closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Omega x Swatch

They are well very executed novelty Speedmasters, with a range of designs between Dope and WTF. I like Speedmasters and I like things that are a bit of fun so there are a couple I'd have in a heartbeat if they were easily accessible, but they are definitely not worth getting one's knickers in a twist over or paying over the odds for. Most of us on here are going to find they feel rather insubstantial in relation to the size. They are cool but they ain't no Moonwatch.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    You'd be mobbed, it would be pandemonium. Women would faint and men would play you solos until they fell.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Craftsman
    Carnaby Street store has apparently just closed due to security concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    The store will now be closed until next week.

Master
    Just walked past Edinburgh store. 200 watches arrived, 1,000+ people queuing from shop up to Rose St and along Rose St past Castle St. Cripes!

Should have given tickets to first 200 whatever queuers early on.

Craftsman
    Will let this all calm down and go down when they're getting the next lot in hopefully.

Glad I didn't have the chance to go down as wouldn't have got one and would have been a nightmare to be stuck in all that!

just saw these..love a swatch..

Swatch social media accounts saying all the London stores now closed "for health & safety measures"...

I should bleedin' coco!

Well they've certainly planned and managed this spectacularly badly!

Master
    I thought the modern youths were supposed to be the most enlightened for generations but the fact they get so wrapped up in influencer bullshit just makes me laugh honestly.

Journeyman
    It’s really going to kick off when they release the flic and flak edition.

There are an estimated 10 trillion planets in the universe. Should keep even Omega sated for Moonswatch editions for a while.
    Hahahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Just walked past Edinburgh store. 200 watches arrived, 1,000+ people queuing from shop up to Rose St and along Rose St past Castle St. Cripes!
    It's heaving in Edinburgh this morning.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Tell me your joking???

London, innit!

Journeyman
    Can't imagine how the people who queued overnight are feeling

Quote Originally Posted by faken View Post
    Can't imagine how the people who queued overnight are feeling
    They don’t know what time it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Tell me your joking???
    Nope. Saw these 3 youths trying to physically take a spot of the guy at the front of the queue. Then just waiting at the front with no respect to the queue.

Craftsman
    Mate in Covent Garden just sent pic of notice on Window. Store will be closed for day. Yet people are still queuing.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlynch1984 View Post
    Nope. Saw these 3 youths trying to physically take a spot of the guy at the front of the queue. Then just waiting at the front with no respect to the queue.

You sure they weren't just asking the chap to hold their spot while they dashed to the toilet? Gentleman's rules and all that.

Blog Entries
    The queue for this in Amsterdam is incredible. It's not a queue anymore... it's havoc! A friend is trying to get in and he sent me a vid. That's not funny anymore!

Last edited by Rocket Man; 26th March 2022 at 12:37.

This whole sorry farrago could have been managed SO much better. Instead, Swatch utterly failed to anticipate how popular an iconic watch rendered attractively and cheaply would be. Even when it instantly hit ebay days before launch and spiralled up to insane prices - nothing!

The scalping alone drives more demand, 'cos suddenly everyone's a scalper, and word spreads virally.

On the day they were announced I contacted the nearest Swatch dealer to me (Pearces, Melton Mowbray) to express interest - they got straight back to me: at that moment they hadn't even been contacted by Swatch to let them know this watch was imminent!

Then we hear just 100 - 200 watches per store!

And only when the ordure-has-impacted-the-air-distributor do they start to make it clear this will be available in unlimited numbers online, so 'nobody panic'.

Rumours on social media that arrests were made in London... For a £200 plastic trinket...

I mean, I like plastic trinkets, not least this one, but this is a woeful mix of insanity and incompetence.

Just saw a YouTube unboxing. Maybe it was just a poorly shot video but in the ‘plastic’ the watch looked underwhelming.

Craftsman
    Update from Zürich: Walked past on my way to lunch. Much quieter. Asked a member of staff what’s happening; “sold out in 90 minutes”. At least 100 stood in a queue, with people joining at the back.

Doesn’t look like luxury to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Marketing masterclass from Swatch. Very smart.

Those queues look horrendous - peoples capacity to inconvenience themselves to that extent will never fail to amaze me. I do hope a few of the watches actually end up in the hands of enthusiasts though (unlikely I know, but one can hope).
    Ffs all the enthusiasts have to do is wait till June and hit buy and go to checkout on the web store.

Mass insanity is occurring - no other reason for it. Selling for thousands on eBay or buy at retail brand new in June for £200? No brainer.

Imagine the carnage if they'd found out there was a steel sports Rolex available to buy!

I'd imagine quite a few of the pre order eBay scalpers are going to be disappointed lol

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    One just went on the Bay for £5100.00 another is at £5900.00 probably shill bidding but nevertheless total madness reckon i will wait to give one a try
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman
    I think they look really cool. I have never been a fan of the moon watch as I find the design a bit bland for me. But in these colours they look really cool and at £200 odd a pop, a nice little “toy”.

I live in London so luckily have access to two Swatch shops. Not going to brave the crowds so will probably wait a few months and see if I can walk in and get one.

If any members get one, will be great to see some live Photos!

BW,
    Chi Kai

Craftsman
    Sold out in Edinburgh 15 mins ago

I'm holding out for the SeaSwatch 300cm

I'm holding out for the SeaSwatch 300cm
    Don't you mean Sweamaster?

300cm is excellent!

Master
    Let's keep it real! Having watched some 'Tube unboxings, £207 is quite expensive for what you get; looks really cheap plastic.

Last edited by J J Carter; 26th March 2022 at 13:16.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    One just went on the Bay for £5100.00 another is at £5900.00 probably shill bidding but nevertheless total madness reckon i will wait to give one a try
    None of this madness is about watches. It’s about money. Just like when crowds physically fight over the cheap TV in Black Friday sales. I assume there are a lot of people out there with little income, minimum wage, and will fight over the chance to make a couple of hundred quid. I think this is what Swatch underestimated.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    None of this madness is about watches. It’s about money. Just like when crowds physically fight over the cheap TV in Black Friday sales. I assume there are a lot of people out there with little income, minimum wage, and will fight over the chance to make a couple of hundred quid. I think this is what Swatch underestimated.
    Bingo. Seems to be a modern phenomenon.. people wanting to make money doing nothing other than acquiring a new / uncommon item and flip it for profit. I watch some videos on sneaker collectors and frankly it’s laughable. Nike must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Grand Master
    Can`t believe what I`m reading, the watches look like plastic replicas, yet folks are fighting to own them. I find the space theme a bit pathetic, these things are just cheap tacky tat.

Clearly, it's all about money and making a quick profit, sad to see but that's the power of the internet.

Edit: 20 mins before scheduled opening time, the shop will not open - by order of the police. The event is cancelled today.
    Unreal that it's come to that, feel bad for the genuine fans queuing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlynch1984 View Post
    I don’t think it will be worth it. You got a lot of local youths, pushing in… lots of people inviting their friends in the queue. Ain’t gonna happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    The last time I went to queue outside a shop was curry's many years ago, around 5 minutes before the store opened a load of people arrived in cars and joined their mates/family members who where supposedly holding their place, never again do I want to get involved with those type of scumbags even if it is worth a grand. I will wait until they are available and order online at retail price.
    People have no decency, it's gross. Problem is these days even calling people out for it does nothing because they simply don't care, in their heads they're in the right.

