closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rolex 2021 April 7th Release Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I quite like this. Pity it is only 36mm.

I’d buy exact watch that for my wife if only they went back to the ‘super jubilee’ bracelet and clasp...

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    PostieMickP will be along to educate you shortly
    Hi what's your problem with Mick ?
    Is your opinion all that matters ?
    Nothing worse than a bully

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    All this outrage for the explorer 2 just makes me want one more. They updated what needed to be updated, better movement, better bracelet, bit of a diet and better process for the hands. And they kept the good points that it already had, steel bezel, great case size, very easy to read.

Some of this backlash makes me think people are upset they won't get a huge markup if they bought one and flipped it in a couple of years.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Yes I agree.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

The Palm Datejust is so evocative of a Henri Rousseau painting; all it's missing is a tiger peeking out through the foliage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoughie0 View Post
    The Palm Datejust is so evocative of a Henri Rousseau painting; all it's missing is a tiger peeking out through the foliage.

And for £80 you even get the Tiger

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubymac View Post
    Hi what's your problem with Mick ?
    Is your opinion all that matters ?
    Nothing worse than a bully
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Shoughie0 View Post
    That comes next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    And for £80 you even get the Tiger
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I've now gone and bought one ... the Swatch, not the Rolex.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    The palm dial is alright, but I really like this ‘faceted’ pattern in blue. I don’t really need another datejust, but could be very tempted in this configuration - with brushed centre links obviously.

Edit - beaten to it above!

I've an appointment with my AD in a couple of weeks when store is due to reopen. It's to buy my first Rolex - a 36mm DJ with blue dial, fluted bezel, and baton markers (my favourite configuration). However I'm now torn as to whether to ask for the new blue dial version! I think it looks lovely.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    I am in the minority here, but despise the return to the 36mm. Mainly as have been trying to obtain the 39mm for her 40th in July for about 3yrs & now have a ticking time bomb of low availability, discontinued & only a few months to go. Bugger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I don't like Daytona's at all, but the macro shots of that meteorite dial are amazing. I'm going to have to find something I like with one at some point.
    I liked the palm datejust on first viewing but the comparison with the GS really makes it look cheap so it's a no from me.

Really pleased with the 36mm Explorer. It's always been my favourite and the only one I'd consider buying. If they bring out a gilt dial in the next few years I don't think I'd be able to hold out.

I have to agree. I think it's bold and certainly different for the usually conservative brand.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Its a deco palm motif.
    If it had gs on the dial those who are all over birch spring summer autumn winter blueflake snowflake etc would be singing a different tune.

I think its the most interesting element of this years releases which have otherwise been mind numbingly dull.

If that's the watch she really wants then I hope you're able to source it for her. Your example really does illustrate the absurdity of buying Rolex though. Personally I'd just walk away and buy another brand. It would feel too much like they were doing my a favour by taking many thousands of pounds off me. Bollocks to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I am in the minority here, but despise the return to the 36mm. Mainly as have been trying to obtain the 39mm for her 40th in July for about 3yrs & now have a ticking time bomb of low availability, discontinued & only a few months to go. Bugger.

Not sure about your wife but mine would probably rather a different model than pre-owned even if the pre-owned is somehow worth more.

Could be OP or DateJust time... Maybe even Exp 36mm but time will be against you on that one.

I'm with you btw I think the 39mm Explorer was perfection and it's a shame to see it go. It could have gone the way of the DateJust and DayDate imo, room for both sizes in the catalogue.

Craftsman
    On the explorer 2, what exactly is the improvement on the bracelet? I had a 2012 model of the explorer 2 and I can’t see the difference. It’s been a while since I sold that on though so I might have forgotten. I’m sure it had easy link and the flip lock even in those days.

I've read that the lugs are 1mm different each side to allow a different bracelet but I'm not fully up to speed.

For the polar version I found these two pictures online quite helpful re the hands and hour markers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Not sure about your wife but mine would probably rather a different model than pre-owned even if the pre-owned is somehow worth more.

Could be OP or DateJust time... Maybe even Exp 36mm but time will be against you on that one.

I'm with you btw I think the 39mm Explorer was perfection and it's a shame to see it go. It could have gone the way of the DateJust and DayDate imo, room for both sizes in the catalogue.
    Yes, I’d need to be pre-owned & unworn at the least, but then I can’t justify the inflated price. She’d slaughter me finding out I’d spent over the RRP.

I did show her an OP with batons & black dial, but she fell in love with the 3,6,9 dial. Even got a sterile one to test the size with her banging into things (seemed cheaper than using my 14060!)

Agree, leaving both in the range would have been fantastic for everyone. Clearly 36mm has a huge following though.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

For the polar version I found these two pictures online quite helpful re the hands and hour markers.
    A subtle difference but its an improvement.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    If that's the watch she really wants then I hope you're able to source it for her. Your example really does illustrate the absurdity of buying Rolex though. Personally I'd just walk away and buy another brand. It would feel too much like they were doing me a favour by selling me something which was immediately worth more than I paid for it. Bollocks to that.
    FTFY

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Its a deco palm motif.
    If it had gs on the dial those who are all over birch spring summer autumn winter blueflake snowflake etc would be singing a different tune.

I think its the most interesting element of this years releases which have otherwise been mind numbingly dull.
    Would go well at the Fountain Coffee Room with a BLT and coffee! (I know wrong leaves but nobody's perfect)

Get her the 36mm one and forget the 39mm ever existed.

