closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Had my Covid jab on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Honestly mate ,it's not helpful trumpeting 'which is currently best', it smacks of vaccine snobbery. Some countries (including India) are having to go for unlicensed vaccines to try and get on top of the situation.

Latest research on the Pfizer vaccine from today:-

Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine elicits weaker antibody response against Delta variant, UK study finds
    I think paw3001 already deconstructed that one pretty comprehensively tbf Chris...test it against 2 x Pfizer 21 days apart, that's more useful imho as that's how it's been jabbed elsewhere...if you've only had the one jab, of anything other than iirc Jansen/ Johnson product isn't the advised thng to do is not go out and catch it, so mask up, distance etc.

No I don't wish to appear unhelpful.

My second jab is booked for Mon 14th June. Got a text today inviting me to cancel that appointment and try to get an earlier one. Hardly seems worth the effort so leaving things as they were.

It would be different if my local GP centre rang and offered me one in the next day or two, I would be round in a shot, but all the messing around trying to coordinate appointments for the wife and I at the same time just to save 6 working days, sod it, can't be bothered.

Will just wait for the 14th.

Got my letter today with my second jab appointment, which inconveniently is on my birthday and also at kick off time for England's first EURO's match. Thankfully I managed to reschedule it for the following day, and given I live in Scotland I'm sure there'll be no shortage of native folk happy to miss that match and take the available appointment ;-)

Had my Covid jab on Friday.

Honestly mate ,it's not helpful trumpeting 'which is currently best', it smacks of vaccine snobbery. Some countries (including India) are having to go for unlicensed vaccines to try and get on top of the situation.

Latest research on the Pfizer vaccine from today:-

Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine elicits weaker antibody response against Delta variant, UK study finds
    Maybe read the Posts above first before pulling out this comment and cutting and paste was has already been posted!

The study is a lab based healthly volunteer study look at antibodies after 1 dose with no link to effectiveness of the vaccine. It certainly does not demonstrate lower effectiveness as per your quote. That is very poor reporting showing a lack of scientific understanding. It is a lovely observation but of very little clinical value. Especially, when there is already data available showing that the effectiveness rate of the BioNTech was in the high 80s and AZ in the 60s!

We all get so triggered on here including me so I am going to stop again!
    Last edited by paw3001; 5th June 2021 at 11:17.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Maybe read the Posts above first before pulling out this comment and cutting and paste was has already been posted!

The study is a lab based healthly volunteer study look at antibodies after 1 dose with no link to effectiveness of the vaccine. It certainly does not demonstrate lower effectiveness as per your quote. That very poor reporting showing. A lack of scientific understanding. It is a lovely observation but of very little clinical value. Especially, when there is already data available showing that the effectiveness rate of the BioNTech was in the high 80s and AZ in the 60s!

We all get so triggered on here including me so I am going to stop again!
    Sorry Paul & Passenger - been a long day and the whole vaccine hierarchy stuff is pi$$ing me off big time.

Do not know why - I have had both mine!
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 4th June 2021 at 22:38.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Had my Covid jab on Friday.

Sorry Paul & Passenger - been a long day and the whole vaccine hierarchy stuff is pi$$ing me off big time.

Sorry from me as well. I was a bit grumpy yesterday and I am sick and tired of poorly reported science that leads to misunderstandings and unnecessary concerns.

I am not sure if there is a vaccine hierarchy, they all clearly work but they all have different advantages and disadvantages and depending on your needs then one may be more suitable than the other.

Personally, I prefer the mRNA vaccines, I like the science behind them, they are very effective, have minimal side effects and can be adapted relatively easily. However, we don’t know what the ideal booster time is (just the clear evidence of 21 or 28 days) and if they will need a second booster later. Plus we have no long term data on them. So taking that all into account, when I was given a choice of vaccine I chose BioNTech/Pfizer.

However, I suppose we have a very strong tribal mentality in the UK and so people wish to see their ‘team’ win. Hence why the Tories still have such ridiculous support! (Had to get a dig in at the Tories!)
    Last edited by paw3001; 5th June 2021 at 11:20.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Sorry from me as well. I was a bit grumpy yesterday and I am sick and tired of poorly reported science that leads to misunderstandings and unnecessary concerns.

I am not sure if there is a vaccine hierarchy, they all clearly work but they all have different advantages and disadvantages and depending on your needs then one may be more suitable than the other.

