closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2022

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a lean year by my standards in 2021. Life's too short imho so I'll be acquiring whatever I feel like in 2022 :-)

I tried and failed last year. This year I reckon I can do it!

Craftsman
    I'm trying to keep the dry streak going ... last purchase 20th September 2020 !

I didn't buy any last year, I don't think, but this year I plan to sell 4 and buy 3, since that's more out than in, I think that surely counts.

Master
    I'm in the weird (for me) position of not really being all that bothered about even wearing a watch at all at the moment.

I bought a couple of relatively cheap watches last year to try to rekindle my love, but that didn't work, so I may well join the abstinence club for 2022, and see how that pans out!

I’ve signed up to these things in the past and have usually blown it within a week or two. I’m not going to say I won’t buy anything, but I will make two commitments for 2022 that I hope I can keep.

Firstly I have no intention of selling any of my watches this year and secondly from this day forward I no longer have any interest in any watches that I have owned and sold in the past. As Don Henley sang ‘don’t look back, you can never look back’. So if you are one of the many hundred who have bought one of my flipped watches over the years, sorry but I have absolutely no interest in buying it back.

I’m already at 10 watches and tend to get a nose bleed if I go over 12, so any purchases will have to be something worthwhile to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I’ve signed up to these things in the past and have usually blown it within a week or two. I’m not going to say I won’t buy anything, but I will make two commitments for 2022 that I hope I can keep.

Firstly I have no intention of selling any of my watches this year and secondly from this day forward I no longer have any interest in any watches that I have owned and sold in the past. As Don Henley sang ‘don’t look back, you can never look back’. So if you are one of the many hundred who have bought one of my flipped watches over the years, sorry but I have absolutely no interest in buying it back.

I’m already at 10 watches and tend to get a nose bleed if I go over 12, so any purchases will have to be something worthwhile to me.

Apart from this one

Good to see you’re ok and back Ken

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post

Good to see you’re ok and back Ken
    Thanks Rusty,

Was looking at those French Steinhart GT69s on Chrono 24 last month and thought what the hell am I playing at here. I remember you were a great advocate of not buying back watches that you had sold, so role model status there old bean

Thanks Rusty,

Was looking at those French Steinhart GT69s on Chrono 24 last month and thought what the hell am I playing at here. I remember you were a great advocate of not buying back watches that you had sold, so role model status there old bean
    I miss a couple but I think the only watch I’ve ever owned twice was the O1R Steinhart

Blog Entries
    A rather ruthless strategy for me has been: Move country so the import taxes make any UK deals rather less easy. SC is a lot less attractive these days.

Decent watch shop ADs are about 3hrs drive away so temptation is less.

but not planning not to buy if the opportunity comes up.
    Martyn.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 8th January 2022 at 09:11.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    A rather ruthless strategy for me has been: Move country so the import taxes make any UK deals rather less easy. SC is a lot less attractive these days.

Decent watch shop ADs are about 3hrs drive away so temptation is less.

but not planning not to buy if the opportunity comes up.
    Martyn.
    But you have a whole load more options in buying from within the EU customs zone…

Master
    Blog Entries
    Big family birthdays coming up this year,so I am not planning on any watch purchases.But never say never.

Master

That is a good strategy but it can be improved.

Keeping what you have got makes sense in that you will now only buy something that you really like. This forum is full of people buying something and reselling it 3 months later and then regretting later on.

Also stay away from the tat. Steinharts are just bottom of the heap stuff and this is why you keep buying and selling, no one with an appreciation of quality could fall in love with them. There is, however, a lot of good stuff going around at prices way below Rolex. I am beginning a love affair with the JLC Reverso and there are a lot of bargains out there and they simply ooze with quality and that is the sort of watch you will keep. Better to have a few good watches than lots of tat and that makes keeping them so much easier.

Also having good quality watches gives you something to pass down to the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    That is a good strategy but it can be improved.

Keeping what you have got makes sense in that you will now only buy something that you really like. This forum is full of people buying something and reselling it 3 months later and then regretting later on.

