favourite, gorgeous looks and a great in-line 4 sound. I would definitely have to get the low seat option and maybe even a lowering link, as the standard 835mm seat height seems a step too far for my 29inch inseam)

My local dealer recommended a Yamaha MT-07, to be honest the bike sounds nice with the cross plane parallel twin, other than that I think the styling is meh and it doesn’t really do it for me.

If anyone has any ownership experience of the bikes above or any others they could recommend, please chime in.
    I would look at the type of riding you intend to do as well, and factor that into your decision. Touring, commuting, sunday blasting, off road, just everyday to work, track days, these are options to look at.

Looking at your list, if you are considering those bikes, then like others before me, I would certainly recommend a good long look at the Street Triple RS. It’ll do virtually everything you ask of it, except perhaps off road. Dont be initially put off by the ‘sporty’ riding position, once on the move the actual wind helps relieve the weight on your wrists and it aint so bad. They are an easy machine for new riders(as are the others in your list), but as you grow in confidence and want to go a bit quicker, and believe me you will, then the RS will go with you. Some of the others on your list wont IMO. The RS is as quick as you’ll ever need on the road. And sound wise, which you have alluded to, get a can on it and a triple is epic, as is the induction roar.

Anyway, take each of your potentials out for at least half a day test rides. A quick squirt up the local dual carriageway will tell you nothing. Go on different roads, smooth and rough, and see which feels right. But do try to go the same route on each bike so you are comparing like with like.

Enjoy the journey like LTF has and we will see you in 6 months when you are planning another change. Unless you get the RS of course

Stuart