closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 201 of 357 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211251301 ... LastLast
Results 10,001 to 10,050 of 17803

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The Thruxton R leaves the factory with fully adjustable, race quality suspension - Showa on the front, and Ohlins on the back. I've pretty much adopted the standard settings as per the manual and the bike has always felt completely planted, no matter what I'm doing with it (and I do ride quite aggressively sometimes). The truth is, though, that I'm too inexperienced to know how much better it could be if I had it professionally set up.
    Before anyone spends money on better suspension for a road bike, have the stock suspension (static sag etc.) properly set up for your weight & riding style. They often come out the factory all over the place.

I do laugh when I see people bimbling about on the road (or track) with several thousands of pounds of shiny gold Ohlins when the standard suspension would be more than adequate if properly set up.

For really heavy riders, thicker front fork oil is worth a try before spending big money. Stick a cable tie on the fork lower, fairly high up. Go out and brake as hard as you dare when it's safe to do so & then see how far the tie has been pushed down by the upper section. If you've got 10mm or more travel left, you should be OK.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Before anyone spends money on better suspension for a road bike, have the stock suspension (static sag etc.) properly set up for your weight & riding style. They often come out the factory all over the place.

I do laugh when I see people bimbling about on the road (or track) with several thousands of pounds of shiny gold Ohlins when the standard suspension would be more than adequate if properly set up.

For really heavy riders, thicker front fork oil is worth a try before spending big money. Stick a cable tie on the fork lower, fairly high up. Go out and brake as hard as you dare when it's safe to do so & then see how far the tie has been pushed down by the upper section. If you've got 10mm or more travel left, you should be OK.
    Good Tip. Might speak to my mechanic and see if he will put heavier oil in. I'm about 97Kgs now so it might help.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Or vice versa for RWU forks

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    There’s no doubting it’s decent kit Tony and certainly good enough for road use. In Rolex terms however, it’s more Oyster Perpetual than full on Deepsea. Not that any of us really need more than an OP so a pretty good analogy in that respect, I feel.
    Great analogy

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Just buy this.
    It answers every set up question.
    Very easy to follow, with loads of illustrated explainations as to what does what, and how your suspension actually works. I've yet to find better.

I often think people get a bit too obsessed with suspension. Its a real buzz word when the real issue is that most people can barely ride!

Quote Originally Posted by omegamotorcyclist View Post
    I often think people get a bit too obsessed with suspension. Its a real buzz word when the real issue is that most people can barely ride!
    As someone who has been barely riding for over 40 years, I find it's convenient to have something to blame.

After 2 very enjoyable years with the R9T Urban GS I've just traded it for this....

I've had many bigger bikes, some faster, some more sporty but this thing just does everything so well it's hard not to recommend it...
    it's an F900 XR TE. 900cc twin cylinder, Quoted at 104 bhp and about 216 kg.
    not as outright grunty as the R9T but far superior handling and general performance accessibility. The Urban GS was stack of fun bike but not something you'd want to spend all day on. having said that , I've already added a comfort seat, touring screen and could do with mirror extenders. it's stacked with electronics too- traction, cruise, lean angle abs, dsc etc. and showing a range of 250+ miles on a full tank.
    So not a Ducati sports bike, or Aprilia missile, but will still hit 60 in 3.6 secs so a useful, comfortable traffic buster...

Master
    Goat lovely bike. The Genesis of that engine is the Rotax 800 fitted to the F650/700/800 range of bikes. No guesses for the long term reliability, its bullet proof. I really like the XR900 they have taken away the licence losing ability of the XR1000 and distilled out all the best design features.

Apart from the rectifier position:(

Steve

Which one of you TZers in Scotland sold a motorbike to my two friends from London earlier? They forgot to get a username but did say you were into Seikos and they seem happy with the bike!

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Goat lovely bike. The Genesis of that engine is the Rotax 800 fitted to the F650/700/800 range of bikes. No guesses for the long term reliability, its bullet proof. I really like the XR900 they have taken away the licence losing ability of the XR1000 and distilled out all the best design features.

Apart from the rectifier position:(

Steve

I rode it and didnt like it at all. The engine despite having good torque figures felt gutless. It felt a bit like a typical parallel twin does, a bit artificially high revving somehow which just nothing there. I also thought that it didnt feel stable in corners

I’m doing my first track day (after 25 years of riding) at Brands Hatch in a month. Present from the missus.

