closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 37th America's Cup

37th America's Cup

The protocol for the next America's Cup is due to be released pretty soon. It should include a location and it may well not be in New Zealand despite that being the holder's preference (link). Here are a couple of links that may be of interest:

Master
    Blog Entries
    What’s your guess on the location?

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    What’s your guess on the location?
    With the RYS as the Challenger of Record, Portsmouth / the Solent must be in the running but I have no inkling as to where else may be in contention. Perhaps Italy or neutral waters (money too) in the middle or far East?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    With the RYS as the Challenger of Record, Portsmouth / the Solent must be in the running but I have no inkling as to where else may be in contention. Perhaps Italy or neutral waters (money too) in the middle or far East?
    Portsmouth would be dire ... it has to go to somewhere that has a good chance of delivering consistent wind and sunshine. San Fran was the best venue.

The protocol has been published...link...but any decision on a venue has been deferred until 22 March 2022.

There are plenty of articles on the net but here are a couple of links:

Barcelona is the Host Venue for the 37th America’s Cup to be held in September and October of 2024:

...America’s Cup Defender Emirates Team New Zealand CEO Grant Dalton is delighted to announce Barcelona as the Host Venue after a long and competitive venue selection process. “Barcelona really is one of the most recognised cities in the world so to have the ability to host the most recognised sailing event in the world is hugely exciting. As Defender of the America’s Cup, we have always felt the responsibility to grow the event, the audience, and the sport of sailing on a global scale and certainly having the event hosted in a significant city such as Barcelona will allow us to propel the growth trajectory on the global sporting stage. When thinking ahead to the 37th America’s Cup and the AC75’s racing within a few hundred metres of the Barcelona beach, waterfront, and race village fan engagement zones it will be nothing less than spectacular.”...

The boats...AC75, AC40 & LEQ12.

The AC40 had a bit of a problem:

ICYMI The second preliminary Regatta is under way in Jeddah...YouTube.

Edit: Yesterday...7 knots of wind and 30 knots boat speed. Now to catch up with today's racing...
    Last edited by PickleB; 1st December 2023 at 11:53.

Master
    ICYMI The second preliminary Regatta is under way in Jeddah...YouTube.

Edit: Yesterday...7 knots of wind and 30 knots boat speed. Now to catch up with today's racing...
    We used to talk about sailing in light airs when dinghy sailing . ^^^^^^^^^^^This is just another technological level :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sail GP is a better watch imho. SBA poor … time to give the nippers a go

Craftsman
    Have to agree, SailGP is a much better watch. Found the AC40 racing pretty boring.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 33mgb View Post
    Have to agree, SailGP is a much better watch. Found the AC40 racing pretty boring.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
    Their next regatta will be for the AC75s.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully that will offer some better racing.

SBA need to step off the boat.

They should have signed Goodison. Big mistake.

ICYMI:

Craftsman
    First impressions....pretty dull really. Starts are good, but match racing format with these boats just isn't entertaining.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

First impressions....pretty dull really. Starts are good, but match racing format with these boats just isn't entertaining.

Let's hope that the racing gets closer as they learn more about the boats.

Meanwhile...the Results and Standings.

Master
    Just been on the beach beer in hand watching this today , added bonus for us
    as we have been in Barcelona all week !
    Set up seems great and well attended !

Master
    Blog Entries
    Let's hope that the racing gets closer as they learn more about the boats.

Meanwhile...the Results and Standings.
    Aye, I’m sure the competition will get tighter as the event progresses.

Incredible boats.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Dreadful start.

Dreadful start.
    I'm only just catching up with today's racing and glimpsed the finish of R2 (to which I think you are referring) before going back to R1.

A question...does anyone know what technology they use to show the wind field across the race course, please? It's feature that I haven't seen before and it's a useful one. I'd guess that it's some form of Doppler radar but really haven't a clue.

