closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where have all the SOTCs gone ?

Master

Where have all the SOTCs gone ?

I love a SOTC thread, but they seem to be a rare post now.
    C’mon don’t be shy, let’s see them !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    My fav threads too… would love to see more

I like them too- you first??

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    I think maybe people are a bit more wary of posting just how many valuable assets they have at home in this age on a public forum. for those who know how it’s easy to trace addresses etc
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    I think maybe people are a bit more wary of posting just how many valuable assets they have at home in this age on a public forum. for those who know how it’s easy to trace addresses etc
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Sad but true …particularly given we have have seen some accounts hacked …..

Do you have PM’s in your inbox / sent with your address or someone elses or sensetive data ?..
    Last edited by TKH; 28th October 2021 at 06:59.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Sad but true …particularly given we have have seen some accounts hacked …..

Do you have PM’s in your inbox / sent with your address or someone elses or sensetive data ?..
    My in and outbox is emptied weekly for this reason (also because the capacity is low and it fills easily).

As for SOTCs I have done one before but it was a slightly uncomfortable experience. Not sure why exactly.

I like them too.

Already did mine earlier in the year and seeing as though my buying has stopped it will probably be a long time before I have any changes to warrant another. If anything I'll be downsizing.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    My in and outbox is emptied weekly for this reason (also because the capacity is low and it fills easily).
    My apologies for going off topic, but do you have a rough idea how many messages it takes to reach capacity?

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    My apologies for going off topic, but do you have a rough idea how many messages it takes to reach capacity?

I might be wrong but I think it’s 50?

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    Thank you. I just did a quick count and I have 35, so not there yet :)

It's 250.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    It's 250.
    Are you sure?
    My inbox has been full few times and I dont think I have ever received or sent that many PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Thank you. I just did a quick count and I have 35, so not there yet :)

If you access your Private Message screen and scroll to the bottom, the folder screen informs you of the number of messages you currently have stored across both your inbox and sent items. Maximum is 250.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    If you access your Private Message screen and scroll to the bottom, the folder screen informs you of the number of messages you currently have stored across both your inbox and sent items. Maximum is 250.
    Maybe it has earlier been 50?

Edit.
    But good know that I don’t need to delete them anymore.

Maybe it has earlier been 50?
    Was once but that was years ago.

Master
    Was once but that was years ago.
    With my attention to details, that sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Great thank you, didn't know that.

As for SOTCs I have done one before but it was a slightly uncomfortable experience. Not sure why exactly.
    With you here. Love seeing SOTCs but never done one myself.

Might start a "slate my collection" thread in the BP and put them up there, lets you guys go wild and keeps the collection off the public forum.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    With you here. Love seeing SOTCs but never done one myself.

Might start a "slate my collection" thread in the BP and put them up there, lets you guys go wild and keeps the collection off the public forum.
    Its a shame as we are here for the love of watches but we need to be on guard.

Imagine you have done SOTC then an account hacked yours or someone who you have bought anything off “flip flops or bubble bath”….you have presumably sent the seller your address they have sent you their bank details.

So as Rusty said delete the old PM emails , screen shot or print any you wish to keep.

Its a shame as we are here for the love of watches but we need to be on guard.

Imagine you have done SOTC then an account hacked yours or someone who you have bought anything off “flip flops or bubble bath”….you have presumably sent the seller your address they have sent you their bank details.

So as Rusty said delete the old PM emails , screen shot or print any you wish to keep.
    All TZ messages come to me by email so keeping a record is easy.

Scamming is one thing but throwing up 100k of watches and then getting burgled after is another.

More than that. Likely 200-250

Edit I see someone said 250

Its a shame as we are here for the love of watches.
    I sometimes wonder if most of the people on here have even the remotest interest in watches any more. If you look at half the most frequent posters the VAST majority of posts are either Brexit Trump covid Bitcoin or whatever. Very little posts relating to watches.

I do frequent those threads also occasionally but for me it’s still predominantly a watch forum.
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 28th October 2021 at 10:17.

