closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 71 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,550 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Craftsman
    Anyone out next Sunday, Ride 100 London Essex?

Quote Originally Posted by wallyuk View Post
    Anyone out next Sunday, Ride 100 London Essex?
    Avoid it like the plague, full of people who have never learned to ride in a group properly and there are always far too many accidents due to dick moves by riders lacking in judgement and skills.
    I知 sure it痴 a great day out for many but i値l stick to riding abroad for mass entry entry events (like Flanders sportive) where the standard of group riding and spatial awareness is far higher.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Avoid it like the plague, full of people who have never learned to ride in a group properly and there are always far too many accidents due to dick moves by riders lacking in judgement and skills.
    I知 sure it痴 a great day out for many but i値l stick to riding abroad for mass entry entry events (like Flanders sportive) where the standard of group riding and spatial awareness is far higher.
    Organisers have introduced a 22 mph max limit too! Whats that all about?

Master
    I think they've binned that now as 'a misprint'.

Sounded rather odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    I think they've binned that now as 'a misprint'.

Sounded rather odd.

I think it was a bit misquoted... because there are rolling road closures, no one is allowed to overtake the lead car which will travel at a speed appropriate to the conditions... or something like that - seeing as 99.9% of the riders won't even see the front vehicle I don't think it's an issue!

I'm a bit like MrSmith and will be avoiding the mass start ride (although I practically live on the route) but this thread has just alerted me to the Women's Tour events which almost go past my road on the Friday! Think I'll ride over to North Hill and show my support!

Grand Master
    I joined the 100 a few years back as it swept out west and up and over boxhill and the riders were horrendous in the main, uncoordinated and spacially inept, was very glad to be out of it and back to riding solo
    RIAC

Restored Raleigh Road Ace

I rode a Raleigh Road Ace back in the 80's not at any great level but I had some great fun on it and have fond memories of the bike before family, kids, work etc etc took precedence. Then last year I had a chance to get my hands on this old Road Ace frame in need of some love. So i had it taken back to bare metal, painted, and found some 80's running gear for it. I finally got it all (nearly) assembled this weekend and went for a short test ride.

It has: Brooks saddle, Cinelli bars and stem, Shimano 600 groupset and wheels less the brake callipers which are Shimano RX100. At present it weighs just under a Kg more than my Carbon Colnago. Just need to tidy up the bar tape and sort out bidon carriers and then it'll be good for some summer biking.

Before:

Now:

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by den77 View Post
    I rode a Raleigh Road Ace back in the 80's not at any great level but I had some great fun on it and have fond memories of the bike before family, kids, work etc etc took precedence. Then last year I had a chance to get my hands on this old Road Ace frame in need of some love. So i had it taken back to bare metal, painted, and found some 80's running gear for it. I finally got it all (nearly) assembled this weekend and went for a short test ride.

It has: Brooks saddle, Cinelli bars and stem, Shimano 600 groupset and wheels less the brake callipers which are Shimano RX100. At present it weighs just under a Kg more than my Carbon Colnago. Just need to tidy up the bar tape and sort out bidon carriers and then it'll be good for some summer biking.

Before:

Now:

Great upcycle
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    That looks fantastic den77 - I'm very envious!

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    That's good to know. I'll be doing the 100 this Sunday to take up my friend's place who signed up but can't make it. I'll be in the last wave so hopefully has less people who fancy themselves as racers. Will be extra careful nonetheless.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Before:

Now:

I run a small repair workshop and had a Raleigh Record Ace from the late 70痴 / early 80痴 to revamp a couple of months back. Nice little project

Raleigh Record Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    I run a small repair workshop and had a Raleigh Record Ace from the late 70’s / early 80’s to revamp a couple of months back. Nice little project…

Raleigh Record Ace
    Nice little project indeed. I must admit the downtube shifters have been interesting to get reacquainted with but, the simplicity of friction shifting and the engagement needed to ride an older bike has meant a new side to enjoying my outdoor rides. There doesn't seem to be so much head down blasting away as there is on my modern bikes.

That Peugeot computer looks amazing on that Record Ace.

That's a lovely looking Pegoretti you have, does it ride as well as I have heard they do?
    Last edited by den77; 24th May 2022 at 20:33.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    That's good to know. I'll be doing the 100 this Sunday to take up my friend's place who signed up but can't make it. I'll be in the last wave so hopefully has less people who fancy themselves as racers. Will be extra careful nonetheless.

Ignore all the snobby comments it's a great day out albeit a PITA logistically.

Every mass participation event I've ever done has it's fair share of bell-ends who think it's a race but keep out of their way and you'll be fine.

