closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Offshore Divers - battery replacement recommendations and a bit of history

Offshore Divers - battery replacement recommendations and a bit of history

Afternoon all,

I've been going through my collection recently and need to get a couple of quartz watches batteries changed. Can anyone recommend someone who has the capability to pressure test dive watches? In exchange for your recommendations I thought I would share some pictures of the watches in question, and a bit of there back story.

I've been lucky* enough to work on some of the biggest and best construction and dive vessels in world. Two of them had watchs commissioned with vessel branding. The first was the Skandi Arctic - a 156m dive support vessel, designed for saturation diving and construction operations. The second was the North Sea Giant, a 153m advanced construction vessel. The NSG watch was made to celebrate it's involvement with the first operational subsea compression project at Asgard in the Norwegian sector.

I hope you like them, dust and all!

North Sea Giant

Skandi Arctic

*If you like 84 hour weeks and don't get seasick

If you are interested in what the Åsgard subsea compression project was about - the operator Statoil (now Equinor) described it as: "Imagine that your washing machine had to run the spin cycle all year long—for approximately thirty years. Without any special maintenance or replacement of parts. Then imagine that your washing machine is the size of a football stadium, and that it’s at the bottom of the sea. That’s roughly what Åsgard subsea compression is like."

Last edited by Elwood; 7th February 2022 at 16:52.

Master
    Maybe a bit off topic but I worked on the saturation diving system for the Skandi Singapore DSV.

Cool watches definitely worth getting back up and running. (I too worked for statoil for a bit as a consultant a couple of years ago - on shore though)
    Re changing the battery, it’s easy to do yourself but I don’t know of anyone who could test to 500m. If they are not going to be worn in anger I would change the battery, new seals and a bit of silicone grease and it would be good for everyday wear.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Maybe a bit off topic but I worked on the saturation diving system for the Skandi Singapore DSV.
    Nice, incredible systems. Does the Singapore have the touch screen setup in sat/dive control? I had look around the Arctic's system when it was being commissioned, loved the mood lighting.

Master
    Can't remember now. It was over 10 years ago during the design/initial construction phase, working for DOF. I was more involved with validating the Divex equipment from Cape Town, dive system piping and interfacing with the ST Marine crowd in Singapore, spent a lot of very happy time there.

Have been offshore on the Seawell a few times.

Master
    Wow love them
    Definitely worth the effort

Master
    Sean Yates at https://watchrepair.expert/ can do down to 400m with the equipment he’s got. I’m seeing him this week so could confirm with him if you like ? He’s based in Cheshire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@lewie - Thank you.

@Gomers - That would be great. I think it only needs to be test to around 200m for piece of mind, very interested to hear if he can do it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    @lewie - Thank you.

@Gomers - That would be great. I think it only needs to be test to around 200m for piece of mind, very interested to hear if he can do it.
    Will do, I’m due to pick up a watch from him this week, I’ll ask and get back to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk