closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favourite Acquisition of 2021?

My only acquisition in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Well done both of you. I asked the question over on MWR and it appears that 1961 is one of only a handful of years when no watches were issued to the British military. My choices are a US Bulova the size of a penny, an IWC XI issued to the SAAF or a Smiths De Luxe issued to the Australian military and both of those later two watches are as rare as hens teeth.

The hunt goes on…
    Thanks
    1980 is usually a hard year to pick from in terms of watches, as it was right in the middle of the quartz crisis. Only a handful of icons were produced in these hard times that have ever come up for me as an option when looking for a birth year watch: Speedmaster, which is out of question as it must be a 1969 (as a space nut, moonlanding comes before my birth year. Period). And then a Rolsub, especially that this year has seen the maxi dials, but again is out of question now because of the prices. A lot more options in terms of military watches though, i.e. CWC was thriving at this time, so it was an "obvious" choice (much as it can be). Funny you're in the opposite position, year 1961 was the pinnacle of watchmaking, I bet that countless of legends were born/produced that year. I'm surprised to hear that the milwatch line up was so poor that year, but now that you pointed it out, i couldn't think of anything. Hope you find some of the ones you mentioned - patience pays off!

Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    This one for me. I've always had my eye open for a Godzilla but the lack of bracelet put me off slightly, the Lion was a close contender to the Godzilla with the added benefit of being on a bracelet. Thanks spuds

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Wow! That's stunning! A few more pics of that dial in the light would be good. Best looking watch I've seen in a long time.

Time Factors Smiths Monopusher (#02/50) on a strap handmade by John Keiller in Scotland:

Quote Originally Posted by levkov View Post
    Thanks
    1980 is usually a hard year to pick from in terms of watches, as it was right in the middle of the quartz crisis. Only a handful of icons were produced in these hard times that have ever come up for me as an option when looking for a birth year watch: Speedmaster, which is out of question as it must be a 1969 (as a space nut, moonlanding comes before my birth year. Period). And then a Rolsub, especially that this year has seen the maxi dials, but again is out of question now because of the prices. A lot more options in terms of military watches though, i.e. CWC was thriving at this time, so it was an "obvious" choice (much as it can be). Funny you're in the opposite position, year 1961 was the pinnacle of watchmaking, I bet that countless of legends were born/produced that year. I'm surprised to hear that the milwatch line up was so poor that year, but now that you pointed it out, i couldn't think of anything. Hope you find some of the ones you mentioned - patience pays off!
    1961 is a bad year on many fronts, the decent 40mm type watches like the Submariners, GMTs and even Speedmasters are all seriously priced. That moved me on to Omega, which is easier to date with the serial numbers and the Pie Pan watches are very nice, but rather small as are most watches produced that year. 34mm does seem to be the norm for 1961, so like you looked at military watches, but not a lot out there. I do like a challenge and I really like the Smiths Military DeLuxe anyway, so trying to find a 1961 Australian version I feel is something I need to explore.

Journeyman
    Nothing beats my modded 2254 with the non-ac (applied) dial. It's been my grail for many many years and I finally found one.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I do like a challenge and I really like the Smiths Military DeLuxe anyway, so trying to find a 1961 Australian version I feel is something I need to explore
    With the run of luck I'm having at the moment I half expect to find a 1961 Smiths GS at my local charity shop.

It's yours for a fiver if I do!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    With the run of luck I'm having at the moment I half expect to find a 1961 Smiths GS at my local charity shop.

It's yours for a fiver if I do!
    Top man

Grand Master
    1961 is a bad year on many fronts, the decent 40mm type watches like the Submariners, GMTs and even Speedmasters are all seriously priced. That moved me on to Omega, which is easier to date with the serial numbers and the Pie Pan watches are very nice, but rather small as are most watches produced that year. 34mm does seem to be the norm for 1961, so like you looked at military watches, but not a lot out there. I do like a challenge and I really like the Smiths Military DeLuxe anyway, so trying to find a 1961 Australian version I feel is something I need to explore.
    Not quite a new acquisition but it feels like it, haven’t worn it for over 3 years!

I’ve just serviced my Omega Constellation pie- pan, it may only be 34mm but the lug to lug length is disproportionately long so the watch wears bigger. I’m happy with watches this size, I’ve never seen the appeal of bigger watches unless you have big wrists. Many of the 34mm watches have slim bezels which tend to make the watch look larger too.

My 18ct Constellation has a movement number dating from 1959 and an original purchase receipt from November 1961......that's a conundrum for the birth- yearers!

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Wow! That's stunning! A few more pics of that dial in the light would be good. Best looking watch I've seen in a long time.
    Thanks. I've added some here but I'm not the best at taking photos and I think GS are quite tricky to take decent photos of.
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk