closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC Ocean Bundeswehr Amag

IWC Ocean Bundeswehr Amag

to continue the introduction of myself: beside vintage Heuer models, I like the IWC Ocean Bundeswehr models a lot. Please see some pictures of a Ref 3519 Amag attached....this is probably the rarest Ocean Bund although the soft iron movement is not good for daily use.

sincere greetings,
    ralf

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Re: IWC Ocean Bundeswehr Amag

Cool watch Ralf, I like it 8)
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Grand Master

There's just something so cool about that style of watch, been lucky enough to see a couple in the steel & they are so warm - which is a bit of a conundrum!
    /vince ..

Master

Looks great, Ralf, like that one!

Master

Welcome Ralf,

and what a great watch! One the greatest dial/hands design ever!
    Apart from the the tech-specs are great as well.

Frank

Thats lovely - thanks for posting.

Why is the movement a problem? Isn't it a modified ETA movt anyway? Why is it not so good for everyday use?

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol
    Thats lovely - thanks for posting.

Why is the movement a problem? Isn't it a modified ETA movt anyway? Why is it not so good for everyday use?
    My feeling is, he thinks the 'soft iron' refers to the material the movement is made of ... :wink: :D

The Amag minesweeper ...
    http://people.timezone.com/mfriedberg/a ... _bund.html
    http://www.tictactalks.com/forums/IWC-A ... 40666.html

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Cheers, big-ears. Interesting stuff.

Great watch!
    It's just a matter of time...

Very nice - a rare beast indeed.

From memory these were never individually issued - were meant to be returned to the stores after a mission.........
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Stunning. My grail of grails, although I would be over the moon just to get a civilian Ocean 2000.

Why doesn't our MoD invest in something as fantastic as this? after all surely they would make money on the deal as they could be auctioned of to the public and the manufacturer I am sure would give a great price in exchange for the kudos.

Master

Very, very cool watch!

Quote Originally Posted by NJH
    Stunning. My grail of grails, although I would be over the moon just to get a civilian Ocean 2000.

Why doesn't our MoD invest in something as fantastic as this? after all surely they would make money on the deal as they could be auctioned of to the public and the manufacturer I am sure would give a great price in exchange for the kudos.
    Unfortunatley this did not happen with the Bund's - huge political outcry as to why the German government spent that kind of money on a 'watch' - circa £8k given the exchange rate of the day :shock:

Some links...
    http://www.iwcforum.com/Articles/OceanBund/text.html
    http://www.tictactalks.com/forums/IWC-A ... 40666.html
    http://people.timezone.com/mfriedberg/a ... _bund.html
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Blooming heck that makes the current prices for the less rare Ocean Bunds look cheap in comparison. I badly want an Ocean of some type but current pricing on the civilian one starts from £3K. Too much for me, I need to do more hours or put my rate up.

Thanks for the links, I have looked through 2 of those before but didn't take in the original price.

Master

one of my many grails :P

thanks for all compliments, gentleman
    to answer the question regarding the "non every day watch" movement:
    all Ocean Bund watches are surely made for heavy duty every day use, except one refereence, and this one reference is the one I am showing on my picture, it is the very special antimagnetical Reference 3519, it was constructed for the bomb-diver units and made the socalled stanag test before it got delivered, the stanag test made sure, that there was not a single part on the watch magnetical. This had to be as the diver who was supposed to defuse the depth charge was surely not allowed to carry any magnetiral (iron) piece with on his dive mission as the bomb was constructed to trigger when a metall piece (a boat) comes close to it.

One of my few Big Grails left to find, and most likely my next big buy if I can find one. Lovely watch and a classic mil diver. I love my 3529 and 3314, they are capable daily wearers and up to the task (unlike some vintage watches).

a real beauty... seen only one or two for sale the last few years

Apprentice

The Ocean Bund is my grail watch, too

A pity that someone hasn't "picked up the gauntlet" and done some sort of homage and recreated this watch. Even a matte or PVD steel version would be cool, given the fact that steel is easier to work with.

I've always liked the shape of the bezel - minimalistic and suberb handling. Not overly crowded with a million small numbers and indicies, just a single white triangle.

The dial is also superb with all indicies/markers having the same length. Readability is nothing short of excellent - in the "Mr. Magoo" range :-)

Another thing is the streamlined bracelet integration - something most watch manufacturers really neglect.

Take for instance the Sinn U2. A watch with great specs, but with an absolutely overcrowded bezel and dial. The hands are totally wrong for a diver, better suited a pilot watch. The lugs are "old school" and clumsy - not at all streamlined. The old EZM series had a much cleaner design.

The two things Sinn got right was the placement of crown and the triangle on the bezel.

I've noticed that http://www.mkIIwatches.com has recreated the Ocean 2000 dial - an option available in the Sea Figher OCN. Sadly, all indicies don't have the same length. Plus, the dial, unfortunately, includes a non-centred "MKII automatic" and a day/date field. All in all some rather poor design choices.

So, the style of the Ocean Bund is still unmatched to this day.

- Michael

Would have to be done in Ti. That's one of the beautiful things about these watches: they were the first all-Ti watch and made full use of the many advantages of that metal over steel.