Also stay away from the tat. Steinharts are just bottom of the heap stuff and this is why you keep buying and selling, no one with an appreciation of quality could fall in love with them. There is, however, a lot of good stuff going around at prices way below Rolex. I am beginning a love affair with the JLC Reverso and there are a lot of bargains out there and they simply ooze with quality and that is the sort of watch you will keep. Better to have a few good watches than lots of tat and that makes keeping them so much easier.

Also having good quality watches gives you something to pass down to the kids.
    All good points Mick. I think like a few on here there can be an element of going round in circles and you end up revisiting watches that you have let go in the past. It’s almost like looking for a safe port in a storm, sticking with something that you know and is comfortable. I’m now looking to break that cycle, those previous watches were sold for a reason and there has to be little or no point in simply buying them back.

I think the big difference with the watches I have now is that I decided what watches I wanted to buy and specifically looked for those rather than falling into the trap of seeing something on SC for example and thinking that looks nice and buying it, when it wasn’t even on my radar in the first place.

There are a couple of specific watches that I would like to own, so it’s a case now of waiting for a nice example to become available and ignore the other attractive shiny baubles that in the past have been so tempting.

Master
    All good points Mick. I think like a few on here there can be an element of going round in circles and you end up revisiting watches that you have let go in the past. It’s almost like looking for a safe port in a storm, sticking with something that you know and is comfortable. I’m now looking to break that cycle, those previous watches were sold for a reason and there has to be little or no point in simply buying them back.

I think the big difference with the watches I have now is that I decided what watches I wanted to buy and specifically looked for those rather than falling into the trap of seeing something on SC for example and thinking that looks nice and buying it, when it wasn’t even on my radar in the first place.

There are a couple of specific watches that I would like to own, so it’s a case now of waiting for a nice example to become available and ignore the other attractive shiny baubles that in the past have been so tempting.
    Good man.

Master
    Happy to join the no net increase section. This means that I should actually make a record of all watches currently owned and maybe that will help me focus on reducing the numbers. There’s nothing out there that I’m lusting after and there’s certainly some that I have which get little use.

... and as well as buying a Pagani, I've just bought Rousey's Helson Sharkmaster 300 from Sales Corner.

My wife said "it's only January 8th and already you've bought two watches". Yup, that's me.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    ... and as well as buying a Pagani, I've just bought Rousey's Helson Sharkmaster 300 from Sales Corner.

My wife said "it's only January 8th and already you've bought two watches". Yup, that's me.

Well, if you’re trying to be restrained then you’re not going to like me much because I’m the someone who was talking about the Gruppo Gamma Divemaster recently. My DG-08 has just arrived and it’s absolutely great! I’d highly recommend it and think it’s superb value for money.

Short review coming soon.

Simon

The above post means that I certainly can’t join the club this year, although I did manage it in 2021.

I intend to sell at least two this year so I have hopes that I will be able to end up with a small net reduction in numbers.

Simon

Craftsman
    I tried but failed miserably, just picked up a CWC T20 GS in the last few days....oh well, start as you mean to go on I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Well, if you’re trying to be restrained then you’re not going to like me much because I’m the someone who was talking about the Gruppo Gamma Divemaster recently. My DG-08 has just arrived and it’s absolutely great! I’d highly recommend it and think it’s superb value for money.

Short review coming soon.

Simon
    I look forward to that review, they look very interesting.

Simon

I should join this 😂

Last year i think I abstained completely - just bought random
    other stuff from SC.

There are 2 watches on my wishlist - A citizen paper dial Chronomaster and the new m60 Vertex have caught my eye.

However not having worn watches much this year I should cull one or two if either of the above were to be bought.

It might be time to move on my iwc - or even one of my schofields to make way !

