closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tudor event on May 25th

I might be wrong on that, but speaking of the bezel and crown being in steel with pvd coating (not sure about the case back though), I reckon it makes sense.

That's two of the most exposed parts on the watch regarding knocks and shocks, and unlike the case, these parts are fairly thin/fragile.
    So a direct knock on the bezel for example could I think result in it cracking fairly easily, whereas the steel can absorb a bit more the shock (definitely not the bezel insert though).

I see appeal in this watch in regard of its movement but not the case material.
    I'm fine with steel, it scratches but stays together. Ceramic doesn't scratch...it just breaks

Journeyman
    In this case I prefer the execution of the full black Seamaster. Not the same price though.

If you want a black divers watch there are other much cheaper - and imho better looking - options out there, with a proper bezel and no delicate pottery-based cases either ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    If you want a black divers watch there are other much cheaper - and imho better looking - options out there, with a proper bezel and no delicate pottery-based cases either ;)
    Should a diver have day and date?
    I only ask because you sought to compare a premium brand mechanical watch with a relatively budget quartz.
    There is no denying that yours is a quality watch, but comparing it with the Tudor is like comparing cheap plonker with a good Chablis, just because they'll both quench your thirst (or make you drunk) but the plonker doesn't require a corkscrew.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Could be said for almost all ‘expensive’ watches.

Long gone (mostly) are the days when watches were bought and worn for their intended purpose.

Sent using Tapatalk. Excuse the lack of apostrophes.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Should a diver have day and date?
    I only ask because you sought to compare a premium brand mechanical watch with a relatively budget quartz.
    There is no denying that yours is a quality watch, but comparing it with the Tudor is like comparing cheap plonker with a good Chablis, just because they'll both quench your thirst (or make you drunk) but the plonker doesn't require a corkscrew.
    Well, I find the day and date useful so for me - yes! I must confess I’m very much ‘over’ the cheap plonk/Chablis comparison - I have tried on a fair few Tudors and found them somewhat lacking at the price point. I think the issue with black watches is they have an air of the G shock about them - a tough utilitarian vibe that sits better with the quartz CWC than the BB with its undoubtedly excellent movement. You’re paying man jewellery prices for something that screams ‘I’m not jewellery I’m functional’. So better off with the functional quartz imho - and buy your Black Bay in a nicer, shinier finish!

Well, I find the day and date useful so for me - yes! I must confess I’m very much ‘over’ the cheap plonk/Chablis comparison - I have tried on a fair few Tudors and found them somewhat lacking at the price point. I think the issue with black watches is they have an air of the G shock about them - a tough utilitarian vibe that sits better with the quartz CWC than the BB with its undoubtedly excellent movement. You’re paying man jewellery prices for something that screams ‘I’m not jewellery I’m functional’. So better off with the functional quartz imho - and buy your Black Bay in a nicer, shinier finish!
    But you could say that against almost every other watch discussed. I am disappointed by the announcement because I expected other things, but the finish chosen is precisely one of the reasons why people will buy it. Not everyone needs shiny shiny.
    Both your watch and the Tudor will fulfil their genuine function. You will not rely on your watch for a dive, and neither would you rely on the Tudor.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Not for some, but if you want a ceramic cased watch pretty hard to beat?

Did people really expect a blue dialled Submariner with a Tudor logo on the dial?? I can’t see that ever happening, but it would be nice if they stopped rinsing the Black Bay for every conceivable case material and colour combination (seriously, is there anything left?) - and brought out something different. Perhaps the Black Bay has been a huge sales success - I guess it must have been, I’ve never liked the case shape so since the first iteration I’ve been keen for them to make something new tbh

A few shames for the BBC:

> Shame the day lume colour is not something that suits the case. It feels as if they just ran out of time last minute and decided to just slap dash some lume markers on without any care to match with a contrasting lume colour.
    > Shame there is no lume marker on the bezel at 12 any more.
    > Shame they increased the case size to 41mm.
    > Shame that it's some 14mm+ thick
    > Shame there's still no quick release spring bars being used given it comes with strap options in the box? (at least the photos I've seen anyway...)

