closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster Surrexit!

Hybrid View

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    I entirely agree. I just didn't think a lecture was necessary.
    I`m making a point from as someone who actually does this work, I don`t see how that can be construed as a bloody lecture! I stand by my comment, using double-sided adhesive tape and sticky pads is bodging, I don`t care what you might read to the contrary on U tube! The Seiko modding fraternity might be happy doing this but that doesn`t make it right. What happens when the watch needs servicing? Where does the sticky goo from the tape end up? I`ll tell you, it has to be carefully removed before the mainplate goes into cleaning solution and that's a pain in the arse to do!

Matt has pointed out exactly the right item to use, but even they can cause the dial to sit fractionally higher which is not desirable, causing a slight misalignment of the movement and crown. Sometimes its a problem, sometimes it isn`t, it all depends on the dial and the top of the mainplate. Provided the repairer is taking full account of this all should be well, there is a device available that allows a small flat countersink to be made in the dial to accommodate the additional thickness of the flat base of the foot, I don`t have one but I can get the same effect using a modified drillbit and a bit of ingenuity. When the movement has a date function the job becomes harder, the date wheel has to be able to move smoothly with sufficient clearance and they usually run very close to the dial feet.

One of the hardest parts is to get the foot in exactly the correct position, the only reliable way is to mount the feet onto the mainplate using the dial fixing screws then affix the dial to the feet taking care to centralise it correctly. Near enough won't do, it has to be absolutely correct. I`ve used a brand of superglue gel that gives around 12 secs working time and done them one at a time, this worked a treat. Whilst not as good as an original unbroken foot this constitutes an acceptable repair and if I find a dial that's had this treatment I`m OK with it.

As I said, this is a fiddly laborious procedure. Often the dial feet have to be trimmed and slimmed down a little, working on this scale isn`t easy and it all takes time. This work is best undertaken when the watch is being serviced and fully stripped down, there are a few good reasons why.

Unfortunately a lot of old watches have been worked on my monkeys in the past carrying out dubious work, clumsiness and lack of care cause dial feet to break.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 11th January 2022 at 15:23.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`m making a point from as someone who actually does this work, I don`t see how that can be construed as a bloody lecture! I stand by my comment, using double-sided adhesive tape and sticky pads is bodging, I don`t care what you might read to the contrary on U tube! The Seiko modding fraternity might be happy doing this but that doesn`t make it right. What happens when the watch needs servicing? Where does the sticky goo from the tape end up? I`ll tell you, it has to be carefully removed before the mainplate goes into cleaning solution and that's a pain in the arse to do!

Matt has pointed out exactly the right item to use, but even they can cause the dial to sit fractionally higher which is not desirable, causing a slight misalignment of the movement and crown. Sometimes its a problem, sometimes it isn`t, it all depends on the dial and the top of the mainplate. Provided the repairer is taking full account of this all should be well, there is a device available that allows a small flat countersink to be made in the dial to accommodate the additional thickness of the flat base of the foot, I don`t have one but I can get the same effect using a modified drillbit and a bit of ingenuity. When the movement has a date function the job becomes harder, the date wheel has to be able to move smoothly with sufficient clearance and they usually run very close to the dial feet.

One of the hardest parts is to get the foot in exactly the correct position, the only reliable way is to mount the feet onto the mainplate using the dial fixing screws then affix the dial to the feet taking care to centralise it correctly. Near enough won't do, it has to be absolutely correct. I`ve used a brand of superglue gel that gives around 12 secs working time and done them one at a time, this worked a treat. Whilst not as good as an original unbroken foot this constitutes an acceptable repair and if I find a dial that's had this treatment I`m OK with it.

As I said, this is a fiddly laborious procedure. Often the dial feet have to be trimmed and slimmed down a little, working on this scale isn`t easy and it all takes time. This work is best undertaken when the watch is being serviced and fully stripped down, there are a few good reasons why.

Unfortunately a lot of old watches have been worked on my monkeys in the past carrying out dubious work, clumsiness and lack of care cause dial feet to break.
    In my experience, superglue is very poor at absorbing even the mildest shock loadings and tends to fail. A good metal epoxy always does the trick. I've also found that it's not hard to bodge up a tool that leaves a blob of paint on the dial during mock up construction and allows you to mount the feet at your leisure in exactly the position you want. This also ensures you can get the height they mount at right. Feet rarely mount correctly when pushed all the way in and guessing how far they need to go in when they are detached seems impossible to me.
    Last edited by M4tt; 11th January 2022 at 15:49.

They do say the devil God looks after his own...

Lovely story and lovely result!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Thanks for the lecture.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    Thanks for the lecture.
    Every day’s a school day buddy.....not sure how that translates.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Getting back to the original thread! I'm really happy for you Ollie. You were an absolutely gent when you sold me my first Smiths. I'm glad you had this stroke of good fortune. It's lovely to have a nice story on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Getting back to the original thread! I'm really happy for you Ollie. You were an absolutely gent when you sold me my first Smiths. I'm glad you had this stroke of good fortune. It's lovely to have a nice story on here.
    Thanks Gav!

Great watch and great result with the replacement dial and handset!

Dial feet can be replaced, it can go wrong (burn the dial) if you’re inexperienced and you have to be accurate but they can be resoldered, here’s a speedy I blogged about a few years ago.

https://thewatchbloke.co.uk/2015/07/...edmaster-1977/

Thanks to everyone for your kind and congratulatory words!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post

Dial feet can be replaced, it can go wrong (burn the dial) if you’re inexperienced and you have to be accurate but they can be resoldered, here’s a speedy I blogged about a few years ago.

That was a good read; great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post

Superb work on resoldering the dial feet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. I recognized this watch in an instant, i was considering buying it in early December last year, when I spotted it at the Brunel Uni watch fair in London. It was humbly hiding at the back of a display. On request, the owner/seller (a very reputable member on another forum) said it had served him as a beater for years, told about all the issues instantly, although couldn't tell the movement serial there and then. Therefore I couldn't make an accurate analysis on what parts were correct to the watch and which weren't, I was a bargain, and despite its obvious shortcomings, it was pretty. The only reason I didn't dig deeper or pulled the trigger was that I didn't have the funds, yet I have caught myself thinking about it for a long time after.
    I love a project and perhaps love fixing broken things even more, so I must say, I couldn't be happier to see how it ended up in a good loving home. Hope you'll enjoy for a long time.

Every day’s a school day buddy.....not sure how that translates.
    I'm not your buddy. I never suggested that the OP should use dial stickers, I simply pointed out that they were a lot thinner than 1mm. I don't care how knowledgeable you are with watches. You come across as being full of yourself and needlessly aggressive.