closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sapphire vs acrylic

I think the fact is that sapphire is now so cheap and so popular (and perceived as a bit of a "wow" factor to non-WIS) that it is ubiquitous and will become universal. It's a feature people like. Acrylic might become a retro niche thing (as indeed are all mechanical movements compared with quartz) but Eddie needs to sell watches and doesn't need the hassle.

Sapphire might add £x to the cost but it adds £xx to the price so for manufacturers it's a "value added" (!) no-brainer. It is interesting to note, though, that the Speedmaster is still proudly Hesalite (and hand-wound for that matter) but that is an exception because of its history.

For the record, I'm not against sapphire crystals per se. In fact, I'm totally fine with the Navigator's sapphire.

However, the glass used on the Everest totally ruins the watch for me. But that doesn't seem to be an issue for most people, so happy days.

I would gladly buy an Everest with plexiglass, but unfortunately, that's not an option.

And obviously, Eddie knows how to run his own business.

Quote Originally Posted by fogar View Post

I would gladly buy an Everest with plexiglass, but unfortunately, that's not an option.
    I guess we need to pin our hopes on some enterprising individual with the prerequisite skills to start offering a modification service.

Date windows sell watches too.

Sapphire vs acrylic

Just my thoughts… I got the Everest in sapphire and swapped it to a domed acrylic crystal from Cousins, UK by a local watchmaker here in SG, guided by The Gent’s posted detailed instructions (thanks!).

Got it tested for water resist and no issues to date, whatsoever . It’s been on my wrist ever since, displacing my BB58 and Rolexes.

Here it is with the stock sapphire (and milky ring):

After the swap to a domed acrylic:

I may be minority here but this is really a keeper for me, especially after getting it regulated to keep COSC timing

Only remaining thing I would mod is, if I can get a no-rivet oyster bracelet with ‘male’ end links…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by trekkiefreakie View Post
    Just my thoughts… I got the Everest in sapphire and swapped it to a domed acrylic crystal from Cousins, UK by a local watchmaker here in SG, guided by The Gent’s posted detailed instructions (thanks!).

Got it tested for water resist and no issues to date, whatsoever . It’s been on my wrist ever since, displacing my BB58 and Rolexes.

Here it is with the stock sapphire (and milky ring):

I may be minority here but this is really a keeper for me, especially after getting it regulated to keep COSC timing

Only remaining thing I would mod is, if I can get a no-rivet oyster bracelet with ‘male’ end links…

It does look good I have to say.

I think the next versions are going to have the none riveted bracelet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    the pragmatists that see an upgrade in performance as an advantage.
    For the avoidance of doubt, I prefer acrylic (in many cases) precisely for "performance" reasons. As I cited in my comment above, it is more easily reparable than mineral or sapphire.

That is a pragmatic, real world, performance issue.

I thus choose acrylic, where I do choose it, both for performance and for aesthetics.

So do not erroneously presume to think that all those who prefer acrylic on a particular watch are doing it merely for the sake of "traditionalism".

As I also said, there are other watches where I prefer sapphire.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 22nd November 2021 at 16:46.

Quote Originally Posted by trekkiefreakie View Post

I'm genuinely perplexed as to how Bob and others did not notice their milky rings until they read about them.

Ive been acutely aware of the rings Ive had in the past from the start - much to my discomfort and regret.
    Last edited by Velorum; 22nd November 2021 at 17:34.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I'm genuinely perplexed as to how Bob and others did not notice their milky rings until they read about them.

Ive been acutely aware of the rings Ive had in the past from the start - much to my discomfort and regret.
    I have to say that I just don't see it without trying especially, even after it's pointed out.

Interesting difference in perception Mark

I would find it a lot easier if I were more like you!

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I have to say that I just don't see it without trying especially, even after it's pointed out.

Same as Mark said Ian.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Same as Mark said Ian.
    I also never noticed it. As in I never saw the watch and thought what’s that with the crystal. I then read a post by The Gent and googled milky ring on watch crystal and then found the omega stuff. I’m not saying it’s the case here but I often read something online about a potential purchase and yet when I have it in hand those issues someone else mentioned are actually nothing to me. Clasp on the sarb bracelet for example having too much of a gap, once in hand I had no idea what the issue was.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    For the avoidance of doubt, I prefer acrylic (in many cases) precisely for "performance" reasons. As I cited in my comment above, it is more easily reparable than mineral or sapphire.

That is a pragmatic, real world, performance issue.

I thus choose acrylic, where I do choose it, both for performance and for aesthetics.

So do not erroneously presume to think that all those who prefer acrylic on a particular watch are doing it merely for the sake of "traditionalism".

