closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show us your CERAMIC watches!

Show us your CERAMIC watches!

Well we've had everything else, I think.

Great idea!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heres mine but it will be up for sale soon.

Bold prediction: This thread is going to be bumped in about 6 months with another B&R, a solitary Panerai and a story about a broken IWC. It will then drop to the dark depths of the forum and never be seen again!

I have a ceramic hob... does that count?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    SPB149...I think ceramic insert? Or is it all watch only qualifies?

Maybe for the sake of quantity ceramic inserts should be allowed, but I'm going make an executive decision and say we need the case to be ceramic.

How about the shroud?

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    How about the shroud?

Ooh... now that's a spanner in the works. ALLOWED!

Craftsman
    My monocoque ceramic Seiko Landmaster LE - fully ceramic apart from the bracelet clasp and extension which are titanium.
    This edition commemorated a Japanese explorer's crossing of the South Pole and was limited to 800 pieces. There are some nice subtle details to it, including the applied Seiko logo on the dial also being ceramic, as well as the collector's card. It also has a reverse GMT movement (it travels anti-clockwise) and reversed compass bezel to aid in navigation in the Southern Hemisphere. The ceramic finishing is also quite muted which surprised me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob777 View Post
    My monocoque ceramic Seiko Landmaster LE - fully ceramic apart from the bracelet clasp and extension which are titanium.
    This edition commemorated a Japanese explorer's crossing of the South Pole and was limited to 800 pieces. There are some nice subtle details to it, including the applied Seiko logo on the dial also being ceramic, as well as the collector's card. It also has a reverse GMT movement (it travels anti-clockwise) and reversed compass bezel to aid in navigation in the Southern Hemisphere. The ceramic finishing is also quite muted which surprised me.

That is very cool! Not seen one before.

Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    SPB149...I think ceramic insert? Or is it all watch only qualifies?
    I dont think those Seikos have a ceramic insert. Isnt it metal?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I dont think those Seikos have a ceramic insert. Isnt it metal?
    Not sure but the first three articles on google search for SPB149 mention ceramic brushed insert. Either way it still doesnt qualify :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob777 View Post
    My monocoque ceramic Seiko Landmaster LE... ...has a reverse GMT movement (it travels anti-clockwise) and reversed compass bezel to aid in navigation in the Southern Hemisphere.
    That is really cool - especially the anti-clockwise hand (though I imagine it would confuse me every time I look at it).

Master
    Love that, might be interested, used to have a Chanel.

Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post

Heres mine but it will be up for sale soon.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    Not sure but the first three articles on google search for SPB149 mention ceramic brushed insert. Either way it still doesnt qualify :)
    Its painted metal.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    That is very cool! Not seen one before.
    Thanks mate. Seiko did make a few versions of these. There's another similar ceramic Landmaster that was even rarer I believe at only 700 pieces.
    I used to have the more common titanium version which I loved but couldn't justify keeping two watches that were so similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    That is really cool - especially the anti-clockwise hand (though I imagine it would confuse me every time I look at it).
    Haha! It did take a while to get used to it but I don't notice it much anymore, except when I'm adjusting timezones.

Cheating, I know, but this is on the long term to-do list:

And worse still - this is on the "can only dream" list

Master
    Here's mine - love it!

Really need to try on a B&R ceramic. Love the look but not sure my wrist is big enough for one

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Bold prediction: This thread is going to be bumped in about 6 months with another B&R, a solitary Panerai and a story about a broken IWC. It will then drop to the dark depths of the forum and never be seen again!
    Well Done Papa Hotel for saying this on your own post.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

GP Laureato Ceramic, sadly no longer mine.

Master
    Really need to try on a B&R ceramic. Love the look but not sure my wrist is big enough for one
    The BR03 is "only" 42mm, and quite slim. The rubber strap in my pic makes it look bigger, the supplied 2 piece nylon slims it down considerably. Cracking watches, I'm on my second.

Cracking watches ...

... I'm on my second.

Blog Entries
    Only fully ceramic watch I’ve had. It was a beauty but has since moved on.

Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it. HHGTTG

Master

PAM 1661

Only one i've had too. Oddly not had the wrist time i thought it would have, so i should rectify that.....

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Only fully ceramic watch Ive had. It was a beauty but has since moved on.

Stunner

Golden Tuna with its ceramic shroud.

Last edited by j111dja; 20th May 2021 at 22:14.

Craftsman

Show us your CERAMIC watches!

Hi,

I saw a comment about broken IWCs. I remember those pictures from a while ago (along with a broken Panerai and Omega I believe were the well known incidents) and I have not seen too many other accounts of smashed ceramic watches.

Are ceramic watches really that fragile? The reason I am asking is am considering the GP ceramic Laureato skeleton. Have been for some time and trying to get the funds together. I have watches with ceramic bezels and they have Been fine. So are full ceramics very fragile and a no go??