A nicer dial aesthetic choice and keeping in-line with the 39mm case size would have put this in my radar for the near future but sadly it's way off it.

Journeyman
    Are there any benefits to having a ceramic case? Or is it just for scratch resistance?

For me this is a good looking watch and good value for money. Tudor do seem to be all over the place at the moment though. This is a modern looking version of a retro inspired design - very strange. Also the timing of the release is strange - why not release at W&W? Maybe this should have been released last year?

I think the main cause for disappointment here is that in 2021 Tudor have extended the normal BB into 3 different materials this year.
    Gold and Silver for the 58 and Ceramic for the larger 41mm version.
    And in terms of design and appearance, that is the only innovation they have applied.

Like others, I am very interested to see the anti-mag properties from an Si hairspring, and also a METAS certified watch (although the rest of the range is already COSC, so is there any real need for that?).

But for a few years now people have been asking for their favourites.
    We all know that a ""submariner" will not happen, but there are some really nice possibilitites that would fit in the range and not tread all over the toes of Rolex's Submariner heritage.

More BB 58s could happen (that range in steel is only 2 dials against many more for the 41mm version)
    The 58 could get a GMT movement, or maybe date for those that like it
    The Pelagos could be downsized make a Pelagos 58, still in Ti.
    Or the Pelagos could get a GMT movement.
    I am sure there are more.
    None of these are Subs, and they would extend the range more easily than moving off into manufacturing in novel materials.

They are also perfectly aware what people want. If you look at the social media on this (and I am sure Tudor do) there is a lot of "meh" liberally sprinkled with "I wish it were an X or Y". It was the same with the gold/silver versions, and the P01.
    But they seem not to be listening, even though the only models that they have released which caused waiting lists were the ones most closely associated with its (and Rolex's) heritage (BB GMT, BB58 and BB58 blue).

Novel (and expensive) materials were never Tudor's metier in the past. They did a few plated versions, but never anything solid in a precious metal.
    Time they concentrated a little harder, I think
    D

Quote Originally Posted by robbiekhan View Post
    A few shames for the BBC:

> Shame the day lume colour is not something that suits the case. It feels as if they just ran out of time last minute and decided to just slap dash some lume markers on without any care to match with a contrasting lume colour.
    > Shame there is no lume marker on the bezel at 12 any more.
    > Shame they increased the case size to 41mm.
    > Shame that it's some 14mm+ thick
    > Shame there's still no quick release spring bars being used given it comes with strap options in the box? (at least the photos I've seen anyway...)

A nicer dial aesthetic choice and keeping in-line with the 39mm case size would have put this in my radar for the near future but sadly it's way off it.
    I think you’re confusing the Black Bay with the Black Bay 58.

I own 2 Tudors...The Instagram ad made me cringe and think hard about buying anything Tudor ever again.

Craftsman
    What are they thinking with that voiceover - I assume it’s trying to be ‘hip and cool’ but is just embarrassing.

I've just expressed an interest at the AD. They are getting one or two pieces next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    I own 2 Tudors...The Instagram ad made me cringe and think hard about buying anything Tudor ever again.
    Very surprised one advert on social media would put you off a brand forever. Adverts mean zip to me. Only interested in what watches they produce. I don’t like this one but there will be others.

I've just secured one of only two BB Ceramics of the first 'batch' coming into VN. Should be delivered within the next two weeks, hopefully.

The more I look at the latest reviews, the more impressive it becomes (to me).
    The decision to purchase was made easier by how astonishingly accurate the MT5612 is in the Pelagos I bought last month (-1 spd over the period of duration). Slightly better than my P01 with the same movement (+3 spd), and considerably better than my THC with a T401, which runs at around +5-6 spd.

Looking forward to this one.
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 19th June 2021 at 09:14.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I've just secured one of only two BB Ceramics of the first 'batch' coming into VN. Should be delivered within the next two weeks, hopefully.