Edit: Found the answer...it's LiDAR. See this link

Edit 2: In case anyone else it as out of touch as I am and are wondering how, given the latest rules on nationality, Aussie Jimmy Spithill qualifies for the Italian boat...see this article. The rules are that:

...100% of the race crew for each competitor to either be a passport holder of the country of the team’s yacht club or to have been physically present in that country for 18 months of the previous three years prior to 17th March 2021
    Last edited by PickleB; 23rd August 2024 at 14:56. Reason: edits then added link to LiDAR to explain how it works

Last edited by PickleB; 23rd August 2024 at 15:20.

At least Britannia isn't a complete dog, but can it beat the French boat today? I think that it should but BA and crew need to eliminate the errors. No hope of making the final of this preliminary regatta but hopefully the experience will allow them to improve the overall performance.

Edit: Very interesting starts to the first two races today.
    Last edited by PickleB; 25th August 2024 at 13:50.

Craftsman
    Much more interesting to watch today with shifty conditions.

Craftsman

I take it back! Hopefully it continues like this. Pretty impressive.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Today was more entertaining. Lots of errors.

Ineos looks like they are some ways behind the USA and ITA teams.

SBA is trying to do too much. No other helms are also the CEO and skipper.
    Last edited by Montello; 25th August 2024 at 22:16.

Today was more entertaining. Lots of errors.

Ineos looks like they are some ways behind the USA and ITA teams.

SBA is trying to do too much. No other helms are also the CEO and skipper.
    Dylan Fletcher has been co-helm this week, maybe to give him some racing experience in the AC75? It can't be good when a reserve helm only has experience gained while testing the boat.

Giles Scott took over from Ainslie at the end of the SailGP season and he's in Barcelona currently acting as Head of Sailing. I wouldn't be surprised to see Scott make an appearance as helm in the next series of round-robins.

But who knows...?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ineos should have signed Goodison.

INEOS make choice of Semi-Finals Opponent:

Ben Ainslie has made the announcement of his choice as semi-finalist opponent.

It is .... Alinghi Red Bull Racing!

See this also:

Master
    Blog Entries
    INEOS make choice of Semi-Finals Opponent:

Ben Ainslie has made the announcement of his choice as semi-finalist opponent.

It is .... Alinghi Red Bull Racing!

See this also:

I thought they should have tackled LRPP whilst they had the momentum over them, now they are gifting them more time to develop and may regret that in the final.

Edit. Assuming the semis follow form.

I thought they should have tackled LRPP whilst they had the momentum over them, now they are gifting them more time to develop and may regret that in the final.

Edit. Assuming the semis follow form.
    It was an options but I think that it cuts both ways. INEOS themselves now have more time to develop before meeting, probably, LRPP. They will also have an opportunity to watch what LRPP gets up to (developing) before having to race them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It was an options but I think that it cuts both ways. INEOS themselves now have more time to develop before meeting, probably, LRPP. They will also have an opportunity to watch what LRPP gets up to (developing) before having to race them.
    Aye, but I think it would have been an act of confidence and aggression which could have played out well.

Looks like they have chosen the soft option to guarantee a place in the final … but the objective is to win.

We will see how it pans out.

Ineos should have signed Goodison.
    He's not having a good time in Barcelona...link:

"Last Saturday, September 7th, I sustained an injury onboard Patriot, resulting in five broken ribs.

"After racing, while preparing the boat for towing, I was lifting the mainsail across the deck and fell through an open hatch into the hull.

"I struggled to breathe after the impact, but the extent of the injury wasn’t fully clear until further examination and imaging at the hospital.

"I’m now working closely with the medical team to assess my return to racing as soon as possible, while continuing to support the team’s path to the Semi-Finals."

Blog Entries
    I'm keeping a sharp eye on the Youth America's Cup in Barcelona this week. They're sailing a foiling AC40 and the completion is against the countries who present a 'real AC boat' and 8 invited countries. The Dutch crew is represented by a whole generation of sailors I know very well since they were small lads in optimists. The ladies will follow in October.

