closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 99 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I will be relying on public charging but not an issue where I live;

Those yellow ones are all three pin (13amp like st home) so very slow (2kw), the blue ones are 7kw so a bit quicker but not ideal.

You really need the purple rapids for charging at speed although the 7kw may be ok if your mileage isn’t great; you can get 21kw in the 3 hours you’ll likely be allowed in whatever car park you are in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Those yellow ones are all three pin (13amp like st home) so very slow (2kw), the blue ones are 7kw so a bit quicker but not ideal.

You really need the purple rapids for charging at speed although the 7kw may be ok if your mileage isn’t great; you can get 21kw in the 3 hours you’ll likely be allowed in whatever car park you are in.
    Yes true, here is the map with 50 kw/h and up as a filter. That's probably a 5 mile radius shown on the map.

EV6 is THE ev to buy Imo

Recent reviews have as best ev in U.K.

It’s very e ace oooking without the issues with Jags

Value for money against many more £££££ cars and a great range etc too

Spec is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I will be relying on public charging but not an issue where I live;

hope it works out ok ryan could have the potential to be a pain in your ass.

My sister lives in Kingston and there is meant to be an EV point coming at the end of her road, but the connection has not been made for many months.

Last time I visited the 22kW chargers at Tesco New Malden were full & the Rapid Charger wasn't working so I was contemplating a few hours at Tesco that night to get back to Winchester and use the Super Chargers there. I was then told there was a EV Power Station around the corner which had 4 (empty) fast bays - they werent cheap at 39p kWH but worked and were fast and is still about 50 mpg effectively.

The trick if you don't have home/workplace charging is to top up at Tesco etc. when doing your shopping, but as people get more savvy, unless you go at odd hours the 22 kWh are taken (48 mph) and so you end up at 7 kWh (22 mph) - also the Tesco ones sometimes kick you off even though they shouldn't so the infrastructure is definitley not 100% reliable yet.

Once they have street charging it will be a lot easier for a resident to own an EV.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    My sister lives in Kingston and there is meant to be an EV point coming at the end of her road, but the connection has not been made for many months.

Last time I visited the 22kW chargers at Tesco New Malden were full & the Rapid Charger wasn't working so I was contemplating a few hours at Tesco that night to get back to Winchester and use the Super Chargers there. I was then told there was a EV Power Station around the corner which had 4 (empty) fast bays - they werent cheap at 39p kWH but worked and were fast and is still about 50 mpg effectively.

The trick if you don't have home/workplace charging is to top up at Tesco etc. when doing your shopping, but as people get more savvy, unless you go at odd hours the 22 kWh are taken (48 mph) and so you end up at 7 kWh (22 mph) - also the Tesco ones sometimes kick you off even though they shouldn't so the infrastructure is definitley not 100% reliable yet.

Once they have street charging it will be a lot easier for a resident to own an EV.
    True although I have a blue badge so can park for free in the seven kings car park (150m from home) and use their charger or I could go to one of the residential roads nearby and take one of the spaces outside where there is a charger in the lamppost (can even ask the person to move their car if it is blocking it). In reality I'll use the fast chargers at the Holiday Inn or New Malden probably once every couple of weeks and that's fine.

Blog Entries
    Just research your chosen chargers chaps, I was let down on three stops over the weekend. Luckily they were only cheeky top up stops, anything more and it would have been a nuisance.

The public network has a long long way to go still, not a great improvement in the last 12 months

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Just research your chosen chargers chaps, I was let down on three stops over the weekend. Luckily they were only cheeky top up stops, anything more and it would have been a nuisance.

The public network has a long long way to go still, not a great improvement in the last 12 months

Pitch
    Does your car not tell you if they are working/occupied etc? I agree that research is important indeed. Also nothing more annoying than seeing a PHEV with a slow charger occupying a fast EV station

Blog Entries
    Does your car not tell you if they are working/occupied etc? I agree that research is important indeed. Also nothing more annoying than seeing a PHEV with a slow charger occupying a fast EV station
    No, the car will tell you what is available at Superchargers and when set as a destination the battery is pre-condition a few miles out.

Zap-map on my iPhone app were showing the three in York as working with no reported faults.

Pitch

I live in Barnes, so adjacent borough to Ryan and we seem to have loads of chargers, including the lamppost ones that I assume are very slow. I don’t have an EV and no way of charging at home, but keep half an eye on them and whilst the fast ones seem to get decent usage the lamppost ones never seem to be used.

What's interesting is how the EV revolution has enabled brands like the Koreans (Hyundai etc) to move into the same upmarket niche as the Germans. Seems the EV buyer focuses first and foremost on tech and functionality over prestige and this has enabled the Asians to move upmarket rapidly. I guess in a similar way to how Samsung phones are no longer perceived as a lower tier phone vs IPhone for example.