Surely the Friday and Sunshine threads would give people pretty much all the info they need if they want to rob anyone for their expensive watches? You'd only need to click on somebodys account and go back through their Friday posts to get a pretty good idea. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Surely the Friday and Sunshine threads would give people pretty much all the info they need if they want to rob anyone for their expensive watches? You'd only need to click on somebodys account and go back through their Friday posts to get a pretty good idea. Just a thought.
    That's the difference between stalking and being spoonfed.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    That's the difference between stalking and being spoonfed.
    I would have thought if somebody was planning on finding out where you live and breaking in, a little bit of research would go hand in hand. But I guess I can see making a post with a load of watches worth thousands or tens of thousands probably isn't the best idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I would have thought if somebody was planning on finding out where you live and breaking in, a little bit of research would go hand in hand. But I guess I can see making a post with a load of watches worth thousands or tens of thousands probably isn't the best idea.
    You could pop ten nice watches in the Friday thread over ten weeks and it might not stand out so much, but throw 10 Subs in a SOTC thread on a platter and the wrong person might perk up. They don't even need an account.

Imagine going through a home insurance claim and having to admit you put the entire collection on a public forum 6 weeks before the break in. You'd be twitching waiting for that confirmation of payout letter!

I sometimes wonder if most of the people on here have even the remotest interest in watches any more. If you look at half the most frequent posters the VAST majority of posts are either Brexit Trump covid Bitcoin or whatever. Very little posts relating to watches.

I do frequent those threads also occasionally but for me it’s still predominantly a watch forum.
    I see it as a general interest forum now. I'll read anything new and interesting on watches and contribute if I can but endless pictures of the same watch just leave me cold.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

Agree completely.

I was doing a little bit of background research on a dozen of the loudest voices on here (who shall remain nameless) who I would describe as bullies in the real world…..

In several instances, over the last 100 posts these people have made, on average 6% were watch related (if you exclude their vitriol on SC) and 11% if you include that.

One person has ZERO watch related posts (if you exclude their vitriol on SC) in the last 100 posts, and yet had over 40 about BREXIT, and rarely ventures out of the BP unless crapping on SC.

Spirit of the Forum seems in short supply, and seems to centre around petty vendettas and bullying for a minority, or blatant bull$hit.

And a lot of the watch related posts seem to be centred around investment potential, future price rises etc. The price of watches has risen exponentially (I’d say ludicrously) over the last few years and has changed the flavour of the hobby to some degree, which is inevitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

agreed.

I may be doing a SOTC soon with my new arrival. Martyn
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I find it an expensive exercise.

The process of taking the pictures and composing the post usually prompts a re-evaluation leading to more flipping.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My small collection,wanted to get down to just the Bremonts ,but never happened.

Never been a fan of those SOTC threads TBH.

Like the Friday thread, which I never look at, I find picture books boring unless there is something really unusual (which would be unusual in itself).

I guess it is a chance to show off but I think we all know what a Sub and a Daytona look like.

Very few interesting horological threads any more just pretty much investment, plastic stickers and waiting lists.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Never been a fan of those SOTC threads TBH.

Like the Friday thread, which I never look at, I find picture books boring unless there is something really unusual (which would be unusual in itself).

I guess it is a chance to show off but I think we all know what a Sub and a Daytona look like.

Very few interesting horological threads any more just pretty much investment, plastic stickers and waiting lists.
    But you’ve generally always been a miserable sod

Sent using Tapatalk. Excuse the lack of apostrophes.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Agree completely.

I was doing a little bit of background research on a dozen of the loudest voices on here (who shall remain nameless) who I would describe as bullies in the real world…..

In several instances, over the last 100 posts these people have made, on average 6% were watch related (if you exclude their vitriol on SC) and 11% if you include that.

One person has ZERO watch related posts (if you exclude their vitriol on SC) in the last 100 posts, and yet had over 40 about BREXIT, and rarely ventures out of the BP unless crapping on SC.