As I also said, there are other watches where I prefer sapphire.
    Fair enough, I understand your point, but mine is a fair assumption, because sapphire simply does not mark with the same degree of contact that acrylic does.
    With acrylic you have to repair the marks that simply would not exist on sapphire.
    Sapphire does have a massive performance advantage in that respect.
    However, I certainly agree that if you do manage to mark it, it is a whole lot more difficult to remove such a mark.
    I totally understand the aesthetic appeal of acrylic, but your additional point in respect of your own view on material performance is a even more of a minority standpoint.
    I have plenty of watches with acrylic crystals, but every one of them is vintage.

Journeyman
    All things said I think I prefer acrylic just because it doesn't reflect the light as harshly as sapphire, but I can understand that for a lot of people is a no go to keep polishing and replacing the crystal. For me, I just see it as part of the maintenance.

Yeah but the acrylic buyers are a higher quality clientele, raising the standards

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Sapphire vs acrylic

I sold my mk1 Everest because of the acrylic continually getting scratched; an issue I don’t have with my 40mm mk2!

I’ve never even noticed the milky ring though and it certainly doesn’t bother me.

Craftsman
    I know the acrylic crystal days are numbered though it does open up the dial and make the watch look much nicer imho.

Craftsman
    Have a Farer Lomond Field Watch with a flat sapphire crystal which is flush with the top of the bezel, probably the best installation of this type of crystal I've come across, without wandering into the luxury end of the market.

Whereas the sapphire fitted to the PRS-29a was the main reason I eventually sold it, just didn't look right, the Everest is far better mind but not quite perfect IMHO, so I can see why some might prefer an acrylic.

Last edited by Ed875; 26th November 2021 at 12:39.

Craftsman
    Any reason why flat sapphires aren't an option for the Everest ?

No milky ring effect with those ?

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Any reason why flat sapphires aren't an option for the Everest ?

No milky ring effect with those ?
    Takes away from the 1016 vibe. But I personally would not like a flat sapphire. And am more than happy for the Everest line to stick with the crystal as is, I think it looks fantastic. I would like to see a photo of the acrylic commando though, as in a head on shot of the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by theflyingfisherman View Post
    Takes away from the 1016 vibe. But I personally would not like a flat sapphire. And am more than happy for the Everest line to stick with the crystal as is, I think it looks fantastic. I would like to see a photo of the acrylic commando though, as in a head on shot of the dial.
    One on the website

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    One on the website

That’s the sapphire as far as I know. The plexi photos have it written in the corner

That’s the sapphire as far as I know. The plexi photos have it written in the corner

Yeah they aren't quite face on

Finding it hard to decide which to buy, the Commando acylic or the jubilee

Sapphire vs acrylic

Finding it hard to decide which to buy, the Commando acylic or the jubilee

Yes no head on photo, would just like to see if it makes the dial appear wider/stretched out (don’t really like that effect) with the acrylic.

Hum, do you own an Everest or any other 36mm from timefactors?

Yes no head on photo, would just like to see if it makes the dial appear wider/stretched out (don’t really like that effect) with the acrylic.

Hum, do you own an Everest or any other 36mm from timefactors?

Had before and sold as never worn. But fancy a playing out watch now, prefer the look of the Commando

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5865745

Had before and sold as never worn. But fancy a playing out watch now, prefer the look of the Commando

In that case I’d probably go commando. I think the jubilee looks fantastic with that Aventurine dial and jubilee bracelets are a favourite of mine but if you’ve had an Everest and didn’t gel with it then the dial on the jubilee will be somewhat dressy maybe. But definitely going to be a bit of hard one to find at rrp once it’s gone.

Go commando… it’s a looker with that tropical dial.

Sapphire vs acrylic

Ah thanks and I just found this

Is it my eyes or does the acrylic (left) have a white ring around the minute track? I’ve looked closely at photos and the sapphire does not have it. But as I thought i prefer the sapphire look as the dial appears smaller

Ah thanks and I just found this

Is it my eyes or does the acrylic (left) have a white ring around the minute track? I’ve looked closely at photos and the sapphire does not have it. But as I thought i prefer the sapphire look as the dial appears smaller

See it better here maybe

Craftsman
    Takes away from the 1016 vibe. But I personally would not like a flat sapphire. And am more than happy for the Everest line to stick with the crystal as is, I think it looks fantastic.
    I would have thought a flat sapphire would be a better fit than the current box sapphire (or whatever it is called :-) ) - at least based on pics I have seen of 1016s, which don't have milky rings with the original fitted acrylic !

Rolex did use a flat sapphire on the Explorer 14270 from about 1989 or so ... instead of the acrylic.

I was wondering whether there is anything in the design of the Everest case or movement (pinion height ?) that means you can't fit a flat sapphire. One thing that might look odd with a flat sapphire is the length (too long?) of the minute indices.

I was wondering whether there is anything in the design of the Everest case or movement (pinion height ?) that means you can't fit a flat sapphire. One thing that might look odd with a flat sapphire is the length (too long?) of the minute indices.
    I think it’s very close as I remember from the drawings.