Done it once but would happily do it again.

I did the Surrey Hills version a couple of years ago. Nice to tick off but the start logistics were a pain and the whole thing ground to a halt a couple of times following crashes on the hills. Wouldn't do it again.

Grand Master
    I think that when you are paying 」90 for a bike ride it needs to be special. I can ride a stress free century anytime for free and on the right day and route ill have plenty of company.
    RIAC

Nice little project indeed. I must admit the downtube shifters have been interesting to get reacquainted with but, the simplicity of friction shifting and the engagement needed to ride an older bike has meant a new side to enjoying my outdoor rides. There doesn't seem to be so much head down blasting away as there is on my modern bikes.

That Peugeot computer looks amazing on that Record Ace.

That's a lovely looking Pegoretti you have, does it ride as well as I have heard they do?

The computer was brilliant... it was like having an early laptop on your handlebars. Managed to get it working but couldn't fathom out what it was actually measuring!

I love my Pegoretti... it's hand painted by the man himself a couple of years before he died - the finish is called Ciavete which I was told translates to 'f*&^ you' in the Italian dialect he spoke. Basically, Dario painted it whatever colour and design he felt like on the day he got round to doing it. You had no input and no right of return!

It rides beautifully - just the right combination of response and comfort. I keep thinking about putting my name down for another one... maybe a Responsorium for my 50th!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Ignore all the snobby comments it's a great day out albeit a PITA logistically.

Every mass participation event I've ever done has it's fair share of bell-ends who think it's a race but keep out of their way and you'll be fine.

Done it once but would happily do it again.
    Thanks. That's my plan was well. Just going to go for a ride and enjoy the day. Hopefully not too many accidents on the road either.

It'll also be my first century having only done a few metric centuries before. Been training and planned out a strategy though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    Thanks. That's my plan was well. Just going to go for a ride and enjoy the day. Hopefully not too many accidents on the road either.

It'll also be my first century having only done a few metric centuries before. Been training and planned out a strategy though.

Good luck and let us know how you get on 👍

A few tips...

The wannabe racers are usually on the right side of the road so bear that in mind.

Always check over your shoulder before changing line to overtake etc.

Assume anyone you are following won't do the above!

Enjoy!

Master
    Another: be very wary of who you are on the wheel of and who follows you. Mainly the former. Hang back until you think they're steady / not a lunatic.

Master
    I did the Ride 100 in 2019, I was amazed to see people go for it straight away. Groups coming past with someone on the back looking like they are breathing through their arse and sweating so much.

Did see the point, I had a cheeky person behind me and ended up pulling them along, he did say thank you when he came past.

Was a good ride and able to do some nice routes, some quick down hill sections and getting to them seemed that some people, as mentioned above, ran out of talent lent or thought they were on a Grand Tour...

Just still to your pace and enjoy it.

But I will say the later part, not sure if this is the same, you get the fun day riders join you and this can seem a little crazy we them not knowing how to be on the bike etc.

Just need to do the 2 mile swim now to get the London Classics medal and the full set.

Have turned to Gravel riding now and so don't own a road bike anymore, as found riding on the road was being a little more close too many times.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burton View Post
    I did the Ride 100 in 2019,

Have turned to Gravel riding now and so don't own a road bike anymore, as found riding on the road was being a little more close too many times.
    Good to hear you are enjoying gravel riding. Have you heard of the glorious gravel sportifs?

https://gloriousgravel.com/

I bumped into one about six weeks ago in Wales, then whilst camping in North Yorks last week they had another event there.

Master

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Good to hear you are enjoying gravel riding. Have you heard of the glorious gravel sportifs?

https://gloriousgravel.com/

I bumped into one about six weeks ago in Wales, then whilst camping in North Yorks last week they had another event there.
    I did the Suffolk event the last month, was tough on the way back with the wind! Needed to train more for it as the sand zapped me!

Was happy to have completed it and on to more training, but a little slower as have covid and family life has gotten in the way.

Picture of the bike

Last edited by burton; 27th May 2022 at 16:07.

Master
    Nice looking bike. Those look like the Ritchey venturemax handlebars - how do you find them? I bought one but haven稚 fitted it yet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Nice looking bike. Those look like the Ritchey venturemax handlebars - how do you find them? I bought one but haven稚 fitted it yet.
    Thanks, I am pretty happy with the setup now, was lucky to get a custom frame and paint on this bike, built the rest from the previous bike but everything has been swapped out now except the bars.

Which are Venturemax, good spot, I love them. Really good bars with the right amount of flare to allow you to feel comfortable and confident when descending and in a tuck.