Look forward to peoples thoughts abs experiences.

BW,
    Chi Kai

Last edited by Ctam; 22nd May 2021 at 12:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Ctam View Post
    Hi,

I saw a comment about broken IWCs. I remember those pictures from a while ago (along with a broken Panerai and Omega I believe were the well known incidents) and I have not seen too many other accounts of smashed ceramic watches.

Are ceramic watches really that fragile? The reason I am asking is am considering the GP ceramic Laureato skeleton. Have been for some time and trying to get the funds together. I have watches with ceramic bezels and they have Been fine. So are full ceramics very fragile and a no go??

Look forward to peoples thoughts abs experiences.

BW,
    Chi Kai

They are never going to be as popular as steel, titanium, bronze or even plastic, but apart from my single tongue-in-cheek reference to the broken IWC, you've got a thread full of happy campers with their ceramic watches and no tales of woe.

Craftsman
    They are never going to be as popular as steel, titanium, bronze or even plastic, but apart from my single tongue-in-cheek reference to the broken IWC, you've got a thread full of happy campers with their ceramic watches and no tales of woe.
    I agree. The material is not as easy to work with as metals.

But glad that people are generally happy with their ceramics and they are not breaking as easily as I had imagined. Because I am quite smitten with the Laureato ceramic skeleton!

BW,
    Chi Kai

Get it bought. I don't think it's unfair to say this forum tends towards the conservative with watches, a GP ceramic skeleton would be great to see amongst the usual fare.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    Golden Tuna with its ceramic shroud.

I'll see your Golden Tuna, and raise you a golden Emperor Tuna! 

Craftsman
    Get it bought. I don't think it's unfair to say this forum tends towards the conservative with watches, a GP ceramic skeleton would be great to see amongst the usual fare.
    I do tend to gravitate towards the more different models.

For the GP Laureato skeleton, it is just a matter of time. Have a few other financial obligations to settle first so hopefully by the end of this year or beginning of next!

BW,
    Chi Kai

I'll see your Golden Tuna, and raise you a golden Emperor Tuna! 

I'll see your Emperor Tuna and not raise you too much as it's way too big for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post

Excellent 😂

Somewhat unexpectedly (to me at least), looks like Tudor wants a piece of the ceramic action:

3,550 isn't ludicrous, either.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Somewhat unexpectedly (to me at least), looks like Tudor wants a piece of the ceramic action:

3,550 isn't ludicrous, either.
    Agree it is a very cool piece!

Master
    Smaller watch life...

Quote Originally Posted by neebsta View Post
    Smaller watch life...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    love both of those. How is the Tudor? Still think its great value (relatively speaking)

lHow is the Tudor?
    I'm still on the fence to be honest. I want to love it, but at the moment I actually think it looks better in pictures than in the flesh.
    I say "at the moment" because I haven't really had the opportunity to bond with it yet. I bought it when COVID restrictions were being tightened (the AD personally delivered the watch to my house), and the following week (mid July) we went into full lockdown, and have been in that same situation until this week, where we are now at least allowed out.
    So I haven't really worn a watch for three months, other than to put a few on for something to pass the time. Hence not bonding with it yet. I will give it some wrist time when I can get out and about and back to work.

In terms of the actual watch - It's very legible when reading the time. The script on the dial is barely visible, and is massively exacerbated in photos, which adds to the stealth.
    Quality and finish is right up there; the case is very crisp and the contrast of bevelled edges and the matt case give it a certain bling. Bezel action is nice and positive. The crown is rock solid and easy to grip and wind/adjust. The slightly domed and raised crystal could do with AR as there is a lot of reflection.

It's nice and light at 106g but not unnoticeable on the wrist. The leather/rubber hybrid strap is the same as is on the PO1 (which I also have) but with blackened steel clasp. The 41mm and 14.4mm case wears well on my 6.75 inch wrist.

The open caseback is a nice touch and the MT5602-1U blacked out and decorated movement looks cool. I only tested the time keeping over the first few days of ownership, which was a mix of wearing around the house and sitting off the wrist. It came in at +1 spd, which is excellent but expected of the master chronometer movement (0 +5).

The supplied fabric strap is gash and needs to go in the bin. I've felt better quality hessian bags. I'm gonna buy a mixture of straps for it when deliveries start up again as I think that may improve my bond. Time will tell.
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 17th October 2021 at 03:50.

Master
    I'm still on the fence to be honest. I want to love it, but at the moment I actually think it looks better in pictures than in the flesh.
    I say "at the moment" because I haven't really had the opportunity to bond with it yet. I bought it when COVID restrictions were being tightened (the AD personally delivered the watch to my house), and the following week (mid July) we went into full lockdown, and have been it that same situation until this week, where we are now at least allowed out.
    So I haven't really worn a watch for three months, other than to put a few on for something to pass the time. Hence not bonding with it yet. I will give it some wrist time when I can get out and about and back to work.

