Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Career change

How about author?
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    How about author?
    +1

Great idea.

Rev you could do this in parallel, whatever job you choose.

Self-publishing is something that has become much cheaper.

How about author?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    +1

Great idea.

Rev you could do this in parallel, whatever job you choose.

Self-publishing is something that has become much cheaper.
    Great idea but see my other thread: no-one want the thing I've written! Alas, as I said earlier, these days journalists and "content providers" are doing it for free or a pittance all over the internet. Some of them are very good, too. It's back to the days of hobbyists and pamphleteers. "Writing for pleasure and profit" has become "post stuff online for free".

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Why not become a Bishop?
    The sky's the limit.

I'd like to reward you all with a little joke.

My dad used to manage hotels and told me this story. A businessman was staying in one in some city somewhere. Anyway, this chap was a long way from home and bored so he went out for a drink with some colleagues. On the way back to the hotel they passed a phone box (remember those?). One of his mates dived in, grabbed a card from a certain type of lady and stuffed it the chap's pocket. Cue much laughter. Anyway, once back in the room he felt a bit, er, "lonely" so he got out the card and looked at it. Without much in the way of a plan called the number.

"Hello?" said the girl.

"Umm, hi, I'd really like a massage."

"Ok. Anything else or will that be all?"

"Well, I've never done this before but I guess I was looking for something . . . more."

"Sex?"

"Umm, yes, I suppose so."

"So a massage and sex?"

"No, not a massage. Forget the massage. Just sex. I'm in Room 274 at the Holiday Inn."

"I know. You've come through to reception. You need to dial 1 for an outside line."

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    FFS, it's 'piece'. It's not difficult.
    Lol. I spend all day writing and proof reading, so totally switch off from that when the day is done. Otherwise I’d end up spending an hr drafting and redrafting, looking at my sentence structure etc. Bit too much like work for a little post on a watch forum to help a stranger out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    I'd like to reward you all with a little joke.

My dad used to manage hotels and told me this story. A businessman was staying in one in some city somewhere. Anyway, this chap was a long way from home and bored so he went out for a drink with some colleagues. On the way back to the hotel they passed a phone box (remember those?). One of his mates dived in, grabbed a card from a certain type of lady and stuffed it the chap's pocket. Cue much laughter. Anyway, once back in the room he felt a bit, er, "lonely" so he got out the card and looked at it. Without much in the way of a plan called the number.

"Hello?" said the girl.

"Umm, hi, I'd really like a massage."

"Ok. Anything else or will that be all?"

"Well, I've never done this before but I guess I was looking for something . . . more."

"Sex?"

"Umm, yes, I suppose so."

"So a massage and sex?"

"No, not a massage. Forget the massage. Just sex. I'm in Room 274 at the Holiday Inn."

"I know. You've come through to reception. You need to dial 1 for an outside line."
    Sorry I can't be of any help but I genuinely lol'd at that.

Good luck in you're future. I'm pretty sure you'll find something.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Stand-up comedian

Master
    Stand-up comedian
    It’s a crowded market on here…

Oxford tour guide

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It's not clear to me that you need to change your job. It's pretty clear you need a break, but I believe that's what the word 'sabbatical' means. Rather a lot of folks are feeling a bit burned out these days, especially those who, for one reason or another, need to be consistently alright for the folks they serve. So my first question is whether you have known that this isn't the job for you for a while or whether this is a new thing?

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    It's not clear to me that you need to change your job. It's pretty clear you need a break, but I believe that's what the word 'sabbatical' means. Rather a lot of folks are feeling a bit burned out these days, especially those who, for one reason or another, need to be consistently alright for the folks they serve. So my first question is whether you have known that this isn't the job for you for a while or whether this is a new thing?
    That is a really good question. Honestly, I don't know.

Burned out, yes. Also aware of "greener grass" syndrome. Sometimes a change is as good as a rest, sometimes not. Could even be worse.

Master
    Don’t think anyone has mentioned this so I’ll throw it in - supermarket delivery driver?

Seems to involve meeting and talking to lots of people (with a certain amount of counselling from what I hear), reasonably well paid, low stress (don’t know if either of those last 2 are actually true). Perhaps not the intellectual challenge you need but anyway.

Or perhaps combine the museum curator and stand up comedian role - local tour guide? You could probably get some part time / casual experience over the next 5 years to see if it works for you.

And just because no-one wants to read your *first* book...

