closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Omega x Swatch

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Edinburgh.. I just walked the queue. Up Frederick street, along rise street, up castle street and now on to George street.
    Most of that is 4 deep.

McDonald’s then home for me and the lad !
    This is the sad thing, people that genuinely want them and want to include/introduce their children into the hobby will be really put off by this from scalpers.

Best guess, 500+ queuing at Lausanne in queue over 200m long. Police controlling the crowds. Stores opened before 9:30 it seems. Absolute madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Swatch Japan have posted a note on their Twitter saying they will give tickets to those arriving at the stores when they open but not to anyone queuing up beforehand. There is still a massive queue. One local has tweeted he wants to talk to people in the queue, but he can’t as they are all Chinese

https://twitter.com/nora_na119/statu...900412928?s=21

Edit: they are now giving out lottery-style tickets and will make the draw before opening. Lucky ticket, you can enter.
    Good luck if one of the lucky 10

The madness of crowds alive and well.

There is a question of how many of those madly inflated prices on ebay will actually get paid. I can see a lot of them simply being inflated using disposable accounts to mess up the scalpers.

Today though, I'm wearing my windy-up Moonwatch prominently, so people think I'm an influencer that's paid £50k for a watch...

Journeyman
    A small part of me likes all this craziness as its about time another brand has a bit of a buzz around it. Rolex/AP/PP usually have all the lime light regardless of what other brands do.

Honesty the funniest strangest most bizarre piece of WIS retail news I’ve ever seen. Hysteria over a swatch. Just bonkers. Bet it makes the news

Credit to Omega/Swatch and their marketing teams for getting such a buzz around this a week before the more seriously unobtainable stuff is revealed next week. I love the playful nature of the moonswatch and will definitely buy one or two once the hype has settled down. It will be a cool thing to add to my small collection.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    That's the thing - you don't know what the outcome of a confrontation will be................ until it suddenly goes wrong.

A group of (say) 4 guys - and you're standing in the way of them making a few hundred quid?
    Most including myself will not challenge this scenario, it is just not worth it especially for a plastic watch.

Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    Most including myself will not challenge this scenario, it is just not worth it especially for a plastic watch.
    I guess it makes a big difference depending on your motivation for being there.

If you're there to buy a £200 watch at launch rather than wait a couple of months, you'll likely have a different attitude to those that are there looking to make a few hundred or even a few thousand pounds profit and don't care if they are doing so off of watches, toilet rolls or cocaine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Today though, I'm wearing my windy-up Moonwatch prominently, so people think I'm an influencer that's paid £50k for a watch...
    I was wearing my X-33 (I had set the alarm for 8:30am… didn’t want to get there too late ) but quite discreetly I thought.

While talking to a gentleman in the queue, who had been there since 6am and was an employee of JAXA, I heard someone else in the queue keep saying “Ex, Ex, Ex!” and pointing in my direction. I genuinely did that “looking behind me to see what they are pointing at” thing a couple of times.

Then I realised, he meant my X-33, which he had spotted beneath my cuff. I showed him, and his girlfriend actually clapped.

There's some great, but I suspect somewhat disappointed, Speedmaster fans in Japan.

More hilarous Edinburgh’s stock was delivered to the wrong address on Thursday
    10 paltry boxes, left in the shop across the road.

My cousin is in the queue in London and reports 1000s queuing, the queue itself is degenerating and police are on the scene.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeli View Post
    Currently around 400 odd in the queue, it’s now round onto Rose Street.
    Well that’s my decision made! Think I’ll go for a walk to the park instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The next time I’m in Edinburgh, if they’re in stock, I’ll get both the Mercury and Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    My cousin is in the queue in London and reports 1000s queuing, the queue itself is degenerating and police are on the scene.
    Oh dear, we used to be respected for our ability to queue.

Job done re the marketing, might as well open the online shop right now, even if delivery takes a while.

It’s one thing having a queue, it’s another having the police called in Sydney, Tokyo and UK. And the US hasn’t opened yet.

The queue in Amsterdam 15 mins before opening…

I was going to go down early, but central line part closed. Had a friend who did, there from about 7 and no chance at any of the London stores.

Carnaby st:

Covent Garden

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    I was going to go down early, but central line part closed. Had a friend who did, there from about 7 and no chance at any of the London stores.

Carnaby st:

Covent Garden
    Good to see Covent Garden queuing in the style that people expect the British to queue rather than the rabble that is Carnaby Street.

Stiff upper lip and queue neatly in a line.

The one thing that stands out for me is the difference between all these "queues" where people are looking to make a few quid off of a bit of disposable plastic, and the dignified and orderly queues of refugees fleeing from Ukraine attempting to save their own lives and the lives of their families.

Seems like it is actually a marketing stroke of genuine by Omega & Swatch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    These are going to be super spreader events too.