Master
    I can’t be the only one that thinks the proportions of the new Explorer seem so show a slightly larger case than the 36mm reference would imply.

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    I can’t be the only one that thinks the proportions of the new Explorer seem so show a slightly larger case than the 36mm reference would imply.
    You are not, I think the case will be 37mm

Quote Originally Posted by fogar View Post
    You are not, I think the case will be 37mm
    No doubt someone on TRF will have the callipers on one shortly.

Any idea when the new Explorers will hit the shops....err grey dealers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdinand101 View Post
    Any idea when the new Explorers will hit the shops....err grey dealers?
    End of month.

I’m wondering if they’ll let me order an oyster bracelet for my BLRO now? It might help me from resisting to buy another watch :)

I have an older 36mm Explorer, which initially I loved. But over time I’ve started to feel it’s just too small on the wrist. I’ve just sold a Black Bay 41mm to fund a Black Bay 58 (39mm), which I have to say is (for me) the perfect size. Personally I’m a bit sad the 39mm Explorer has been discontinued as I’d planned to size up on my next purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    End of month.
    I'm off to register my interest in person next weekend. Hoping as it's 'only' an Exp 2 there could be some surprise and delight but wishful thinking I know.

Explorer II has been improved a lot imo.

Bracelet seems wider with less taper. Like on the new Submariner. So fits and looks much better than previous 20mm.

Also the black “frosted” hands and indices finish looks fantastic on the polar dial. They should have used the same in white on the black model, not shiny white gold!

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Explorer II has been improved a lot imo.

Bracelet seems wider with less taper. Like on the new Submariner. So fits and looks much better than previous 20mm.

Also the black “frosted” hands and indices finish looks fantastic on the polar dial. They should have used the same in white on the black model, not shiny white gold!
    I think it’s my favourite Rolex release of the bunch. So how fog you buy one? Ring every Rolex dealership and put your name down?

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    I think it’s my favourite Rolex release of the bunch. So how fog you buy one? Ring every Rolex dealership and put your name down?
    I like it a lot, but not particularly interested in Explorer II.

Did send AD a message politely asking when Explorer may become available. Hopefully soon.

Bracelet is 22mm tapering down to 17mm.

Perfect fit for the 42mm case. Old one was too narrow.

I quite like it, reminds me of an early 90's Tag Heuer 1000

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I quite like it, reminds me of an early 90's Tag Heuer 1000

Because of the hands?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Because of the hands?
    Black dial I think.

Journeyman
    I am pleased they are downsizing the Explorer rather than making it larger, which otherwise seemed the trend in case size. I'm not entirely sure I would want a 36mm - my favorite watch is my 39mm Explorer, and though I wouldn't mind the profile being slightly smaller, I don't know that 36mm is ideal either - but I know plenty of people do, and appreciate having more size diversity in the professional collection now when most of the rest is 40mm and up.

I seem to be in the minority in thinking that as far as two-tone watches go, the Explorer looks pretty decent. It isn't really my style and I wouldn't buy it myself (for me, the Explorer will always be the quintessential understated tool watch, and is far and away best in steel), but I can imagine certain people liking it, and to each his own. I disliked it immensely when I first saw it, but once the shock wore off I would have to say I thought it looked pretty handsome for that style of watch.

Disappointed there hasn't been more done with the Explorer II to mark the 50th anniversary, which feels a wasted opportunity.

Master
    If I had the choice, I would have loved the 36mm explorer as that really is the OG sports Rolex, but I'm more than happy with the 39mm.

Shame they couldn't co-exist at the same time like the DJ.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    I found the 39mm 214270 MK2 to wear larger than the 40mm Submariner. I passed on buying one. Very pleased that they’ve now releasing a 36mm
    Edit: I did a double take when seeing the 36mm release. Thank you Rolex for this change :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mysqueek View Post
    I found the 39mm 214270 MK2 to wear larger than the 40mm Submariner. I passed on buying one. Very pleased that they’ve now releasing a 36mm
    Edit: I did a double take when seeing the 36mm release. Thank you Rolex for this change :)
    Absolutely!

Just seen that WF are now selling a 2016 Explorer 2 for £10,850 with very few available on the site. When I sold mine a few months ago, they had loads in stock around the £7900 price range and at the start of lockdown last year they were offering only about £4000 to buy my mint 2018 model.

Crazy.

Master
    I assume the two-tone 36mm Explorer I is for women who buy Mercedes G Class AMG to 'off road' to Harrods?
    Last edited by J J Carter; 9th April 2021 at 18:26.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    I assume the two-tone 36mm Explorer I is for women who buy Mercedes G Class AMG to 'off road' to Harrods?
    Shouldn't talk about poor old Skyman like that!

Some time ago having purchased an expensive Grand Seiko from Watches of Switzerland Regent Street they ‘registered my interest’ in a steel Submariner.
    I thought I’d follow it up with an email and today got this reply-

free photo upload

Do I assume the new models are High Demand or Super High Demand or crap?

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    Some time ago having purchased an expensive Grand Seiko from Watches of Switzerland Regent Street they ‘registered my interest’ in a steel Submariner.

Do I assume the new models are High Demand or Super High Demand or crap?
    I just find the spelling offensive to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    How did you reply?

How did you reply?
    Hopefully something along the lines of “did your 4 year old son compose that dreadfully inept attempt at a coherent email”.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I just find the spelling offensive to be honest.
    I’ve been known to make the odd error, like many, but that email is a shocker.

How did you reply?
    Knowing it’s a waste of time