Personally, I prefer the mRNA vaccines, I like the science behind them, they are very effective, have minimal side effects and can be adapted relatively easily. However, we don’t know what the ideal booster time is (just the clear evidence of 21 or 28 days) and if they will need a second booster later. Plus we have no long term data on them. So taking that all into account, when I was given a choice of vaccine I chose BioNTech/Pfizer.
    I share entirely this analysis, and in fact believe that the mRNA vaccines are a new door that just opened on a vast new therapeutic field; their development will provide partial or complete solutions to many illnesses that are not properly treated today.

And, given a choice I would also have chosen the Pfizer with 3/4 weeks interval.

Having said that, I wasn't, and the AZ was received gratefully.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I share entirely this analysis, and in fact believe that the mRNA vaccines are a new door that just opened on a vast new therapeutic field; their development will provide partial or complete solutions to many illnesses that are not properly treated today.

And, given a choice I would also have chosen the Pfizer with 3/4 weeks interval.

Having said that, I wasn't, and the AZ was received gratefully.
    I'm sure I read somewhere that some believed they could lead to vaccinations against cancer. If so a huge step forward for medicine and science in general.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Fair do's Chris. Hagwe.

Re boosters, iirc Pfizer have publicly said a booster will likely be needed 6 to 9 months on from the 2nd dose, always seemed a certainty for the older more vulnerable folks to me..sounds more or less in line with the annual flu jab, presumably accounts for the lurgy being a slippery bugger and advances in Pfizer’s, and other manufacturers scientific knowledge.
    Last edited by Passenger; 5th June 2021 at 12:57.

I had AZ as ny first jab and got an invite to have Pfizer for my 2nd. Anyone here had a mix and match as well?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I had AZ as ny first jab and got an invite to have Pfizer for my 2nd. Anyone here had a mix and match as well?

Didn't know NHS were mixing them.

"Public Health England, the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation and the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency have all been very clear that in the absence of trial data to show it is safe and effective, doses should not be mixed. If you have a first dose of one vaccine, your second dose will be of that same vaccine too and that is what NHS organisations have been instructed to do."
    https://www.blmkccg.nhs.uk/covid-19/...cinations-faq/
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 5th June 2021 at 13:08.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Didn't know NHS were mixing them.

"Public Health England, the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation and the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency have all been very clear that in the absence of trial data to show it is safe and effective, doses should not be mixed. If you have a first dose of one vaccine, your second dose will be of that same vaccine too and that is what NHS organisations have been instructed to do."
    https://www.blmkccg.nhs.uk/covid-19/...cinations-faq/
    Exactly that's what I thought too. The call came from the GP as I was originally scheduled for my 2nd AZ jab in mid July

Blog Entries
    Exactly that's what I thought too. The call came from the GP as I was originally scheduled for my 2nd AZ jab in mid July

Seems odd. Perhaps a mistake?

Master
    I know they were trialling the mixed vaccine approach in the Hull area (among others) though I didn't see if there were any announced findings. Might be too early yet.

Master
    My understanding is that mixed immunisation is only being offered as part of a trial, or in some rare cases when people have had reactions to first doses (eg thrombosis after AZ) or are in other risk groups, where the evidence has emerged since they were given the first dose (eg thrombocytopenia for AZ or, probably, myocarditis for Pfizer).
    Probably worth checking with your GP.
    Did you have your first dose from them?

Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    My understanding is that mixed immunisation is only being offered as part of a trial, or in some rare cases when people have had reactions to first doses (eg thrombosis after AZ) or are in other risk groups, where the evidence has emerged since they were given the first dose (eg thrombocytopenia for AZ or, probably, myocarditis for Pfizer).
    Probably worth checking with your GP.
    Did you have your first dose from them?
    Hi. I booked my first dose directly with the NHS website. I'll check for sure with GP on monday as it does seem to be an error

I’d be happy with mixed doses.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you had mixed doses how would that work with Vaccine passports. Most countries are looking at allowing travel for those that have been vaccinated with vaccines approved for use by their regulators. As far as I am aware mixing doses is being trialled but not approved anywhere yet.

Quote Originally Posted by xdonolix View Post
    If you had mixed doses how would that work with Vaccine passports.
    It probably would not. It already is not a given yet that UK vaccinated passengers will be recognised as such by EU countries despite being with the same approved vaccines.

I am reasonably convinced it will happen but it has not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by xdonolix View Post
    If you had mixed doses how would that work with Vaccine passports. Most countries are looking at allowing travel for those that have been vaccinated with vaccines approved for use by their regulators. As far as I am aware mixing doses is being trialled but not approved anywhere yet.
    If in a trial you wouldn’t even know your second dose.

Double post
    Last edited by MrSmith; 6th June 2021 at 23:38. Reason: Double post

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It probably would not. It already is not a given yet that UK vaccinated passengers will be recognised as such by EU countries despite being with the same approved vaccines.