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    These guys are about to discover they’re not available in the Omega boutique.
    That's hilarious, got to wonder how they screwed that up so badly. It's not like the locations were kept secret! Perhaps they've all just been inspired to go buy Speedmasters by the MoonSwatch hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Ah feel the luxury with every jostle, shove of the anxious crowd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
    Doesn’t look like luxury to me.
    Nor is it being promoted or sold as luxury. It's a £200 Swatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatco1800es View Post
    Watches trading already in the Edinburgh queue. Person next to my son just paid £600 for a Mission to Mars. He also says loads of people have arrived to join their mates in front of him so the chances are reducing.
    That queue jumping would have me livid. Glad I didn't make the trip this morning, was tempted but guessed it would go nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    This whole sorry farrago could have been managed SO much better. Instead, Swatch utterly failed to anticipate how popular an iconic watch rendered attractively and cheaply would be. Even when it instantly hit ebay days before launch and spiralled up to insane prices - nothing!
    How so? Presumably they sold the stock they had. Are Swatch responsible if people are arrested for committing crimes? Personal accountability comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    The one thing that stands out for me is the difference between all these "queues" where people are looking to make a few quid off of a bit of disposable plastic, and the dignified and orderly queues of refugees fleeing from Ukraine attempting to save their own lives and the lives of their families.
    It's sad isn't it. That said, there's always the minority % that just lacks decency and only has a mind for themselves. It's even more sad in truly desperate situations, at least here people are only screwing each other over for a Swatch. Having done a bit of work with refugees (not Ukraine), the vast majority are good people in hard times and very grateful for support, supplies etc. But there's always that small minority who are happy to screw over others with nothing if it means they can get more for themselves. I genuinely found this the hardest thing to deal with, it's so mentally draining.

Spot on...for some poor devils every day has become Black Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Bingo. Seems to be a modern phenomenon.. people wanting to make money doing nothing other than acquiring a new / uncommon item and flip it for profit. I watch some videos on sneaker collectors and frankly it’s laughable. Nike must be laughing all the way to the bank.
    Let's not be too unfair; it is fundamentally how capitalism works.

I suspect the unit cost of these will be about $30

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Let's not be too unfair; it is fundamentally how capitalism works.

I suspect the unit cost of these will be about $30

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    I wondered about the unit cost, figured maybe 20 quid so similar ball park.

Somebody commented these thing're not promoted or sold as luxury but the pricing vs production costs suggests at least an element of the thinking at play when folk 'justify' other luxury purchases, just an observation, otherwise how else can a 10 x markup be justified on a plastic toy watch...and they've got Omega printed on them after all...so aren't they positioned as offering a taste of affordable luxury.
    Last edited by Passenger; 26th March 2022 at 13:38.

What’s income got to do with it? People are turning a profit every day on Rolex, Patek and VC. But apparently these people are shrewd, financially savvy, in it for the love of the watch etc…..

Those people fighting over a 200 quid swatch are no different than those it’s just easier to look down on the Swatch crowd.

Best video of the madness I've seen so far.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cbjpn6Fu2Wa/

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    I'd suggest it is the same as any non-productive asset. They're banking on someone in the future wanting to pay them more than they did for the same item.

Like those holding gold or crypto. Buy now, sell for more later.

(Ignoring the active traders of course).

Craftsman
    London Oxford street was shut by the police just after 10.00am. They are going to try an open again tomorrow but didn’t know what time.

Craftsman
    This is the only on wrist picture I have seen and to me it looks great.

Master
    That looks great to me. But no way would I join that lunacy. Put the watches on sale at all dealers on the same day. No queueing allowed or issue place tickets. Even better, online and in person at the same time. Well done Omega. You achieved max publicity for a cheap item. All that effort promoting 007 and special editions and all it needed was a plastic watch. Rolex et al must be furious they've missed out. Don't believe they want exclusivity. It's like BMW vs Mercedes vs Audi. They all want that consumer spend.

Craftsman
    Yep, that looks great fun. That or the solar. Bring on the online ordering!

Quote Originally Posted by Boxsash View Post
    This is the only on wrist picture I have seen and to me it looks great.

It sure does, I think they did a superb job on these. Will look forward to buying a his and hers later in the year.

Craftsman
    I didn't hear about this until yesterday when my brother told me he was planning on coming down to London.

I told him about the ebay sales, the people queueing that I learnt from this thread and told him to not bother. He is very, very pleased he didn't.

So I have a 'reduced' which I love, and I regard the Speedmaster as the most iconic watch to be produced...so I was tempted by these. As a more useful beater I can wear daily. Neptune, Mercury, Pluto all appealed.

I have to travel through London next weekend, so if I am lucky everything will have calmed down a little and I might pop in and get one. Otherwise, online it is.