The decision to purchase was made easier by how astonishly accurate the MT5612 is in the Pelagos I bought last month (-1 spd over the period of duration). Slightly better than my P01 with the same movement (+3 spd), and considerably better than my THC with a T401, which runs at around +5-6 spd.

It's a very intriguing watch. I love the brand. Look forward to seeing some pictures.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

I see Tudor are at it again, trailling a "boutique edition" to be released on 23td June.
    It would be sod's law if they decide to make a limited release one of the ones that everyone is clamouring for.

If I fancied a ceramic cased watch (and I do) at a reasonable price surely it’s between this and a Bell and Ross.

At roughly the same price but with the metas movement this seems much better value.

Any other ceramic watches to consider?

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    If I fancied a ceramic cased watch (and I do) at a reasonable price surely it’s between this and a Bell and Ross.

At roughly the same price but with the metas movement this seems much better value.

Any other ceramic watches to consider?
    Captain cook ceramic?

I also like the look of this: but it’s not one I could pull off

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post

The decision to purchase was made easier by how astonishingly accurate the MT5612 is in the Pelagos I bought last month (-1 spd over the period of duration). Slightly better than my P01 with the same movement (+3 spd), and considerably better than my THC with a T401, which runs at around +5-6 spd.

Congrats on getting half the country's allocation ;)

After the initial trashing I think it's really interesting and I wouldn't rule out buying one. I had the DSOTM before but felt it was too expensive if something went wrong. The Tudor would tick the same box and be a more care free wearer.

When you get it please do let us know if the rotor is loud. The DSOTM rotor was really loud and a bit off putting. I always figured it was due to the ceramic case.

Think anyone will be brave enough to fill in the bezel markers with white paint or lume?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Congrats on getting half the country's allocation ;)
    Thanks.

When you get it please do let us know if the rotor is loud. The DSOTM rotor was really loud and a bit off putting. I always figured it was due to the ceramic case.
    Interesting. None of my other Tudors are loud, or even noticable, so I'll definitely keep and ear out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Think anyone will be brave enough to fill in the bezel markers with white paint or lume?
    I'll nick some Tippex from the office

Craftsman
    Just seen it’s a BB58 bronze. Not very exciting but looks quite nice.

They’ve changed the clasp on the bracelet - looks more Rolex-ey but a shame to lose the shield detail which I always thought was a clever touch.

Quote Originally Posted by MalaMD View Post
    Just seen it’s a BB58 bronze. Not very exciting but looks quite nice.

They’ve changed the clasp on the bracelet - looks more Rolex-ey but a shame to lose the shield detail which I always thought was a clever touch.
    Quite underwhelming, apart from the new adjustable clasp.

The Tudor AD was sitting in my living when it was announced, delivering me this...

I’ll take some better shots at the weekend.

Sent using Tapatalk. Excuse the lack of apostrophes.

Can't think of another bronze watch with bronze bracelet. Nice to see Tudor pushing the 58 line-up however I feel most of us want the steel version in more colours, rather than more metal options.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

Can't think of another bronze watch with bronze bracelet. Nice to see Tudor pushing the 58 line-up however I feel most of us want the steel version in more colours, rather than more metal options.
    I absolutely love that. I'm a recent convert to the BB58 line. I have the blue but I wouldn't add the black (original) as it's too similar to my blue. This bronze, however, is very different. Bravo Tudor I say!

Master
    I hope and expect the micro adjusting clasp will be released on all BB models. I’ll buy one for my 58 and GMT if it is.

Craftsman
    Is it just me or has tudors website crashed again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can't think of another bronze watch with bronze bracelet.
    Oris have a few models in their sixty five range.

I like the look of it as is, not sure I’d be so happy with full patination, nor have the inclination to treat it. Price seems reasonable at £3.4K though.

Yep. A simple black and stainless steel version, no gold/gilt (basically the blue, but in black), with the new micro adjust thrown in, would be superb.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Yep. A simple black and stainless steel version, no gold/gilt (basically the blue, but in black), with the new micro adjust thrown in, would be superb.
    I agree. And a 58 GMT!