What's interesting is how the EV revolution has enabled brands like the Koreans (Hyundai etc) to move into the same upmarket niche as the Germans. Seems the EV buyer focuses first and foremost on tech and functionality over prestige and this has enabled the Asians to move upmarket rapidly. I guess in a similar way to how Samsung phones are no longer perceived as a lower tier phone vs IPhone for example.
    Its not just the EV market, Hyundai and Kia have been on a lot of peoples radar over the past 8-10 years. They’ve upped the build quality, come with an almost unparalleled warranty, plus come with a vast array of extras you have to pay XXXXX for on other cars.
    In a lot of cases nowadays they’re a no brainier.
    Not to mention the residuals stay higher than some cars due to the warranty, my father in law was amazed a few years back when he chucked in his 2013 Kia Venga

In the same vein I’m amazed that Peugeot/Citroen have managed to convince a single person to buy one of their EV’s - bearing in mind French cars had a (perhaps unfair) reputation for having very unreliable electrics! - call me old fashioned but decent electrics in an EV are something I’m kind of looking for …….

Re the Tesco comment about chargers kicking you off

They are pod point
    You have to have the pod point app and CONFIRM on it which charger you are on
    Then it’ll keep you in
    If you don’t it’s 15 mins and it’ll stop

Also a 22kw charger is no good if your car/cable doesn’t charge at that rate

Three hours at my local Tesco - but if you’re over that you’re fined by iadking eye so you’ll have to be in the ball

Makes me smile Tesla drivers trickle charging for over 2 hours which won’t get them much rather than pay about £8 for a turbo charge in the supercharger that you pay fir down the road where I live

Once again I'm fortunate in that where I live I don't need a home charger. Loads of local chargers and some of them free too.

The only thing I worry about is for example I was planning a road trip to Padstow. In theory it can be done in one go on a single charge but assuming car isn't at 100% on departure and also that I want minimum 40% charge remaining when I arrive it needs 2 charging stops. My only concern is how busy those charge stations are en route - or if they are out of order. That's the one thing I'm nervous about. Tons of chargers in London but less so once you get out into the sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    I live in Barnes, so adjacent borough to Ryan and we seem to have loads of chargers, including the lamppost ones that I assume are very slow. I don’t have an EV and no way of charging at home, but keep half an eye on them and whilst the fast ones seem to get decent usage the lamppost ones never seem to be used.
    I haven’t tried the lamppost ones but most the chargers in / around Barnes are Source London which I thought were a bit pricey for how much mileage we got from a charge and also are not so quick. The car park at Putney Exchange has chargers on the roof where you can charge for free which we usually use when we go in.

Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    I haven’t tried the lamppost ones but most the chargers in / around Barnes are Source London which I thought were a bit pricey for how much mileage we got from a charge and also are not so quick. The car park at Putney Exchange has chargers on the roof where you can charge for free which we usually use when we go in.
    Do you usually find it easy to get an available charger?

Blog Entries
    Yep, agree with that and I would certainly move my guys into something like those.

We picked up another Model 3 this week and another due in a few weeks. Leasing through the business works well and the speed of charge, reliability of charge and Supercharger network (location of routes of travel from home and head office) is the biggest plus with Tesla and makes it the only option for us. I would dearly like to be looking others and a few years down the line that may be an option.

Pitch

I really don’t think that the charging network is as bad as is being portrayed by the media, but until the general public gain confidence in it, Tesla will still be the way to go for most people travelling long distance.

It was an incredibly smart move by Elon Musk, has and will continue to pay dividends for the foreseeable future.

I really don’t think that the charging network is as bad as is being portrayed by the media, but until the general public gain confidence in it, Tesla will still be the way to go for most people travelling long distance.

It was an incredibly smart move by Elon Musk, has and will continue to pay dividends for the foreseeable future.
    However standard EVs will be able to use the Tesla supercharger network by the end of the year. At least in the UK. Teslas use the same charger connector as standard EVs - it's only a software blocker that stops non-Tesla EVs from charging at a Tesla Supercharger currently.

They’ve been saying this for years Ryan; I’m not sure it will happen anytime soon.

You are probably right - as I say I don’t have an EV so it is merely what i have observed.

Regarding Putney Exchange, I remember when those went in, didn’t realise they were free to use (though you have to pay for the car park of course, allowing for the free hour for doing your shopping at Waitrose of course!).

Must say I think you would need to be very brave to buy an EV without the ability to charge at home.