I am reasonably convinced it will happen but it has not yet.
    Spain, Italy, Cyprus, Greece, Malta and Portugal will see that happens as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Wales population 3.1m
    London Population 9m

Not knocking wales rollout, but for perspective England was hitting nearly 1m doses a day. Go England

Proud of all of them
    You have to look at % of population not the total amount. Wales have done well, my 18 year old nephew is done and jabbed a couple of weeks back and i was jabbed weeks back and im under 40. At the time in England under 40`s were not being done at all and people in England thought i was lying about being jabbed.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Spain, Italy, Cyprus, Greece, Malta and Portugal will see that happens as quickly as possible.
    They want the tourists desperately. All of them, not just the Brits who can afford to quarantine when back home. So the system put in place needs to work across the EU. German and Dutch are a prized target, too.

Master

I have had an ongoing prolonged reaction to my first AZ jab 12 weeks ago (extreme fatigue, light headedness, energy crashes etc) - one doctor I spoke to suggested I should request an alternative vaccine for my second jab (due this week).
    I have now been told that you need a referral from your doctor & will only be considered for mixing vaccines if you either had an anaphylactic reaction or issue relating to blood clotting following your first jab - even then you need to seek approval from the organisation resposible for the vaccination programme.

I would definately query with your doctor, as from my experience mixing is not something that is being recommended - at least not until they have the results from the testing that is currently underway.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post

The new lab data from the Francis Crick Institute and the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) UCLH Biomedical Research Centre also supports current plans to reduce the dose gap between vaccines
    My partner is friends with somebody at the Crick who is on the research team for that study, she (my partner) had her 2nd jab at the Crick on Monday and caught up for for coffee with her, good to get some perspective on the current situation from the coal face, even if it’s just guidance on measures worth taking now and what’s coming over the horizon.

most of what’s in the news sites is jazzed up and biased.

My 19 yo son is having has just been texted to have his first Covid jab

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    My 19 yo son is having has just been texted to have his first Covid jab
    Did he have any health issues (recently or as a child)?

My 24 year old son got an invite for his way before my 28 year old daughter and we could only assume it was because he had asthma quite badly as a child (or so my wife says, I only really remember my daughter suffering, so I'm obviously a terrible father! ) and some weeks before they started doing his age group regularly (actually I don't think they have yet!)

There was no indication, though, why he was offered it before others.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 10th June 2021 at 09:10.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I had my second COVID vaccination yesterday at 8AM.

I had AZ both times (obviously?) and suffered a mildly sore arm the day after the first injection, which had pretty much gone by the following day.

I had a very mild headache (so mild that I probably wouldn't have bothered with Paracetomol usually, but as I'd had the vaccine and was advised to take some if I had any symptoms I did take a couple) yesterday, but we were having our central heating and hot water system 'power flushed' yesterday as well and I suspect the fumes from that probably caused the headache.

I pretty much expected a slightly sore arm today, but, so far, nothing at all.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 11th June 2021 at 15:28.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Did he have any health issues (recently or as a child)?
    Nope, but there is surge testing going on in Kingston where we live, due to large increase in cases amongst the younger adults. Maybe that’s why he got fast tracked.

He is getting the Pfizer jab, as I think the AZ vaccine has been deemed too risky for young adults.

Just had my second AZ jab. Fingers crossed the side effects aren't as bad as the first! The nurse said so far in general people have a much milder response to the second dose.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Nope, but there is surge testing going on in Kingston where we live, due to large increase in cases amongst the younger adults. Maybe that’s why he got fast tracked.

He is getting the Pfizer jab, as I think the AZ vaccine has been deemed too risky for young adults.
    Mmm, that's possible too - We live in Hart where they had surge testing for a while.

M

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Just had my second AZ jab. Fingers crossed the side effects aren't as bad as the first! The nurse said so far in general people have a much milder response to the second dose.
    That was the case for me - very minor side effects after the second. Felt lousy after the first!

Had my second O-AZ jab today so now have full super powers

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    That was the case for me - very minor side effects after the second. Felt lousy after the first!
    Likewise.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I hate to say this but in the words of the American actor and mentalist John Travolta, I got chills and they appear to be getting worse ☹️

Master
    Got my second Jab (Pfizer)on the 24th.
    I was fine after the first so fingers crossed I’ll be fine after this one too.

I hate to say this but in the words of the American actor and mentalist John Travolta, I got chills and they appear to be getting worse ☹️
    Bit of an update. I've been in bed all day with chills and hot sweats, achy limbs and a mild headache. I also got very dizzy when I got up earlier. To be honest it's very similar to what happened after my first jab. Hopefully I'm through the worst.