Clasp/glide lock looks really promising for future steel releases.

Clasp/glide lock looks really promising for future steel releases.
    Yes indeed. I'm lucky in that I've managed to get a perfect fit on my bb58 but a glide lock would be a fabulous upgrade. I'm sure they'll take the opportunity to increase their rrp mind...

I popped into Tudor earlier and tried it on.

The explorer dial is rather nice and a change from the original 58 dial. The bronze case and bracelet are subtle and quite lightweight. Overall, as an owner of the original BB58, I’m a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by davide View Post
    I popped into Tudor earlier and tried it on.

The explorer dial is rather nice and a change from the original 58 dial. The bronze case and bracelet are subtle and quite lightweight. Overall, as an owner of the original BB58, I’m a fan.

Thanks for that info. Did you get a chance to play with the clasp? How is it compared to a Sub?

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Thanks for that info. Did you get a chance to play with the clasp? How is it compared to a Sub?
    The clasp is an improvement on the current BB58 in particular as it has some 8mm (I think they said) of adjustment over 5 positions so there is no need to fiddle with removing pins if the watch is shared with someone with a different sized wrist. I don't know enough about the current Sub clasp to be able to compare I'm afraid.

Price is £3390 - I think they said it comes only with bracelet and strap and is a Tudor Boutique only model.
    Last edited by davide; 23rd June 2021 at 17:37.

The clasp is an improvement on the current BB58 in particular as it has some 8mm (I think they said) of adjustment over 5 positions so there is no need to fiddle with removing pins if the watch is shared with someone with a different sized wrist. I don't know enough about the current Sub clasp to be able to compare I'm afraid.
    Thanks. Sounds like it's a great upgrade from the standard clasp. Do you think you'll go for one of these new bronze bb58s then?

Thanks. Sounds like it's a great upgrade from the standard clasp. Do you think you'll go for one of these new bronze bb58s then?
    I am very tempted - I've been wanting a bronze watch and this could be the one! But my standard BB58 would have to go :(

I am very tempted - I've been wanting a bronze watch and this could be the one! But my standard BB58 would have to go :(
    Tough call. Personally I wouldn't get rid of my BB58 to make way for the new bronze but I would consider adding it to the collection as the two are so different. I wonder how the bronze will age? I'd want to make sure the patina didn't end up making it look like moody gold!

EDIT: Were you at WOS on Ariel Way?
    Last edited by beechcustom; 23rd June 2021 at 17:58.

Tough call. Personally I wouldn't get rid of my BB58 to make way for the new bronze but I would consider adding it to the collection as the two are so different. I wonder how the bronze will age? I'd want to make sure the patina didn't end up making it look like moody gold!

EDIT: Were you at WOS on Ariel Way?
    Good point - the standard BB is the daily wear.

I was at Tudor/Rolex Townhouse in St James's Square - a press launch I suppose.

They told me that the patina should develop quite quickly - can be easily removed - it would be interesting to see how it develops over watch and strap.

Master
    Would perfect in all stainless steel for me. Not a fan of 'bronze' watches & less so with a bracelet in the same material.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    ...and of 43mm of course!

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Awful watch.

Terrible play on a boutique only release.

Tudor is the new omega with these subpar releases

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Awful watch.

Terrible play on a boutique only release.

Tudor is the new omega with these subpar releases

Each to their own but I genuinely don't get that. How is it awful?

Master
    I am a fan of that. I liked the al bronze Oris , but at 43mm would have been too big. This looks just right. Is the Tudor boutique in London only ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    I am a fan of that. I liked the al bronze Oris , but at 43mm would have been too big. This looks just right. Is the Tudor boutique in London only ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes London is the only boutique in the UK.

Journeyman
    I am not in the market for a bronze watch but I am pleasantly surprised that Tudor chose the 58 size.
    I like the look of it new but the patina can be very nasty and I don’t see me constantly removing it.
    I wonder if Tudor will update the entire 58 range with the new clasp and if so make it compatible with the current bracelet.