I watched a Matt Watson Carwow review of the BMW iX. He did a mix of autobahn, city and country / B road driving in Germany and estimated 540 mile range. That’s got to be viable.
    I think Tesla will have to open their charging network because that will be a huge income for them. The Koreans and Germans are coming after them hard and seem to be offering better products and value proposition. Only the charging network gives Tesla an edge now.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    I watched a Matt Watson Carwow review of the BMW iX. He did a mix of autobahn, city and country / B road driving in Germany and estimated 540 mile range. That’s got to be viable.
    I think Tesla will have to open their charging network because that will be a huge income for them. The Koreans and Germans are coming after them hard and seem to be offering better products and value proposition. Only the charging network gives Tesla an edge now.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I’m pretty sure that range figure on the iX is kilometres not miles.
    Regards the Tesla superchargers, not owning a Tesla I’ve never been up close to one of the superchargers but I’ve read the cable is only long enough to reach the rear left hand side of a Tesla. In order to open them up to non Tesla’s they would have to retrofit longer cables on them all. No small job.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I’ve read the cable is only long enough to reach the rear left hand side of a Tesla. In order to open them up to non Tesla’s they would have to retrofit longer cables on them all. No small job.
    Eh, fit a 2m extension cable! I’m away to email Musk…

Blog Entries

It pains me to say it Dave (‘cause you support Leeds 🤣) but you are spot on, though the public network is bad IMO.

I really do not think the greatest of Elon but boy he has done a job in whipping all the main stream industry into gear.

You coming to fortress Carrow Road?? Be good to see our feeder club there LOL

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I’m pretty sure that range figure on the iX is kilometres not miles.
    Yep, you’re right (doh!). Still, 340 real world miles is pretty good and the competition is catching Tesla. Got to be a good thing.

Master
    The Rivian the US has finally started to deliver the R1T vehicles. Seems to have been a rash of YT videos on the off road tests they organised and it looks very good. In road trim it does 0-60 in 3 secs for an 8 US ton vehicle.

Do you usually find it easy to get an available charger?
    Yep there’s always plenty around. You can also charge for free at some of the car parks in Westfield but about 95% of the time we’ve been there the chargers don’t work.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    You are probably right - as I say I don’t have an EV so it is merely what i have observed.

Regarding Putney Exchange, I remember when those went in, didn’t realise they were free to use (though you have to pay for the car park of course, allowing for the free hour for doing your shopping at Waitrose of course!).

Must say I think you would need to be very brave to buy an EV without the ability to charge at home.
    Yes definitely, our car is a plug in hybrid so most the time is driven on petrol.

On a side note the new Defender seems to be the car of choice in Barnes at the moment there’s loads of them around!

Yep there’s always plenty around. You can also charge for free at some of the car parks in Westfield but about 95% of the time we’ve been there the chargers don’t work.
    Yep I think it is because they are app activated but there is no signal in the car park so you have to go into the main lobby to start the charge. Not exactly brilliantly thought out!

On a side note the new Defender seems to be the car of choice in Barnes at the moment there’s loads of them around!
    God, yes, and a more inappropriate car for the transport challenges Barnes presents (not) it is hard to imagine!

I take it all back; I arrived home at 2.30am this morning having driven to South Mimms services in order to put my daughters EV on a trailer and take her home.

It was the cars final resting point and the fourth charger that she had been unable to charge at due to it being down.

Meanwhile, a bank of twelve Tesla supercharger SS were sat vacant.

If you want to drive long distance in an EV, Tesla are the only way to go!!!

I ordered a Tesla Model 3 at the weekend. Got the Long Range in blue.

It'll replace our Yaris which was our second car, but I anticipate it'll probably do most of the miles for our house. It's only really the long range holiday work that it's impractical for.

I was really impressed on the test drive, and enjoyed the slime free sale experience.

I take it all back; I arrived home at 2.30am this morning having driven to South Mimms services in order to put my daughters EV on a trailer and take her home.

It was the cars final resting point and the fourth charger that she had been unable to charge at due to it being down.

Meanwhile, a bank of twelve Tesla supercharger SS were sat vacant.

If you want to drive long distance in an EV, Tesla are the only way to go!!!
    Wow I'm sorry to hear that.

Wow I'm sorry to hear that.
    It’s certainly dented my confidence and put me off buying anything other than a Tesla for the time being!

Master

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

It’s certainly dented my confidence and put me off buying anything other than a Tesla for the time being!
    Sorry to hear this.
    It is poor at the moment. I said in another thread (or possibly this one?) that the only local CCS charger to me was down for about a week.
    This in a county with 147,000 people simply isn’t good enough.
    Thankfully my home charger install will be completed today so it’s a big worry off my mind.
    And to add insult to injury, GeniePoint have announced that they are increasing their prices from 35p to 42p per kWh. How long before the others follow suit.

By end of 2021 the Tesla Supercharger network will be opened up to all EVs. That will help non Tesla EVs massively as well as I guess make Tesla Superchargers more crowded

By end of 2021 the Tesla Supercharger network will be opened up to all EVs. That will help non Tesla EVs massively as well as I guess make Tesla Superchargers more crowded
    Yep, positive for everyone else but a negative for any Tesla owner. The superchargers are going to be clogged.