I’ll be taking my 1997 Fireblade. It’ll have a service and once over before going.

Any pearls of wisdom from anyone who has ridden Brands? Or general track day advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Or general track day advice?
    A bit like all motorcycling, ride your own ride. Don't just go mad straight off, let the speed build as you learn the track and the capabilities of the bike.

Oh, and relax and enjoy it.

I've only been on track on 2 wheels 3 times; the race school at Mallory Park on a CBR600, track day at Donington Park on a race prepped GSXR1000 and lastly on my Hayabusa as part of a Bike Safe course at Castle Combe. All great fun once I treated them as a track experience and not a race.

Here's my late father at the race school. The 600 was too big for him so they found him a 400

Master
    This is more than likely with me. I have one of the most wheelie happy bikes there is and I can’t wheelie it.

I’m rubbish at going around corners at any reasonable speed.

I get neutral going from 1st to 2nd pulling away from the lights using the quickshifter at least 50% of the time.

It’s probably just my suspensions fault though...

I’m doing my first track day (after 25 years of riding) at Brands Hatch in a month. Present from the missus.

I’ll be taking my 1997 Fireblade. It’ll have a service and once over before going.

Any pearls of wisdom from anyone who has ridden Brands? Or general track day advice?
    What Gyp said; go at your own pace and don’t worry about anyone else.

Let those behind you find a way past you so remove your mirrors.

Lower your tyre pressures to 30psi front and rear.

Look where you want to go (the track) rather than where you think you’re going (the gravel), the bike will make the corner even if you think it won’t.

Use all the track, there’s nothing coming the other way

Have fun!

Use all the track, there’s nothing coming the other way
    This is the most liberating aspect of track day biking, using the whole width available really opens up your potential to have fun.

Certainly reduce your tyre pressures. I recommend finding the tyre support guy as asking him for a hot pressure then check your tyres straight away when you come in every session until they have stabilised at the target hot pressure.

Grab some instruction. Try to get the 3rd session once you’ve got a bit dialled in and perhaps session 5 after lunch. Ask early in the day.

Make sure you have proper gloves and leathers that zip together.

Drink lots.

Take your own food, unless you’re really into greasy burgers for lunch. The catering at brands is not the greatest.

Keep an eye on your fuel level. You use a lot on track and if you run very low you could get fuel starvation.

Look as far ahead as you can.

Don’t try to be the last of the late brakers. Rushing into the corners will probably push you wide on the exit, which means you can’t open the throttle fully.

Relax - stay loose on the bike.

Don't be tempted to clock your speed at the end of the straights.

Enjoy.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Thanks everyone.

Hadn’t thought about dialling down the hot pressures but I’ll take a gauge with me.

Power ranger leathers are bought.

New for this year apparently is a compulsory front brake guard.

I’m in a novice group so hopefully will be sloooooow lol.

Or general track day advice?
    Tracks have grass or run-offs either side.
    Stay in between them.

Does anyone feel their love of motorbikes has influenced their watch choices?

Yes - there's been less of them!

Not in my case, they’ve always been unrelated hobbies.

Well, it has led me to consider a Seiko SCED055

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Yes - there's been less of them!
    Haha!

[QUOTE=Gyp;5775422]Well, it has led me to consider a Seiko SCED055

[/QUOTE
    What’s the link?

Not in my case, they’ve always been unrelated hobbies.
    Exactly. I don’t wear a watch while riding.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

[QUOTE=omegamotorcyclist;5776659]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Well, it has led me to consider a Seiko SCED055

[/QUOTE
    What’s the link?
    There was a range of watches made briefly by Seiko designed for motorcyclists; the dial is rotated slightly in the case so it can be read more clearly while your hands are on the handlebars.

Admittedly, it relies on you not having your arms properly covered, so arguably most wouldn't be actually using it while riding, but then I use a diving watch when I'm not diving.

[QUOTE=Gyp;5776921]
    There was a range of watches made briefly by Seiko designed for motorcyclists; the dial is rotated slightly in the case so it can be read more clearly while your hands are on the handlebars.

Admittedly, it relies on you not having your arms properly covered, so arguably most wouldn't be actually using it while riding, but then I use a diving watch when I'm not diving.
    Doesn't it also rely on you wearing the watch on the underside of your wrist i.e. the same as for 'drivers' watches?