If you fancy a change of pace ..................Imam?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Not sure if it has been suggested, but you've got 5 years to go how about training as a life coach or something similar

Rev-o,

As others have indicated, it sounds like you need a new challenge or a change for a while, not necessarily to leave your vocation.

Have you considered speaking to your Bishop about your feelings? Perhaps there is a project you could initiate or work on for a while?

Or maybe you need a new parish?

What you do is of huge social value - not all jobs have that, and you might hugely miss that if you no longer have it. That said, you also have a vast number of transferable skills…

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Rev-o,

As others have indicated, it sounds like you need a new challenge or a change for a while, not necessarily to leave your vocation.

Have you considered speaking to your Bishop about your feelings? Perhaps there is a project you could initiate or work on for a while?

Or maybe you need a new parish?

What you do is of huge social value - not all jobs have that, and you might hugely miss that if you no longer have it. That said, you also have a vast number of transferable skills…
    That is a good idea. He's actually coming for lunch later this month. Not sure if this needs a separate conversation though: don't want to spring it on him over roast potatoes.

Sorry for dumping on you all.

That is a good idea. He's actually coming for lunch later this month. Not sure if this needs a separate conversation though: don't want to spring it on him over roast potatoes.

It sounds like you have a good relationship with him, so maybe just indicate you would like to arrange a chat with him in the near future to discuss some ideas.

That opens the door to an “I’m feeling a bit adrift at the moment and would like to get stuck into something new…” type conversation.

I guarantee you won’t be remotely the first he has had a similar conversation with.
    So clever my foot fell off.

No need to be bashful with the Bishop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    No need to be bashful with the Bishop.
    Quality.

A bit of part time work as a freelance marriage officiant?

Master
    Blog Entries
    How about a position in public/church schools - maybe bursar/project manager etc? Seems a good fit, plays to your skillset and your references should carry decent weight.

Oh that is an excellent idea.

A quick tip from me, as I tend to be overly diplomatic in meetings and I often skirt around the issue when I should approach it head on.

Take your diary in on the pretence that you need to check some dates. In reality, it's just an excuse to have notes in front of you.

Write out the key messages you want to say. And then read them out. Force yourself to stick to the wording you have written. It sounds like a bad idea but it has worked for me.

Another tip - the only time it didn't work was when I was negotiating a promotion with my old line manager. Excellent manager and very supportive but no tolerance for BS. He saw my notes and simply took them off the table and started to read them. I had my minimum negotiating position written out. That shortened the meeting somewhat.

One more point - if he's coming for lunch, don't negotiate at the lunch table. Have the meeting first away from the food. Get the key messages across, then it's easier to discuss the finer points while you eat. Otherwise you will both be distracted by the mashed potato or the claret instead of the matter at hand.

with no previous experience in anything other than your present occupation you are going to struggle to get25/30k in the midlands area , you might want to sit and think on whether you want to work your self to death working on a building site doing 12hr days to get that 30k or doing something you might enjoy (museum tour guide ? ) .
    midlands wages are diabolical unless you have a very needed skillset or are willing to work yourself to death to get anything.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Excellent points. Thanks.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

I've revised my overly ambitious target and reckon I could get by just fine on £20k.

I wondered if there was any demand for a watch courier for when someone in the UK buys or sells a watch overseas. Seem like what's needed is a reliable person to fly out and pick it up or drop it off, avoiding both the risk of international postage and "other costs" (associated with import / export) that are now an issue post-Brexit.

I'm not swallowing anything wrapped in condoms though. Or inserting anything up there.

I wondered if there was any demand for a watch courier for when someone in the UK buys or sells a watch overseas. Seem like what's needed is a reliable person to fly out and pick it up or drop it off, avoiding both the risk of international postage and "other costs" (associated with import / export) that are now an issue post-Brexit.

I'm not swallowing anything wrapped in condoms though. Or inserting anything up there.
    You'll need one of those briefcases with the chain and handcuff attachment.

If you fancy something similar but with paperwork to ease your way past zealous border officials, vacancies with The Silver Greyhound come up from time-to-time and it is a pretty good number.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks again to everyone for their input.

I've revised my overly ambitious target and reckon I could get by just fine on £20k.

How about the defence courier service?

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    How about the defence courier service?
    Amateurs

Master
    Blog Entries

Career change

Amateurs
    Yup - Nice bit of easy retirement travel for lugging around a bag of crypto though.
    Last edited by Middo; 28th August 2021 at 16:06.