Master
    Pickle B I was watching Ineos vs Arlenghi yesterday. The video kept cutting to a “ team” boat. Are these some form of spotters that provide info on wind shifts to the boat .

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Pickle B I was watching Ineos vs Arlenghi yesterday. The video kept cutting to a “ team” boat. Are these some form of spotters that provide info on wind shifts to the boat .
    No info to the boat...the team follow in fast (they have to be to keep up) boats to observe and render immediate assistance should the worst happen. They also carry the team to repair and supply the boat's needs on the water between races.

If you're wondering what it's all about...watch the pre-start manoeuvring:

No penalty and after the start 35 knots plus upwind, 45+ knots downwind and 50 knots plus on the bear away around the mark. Keep in mind that the figure in knots is less than that in mph.

Listen to the cracking sound from INEOS as they change tacks having (we presume) snapped a carbon fibre component before the start.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you're wondering what it's all about...watch the pre-start manoeuvring:

No penalty and after the start 35 knots plus upwind, 45+ knots downwind and 50 knots plus on the bear away around the mark. Keep in mind that the figure in knots is less than that in mph.

Listen to the cracking sound from INEOS as they change tacks having (we presume) snapped a carbon fibre component before the start.
    Not sure they broke anything… that sound could have been the jib track switching sides and hitting an end stop.

Don’t think these boats can be sailed if they break anything significant.

Not sure they broke anything… that sound could have been the jib track switching sides and hitting an end stop.

Don’t think these boats can be sailed if they break anything significant.
    OK, nothing is certain until information is released. Until then, the commentators and the rest of us have to rely on the video stream etc. I haven't noticed a similar sound before (have you?) and others have commented upon it...link: "INEOS Britannia's mainsail was making a cracking noise through the tacks and gybes, most likely due to a broken carbon structure within the two skins of the sail".

Update: Whatever it was, INEOS didn't find it worthy of comment...https://youtu.be/qKRsSOBQJuw?t=289. Let it run until, at least, "right...I'd better peddle".
    Last edited by PickleB; 15th September 2024 at 23:45.

Master
    No info to the boat...the team follow in fast (they have to be to keep up) boats to observe and render immediate assistance should the worst happen. They also carry the team to repair and supply the boat's needs on the water between races.
    Thanks for that, so a mobile pit, excellent.

Master
    Blog Entries
    OK, nothing is certain until information is released. Until then, the commentators and the rest of us have to rely on the video stream etc. I haven't noticed a similar sound before (have you?) and others have commented upon it...link: "INEOS Britannia's mainsail was making a cracking noise through the tacks and gybes, most likely due to a broken carbon structure within the two skins of the sail".

Update: Whatever it was, INEOS didn't find it worthy of comment...https://youtu.be/qKRsSOBQJuw?t=289. Let it run until, at least, "right...I'd better peddle".
    Well if there was a minor breakage it didn’t stop them so all is well.

Semis will be done today so roll on the final.

Seems like Ineos have momentum and I fancy them to beat LRPP which wasn’t what’s I thought at the start of the RR.

Master
    Ineos have made a remarkable amount of progress since the start of the regatta. Before, they were getting overtaken even if they got a good start (and usually they didn’t) and made too many unforced errors. Their boat looks a lot less sleek than any of the others, but it doesn’t appear to be hurting them at all.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Noddy light race there … 4-1.

Craftsman
    Youth Americas cup has been quite exciting to watch in some pretty nasty conditions!

By contrast, days 3 and 4 of the main event has had some tense racing in lighter conditions.

Enjoying it much more than I thought I would after the prelim racing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Aye. Pretty tense stuff.

Shame about the breakage on LRPP today, that match was so close up to that point.

Ineos in the final. Let’s see who we get. AM on the charge.

Craftsman
    Yes. The match-up between AM and LRPP has been really good. Close racing. Whoever Ineos come up against, I think they'll be hoping for the stronger breeze.