Lets see what happens !

matt

Craftsman

TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2022

I’m surprised that I was able to successfully abstain last year, and think I might try it again for 2022. Any funds in the watch kitty were used for long overdue services, completing missing bits from sets, and discovering I’ve a taste for exotic straps - it means I’m enjoying and appreciating the watches I already own more than ever, something I’d like to continue.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Nearly failed this weekend, I have been watching a Longines on eBay that kept getting relisted with no bids. Missed the end time but was surprisingly relived when I saw it had several bids before selling - a week in and I’m still going strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I'm down to three watches. My plan is to keep it that way. I want to service the Omega and get a nice strap for the Longines. I still have lots on my long list - 36mm IWC, Vintage Airking, an older SMP, a Longines Heritage Military, a Bremont Solo 37 , a Heuer 844 - but I also have an expensive year ahead with a new arrival on the way. So no plans to but buy any of the above or anything else unless a nice Glycine Airman shows up.

I'm signing up but with a previso. I'm down to 5 from last year's 8. I sold 3 to raise cash in order to maximise my deposit for another property. I won't be buying another watch until I've purchased a new property and it's all done and dusted. Then, and only then, will I start another watch fund. If this takes 2 months or 2 years, so be it.

I've vowed to sell two watches before I buy anything else.

Given the level of interest I've had, that should easily cover 2022 :(

14 days in and I have failed already after a new arrival this morning. I have spotted a sort of no win scenario in the above, I don’t want to sell any watches, but equally I don’t really want to increase numbers. A bit tricky to square that circle. The old logic of one in one out works for most, so I did put a couple of watches on e-bay today and one has sold - so I’m still at 10 and the watch coming in was a gem rather than something that just popped up on SC and was bought on spec, so happy with that side of it.

I think the lesson for today is that most people will twist their logic, principals and man maths to fit in with the latest bit of buying and selling activity.

Craftsman
    So 16 days in and I'm currently at.

Watches 0

Straps +2

I'll take the pledge

Only plan to sell this year. This won't be easy though.

Quote Originally Posted by goregasm View Post
    Just sold one on eBay, so I’m -1 already
    Now -2

Apart from a couple of cheap digital smart watches, I have not purchased a watch for more than two years.

I therefore ordered a CWC Mellor 72 which is amazingly small and light. Whilst I may not buy another watch, I have started looking at adjustable single pass nato straps. I may have to stick with the supplied CWC nato for now.

Craftsman
    How's everyones resolve holding out?

I'm still at +0

Still have that pesky milestone birthday impending......so it could be a +1 year.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Miserable failure on my part.

I fell off the wagon last week :-(
    However three have gone in it’s place.

Currently -3 so I’m heading in the right direction. Still have a hankering for a BB58 but that aside, nothing really on the radar thankfully.

Master
    14 days in and I have failed already after a new arrival this morning. I have spotted a sort of no win scenario in the above, I don’t want to sell any watches, but equally I don’t really want to increase numbers. A bit tricky to square that circle. The old logic of one in one out works for most, so I did put a couple of watches on e-bay today and one has sold - so I’m still at 10 and the watch coming in was a gem rather than something that just popped up on SC and was bought on spec, so happy with that side of it.

I think the lesson for today is that most people will twist their logic, principals and man maths to fit in with the latest bit of buying and selling activity.
    The only way to win is not to bugger about doing compromise deals. No new watches under any circumstances. Selling is ok but you just not swap or buy because by doing that you are failing to getting away from obtaining new watches.

Journeyman
    Sold CW Super Compressor and bought an Aqua Terra so still have 10 watches.
    Would ideally like to stick at 10, but am currently fighting the urge to add a Bronze field watch to the collection.
    Problem is I would now be reluctant to sell anything. I like all of my watches!

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Currently -3 so I’m heading in the right direction. Still have a hankering for a BB58 but that aside, nothing really on the radar thankfully.

Youll love the "58" Rob,vintage vibe and good dimensions.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    Happy to join the no net increase section. This means that I should actually make a record of all watches currently owned and maybe that will help me focus on reducing the numbers. There’s nothing out there that I’m lusting after and there’s certainly some that I have which get little use.
    Ok, that’s all gone to the dogs, big time.
    The remaining part of the year must focus on getting back to a net zero (increase) position and getting a few ‘project’ watches completed.