These are 44cm wide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burton View Post
    Thanks, I am pretty happy with the setup now, was lucky to get a custom frame and paint on this bike, built the rest from the previous bike but everything has been swapped out now except the bars.

Which are Venturemax, good spot, I love them. Really good bars with the right amount of flare to allow you to feel comfortable and confident when descending and in a tuck.

These are 44cm wide

Great to know, thanks. I went for the 42 due to my shoulders being a bit iffy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Great to know, thanks. I went for the 42 due to my shoulders being a bit iffy.
    No worries, I went for 44cm as that痴 my width still and also means can still ride narrow routes etc where I live

The computer was brilliant... it was like having an early laptop on your handlebars. Managed to get it working but couldn't fathom out what it was actually measuring!

I love my Pegoretti... it's hand painted by the man himself a couple of years before he died - the finish is called Ciavete which I was told translates to 'f*&^ you' in the Italian dialect he spoke. Basically, Dario painted it whatever colour and design he felt like on the day he got round to doing it. You had no input and no right of return!

It rides beautifully - just the right combination of response and comfort. I keep thinking about putting my name down for another one... maybe a Responsorium for my 50th!
    Good call you should definitely get one for your 50th! I must admit to thinking about getting a MXXXXXO for my 60th they are such lovely looking frames.

I have a Duende, had it since 2007. got Dario to repaint and fit a new fork (Falz) after i sent it back for a repair a couple of years ago.
    I wouldn稚 swap it for anything, it痴 the best riding bike i have ever swung a leg over, but you know that already ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Good luck and let us know how you get on 汨
    Thanks Simon.

RideLondon Essex 100 went fairly well. Felt quite strong for the first half but the second was more difficult as it went. My saddle didn't help and now I want a new saddle and a new arse Thinking about getting the Brooks C17 for any ride over 60 miles in the future.

Also had a very slow puncture right after the midway point. After pumping it up it would be ok for another 20 miles then would need topping up. Thankfully my 32c tyre was more or less fine with less pressure. Did throw a bit of a wrench into the plan though. In hindsight I suppose I could've changed the tube instead of stopping to pump every 20 miles.

The event itself was ok. As lots of people have said it's not very organised. Long waits before the start and so many people with bikes in not very good conditions and/or haven't done much training. It was way too many people which made it very crowded until the 60 miles crowd broke off at around the 30 mile mark. After that it was ok. The overall atmosphere was very good though. Lots of the Essex folks sat outside and cheered us on.

It's definitely more of a casual sportive or for people who want to attempt a century for the first time. If you're a more serious cyclist and still want to try it, make sure you're not in the later waves which had a lot more casual riders in the fray.

https://youtu.be/bmnW3qjnKGc

I've been waiting for a new 840, but might have to take the plunge on this. Battery life in my old 820 is virtually pointless these days....

Will Garmin change the battery for you? Is there any right to repair?

I have never liked these gadgets with "permanent" batteries. The batteries normally fail long before the gadget. There are fewer choices though as manufacturers push us towards this.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    典his video has been removed by the uploader.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    https://youtu.be/bmnW3qjnKGc

I've been waiting for a new 840, but might have to take the plunge on this. Battery life in my old 820 is virtually pointless these days....

Unless you're really wedded to the Garmin ecosystem then I'd also check out some of the competition. I moved to Wahoo after my last Garmin died and I'm much happier with it - the whole experience is head and shoulders above where Garmin was at the time with its bike offerings.
    Hammerhead is another make which is gaining ground as well.

Master
    Unless you're really wedded to the Garmin ecosystem then I'd also check out some of the competition. I moved to Wahoo after my last Garmin died and I'm much happier with it - the whole experience is head and shoulders above where Garmin was at the time with its bike offerings.
    Hammerhead is another make which is gaining ground as well.
    This ^^^^^ another garmin to Wahoo convert. Garmin was too buggy for me. Wahoo just does everything I ask of it.

Master
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/06/...th-review.html

FWIW, im using an 830 and it's been trouble free with at least 15 hours battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/06/...th-review.html

FWIW, im using an 830 and it's been trouble free with at least 15 hours battery life.
    So it's launched at last! I am pretty wedded to the Garmin ecosystem and although the 1040 Solar is an impressive bit of kit I've order the standard 1040. Looking forward to taking it for a spin over the weekend.

Master
    After a long-but-worth-it wait, my Filament frame is back from Ali and Bex. Nearly finished chucking it all back together.

Edit: and now complete

Last edited by Bondurant; 26th June 2022 at 13:20.