[QUOTE=Gyp;5776921]

interesting but yeah hard to see how it would be visible - especially as it will always be easier reading the TFT on a modern bike!

Journeyman
    I like watches and motorbikes, but one does not influence the other interest.

interesting but yeah hard to see how it would be visible......
    Suprised that no manufacturer (that I'm aware of) have produced an extendable strap ( the type pilots use over their flying jacket sleeves?) and created a pukka full fat motorcycle watch?
    Waterproof/crashproof/easy to read etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Suprised that no manufacturer (that I'm aware of) have produced an extendable strap ( the type pilots use over their flying jacket sleeves?) and created a pukka full fat motorcycle watch?
    Waterproof/crashproof/easy to read etc..
    They just put clocks on the instrument panel three days!

[QUOTE=Stanford;5777466]

Doesn't it also rely on you wearing the watch on the underside of your wrist i.e. the same as for 'drivers' watches?
    Only if you hold your handlebars from underneath

They also put the time on phones, but that doesn't stop us buying watches

I never wear a watch on the bike. Just doesn't work with gloves and a jacket. That and the fact that I rarely care what time it is when I'm out riding!

King of G's for me - perfectly suited, and handy to be wearing a watch when off the bike.

New bike day for my dad and brother!

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Do like the 1200 Scrambler. Shame it's as tall as it is & I'm the diametric opposite!

That’s very, very, cool.

I always wear a watch, on or off the bike. Something semi cheapish and on the thin side.

Tried smart watches and a Rangeman but much too thick. Not keen on wearing something expensive in case a 15k accident turns into a 30k accident. Seiko MM200 works well.

Best of British night at Caffeine and Machine tonight so I'm pretending my Thai Triumph is a little more British than it really is...

Blog Entries
    Only on posh bikes! Not on the Enfield.

Although I did put an aftermarket clock on it which sits on the top yoke pivot nut. As for watches whatever I'm wearing at the time goes with me.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

If anyone is looking for a 2016 BMW GSA 800 let me know as my friend is selling his after buying a KTM from a fellow TZer here. It's the red/white combo version with 5600 Miles. Just had a full service and new battery from Barnstormer.

Comes with full OEM alu panniers, alu top box, Scorpion exhaust, some extras like givi adventure top box, mounting plate and original OEM exhaust.

Wouldn't normally mention here but as he bought his new bike from a TZer seems like the wholesome thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Only on posh bikes! Not on the Enfield.

Although I did put an aftermarket clock on it which sits on the top yoke pivot nut. As for watches whatever I'm wearing at the time goes with me.
    I had a cheap casio strapped to my off road bikes. It wasn’t a g shock but it took some hammer!

Can I ask if anyone has some advice regarding cameras for motorcycles.

I'm currently looking at the Innovv range but would certainly appreciate some advice.

https://innovv-uk.myshopify.com/coll...e-dash-cameras

Cheers,
    Chris.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Finally ridden something well aligned to my ability

Master
    Finally ridden something well aligned to my ability
    Honda Grom ? Full fat 9bhp, smokin

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Honda Grom ? Full fat 9bhp, smokin
    Almost.

This one is endowed with a full Yoshimura race system which boosts the torque through most of the range and peak power to 10 and a bit.

The owner told be to ride it like I stole it which I dutifully did, and whilst topping out at mid to high 50s in general, at one point managed to nudge 63mph (indicated) on a long downhill stretch.

I have to admit though that riding my Triumph home, my speeds were pretty much the same as I was achieving on the Grom, but with a more relaxed riding position. The extra 775cc and 55bhp wasn't really getting me much more speed, just achieving the speed in a relaxed manner.

Almost.

This one is endowed with a full Yoshimura race system which boosts the torque through most of the range and peak power to 10 and a bit.

The owner told be to ride it like I stole it which I dutifully did, and whilst topping out at mid to high 50s in general, at one point managed to nudge 63mph (indicated) on a long downhill stretch.

I have to admit though that riding my Triumph home, my speeds were pretty much the same as I was achieving on the Grom, but with a more relaxed riding position. The extra 775cc and 55bhp wasn't really getting me much more speed, just achieving the speed in a relaxed manner.
    Do you know how Andy's doing? Not seen him on here of late, and I think I'm right in saying you hook up with him sometimes?