Really odd how everyone reacts differently to the vaccine. I tried to find out if there was any data on a link between the severity of vaccine response and how one handles an infection from the actual virus but I can't find anything. There is evidence that response to the vaccine is more severe in those who have previously had the virus. I suppose it's possible I had it once but if I did it was so mild as to be unnoticeable yet my response to the vaccine has been quite bad.

Master
    Bit of an update. I've been in bed all day with chills and hot sweats, achy limbs and a mild headache. I also got very dizzy when I got up earlier. To be honest it's very similar to what happened after my first jab. Hopefully I'm through the worst.

Really odd how everyone reacts differently to the vaccine. I tried to find out if there was any data on a link between the severity of vaccine response and how one handles an infection from the actual virus but I can't find anything. There is evidence that response to the vaccine is more severe in those who have previously had the virus. I suppose it's possible I had it once but if I did it was so mild as to be unnoticeable yet my response to the vaccine has been quite bad.
    Glad it seems to be improving.
    These early reactions are actually nothing to do with the antibody-based protective response to the virus. They’re caused by what’s called the ‘innate’ immune system, and they seem to vary a lot between different individuals. It’s a sort of blast of non-specific inflammation in the body, caused by release of chemicals called cytokines from our defence cells.
    On the average, second reactions to the AZ-Oxford are milder than first dose ones, while the reverse is true for Pfizer, but that’s only on the average, and some individuals will be the other way around.
    There’s slight concern that these reactions to further repeat doses of mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) may continue to get more significant, but we’ll just have to see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Everyone high giving each other after injecting shite that they don’t know what’s in it.

Nice one 😂😂
    I don't know how TV works but I'm loving Glow Up.

Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    Glad it seems to be improving.
    These early reactions are actually nothing to do with the antibody-based protective response to the virus. They’re caused by what’s called the ‘innate’ immune system, and they seem to vary a lot between different individuals. It’s a sort of blast of non-specific inflammation in the body, caused by release of chemicals called cytokines from our defence cells.
    On the average, second reactions to the AZ-Oxford are milder than first dose ones, while the reverse is true for Pfizer, but that’s only on the average, and some individuals will be the other way around.
    There’s slight concern that these reactions to further repeat doses of mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) may continue to get more significant, but we’ll just have to see how that goes.
    Thanks for the info

I had no side effects after first Pfizer, bit've a sore arm aside which seems expectecd...Mrs P felt a bit tired for a day or so but otherwise all good. 2nd dose's lined up 21 days later on June 22nd, very exciting as we've booked flights to the States for June 25th.

Master

Had Covid at Xmas and had worse colds. My wife was wiped out for a couple of days with it. First jab I just had an arm ache, second one not even that. First jab my wife was really tired day 2 and her arm ached for a week or so. Her second jab no real issues. Seems to me it is just pot luck how you respond to both Covid and the associated jab.

Master
    Helpful initial UK data showing both Pfizer and Ox-AZ are highly effective at preventing hosptial admission after 2 doses: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/v..._content=daily

Those tiny differences are not evidence that one is actually better than the other in real-life use: this sort of study does allow such comparisons to be made, however, and this result illustrates why drawing conclusions on 'secondary' measures such as antibody levels isn't valid. There's more to immunity than antibodies, for a start.

Anyway, it's really good news.

Is this protective against hospital admissions that would have happened without the vaccine or is it saying 6% of infections will lead to hospitalisations with the vaccine as if it is the latter that isn't too far off what you get without vaccines.

For the record I am pro vaccine and happily took my AZ shot and awaiting the 2nd shot next month

Wife and I had our second AZ jabs yesterday. Fewer side effects than first time around as I have a dead arm and she feels completely fine. Bring on Freedom Day!

Got my invitation for second jab exactly 4 weeks after first. Sadly, I’m on holiday so have to wait a week or so.

Both my my kids and their Fiancées (ages 27-30) have had their first jabs last week and this week, all Pfizer BioTech.

Master
    These walk in centres with no checks needed - how’s this going to work when it comes to 2nd doses. What’s to stop idiots coming back for a top up tomorrow? Sounds like a panic measure to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    These walk in centres with no checks needed - how’s this going to work when it comes to 2nd doses. What’s to stop idiots coming back for a top up tomorrow? Sounds like a panic measure to me.
    Johnson has probably realised sucking up to Modi for a fortnight might not have been very intelligent.

>> Is this protective against hospital admissions that would have happened without the vaccine or is it saying 6% of infections will lead to hospitalisations with the vaccine as if it is the latter that isn't too far off what you get without vaccines <<

The former.