Good luck to those getting one but if they will be online soon as mentioned I think I’ll wait.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Seems like it is actually a marketing stroke of genuine by Omega & Swatch.
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeli View Post
    Good to see Covent Garden queuing in the style that people expect the British to queue rather than the rabble that is Carnaby Street.

Stiff upper lip and queue neatly in a line.
    Perhaps more forrin tourists in Covent Gdn

Less of a queue in Moscow

My IG stream is positively throbbing with the event. Belgium and China are also experiencing long queues.

The shots from successful purchasers do show nice packaging and the watches themselves look very smart. There is some sniping from traditional Speedy owners, poo-pooing the plastic.

But it's obvious Swatch / Omega have a huge hit on their hands as you can have a genuine lookalikey for very little money.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Journeyman
    Gotta feel sorry for the staff in the shops. I’m imagining a hectic morning with rude, exasperated customers complaining that they didn’t get a moon watch after coming all the way down there.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Less of a queue in Moscow

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Craftsman
    Queue jumpers at Covent Garden apparently. So glad I decided against heading down.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Marketing masterclass from Swatch. Very smart.

Those queues look horrendous - peoples capacity to inconvenience themselves to that extent will never fail to amaze me. I do hope a few of the watches actually end up in the hands of enthusiasts though (unlikely I know, but one can hope).

These guys are about to discover they’re not available in the Omega boutique.

Master
    I went to a fight and sales of Moonswatches broke out

Master
    Those queues tell me one thing - the Moonswatch is magical and game-changing

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    I went to a fight and sales of Moonswatches broke out
    I assume they don't know there's only 150 in stock?

I can't imagine waiting in a queue like that for any luxury item.

I might pick a couple up if they go online, not getting involved in the scrum and instead am having a coffee overlooking the park while wearing my 145.0022-78.

Master
    I stopped my son going down as I said it would be pointless. It's actually pretty funny given they are not limited editions. Some swatch designs do have very long lifespans as current stock so if the demand is there they will churn them out for a fair while.

Quote Originally Posted by doogan View Post
    I assume they don't know there's only 150 in stock?

I can't imagine waiting in a queue like that for any luxury item.
    Ah feel the luxury with every jostle, shove of the anxious crowd.

Honestly

Victory the marketing bods.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I stopped my son going down as I said it would be pointless. It's actually pretty funny given they are not limited editions. Some swatch designs do have very long lifespans as current stock so if the demand is there they will churn them out for a fair while.
    There are an estimated 10 trillion planets in the universe. Should keep even Omega sated for Moonswatch editions for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Bonkers, love how only the people at the front of the queue got uptight about being filmed and nobody else cared.

How hilarious would it be if Swatch surprised everybody by making them available online at the same time with enough stock for everyone. Not THAT would be marketing genius!!!
    Last edited by Tetlee; 26th March 2022 at 10:57.

Master
    On the Scottish watch group on FB, they’re saying the Edinburgh store only had 200 to sell, so a lot of unhappy campers (literally) on their way home empty handed.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Lots of gangs there even at 6:00. Wrapped in balaclava intimidating people at front of queue

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Ah feel the luxury with every jostle, shove of the anxious crowd.

Honestly

Victory the marketing bods.
    The marketing bods do seem to be blessed with a very stupid public at present, just ask the bods at Rolex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlynch1984 View Post
    Lots of gangs there even at 6:00. Wrapped in balaclava intimidating people at front of queue

All for. £200 non limited run watch. Madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    ...his girlfriend actually clapped.
    That's it, I'm packing my bags.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    On the Scottish watch group on FB, they’re saying the Edinburgh store only had 200 to sell, so a lot of unhappy campers (literally) on their way home empty handed.
    And at least 120 of the 200 were booby prizes.

Looked like over 1k in the queue waiting.

Craftsman
    Watches trading already in the Edinburgh queue. Person next to my son just paid £600 for a Mission to Mars. He also says loads of people have arrived to join their mates in front of him so the chances are reducing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The marketing bods do seem to be blessed with a very stupid public at present, just ask the bods at Rolex.
    It´s apparently very difficult to persuade people who´ve been the victims of a con to accept they were conned, it can be quite tough on the old self image, after all it takes a strong identity to come to terms with such, who wants to admit they´ve been made a fool of...see also recentish significant political decision, but I´ll say no more... I genuinely think we live in a truly wondrous and remarkable time of technologically enhanced opportunity for those peddling seductive, self image enhancing trinkets, other products too, cars is another one...generating madness and fomo among crowds has probably never been easier, people are so easily hacked.
    Last edited by Passenger; 26th March 2022 at 11:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    That's it, I'm packing my bags.
    You'd be mobbed, it would be pandemonium. Women would faint and men would play you solos until they fell.

Best keep those X-33s, Skywalkers and Solar Impulse phylacteries discreetly under wraps, for all our sakes.