Craftsman
    23 acrylic sales in, what, 6 minutes (3 Sunday windows at 2 minutes each) ? That's actually pretty good isn't it ? :-)

If it scales, you'll be sold out in about another 20 minutes of open Shop time !

To each his own, I hate the fact the milky ring on the sapphire makes the dial look smaller. The sapphire has an inner concentric ring, the acrylic has it more to the outside of the dial. I definitely prefer that look with a wider, more open dial

To each his own, I hate the fact the milky ring on the sapphire makes the dial look smaller. The sapphire has an inner concentric ring, the acrylic has it more to the outside of the dial. I definitely prefer that look with a wider, more open dial
    Indeed, different strokes for different folks. Don’t get me wrong, I have just as many acrylic crystal pieces as I do sapphire. But on Eddie’s Everest/commando pieces I prefer sapphire.

You planning on picking up an acrylic commando?

Indeed, different strokes for different folks. Don’t get me wrong, I have just as many acrylic crystal pieces as I do sapphire. But on Eddie’s Everest/commando pieces I prefer sapphire.

You planning on picking up an acrylic commando?
    I was considering it but finally went for the mono-pusher. I prefer the look of the regular everest, I just like pointy hands better. I would get that one on acrylic if it was available.

I was considering it but finally went for the mono-pusher. I prefer the look of the regular everest, I just like pointy hands better. I would get that one on acrylic if it was available.
    Maybe a possible mod? The mono-pusher looks lovely.

Back to the acrylic and that ring I mentioned… so just to confirm, that ring that the arrow points to is created by the crystal? I’ve never seen that before on acrylic, looks almost like it’s printed on the dial ..

So now that acrylic for these watches is officially dead I am wondering if there will come a time when different sapphire crystals that do not present with a milky ring are an option.

Craftsman
    Yes, my 114270 explorer has a flat crystal and no ring. It has a small chamfer round the crystal too. I think the effect is caused when the sapphire crystal is boxed in profile so the milky effect is you viewing the turned down edge of the crystal.

I’ll post some pics later of an incipio explorer style watch with a milky ring caused by the same effect on a domed plexi crystal and then it vanishes with a more flat too plexi installed. The flat top plexi also makes the dial appear bigger too.

Craftsman
    So now that acrylic for these watches is officially dead I am wondering if there will come a time when different sapphire crystals that do not present with a milky ring are an option.
    I'm tempted to try and find a watchmaker who will fit a flat sapphire on my Everest ... I'd love to know if that is possible, or if there are any limitations of the case design or the movement that preclude it ...

I'm tempted to try and find a watchmaker who will fit a flat sapphire on my Everest ... I'd love to know if that is possible, or if there are any limitations of the case design or the movement that preclude it ...
    I was tempted to try it when I did my acrylic mod. In fact I still have the correct diameter mineral (much cheaper than sapphire) that I intended to try. I was so happy with the acrylic I didn’t bother.

Craftsman
    The PRS-57 MP has a flat sapphire, with a very similar bezel to the Farer and while it gives the watch a slightly more modern look, the clarity of the dial is excellent; works well with the cream dial

I would prefer this style of sapphire. Obviously that’s not going to happen considering Eddie can barely meet current demand for the everest line in its current form

Journeyman
    I would prefer this style of sapphire. Obviously that’s not going to happen considering Eddie can barely meet current demand for the everest line in its current form

That's a really nice watch, a prototype, I assume?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    As of today, this is how many I've sold.

Sapphire: 144

Acrylic: 23
    I see that both sapphire and acrylic sold out today, as far as the shop software is concerned.

Would it be correct to say that not all 77 remaining acrylics were counted as in stock as far as Shopify was concerned?

It would be remarkable if 77 acrylics had actually sold today!

Yeah probably the daily limit reached

I’ve noticed over the last openings that lots of models are shown as sold out after the shop closes, but then end up showing as in stock again a few days/weeks afterwards. Think it must be a software thing.

Blog Entries
    Yeah probably the daily limit reached
    I must admit that I've not made the effort to examine how Shopify works in great detail but it seems to me that the daily limit on total sales is likely to be a different thing to stock levels.

So when an item shows as "Out of stock" I suspect that that is what the Shopify software really thinks its the case. I.e. All the items of that model have been sold, as far as Shopify is concerned. It sold what it was told there was to sell of that model.

So when the daily of total sales number is reached then Shopify stops taking orders (or Eddie manually shuts it down) even if items are still in stock for sale in Shopify's stock control database. For example, the white Monopusher is still shown as in stock.

Craftsman
    Here’s a comparison of two acrylic crystals. One domed and one flat. The domed still has a milky ring.

Craftsman
    A couple more for comparison. The prs 29a is acrylic and the rolly flat sapphire.