Master
    Not ground breaking repairs but pleased to have disassembled, freed up and rebuilt a sticky free hub on my daughters Specaized
    Bought it a few weeks ago for 」50- Guy said the chain was slipping all the time - Google to the rescue

Craftsman
    I installed fancy pants 12 speed on my MTB surprisingly smoothly and two rides in, it's ace.

I weighed my Thorn eXp touring/expedition bike with a pair of empty Carradice panniers on the back. 20Kg. That should give the weight weenies palpitations!

Craftsman
    I have a Subway Nexus 8 speed hub geared and hub braked bike with Carradice long flap on an aluminium front fork carrier mount. With the Bordo lock on the bike frame and Schwalbe marathon plus tyres - it too has a gravitational pull. Perfect pub bike though.

Started getting back out on a bike in January, having not really been on one much since student days. I bought a cheapie 2nd hand (Carrera something, a few years old and not really the right size for me), just to see how much I enjoyed being out riding. Short version is, I rather like it, so next stage of plan is now to be actioned! (Long version is, I became a (fairly middling) runner about 5 years ago in my mid-40s, and I definitely like cycling as an adjunct to that to stay fit and get outside.)

The plan?

Well, as of today I became the actual owner of a Brompton I bought through Cyclescheme at my previous employer. I don't need a commuter/folding bike, and realistically I didn't get as much use out of it as I should have done when I worked in London. I now work from home, and while I've used it a bit here and there to potter around on, I actually want a nice road bike to blat around on. So, first question for the floor: where are the best places to try and flog it? (I'll be putting it on SC here, but I'm looking for other options as well.)

Second stage of that is to then use the raised cash to buy a better road bike (as well as flogging the cheapie I bought in Jan to add to it). I'm not going uber-serious, so I'm probably looking at a budget of say 」600-」900 to buy something. I'm interested if anyone has any recommendations of what to look at? I've been reading around and looking at reviews, and current favourites are a Boardman SLR 8.8 or a Triban RC500 or RC520 (availability might be an issue with all of those, though, given the global supply chain issues). Any thoughts, experiences or ideas that anyone would care to share?

Thanks for any and all input!

(Oh, and yes, I am something of a cliche: middle-aged man suddenly starts running and cycling when he realises that his youth has thoroughly deserted him. I'm aware and not that fussed, I do it because I enjoy it, and there are definitely fitness/health benefits that are worthwhile at this stage of life. I have no intention of trying to become a racer or do mad rides/runs.)
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman
    I have a Brompton, also bought on C2W. They are ace, but you are set on a road bike. Your Brompton is very much in demand and their prices have steady climbed northwards. You will have no problem selling here. I sell bike stuff on Singletrack World, which is an MTB forum and free to join. Just be sensible.

Personally I ride a Decathlon road bike for Triathlons and recently the Essex-London 100 and they are hard to beat for money and warranty is top notch.

Master
    Triban are very good value, doubt you would go too far wrong. The choice at that budget would be between rim brakes or mechanical discs. I have no experience of the latter but I understand that they aren't much cop when compared to hydraulics. So rim brakes might be the better option.

I expect others with more knowledge of how both compare could chime in.

I wanted a Brompton, but their rules used to be that you had to visit one of their dealers to buy one. I assumed that this was to upsell you some accessories, but I was told that it was for safety reasons (?). Along came the corona virus and the rules changed. A lot of people were buying them up and selling them on eBay for ridiculous amounts, especially into the Japanese market. All of the bikes are fairly readily available off the shelf now, except special editions. I didn't buy one in the end as so few people were willing to ship them, but also because my circumstances changed. I had intended that the bike was to be part of a multi-modal commute, but that is not necessary now.

My advice is to offer to ship it. I think that Royal Mail charge about 」30.

Quote Originally Posted by wallyuk View Post
    I have a Brompton, also bought on C2W. They are ace, but you are set on a road bike. Your Brompton is very much in demand and their prices have steady climbed northwards. You will have no problem selling here. I sell bike stuff on Singletrack World, which is an MTB forum and free to join. Just be sensible.

Personally I ride a Decathlon road bike for Triathlons and recently the Essex-London 100 and they are hard to beat for money and warranty is top notch.
    The Brompton is fun to ride, but I live out in the the countryside, it's just not what I need to ride around on.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    Not really feeling it today due to hay-fever killing my eyes, nose and chest but too nice not to go out so a gentle potter about in the sun:

Craftsman

My 3rd longest ride today. I keep saying 的値l do 100km in a few weeks. I致e been saying it for about 2 years!

Good effort, but I thought the North was way hillier than that!

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Good effort, but I thought the North was way hillier than that!

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk
    Oh it can be! I deliberately chose a flat one today, I just wanted to get some distance. Here痴 a hilly one last year