In terms of the actual watch - It's very legible when reading the time. The script on the dial is barely visible, and is massively exacerbated in photos, which adds to the stealth.
    Quality and finish is right up there; the case is very crisp and the contrast of bevelled edges and the matt case give it a certain bling. Bezel action is nice and positive. The crown is rock solid and easy to grip and wind/adjust. The slightly domed and raised crystal could do with AR as there is a lot of reflection.

It's nice and light at 106g but not unnoticeable on the wrist. The leather/rubber hybrid strap is the same as is on the PO1 (which I also have) but with blackened steel clasp. The 41mm and 14.4mm case wears well on my 6.75 inch wrist.

The open caseback is a nice touch and the MT5602-1U blacked out and decorated movement looks cool. I only tested the time keeping over the first few days of ownership, which was a mix of wearing around the house and sitting off the wrist. It came in at +1 spd, which is excellent but expected of the master chronometer movement (0 +5).

The supplied fabric strap is gash and needs to go in the bin. I've felt better quality hessian bags. I'm gonna buy a mixture of straps for it when deliveries start up again as I think that may improve my bond. Time will tell.
    Really like the look of the Tudor (although only handled for a couple of minutes in an AD) Surprised you don’t like the supplied Tudor nylon strap - the 2 I’ve had (original BB - now gone, and original bronze BB - still have) have been excellent (IMO)

Really like the look of the Tudor (although only handled for a couple of minutes in an AD) Surprised you dont like the supplied Tudor nylon strap - the 2 Ive had (original BB - now gone, and original bronze BB - still have) have been excellent (IMO)
    Maybe it's different? The supplied Nato on my Heritage Chrono is very nice.

Interesting thoughts about the Tudor Jon. Half the reason I bought the Pelagos was seeing posts from you and GavBaz. Unfortunately not enough adjustment in the clasp for me and it was either too loose all day or too tight half the day. The rest of the time it was perfect. Shame.

I've tried and failed now with the 2x BB Blacks, 1x BB Harrods, 1x Pelagos. I should have learned my lesson by now but I'm really interested in the Ceramic. Trying to keep my powder dry as I think I'll have one or two for the end of the year but wouldn't rule out a BB Ceramic next year at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Unfortunately not enough adjustment in the clasp for me and it was either too loose all day or too tight half the day.
    Yeah, I remember you saying that. Whereas I'm the total opposite and think the bracelet is pretty much perfection. And in writing this I think I have just answered my own question... It's the strap and deployant that is the issue. I have the P01 and the Ceramic both on deployants and like the look of them but am not overwhelmed when on the wrist, but I have the Pelagos and Heritage Chrono on bracelets and love them. As I said in my OP. I'll have to try a few straps out and see how we go. Obviously not so simple on the P01.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I've tried and failed now with the 2x BB Blacks, 1x BB Harrods, 1x Pelagos. I should have learned my lesson by now but I'm really interested in the Ceramic. Trying to keep my powder dry as I think I'll have one or two for the end of the year but wouldn't rule out a BB Ceramic next year at some point.
    Doesn't sound like a brand for you to be honest. Give me a shout if you decide you may want to go for one, and if I can work it out logistically, you can borrow the Ceramic for a few days to give it a run out.

Yeah, I remember you saying that. Whereas I'm the total opposite and think the bracelet is pretty much perfection. And in writing this I think I have just answered my own question... It's the strap and deployant that is the issue. I have the P01 and the Ceramic both on deployants and like the look of them but am not overwhelmed when on the wrist, but I have the Pelagos and Heritage Chrono on bracelets and love them. As I said in my OP. I'll have to try a few straps out and see how we go. Obviously not so simple on the P01.

Doesn't sound like a brand for you to be honest. Give me a shout if you decide you may want to go for one, and if I can work it out logistically, you can borrow the Ceramic for a few days to give it a run out.
    I think once the T-Glide clasp is in regular watches I'll be good with the adjustments, just have to wait 1-3 years I think.

Very kind of you re the loan. Thank you. I think by the time you're back I'll have decided one way or another. I'm taking my friend to the AD this afternoon so I'll see if I can try one on at the same time.

It's probably not the brand for me but it is nice wearing a "proper watch" that you don't have to care about in London. I was in Walthamstow the other week at midnight in a t-shirt waiting 20 mins for my food on the street thinking "great, nice ceramic Rolex . Ideal." Missed the Pelagos dearly then.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 10th October 2021 at 11:28.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Was hoping to see one in town yesterday but no luck.

Master
    I say "at the moment" because I haven't really had the opportunity to bond with it yet. I bought it when COVID restrictions were being tightened (the AD personally delivered the watch to my house), and the following week (mid July) we went into full lockdown, and have been it that same situation until this week, where we are now at least allowed out.

I can certainly recommend an Erikas original as an alternative strap. NATO style with a twist. I got two recently and I havent swapped them since they arrived. They are brilliant.