closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to find someones insurance company from reg?

How to find someones insurance company from reg?

I've just been knocked off my bike on the way back from picking up my son from school. The driver refused to provide his insurance details and drove off. There is damage to my bike , my clothes are ripped and my legs are cut. Is there anyway to get their insurance details from their reg? Thanks

Just tell the police

Did he give his name and address? If not, I think he can be prosecuted for leaving the scene of an accident too.

As above, however, report it to the police and take it from there.

Master
    It is a personal injury collision, report it to the Police.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Just tell the police
    This. Fail to stop, fail to report and probably driving without due care and attention. When one lifts this particular type of stone, one also tends to find lack of driving licences too....

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

My 5 year old son was also nearly knocked off as well. I asked for his details and he said what for. When he proceeded to get back in his car I started taking photos of him

What details did he provide?

AFAIK it's not a legal requirement to give insurances details at the scene, but it is a legal requirement for the vehicle driver to provide their name and address, the name and address of the vehicle owner (if different) and the registration mark. In the case of any personal injury the driver is required to report the collision at a police station within 24 hours and also provide a certificate of insurance if they hadn't done so at the scene.

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 12th October 2021 at 16:36.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I hope your injuries aren't to bad, I think the only way you will get the Police interested is to say that you are injured, I'm not sure they will disclose any helpful information.

Craftsman
    Report it to the police, aside of that route there's very little you can do or find out due to data protection.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Report it to the police.

I thought you had to stick around at the scene of an accident when someone's been injured, unless seeking medical attention, otherwise it's a hit and run no?

Also:

If another person has been injured, you must produce your certificate of insurance if anyone at the scene has reasonable grounds to request it.
    https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/r.../car-accident/

Definitely call the police.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 12th October 2021 at 16:35.

I'm not sure if this will work?

https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

Cheers,

Adam.

Craftsman
    Google “AskMid”
    Input the reg number, confirm the vehicle details and it will show if actually insured or not, but will not name the insurance company .
    As others have said, report it to the Police

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post

Cheers,

Adam.
    That'll only show you if the vehicle is insured or uninsured, nothing else.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post

Cheers,

Adam.
    It doesn't, it merely says that the car is insured.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    To be fair, it does but it'll also tell you if it's worth proceeding. If he's not insured, it'll be an MIB claim and a hassle to get much less than would be recovered from an insurer.

Journeyman
    Just been involved in an injury accident and so you naturally ask that question on a watch enthusiasts forum. Chortle...

Quote Originally Posted by K-Z1R View Post
    Just been involved in an injury accident and so you naturally ask that question on a watch enthusiasts forum. Chortle...
    This section is for non-watch talk where the membership seem to have a grasp and ability to answer pretty much anything. Chortle…

Craftsman
    Hi

I think you can request their insurance details through the MIB https://www.mib.org.uk/check-insuran...r-an-accident/

Or you can go through your insurance company and they obtain the details

But from previous experience with company insurance claims as long as you have the registration you can use this to find insurance details and make a claim

Best

Without meaning to sound daft... did he realise he hit you?

Far as I'm concerned, if he hits you then drives off without giving details, that's a matter for the police.

Hello

As others have said in the first instance report it to the Police.

If you haven't already, document / capture images of the damage to your bike, your clothes and you. Speak with your Insurer, you may have some policy covering you / Personal Accident / Your bike etc. If so, in addition to the Police they can pursue it as well.

Best,

Ben

Master
    In case it hasn’t been mentioned, probably best to call Plod

Hope you’re not too badly hurt OP

Sorry to hear about the accident. Having been knocked off a motorbike I know how rattled it makes you, and you don't think soundly for the following hours.

Your priority course of action should be to contact the police, which is in your interest to do ASAP before evidence is disposed of (ie, scratches to the vehicle repaired etc).

Not sure how to identify the insurer but sure someone else here will have that knowledge. Can the case-handling officer provide that?

How to find someones insurance company from reg?

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    In case it hasn’t been mentioned, probably best to call Plod
    I’d second this.

Sorry to hear this OP. I hope you’re not too shaken up. First port of call definitely is the police but best of luck getting anywhere with them. I had an awful off when a car pulled out in front of me and I went over the bonnet after leaving a left knee sized dent in the wing. I gave full details to the police, including description of the car and driver, licence number, and a good look at my knee and the suggestion they check out the damage to the car. All I got was a letter stating no further action would be taken as there were no witnesses and the details of the driver should I wish to commence civil proceedings.

Take photos of everything. Take notes of what happened and when. Save any location data you may have on your phone - google maps/strava or the like.

Call the police - they are very unlikely to do anything in my experience, but at least log the incident.

Get in touch with the vehicle's insurer. My experience in dealing with the insurer of the person who hit me was amazing. Simply sending damage photos and a screenshot from strava got me a payout instantly completely ignoring the driver's story. They included £1500 for the little bit of skin I lost on my elbow without me even asking.

Based on your original post OP it doesn’t sound as though you’re going to be able to handle your own claim which includes personal injury so probably best you contact one of the innumerable firms of ambulance chasers who will do everything for you.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Take photos of everything. Take notes of what happened and when. Save any location data you may have on your phone - google maps/strava or the like.

Call the police - they are very unlikely to do anything in my experience, but at least log the incident.

Get in touch with the vehicle's insurer. My experience in dealing with the insurer of the person who hit me was amazing. Simply sending damage photos and a screenshot from strava got me a payout instantly completely ignoring the driver's story. They included £1500 for the little bit of skin I lost on my elbow without me even asking.
    How does he get in touch with the vehicle’s insurers? That was OP’s question.

Thanks for the reply’s. I was using my rather expensive electric bike so want to claim for damage that was caused to it.

My injuries are not significant and I’m just really glad he hit me rather than my son.

I’ve phoned the police and they are treating it as a hit and run as he failed to leave me his details. Hopefully they take it seriously especially as there were quite a few witnesses.

Your injuries may not be significant but if you can spare the time see your GP, and get him to record it (and your son). You may not use it but you’ll have it if you do.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

As has been said - hit and run.

Police will follow up for sure.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Looking back through the photos I took I’ve noticed his son (similar age to mine) is sat in the front passenger seat without a child seat.

Was your son with you, on another bike?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Thanks for the reply’s. I was using my rather expensive electric bike so want to claim for damage that was caused to it.

My injuries are not significant and I’m just really glad he hit me rather than my son.

I’ve phoned the police and they are treating it as a hit and run as he failed to leave me his details. Hopefully they take it seriously especially as there were quite a few witnesses.
    Presumably you have the details of the witnesses, which is a smart move.

FWIW.

Failing to stop after an accident or failing to report an accident 6 months’ imprisonment / Unlimited fine / Discretionary disqualification
    5 to 10 points
    R

Master
    I would go to the police,I think the amount of people driving round without licences or insurance is massively widespread as I seem to see every day pulling up at traffic lights next to chavs in clapped out shitheaps with the windows down stinking of dope,a guy I work with reversed into a brand new merc and offered to exchange insurance details and the merc driver said he would pay for it out of his own pocket something very fishy there but my workmate wasn’t bothered as he didn’t have to pay

I've reported him to the police and asked for his insurance details, this is their (the police) response "an application for driver details will be sent to the registered keeper of the other vehicle. The registered keeper is then granted 28 days to respond to any documents sent to them. If we do not receive a response to this, a reminder is sent out and a further 28 days response time is granted"

Looks like it takes some time but it does appear they are taking it seriously and I supplied them with all the photos. I'm fine really just a little cut and bruised but very glad he hit me rather then my son! Thanks for all the help and I'll update the thread should anything useful come up

Quote Originally Posted by K-Z1R View Post
    I can see you are quite new to the forum but soon you will realise this place has a lot more to offer than just talking about watches

Master
    Looking back through the photos I took I’ve noticed his son (similar age to mine) is sat in the front passenger seat without a child seat.
    Could the child be from the same school as yours?

Did he realise you were hurt? Completely oblivious or a complete ****?

Child does go to the same school and the accident happened 400m from the school gates.

I was on the floor when he got out his car and had blood running down my leg.

Master
    Child does go to the same school and the accident happened 400m from the school gates.

I was on the floor when he got out his car and had blood running down my leg.
    Wow, I would certainly be putting in a personal injury claim to simply show him there are consequences.

Also, it must be easy to work out who he is then. That’s got to help the police? Surely they should be speaking to him?

Journeyman
    I can see you are quite new to the forum but soon you will realise this place has a lot more to offer than just talking about watches
    Nice patronising reply.

In this case it was beyond clear that the matter should be reported to the police.

Master
    Indeed it’s something you may ask a mates advice say if you were out for a drink in a pub maybe

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Your injuries may not be significant but if you can spare the time see your GP, and get him to record it (and your son). You may not use it but you’ll have it if you do.
    Lol
    He may be able to spare the time to see the GP but unlikely to be reciprocated.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

This is the link for "If you need to check that someone else's vehicle is insured in the event of an accident please use the Other Vehicle Look-up service."

https://www.askmid.com/askmidenquiry.aspx

The car may be insured but is it insured for the chap who hit you?

Report to the police and ask for a crime number.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    This is the link for "If you need to check that someone else's vehicle is insured in the event of an accident please use the Other Vehicle Look-up service."

https://www.askmid.com/askmidenquiry.aspx
    That's good to know and it should help the OP.

R

Master
    Wait outside the school until you see the car again. Follow home.

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Wait outside the school until you see the car again. Follow home.
    Then what?

The suggestion will be something to do with his letter box, I imagine.