Thumbs up

Miserable failure on my part. One purchase from last year arrived in February then I bought an Everest for the better half, I've got a Ming arriving in the next few months, paid 50% on one I won't get until next year and finally a Planet Ocean arrived a few weeks ago.

Where are we, April? Damn.

Given that I set myself a no-increase rule, I’m doing well. I’ve sold three and bought two. Another two are for the chopping block.

I’ll be at 3-and-a-G by the summer. Looking forward to it!

I have backslid somewhat, albeit at a budget less than many spend on straps, with a £30 used Casio quartz and a £200 used Nite quartz added, and nothing sold so far - a matter I must address myself to!

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I'm signing up but with a previso. I'm down to 5 from last year's 8. I sold 3 to raise cash in order to maximise my deposit for another property. I won't be buying another watch until I've purchased a new property and it's all done and dusted. Then, and only then, will I start another watch fund. If this takes 2 months or 2 years, so be it.
    I'm still on track and am even down to 4 watches now. Also I've had an offer accepted on a house BUT it's complicated by the fact that there are tenants in situ. I want this resolved soon not least because I want to start buying watches again!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post

I'm still at +0

Still have that pesky milestone birthday impending......so it could be a +1 year.
    Well as predicted the Birthday has thrown a spanner in the works.

I've been allowed to have it early bday not till June.

I'm now +1

Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post

I'm still at +0

2 in, 2 out, so far so good.

Master
    Technically 1 out and 1 in. So, all is good. I’m trying not to look at the Tudor Pelagos FXD thread anymore, that thread isn’t helping me! Probably the only Rolex group watch I’d consider buying.

Master
    2 out and 1 'unrealised' in (ordered last night, delivery end summer) so looking good so far.

Goal is sell 3 more and buy 1 more (but that's a Halios, so may well not happen) to take me down to max. 2 + a G-Shock, which is my planned end state.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    I didn't participate in last year's WPAC, which is a good thing given the three Omega PloProfs, two Panerai Regatta Timers, Zenith Pilot, Sinn U1, two G-Shocks and Garmin which arrived, all in the last 7 months of the year. The Omegas, Panerai and Zenith didn't make it to the end of the year, and a few other Panerai also left the stable.

This year I really do want to stop the habit, as I don't need for anything and should use any cash for pension/mortgage reduction.

I'm therefore officially joing the WPAC for 2022 - here's to success.

Do join me in making The Pledge :)

Please also share any personal strategies that have, or might work, for avoidance. I often find that a watch purchase creeps up on me unexpectedly. I'm sure browsing Sales Corner, Chrono24, Watchfinder et al. doesn't help, but it passes the time and keeps me in touch.

Good luck to all who pledge.

If I fail I'll make a Fundraiser donation. I hope others will join me if we fall off the wagon.

Here's to a happy, safe and healthy 2022 for all.

I wish I could join you but I’m weak and need help. Ordered an Eddie White Dial on Sunday which should arrive this week to join the Rolex dial delivered this morning for some stupid project or other. I’m currently buying one watch a month and not selling any (though I should). That’s the advantage of buying cars, you soon run out of space and it has to stop, but you could get 1000s of these tiny little ticking suckers in a house.

Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post
    Simple rules - one in one out

Dont fall for "i need chrono/diver/dress/GADA" mantra

Think about forum darlings and how much actually good are they.

Declutter the box.

Post the next shiny object of desire for bashing. It might bring you back to Reality.

Post SOTC now, and after few months.

IF you sell the ones that you put for cull, dont spend all the money at instance. If necessary take the cash from bank. View of pile of money can be sobering. There just numbers when in account.

Minimise the time you spend Online looking and lurking. Cut your subscriptions to Online sites dedicated to watches.

Think about the stuff you own. Pros and cons, money value and "do I really need this?"
    Brilliant advice and I really should stick to it. Or part of it.

Oh well, back to Chrono24 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by YCymro View Post
    Ordered an Eddie White Dial on Sunday which should arrive this week to join the Rolex dial delivered this morning for some stupid project or other.
    What do you plan to do with the Rolex dial?
    F.T.F.A.