Craftsman
    I'm speccing an EV at the moment, and one of the options that has perplexed me a little is the option for a 22kw onboard AC charger.
    It's a fairly expensive option to add on and I was wondering if there is actually much point in the UK?

I don't have a 3-phase electricity at home, or at work. Is there much of a use case when you are out and about on the occasional road trip, or will the standard 11kw AC charger surfice for the vast magority of the time?
    Most of the public chargers in the UK seem to be DC.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mutanthands View Post
    I'm speccing an EV at the moment, and one of the options that has perplexed me a little is the option for a 22kw onboard charger.
    It's a fairly expensive option to add on and I was wondering if there is actually much point in the UK?

I don't have a 3-phase electricity at home, or at work. Is there much of a use case when you are out and about on the occasional road trip?
    Most of the public chargers in the UK seem to be DC.
    not worth the cost imo especially if you have access to a home charger.

As you say on longer trips you will want to use DC anyway.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the reply, that was my sneaking suspicion. The whole charging / charger thing is quite a steep learning curve, so it's good to know from those who already have EVs.

Yep we'll have a home charger installed. Keep it topped up in the off-peak hours with an EV tariff :)

Got a Tesla in March and because I was moving house wasn't able/didn't get a home charger fitted until I moved. Fitting one at work also has taken months due to the ironically named "Haste" having to check the fuse really is what the electricity board say they fitted (ie they didn't put a 60 A fuse inside a 100 A outer).

I managed with the 3 pin and the odd bout of Tesco etc. - I did about a 30-40 mile journey and then it topped back up at 6 mph so took about 5 or 6 hours.

Having got a 32 Amp Charge Point fitted at home - 28 mph charge rate is a "game changer" and means I don't have to charge the car as much as I know I can top up or fill it fairly quickly.

I think my car has 11.5 kW on board charger and the home connection is more than adequate speed so I would not pay for an upgrade in the car, especially as fast DC chargers bypass this so the only real advantage would be faster charging at Tesco if you get on one of their 22 kW stations, but I get 48 mph there anyway and they aren't the most reliable either in my experience.

May be changing my EQA order to a Tesla Model 3 due to a cheap lease offer. That being said the insurance on the Tesla is much higher than the EQA even though the Merc is £10k more expensive. Surely it can-t be the Tesla 0 to 60 speed having that much impact? We are talking £130 per month insurance for the Tesla vs £43 per month for the Merc! Although Tesla is much cheaper to lease vs the PCP on the Merc

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Got a Tesla in March and because I was moving house wasn't able/didn't get a home charger fitted until I moved. Fitting one at work also has taken months due to the ironically named "Haste" having to check the fuse really is what the electricity board say they fitted (ie they didn't put a 60 A fuse inside a 100 A outer).

I managed with the 3 pin and the odd bout of Tesco etc. - I did about a 30-40 mile journey and then it topped back up at 6 mph so took about 5 or 6 hours.

Having got a 32 Amp Charge Point fitted at home - 28 mph charge rate is a "game changer" and means I don't have to charge the car as much as I know I can top up or fill it fairly quickly.

I think my car has 11.5 kW on board charger and the home connection is more than adequate speed so I would not pay for an upgrade in the car, especially as fast DC chargers bypass this so the only real advantage would be faster charging at Tesco if you get on one of their 22 kW stations, but I get 48 mph there anyway and they aren't the most reliable either in my experience.
    6/48 mph, what's that about?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    6/48 mph, what's that about?
    My understanding was that it was the distance you could cover per hour of charging.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    My understanding was that it was the distance you could cover per hour of charging.
    I see thanks!

Master
    May be changing my EQA order to a Tesla Model 3 due to a cheap lease offer. That being said the insurance on the Tesla is much higher than the EQA even though the Merc is £10k more expensive. Surely it can-t be the Tesla 0 to 60 speed having that much impact? We are talking £130 per month insurance for the Tesla vs £43 per month for the Merc! Although Tesla is much cheaper to lease vs the PCP on the Merc
    Maybe it’s because all the dumba*ses sleeping while driving and getting into accidents?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Sorry yes - miles of range added per hour spent charging. It seems easier to understand than kE per Hour which the car can alternatively report although obviously an estimate by the car hopefully comparable.

When my wife's company were approached by an insurance company to offer a flat rate cover to all staff on any car as an employee benefit, Tesla were one of the brands that they stated they wouldn't cover. Something to do with repairs following a claim taking a lot longer to resolve and ending up way more expensive. Everything is proprietary, no one other than Tesla can fix them etc etc. They'd cover Porsches and similar so it wasn't anything to do with the performance.