Spirit of the Forum seems in short supply, and seems to centre around petty vendettas and bullying for a minority, or blatant bull$hit.
    Agree with this, I tend to float around WT, SC, G&D and the good old Bear Pit and get involved across the board, some threads though are just toxic which I mainly stay out of but now and again get dragged into and wonder why I said anything!

Brexit Benefits for instance is just all the same people saying the same things over and over again and agreeing with each other, some you rarely see outside of the BP now which is a shame..

Blog Entries
    Agree completely.

Oooo, what have you found? Can you, dare you, post a summary of your findings, omitting names? :-) In the BP of course...

Looking at the member list I see that I'm only in 16th place of loudest (well, most loquacious) voices.

Agree completely.

Doing the research is no good without publishing the findings.

I don't venture into the BP. On occasion when I did in the past it severely ruined my perception of some people who seemed OK on the surface.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I don't doubt the spirit is still there but I think Brexit and Covid have had a particularly polarising effect on folk which might be a factor in more pointy discussions.

From a watch perspective, increased prices have limited the range of watches available and I've tried most of what I'm interested in thus my collection has had fewer big purchases in recent years and less change generally so I'm browsing watches a lot less.

Master
    My take on this is that the Friday pics are fine. It is showing what Fred Bloggs is wearing at this moment in time and it is often more interesting if there is some sort of background scene. My favourite which unfortunately rarely occurs is seeing a tool watch action such as a Submariner under the water, preferably in the sea with a shark in the background. That would be cool.

I have a 1655 Explorer and I have often considered taking a pic of it when the wife and I are spelunking.

The SOTC's are a case of too much is often less.

I think if your wearing a sub underwater with a shark behind you, posting a quick pic on the Friday thread would be the last thing on your mind.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think if your wearing a sub underwater with a shark behind you, posting a quick pic on the Friday thread would be the last thing on your mind.
    Different story for instagrammers though ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    My take on this is that the Friday pics are fine. It is showing what Fred Bloggs is wearing at this moment in time and it is often more interesting if there is some sort of background scene. My favourite which unfortunately rarely occurs is seeing a tool watch action such as a Submariner under the water, preferably in the sea with a shark in the background. That would be cool.

I have a 1655 Explorer and I have often considered taking a pic of it when the wife and I are spelunking.
    You dirty beast!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

The SOTC's are a case of too much is often less.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I disagree. Prefer a SOTC, especially if there is a story behind the watches.

Friday thread watches are often just what is being worn because of the Friday thread.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Different story for instagrammers though ;)
    A valid point well presented

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Oooo, what have you found? Can you, dare you, post a summary of your findings, omitting names? :-) In the BP of course...

Looking at the member list I see that I'm only in 16th place of loudest (well, most loquacious) voices.

Not meaning you Mark, but there’s lots of people on here saying absolutely nothing but saying it too loud……

I wouldn’t name people because that would be entering into exactly the type of petty vendetta and bullying that I am moaning about…..

Suffice to say, some of those people would give an Aspirin a headache.

I disagree. Prefer a SOTC, especially if there is a story behind the watches.

Friday thread watches are often just what is being worn because of the Friday thread.
    ...or often not actually being worn or even anywhere near a wrist

Blog Entries
    Not meaning you Mark, but there’s lots of people on here saying absolutely nothing but saying it too loud……

I wouldn’t name people because that would be entering into exactly the type of petty vendetta and bullying that I am moaning about…..

Suffice to say, some of those people would give an Aspirin a headache.
    Hehe

Grand Master
    I’ve got mixed feelings about SOTC posts. In many cases the poster owns several watches that all look alike and to me that’s a boring collection. Diversity in metals, styles and eras is what makes an interesting collection in my view but I think I’m in the minority on here thesedays.

I’ve always had concerns about the security aspects. Posting a picture and a write- up if a watch is fine, but displaying a whole collection that’s worth a significant amount is unwise.